F1 2022 Season

ArjenIsM3

Well the debate is around what’s included in the budget, as not all costs are. Horner said he will be fully transparent so we shall find out soon.
Yep, it's not as black and white as some on here are claiming.

They will be done for overspend next season as well i.e. current 2022 season. As ferrari and mercedes have commented that RBs current spending on parts this season is in excess of the cost cap budget.

Basically RB are putting on lighter parts and ferrari and mercedes dont understand how financially RB can do it without breaking the cap.

#CheatsProsperInF1
Mercedes have upgraded the car a whole lot more than Red Bull have this season according to AMuS.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/formel-1/f1-technik-analyse-aerodynamik-upgrades-2022/

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
They will be done for overspend next season as well i.e. current 2022 season. As ferrari and mercedes have commented that RBs current spending on parts this season is in excess of the cost cap budget.

Basically RB are putting on lighter parts and ferrari and mercedes dont understand how financially RB can do it without breaking the cap.

#CheatsProsperInF1
Correct.
Their last 2 Verstappen driver WC and Verstappen driver and RB manufacture WC are and will always be taunted by controversy. Especially by those who follow and understand F1.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What I mean is that the team are currently called Alfa Romeo. Sauber as a team are not currently racing in F1. Simple really.
Sauber are actually the team that's racing, they're just partnered with Alfa Romeo.

When Alfa leave nothing will change apart from their partnership with Ferrari

hobbers

Why. Is that against F1 rules and budget cap.
They have had to do that because of their underperforming car. That still is underperforming.
The point is that Mercedes have obviously spent more on upgrades than RB this season. They’ve also spent much more on repairs, because their drivers can’t seem to stop crashing into things.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The point is that Mercedes have obviously spent more on upgrades than RB this season. They’ve also spent much more on repairs, because their drivers can’t seem to stop crashing into things.
Ok. Let's see if they comply with the budget cap. And if not, you have a point.

Adam-Utd

:lol: are you being dense on purpose or what? thats how title sponsporship works. Alfa and Orlen are the 2 main sponsors. I suppose you're going to tell me Alpine own the team too right?

the team could be called disneyland and wearing a mickey mouse head for a helmet, but they'd still be Sauber under the clothing.

It's a sponsorship, Alfa own nothing of the team that is racing. When they leave Sauber are partnering with Audi. Unless they buy out Sauber, it'll still be Sauber.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
:lol: are you being dense on purpose or what? thats how title sponsporship works. Alfa and Orlen are the 2 main sponsors. I suppose you're going to tell me Alpine own the team too right?

the team could be called disneyland and wearing a mickey mouse head for a helmet, but they'd still be Sauber under the clothing.

It's a sponsorship, Alfa own nothing of the team that is racing. When they leave Sauber are partnering with Audi. Unless they buy out Sauber, it'll still be Sauber.
There you go. I am always totally unimpressed by people who have to resort to insults to try and make their point. Which you have and failed.

Adam-Utd

There you go. I am always totally unimpressed by people who have to resort to insults to try and make their point. Which you have and failed.
Unfortunately I had to prove my point twice which you chose to ignore. It's ok to admit you failed and you're wrong snowflake xx

I guess that leaves us both unimpressed, but only 1 correct ;)

F-Red

What I mean is that the team are currently called Alfa Romeo. Sauber as a team are not currently racing in F1. Simple really.
Alfa are just a title sponsor and technical partner, the team is still Sauber on all but the race entry.

ArjenIsM3

Why. Is that against F1 rules and budget cap.
They have had to do that because of their underperforming car. That still is underperforming.
I'm not saying that it's against the rules. It's not. But it's a bit odd that Mercedes are questioning how Red Bull can upgrade their car and stay under the cap while they've done a lot more upgrades themselves isn't it? And the article is from before the USA GP and Mercedes brought a big upgrade package to that GP as well.

dinostar77

Will bookmark this post for next years audit results. Seeing as RB have brought updates to every race and have been lightening the weight of the car for awhile now. Something mercedes and ferrari cant afford to do this season.

dinostar77

I'm not saying that it's against the rules. It's not. But it's a bit odd that Mercedes are questioning how Red Bull can upgrade their car and stay under the cap while they've done a lot more upgrades themselves isn't it? And the article is from before the USA GP and Mercedes brought a big upgrade package to that GP as well.
Big difference between spending on smaller cheaper parts to fix porposing and then do development on your car than spending £2mil on a lighter chassis for august when you've already sown up the wdc and constructors.

