F1 2022 Season

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Not sure Steiner would have any choice in the decision.

Gene Haas is probably not going to want to be aligned with the Russians anymore at this point.

There would be no shortage of paid drivers wanting the seat right now also.
Or Shwartzman who deserves a slot but he's Russian too.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Max Verstappen says removal of Michael Masi as race director 'very unfair' - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/60512909

:lol:
It's not as bad if you read his full comments:
Verstappen said: "Of course people talk about what was decided in Abu Dhabi but can you imagine a referee in whatever sport has the coach or equivalent screaming in his ear all the time?

"'Yellow card, red card, no decision, no foul.' It's impossible to make a decision.

"That F1 allowed that team members could talk to him while making decisions is very wrong. It needed to be Michael making decisions on his own without people screaming in his ear.

"The people who sacked him allowed that in the first place. For me (that) is unacceptable and now to sack him I find it really incredible.

"I feel very sorry for Michael because he was very capable and a good race director.

"I have nothing against the new race directors. They are also very capable and good but I felt sad for Michael and I sent him a text."

The Dutchman said Masi had been put in a difficult position when he took over the race director role when FIA F1 director Charlie Whiting died on the eve of the 2019 season.

Race director was one of the roles Whiting performed.

"After Charlie died, it is hard to take over from someone like him, he had so much experience," Verstappen said.

"And also Charlie had help around him and maybe Michael just needed a little bit more."
He's right that people higher up need to take a significant share of the blame here, as they put the procedures in place that made Masi's work difficult, and they are also the ones who appointed Masi as race director while he was inexperienced and didn't have the proper support. It's true that that's not very fair to Masi.

But be that as it may, Masi still made poor decisions and his position had become untenable. Whatever Verstappen thinks, Masi was clearly not 'a good race director' last season.

hobbers

But be that as it may, Masi still made poor decisions and his position had become untenable. Whatever Verstappen thinks, Masi was clearly not 'a good race director' last season.
He wasn't but then I don't think anyone else would have done a better job thrown into such an isolated role in the same circumstances.

Basically a scapegoat to FIA's lack of planning not accounting for Charlie retiring, getting ill, or as sadly happened, dying suddenly.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

He's right that people higher up need to take a significant share of the blame here, as they put the procedures in place that made Masi's work difficult, and they are also the ones who appointed Masi as race director while he was inexperienced and didn't have the proper support. It's true that that's not very fair to Masi.

Yes indeed. He tried too hard to be all things to all men and failed as a result.
I don't doubt his knowledge and abilities. But once you open the communication up in the way he did, the floodgates opened.
He was then completely swamped with requests and was not strong enough to tell them to shut the fxxx up and let me do my job.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
He wasn't but then I don't think anyone else would have done a better job thrown into such an isolated role in the same circumstances.

Basically a scapegoat to FIA's lack of planning not accounting for Charlie retiring, getting ill, or as sadly happened, dying suddenly.
Unfortunately, I don't think that under the circumstances he allowed to take place, it is difficult to see that anyone could have done a more damaging job.
His problems were self inflicted.

hobbers

Unfortunately, I don't think that under the circumstances he allowed to take place, it is difficult to see that anyone could have done a more damaging job.
His problems were self inflicted.
Well they obviously weren't self inflicted. He didn't make the decision to let Toto and Horner scream in his ear for most of the race demanding he not put out a safety car or demanding the lapped cars get to pass.

He also didn't decide on his own that they should avoid finishing races under safety car at all costs. It was all the teams who collectively agreed to that and put that extra pressure on him.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Well they obviously weren't self inflicted. He didn't make the decision to let Toto and Horner scream in his ear for most of the race demanding he not put out a safety car or demanding the lapped cars get to pass.

He also didn't decide on his own that they should avoid finishing races under safety car at all costs. It was all the teams who collectively agreed to that and put that extra pressure on him.
Yes it was. Because of the simple fact that he allowed the teams to lobby him during the previous races.
He should have recognised what was happening and put a stop to it.
Anyway, the FIA have made their decision and he is no longer race director is he.

diarm

What happens to the points for Sochi? Do they just give them to Verstappen?

Abizzz

Yes it was. Because of the simple fact that he allowed the teams to lobby him during the previous races.
Anyway, the FIA have made their decision and he is no longer race director is he.
Indeed. Especially since "the race director has the ultimate power to change the rules".

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Not a big loss though, I also found it weird that he would contact teams and offer them deals instead of race stewards announcing penalties. Giving up positions, "brake check" etc could have been avoided easily.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
From what I understand, it's been Masi's approach from the start to be very open and communicative. I suppose it helped him at the start of his tenure, to gain confidence and understanding from the teams, and to learn more quickly and understand things better himself as well. But this ultimately did lead to last season's issues, and so 'people screaming in his ear' was ultimately also a problem of his own making.

Fluctuation0161

I did read it. For me it's just as bad. His comparison is a dud because football refs do have players and managers shouting for decisions.

It reads like Max trying to justify his mate who handed him his title.

diarm

I did read it. For me it's just as bad. His comparison is a dud because football refs do have players and managers shouting for decisions.

It reads like Max trying to justify his mate who handed him his title.
Particularly a day after Lewis has called out stewards and officials being overly familiar with drivers. Timing.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Masi's problem was he had no backbone and was too wishy washy.

He needs to make his mind up and stick to it. What he allowed to happen in Abu Dhabi was on him. Should have just stuck to the rules but got swayed by Red Bulls Jonathan Wheatley in his ear constantly.

All season he'd been undermining him and making him look a fool - he cracked under the pressure more than once.

Maybe it was too big of a job for 1 man, but he will take the brunt of it.