The chassis cost will definetly rear its head in the 2022 audit as both binotto and totto have gone on record querying how redbull can afford it.

sepulturite

It's design benefits from spending more than they should have, which surely should be against the rules.
The budget cap is in regards to 2021, not this year, no one knows anything about this year's budget cap yet, so calling this year's car illegal makes no sense.

F-Red

The budget cap is in regards to 2021, not this year, no one knows anything about this year's budget cap yet, so calling this year's car illegal makes no sense.
When do you think 2022 cars are designed & from what years budget?

hobbers

Will bookmark this post for next years audit results. Seeing as RB have brought updates to every race and have been lightening the weight of the car for awhile now. Something mercedes and ferrari cant afford to do this season.
Except they have done.

The difference is RB have brought 3 big upgrade packages that have worked. Whereas no one cares about Mercedes trying their 7th different rear wing and the result still being shit.

Rescuing a shitbox is obviously going to be much more expensive than perfecting the best car on the grid. This illegal front wing is going to be another great example of them flushing money down the toilet.

sepulturite

When do you think 2022 cars are designed & from what years budget?
I would assume it's from the budget of the year the car is going to race in, so 2022? I honestly don't know, that just makes the most sense to me. And from the talk you always hear every year when they talk about car development it sounds like that's how it works. But because of the budget cap thing the last couple of years I actually don't know now.

F-Red

I would assume it's from the budget of the year the car is going to race in, so 2022? I honestly don't know, that just makes the most sense to me. And from the talk you always hear every year when they talk about car development it sounds like that's how it works. But because of the budget cap thing the last couple of years I actually don't know now.
No, development for this years car would have began probably around June-July 2021, some teams before that. So it would come into budgets from last year, which is why the talk around punishments is so heated amongst some on here.

sepulturite

No, development for this years car would have began probably around June-July 2021, some teams before that. So it would come into budgets from last year, which is why the talk around punishments is so heated amongst some on here.
Oh yeh I know development would have started that far back, it always does, but I haven't seen anything to say that development of this year's car is part of last year's budget, do you have a source for that? It'd be interesting to read.

F-Red

Oh yeh I know development would have started that far back, it always does, but I haven't seen anything to say that development of this year's car is part of last year's budget, do you have a source for that? It'd be interesting to read.
Mentioned by Zak Brown in his comments before the USA Grand Prix.

"The bottom line is any team who has overspent has gained an unfair advantage both in the current and following year’s car development"

dinostar77

Gunther Steiner joining in that cheating i.e. going over budget (ala RedBull) must be punished.

"This is like going below the minimum weight, or using too much fuel. We ourselves were excluded from a race because of a technical violation of three millimetres that didn't even benefit us. But for all those things there is a penalty attached. There is no rule that says if you cheat you will be disqualified. So there you need to find the right penalty for that."

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/150873/steiner-appropriate-punishment-must-be-found-for-cheating.html

ArjenIsM3

Big difference between spending on smaller cheaper parts to fix porposing and then do development on your car than spending £2mil on a lighter chassis for august when you've already sown up the wdc and constructors.

The chassis cost will definetly rear its head in the 2022 audit as both binotto and totto have gone on record querying how redbull can afford it.
Did they ever introduce that rumoured lighter chassis? Because I don't think they did. There was a rumour about a lighter chassis in August yeah (surprise surprise the two rival teams were talking about it..) but Red Bull denied it existed. Later rumours started by Motorsport Italy saying it does exist but was never introduced because Red Bull didn't really need the extra performance and decided to cut costs that way.

Red Bull denying it exists:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gpfans.com/amp/article.php?id=90359

Motorsport Italy claiming Red Bull did develop/test a new chassis at the factory but never introduced it:

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/1335...e-a-lighter-chassis-ready-at-the-factory.html

So in short, looks like it's a non story really.

sepulturite

Mentioned by Zak Brown in his comments before the USA Grand Prix.
Ah ok fair enough, I find it weird that happens to be honest, an awful lot of grey areas if your mixing one year's budget and the next. You'd think they'd just stick with it being a cap for 2021's car only, and the next year's budget for the new car in the rules. But anyway what do I know!

I'm not bothered either ways really, I'm not a fan of either red bull or Mercedes, just can't stand some of mental gymnastics some people employ on here to defend either team, it's nauseating. I think I'll stick with having Ferrari as my favourite team, at least they're just shit most of time :lol:

goalscholes

Ah ok fair enough, I find it weird that happens to be honest, an awful lot of grey areas if your mixing one year's budget and the next. You'd think they'd just stick with it being a cap for 2021's car only, and the next year's budget for the new car in the rules. But anyway what do I know!