Abizzz

Shit :lol: . I should've read the last page before jumping in thinking I was being hilarious!
:D

On the current discussion about Max and Masi. Max is the one person I really can't blame for this (in the final race, stuff before is a different story). Max only went for what was given to him, like one would expect from any racer. It must have felt like a miracle to get that chance after how the race had gone for him. It's only human to rationalise it internally and be in favor of the person granting that miracle.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
I see Mercedes finally showed their legs and did the fastest time of the test so far.

So much for them being behind ;)
Just a bit of caution, it was set on the softest tyres, I hope the big boys will end up with a similar race pace, last thing the sport needs is another 1 team procession to the championship.

F-Red

Not sure Steiner would have any choice in the decision.

Gene Haas is probably not going to want to be aligned with the Russians anymore at this point.

There would be no shortage of paid drivers wanting the seat right now also.
I'm not sure it's about alignment, it's more that the USA government will restrict businesses from doing business with Russia. Haas is pretty confident it's moving to that next stage so he's cutting the contract now and will then look for other sponsors. BWT is one that screams to me that they will want more pink on the grid.

I reckon we could see a return for Antonio Giovanazzi here. Fits the profile well, and has experience in a car to jump straight in.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
From what I understand, it's been Masi's approach from the start to be very open and communicative. I suppose it helped him at the start of his tenure, to gain confidence and understanding from the teams, and to learn more quickly and understand things better himself as well. But this ultimately did lead to last season's issues, and so 'people screaming in his ear' was ultimately also a problem of his own making.
Exactly that. Glad to see someone understands.

Adam-Utd

Just a bit of caution, it was set on the softest tyres, I hope the big boys will end up with a similar race pace, last thing the sport needs is another 1 team procession to the championship.
It was faster than both Mclaren and Ferrari's best times on the same tyre I believe.

Obviously still doesn't mean much - but that's all we have to go on.
I'm not sure it's about alignment, it's more that the USA government will restrict businesses from doing business with Russia. Haas is pretty confident it's moving to that next stage so he's cutting the contract now and will then look for other sponsors. BWT is one that screams to me that they will want more pink on the grid.

I reckon we could see a return for Antonio Giovanazzi here. Fits the profile well, and has experience in a car to jump straight in.
Well yes that also. I'm sure they'll have no issue finding a new sponsor if they can break the contract.

redshaw

What happens to the points for Sochi? Do they just give them to Verstappen?
I think what happens is they have a bonus race at an alternate venue. Verstappen is given new tyres and Hamilton has to use the oldest tyres from the previous race. The order from the previous race is used but any car between Max and Lewis is allowed to be cleared, they fairly duke it out on the track and then the winner collects 25 points.

Adam-Utd

So, another 1-2 in testing for Mercedes. Surprise surprise!

Will be interesting to see where teams can improve between now and Bahrain.

Barcelona pre-season test: Day Three timesheet

pauldyson1uk

I am not reading much in to the timing to be honest, good 3 day shakedown.

Barcelona pre-season test: Day Three timesheet
DriverTeamTimeTyresLaps
1) Lewis HamiltonMercedes1:19.138C5 (very soft)94
2) George RussellMercedes1:19.233C566
3) Sergio PerezRed Bull1:19.556C4 (soft)74
4) Max VerstappenRed Bull1:19.756C3 (medium)59
5) Sebastian VettelAston Martin1:19.824C548
6) Charles LeclercFerrari1:19.831C344
7) Carlos SainzFerrari1:20.072C392
8) Alex AlbonWilliams1:20.318C494
9) Nicholas LatifiWilliams1:20.699C413
10) Daniel RicciardoMcLaren1:20.750C386
11) Lando NorrisMcLaren1:20.827C352
12) Fernando AlonsoAlpine1:21.242C312
13) Guanyu ZhouAlfa Romeo1:21.939C341
14) Pierre GaslyAlphaTauri1:22.469C440
15) Nikita MazepinHaas1:26.229C39
16) Valtteri BottasAlfa Romeo1:30.433C310

hobbers

Be curious to know what the time differences are between compounds with these new tyres.

slyadams

Could you publish the source of this agreement?

hobbers

Could you publish the source of this agreement?
Zak Brown:

“But at times it has seemed the sport is governed by certain teams. Let us not forget that we, the teams, have contributed to the inconsistencies in the policing of the regulations as much as anyone ... It is the teams who applied the pressure to avoid finishing races under a Safety Car at all costs.”

In other words, stop whinging Toto you only got what you asked for.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
I was thinking the same, Lewis and George on the c5, looks to be .3 / .4 faster than C4 and .6 than C3, how this will translate at race pace will be interesting.
I think we a know that the fastest laps over this week would be obliterated under qualifying conditions. As for the testing I’m starting to think they should of added an extra testing week to the schedule, as half the teams could rock up in the Bahrain test week thinking they have fixed the porpoise problem only to see it again, it’s a brand new car design after all.

pauldyson1uk

I think we a know that the fastest laps over this week would be obliterated under qualifying conditions. As for the testing I’m starting to think they should of added an extra testing week to the schedule, as half the teams could rock up in the Bahrain test week thinking they have fixed the porpoise problem only to see it again, it’s a brand new car design after all.
Testing times are pretty much not relevant , well I dont think so.
I only take a passing interest to be honest.
I agree about another testing, the porpoise problem could be a big problem for some teams.
I would hate to see it at full race speed.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Stop peddling this bullshit until you show actual evidence of this.

hobbers

Stop peddling this bullshit until you show actual evidence of this.
I already did..? Not that I should have to, given all the media coverage and the existence of google.

Weird to get worked up about something that's both innocuous and common knowledge. It doesn't change the fact that Masi used a creative interpretation of the rules to get to the desired outcome, which he shouldn't have done. But the outcome itself (not finishing under a safety car) was something the teams (including Toto) demanded of him.