I'm not bothered either ways really, I'm not a fan of either red bull or Mercedes, just can't stand some of mental gymnastics some people employ on here to defend either team, it's nauseating. I think I'll stick with having Ferrari as my favourite team, at least they're just shit most of time :lol:
It would enable teams to frontload spending and claim it was for future cars. An upgrade going into and being tested for next year's car could definitely also benefit this year's.

Adam-Utd

Did they ever introduce that rumoured lighter chassis? Because I don't think they did. There was a rumour about a lighter chassis in August yeah (surprise surprise the two rival teams were talking about it..) but Red Bull denied it existed. Later rumours started by Motorsport Italy saying it does exist but was never introduced because Red Bull didn't really need the extra performance and decided to cut costs that way.

Red Bull denying it exists:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gpfans.com/amp/article.php?id=90359

Motorsport Italy claiming Red Bull did develop/test a new chassis at the factory but never introduced it:

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/1335...e-a-lighter-chassis-ready-at-the-factory.html

So in short, looks like it's a non story really.
How can it exist if they didn't spend the money to create it?.

They either made it and chose they didn't need to run it yet, or they've been using it and just pretending they aren't.

My money is on the latter. No coincidence that since those rumours started their performance has increased significantly, especially on tyre wear.

Horner and Red Bull are cut throat and will do anything to win. They knew that they'd be able to push the limits, gain an advantage then blame the world's troubles for cost increases.

ArjenIsM3

How can it exist if they didn't spend the money to create it?.

They either made it and chose they didn't need to run it yet, or they've been using it and just pretending they aren't.

My money is on the latter. No coincidence that since those rumours started their performance has increased significantly, especially on tyre wear.

Horner and Red Bull are cut throat and will do anything to win. They knew that they'd be able to push the limits, gain an advantage then blame the world's troubles for cost increases.
Could be they created a prototype for testing, could be it's for the 2023 car, could be Motorsport Italy are full of it and/or are a mouthpiece for Ferrari/Mercedes, lots of possibilities really. All we know is in late August Red Bull said they didn't have one and weren't planning one on the short term. Everything else is speculation. Where are you getting the idea that they're secretly using a new chassis but pretending they're not? How would that even work? These things are strictly monitored by the FIA and upgrades get published.

Adam-Utd

Could be they created a prototype for testing, could be it's for the 2023 car, could be Motorsport Italy are full of it and/or are a mouthpiece for Ferrari/Mercedes, lots of possibilities really. All we know is in late August Red Bull said they didn't have one and weren't planning one on the short term. Everything else is speculation. Where are you getting the idea that they're secretly using a new chassis but pretending they're not? How would that even work? These things are strictly monitored by the FIA and upgrades get published.
Well the FIA clearly aren't aware of everything otherwise cheating would never happen on cars. If RB turned up one weekend with a new lighter chassis, from the outside how are the FIA supposed to know without it being declared? It's not like you can see the difference.

Whether thats actually possible/plausible I don't really know, but the improvement has been quite coincidental since that point.

I do wonder though how they managed to create this with the financial restrictions, and how Aston Martin basically made 2 different cars. No surprises they're the 2 teams under suspicion.

pacifictheme

I know there has been a bit of back and forth on this but the expectation is after the alfa title sponsorship ends in 2023, the team will go back to the name sauber for two years and the be known as audi from 2026.

So either way the team that will be called sauber will then become audi, but even now they are sauber, with a title sponsor of alfa.

dinostar77

Well the FIA clearly aren't aware of everything otherwise cheating would never happen on cars. If RB turned up one weekend with a new lighter chassis, from the outside how are the FIA supposed to know without it being declared? It's not like you can see the difference.

Whether thats actually possible/plausible I don't really know, but the improvement has been quite coincidental since that point.

I do wonder though how they managed to create this with the financial restrictions, and how Aston Martin basically made 2 different cars. No surprises they're the 2 teams under suspicion.
The reason suspension was simplified for the 2022 season and onwards was because the fia couldn't police the suspensions as their designs were so complex. Stuff does get past the FIA i.e. ferrari oil burning when vettel was there.

The new rule that teams must submit all new parts changes to the FIA for a race weekend is a really useful rule. Especially for armchair fans.

Regardless of whether a new chassis actually goes on a car or not it still costs circa £2mil to develop. RB may have developed for next season but done it under the cost cap for this season therefore freeing up some money for next season?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I know there has been a bit of back and forth on this but the expectation is after the alfa title sponsorship ends in 2023, the team will go back to the name sauber for two years and the be known as audi from 2026.

So either way the team that will be called sauber will then become audi, but even now they are sauber, with a title sponsor of alfa.
Understood. My clear understanding is that currently, the team is called Alfa Romeo and that is the stated team title on the F1 website.
But thanks for your input.

Last edited: