F1 2022 Season

Abizzz

While that's true it's the only way for others to compete. Think of FFP in football.

The likes of Ferrari/Mercedes are the City/PSG of football. Other teams like Williams/Mclaren just can't compete financially.

If F1 wants more teams to join like Andretti in the future, the budget cap is necessary to make a fair footing for all.

The smartest will still end up coming out on top which is the main thing, it just means they won't be able to throw endless resources at it.

Mercedes would have probably got their errors sorted after 2 races with an endless budget, now they're having to work a bit differently.
While all of those points are valid it still changes F1's nature from being at the cutting edge of current technology to ... I'm not sure yet. If it weren't for Ferrari we would be one step away from Lola building all the chassis in my opinion.

Leg-End

While that's true it's the only way for others to compete. Think of FFP in football.

The likes of Ferrari/Mercedes are the City/PSG of football. Other teams like Williams/Mclaren just can't compete financially.

If F1 wants more teams to join like Andretti in the future, the budget cap is necessary to make a fair footing for all.

The smartest will still end up coming out on top which is the main thing, it just means they won't be able to throw endless resources at it.

Mercedes would have probably got their errors sorted after 2 races with an endless budget, now they're having to work a bit differently.
It's not strictly true because Ferrari/Mercedes don't have a bottomless pit of money, every single manufacturer will only spend what its worth with perhaps the exception of Red Bull.

If the cap is so aggressive that teams will give up on development by Spain, not that its confirmed but the feeling is a big package there with small upgrades moving forward then the grid is effectively going to be frozen. Absolutely nothing wrong with that but this season is mostly lucky that Ferrari/Red Bull are close, had one or the other smashed it then it's no different to watching the Mercedes dominate at their peak. The field spread at present is closer than I thought it would be but there is still a big difference between top 2, mid pack and rear so really F1 isn't any different now, its just dumbed further down and cheaper for the teams.

Whilst on the subject of change I think after 5 races its fair to make an assessment on the cars themselves at this point in time, I think visually from offboard they are good looking but they look terribly cumbersome at times and then the onboards make them look heavy and actually quite boring to drive. It will be interesting to see them around Monaco, can't help but think we might see a few more wall brushes than normal with the aero parts blocking the drivers view of the wheels.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
This thread is one of the last rational places left on the caf.
In reality this thread is one of the least rational places on the Caf, which is saying something.

Edit: there are a few people who are notable exceptions tbf

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
While all of those points are valid it still changes F1's nature from being at the cutting edge of current technology to ... I'm not sure yet. If it weren't for Ferrari we would be one step away from Lola building all the chassis in my opinion.
They're mainly restricted by the regulations now anyway.

Not sure how much we can really use in modern road cars from this generation. The engines are pretty much the same and the ground effect isn't anything new at all.

It's not strictly true because Ferrari/Mercedes don't have a bottomless pit of money, every single manufacturer will only spend what its worth with perhaps the exception of Red Bull.

If the cap is so aggressive that teams will give up on development by Spain, not that its confirmed but the feeling is a big package there with small upgrades moving forward then the grid is effectively going to be frozen. Absolutely nothing wrong with that but this season is mostly lucky that Ferrari/Red Bull are close, had one or the other smashed it then it's no different to watching the Mercedes dominate at their peak. The field spread at present is closer than I thought it would be but there is still a big difference between top 2, mid pack and rear so really F1 isn't any different now, its just dumbed further down and cheaper for the teams.

Whilst on the subject of change I think after 5 races its fair to make an assessment on the cars themselves at this point in time, I think visually from offboard they are good looking but they look terribly cumbersome at times and then the onboards make them look heavy and actually quite boring to drive. It will be interesting to see them around Monaco, can't help but think we might see a few more wall brushes than normal with the aero parts blocking the drivers view of the wheels.
Certainly enough of a wealth/staff advantage compared to the majority of teams. Clearly their budgets were high enough that they could afford to be disposable in many ways.

They have their own wind tunnels where as most other teams dont etc. That all needed regulating to stop it being a 1/2 horse race every year.

The field spread was always going to happen with new regulations, but i'd say they've all actually done a pretty decent job. It's the closest we've seen in many years.

Yes unfortunately 2 of them seem to have done a better job than most, but from Red bull and Ferrari backwards you can't say who will be the next fastest team yet.

Mclaren might ace it, Mercedes might get their act together, Alpine look pretty tasty on certain tracks. Even Albon is getting into the points quite regularly. It's unpredictable which is great.

Next year teams will be even closer to the front, by 2024 we could have all teams fighting for race wins which would be awesome IMO.

dinostar77

The paper was one of the first to break the no-side pod side pod stuff. So fairly reputable. Theres a translation further down in the thread.
Thanks,

Last paragraph was most interesting...

"The first real anti-porpoising corrections for the W13 will arrive in Spain , especially with a new fund. In addition to aerodynamic updates, the second Power Unit on the W13 should make its debut in Barcelona which, based on what has been collected, will be able to guarantee a leap forward in performance. As we understand it, the first unit was not used to its maximum potential, however, upon explicit request, the world champion team did not want to comment on whether the second unit is a new specification with interventions granted by the FIA to solve the reliability problems that emerged. on the benches, a little as granted to Ferrari. Further cavalry should then arrive with specification 3 , which should debut later in the season. The Mercedes goal to hunt for Honda and especially Ferrari in terms of engine performance."

dinostar77

They're allowed to make battery power changes for now and reliability adjustments. If they weren't running at full power due to reliability concerns which the new PU fixes, it's possible that the newer engines will perform better. Everything has to go through the FIA though to be signed off.
There is also a "engine parity" clause in the PU rules to ensure that one engine manufacturer doesnt have an advantage until 2026.

dinostar77

They're mainly restricted by the regulations now anyway.

Not sure how much we can really use in modern road cars from this generation. The engines are pretty much the same and the ground effect isn't anything new at all.

Certainly enough of a wealth/staff advantage compared to the majority of teams. Clearly their budgets were high enough that they could afford to be disposable in many ways.

They have their own wind tunnels where as most other teams dont etc. That all needed regulating to stop it being a 1/2 horse race every year.

The field spread was always going to happen with new regulations, but i'd say they've all actually done a pretty decent job. It's the closest we've seen in many years.

Yes unfortunately 2 of them seem to have done a better job than most, but from Red bull and Ferrari backwards you can't say who will be the next fastest team yet.

Mclaren might ace it, Mercedes might get their act together, Alpine look pretty tasty on certain tracks. Even Albon is getting into the points quite regularly. It's unpredictable which is great.

Next year teams will be even closer to the front, by 2024 we could have all teams fighting for race wins which would be awesome IMO.
Dont forget that next year ferrari and RB will have the smallest allocation of wind tunnel and CFD design time and teams who finish the season towards the bottom of the constructors will have the most.

So we may see teams like williams making performance leaps as haas have done earlier this season.

Adam-Utd

Dont forget that next year ferrari and RB will have the smallest allocation of wind tunnel and CFD design time and teams who finish the season towards the bottom of the constructors will have the most.

So we may see teams like williams making performance leaps as haas have done earlier this season.
Yep probably the most important thing they've done is limit the wind tunnel time.

As I mentioned before them having their own versions that could run 24/7 if they wanted compared to a team that didn't have one is HUGE in modern f1.

While I do agree f1 should be the flagship racing model and things should be allowed to be a bit fancy, there has to be a certain amount of fair competition too.

As we've seen with the oil clubs in football allowing them free reign is just boring.

Balljy

There is also a "engine parity" clause in the PU rules to ensure that one engine manufacturer doesnt have an advantage until 2026.
Yeah, and although that's a good idea for us viewers it does feel like it's moving towards one PU eventually. I don't see why an outside manufacturer would step in to produce an engine which doesn't really do anything for a brand when the maximum you can achieve long-term is parity. For the likes of Ferrari and Mercedes it's OK as the brand is attached to the car anyway.

Leg-End

I reckon he will come across really well, he’s a clever lad and witty too.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
paxman is just going to ask vettel if he deliberately hit schumacher at the weekend over and over again until he breaks down in tears.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I love Vettel. He has gone from my least favourite driver on the grid to my favourite. :lol:

flameinthesun

I love Vettel. He has gone from my least favourite driver on the grid to my favourite. :lol:
Now he's out of the spotlight of fighting for championships people have been able to see his true personality and he seems like a really cool dude. Also seems he and Hamilton have a good friendship, one of the few people you see hamilton joke with. Probably helps that they are both activists.

Adam-Utd

Same here. He's really matured and blossomed into a fantastic man in the last few years.

He might not be at his peak in terms of f1 anymore, but he has so much to offer outside of it.

Doing things like this will only help enhance his reputation.

pauldyson1uk

Now he's out of the spotlight of fighting for championships people have been able to see his true personality and he seems like a really cool dude. Also seems he and Hamilton have a good friendship, one of the few people you see hamilton joke with. Probably helps that they are both activists.
Who knows in a few years, people might actually start likeing Hamilton :lol:

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
And mine too, watched him a few time on TV and he is a funny guy.
When he was racing and winning, hated tge finger when he won.
Have you seen videos of him spying cars and parts on the grid before the race? :lol:

Adam-Utd

Ouch.

Look how small the car is compared to modern F1 cars.

Exactly why they used to be able to race around places like Monaco and make a spectacle of it.

Modern cars are far too big for it now.

Why can't they make 1 off cars like this and use them as a Monaco special? it's not like the extra safety is really required around here either.

Would be a decent alternative IMO if they want to stay there.

dinostar77

"...Daddy..daddy...its not fair im your son i need to have the new spec car for spain. Not a 4 times ex world champion...."

dinostar77

Gary Anderson and Mark Hughes join Edd Straw to discuss Ferrari's planned Spanish Grand Prix upgrade and how it could impact the balance of power in the title fight with Red Bull. We also look at the ongoing struggles of Mercedes, and the development plans for Alpine and Aston Martin.

laughtersassassin

Ferrari are writing up a report on all the teams estimated spend in relation to the budget cap.

Fairly useless document considering they have 0 idea how much a team possibly could have spent before the season started. They couldn't possibly have a clue how many iterations of designs each team had.

dinostar77

Ferrari are writing up a report on all the teams estimated spend in relation to the budget cap.

Fairly useless document considering they have 0 idea how much a team possibly could have spent before the season started. They couldn't possibly have a clue how many iterations of designs each team had.
There is concern among some teams that one or two teams might have found creative ways around the budget cap i.e. Red Bull. But it remains to be seen what can be proved.

We'll have to wait and see to find out if binotto is correct and RB have used up 75% of their budget for this season already.

The podcast i linked further up this page talks about this. Also the knife edge ferrari are on with updates. If they arent careful, the upgrades for spain could take ferrari into Mercedes porposing territory.

Apparently new CFD software is being designed/written to try to account for the floor attaching-detaching-reattaching. Though i dont anyone will get that software up and running and correlated this season.

As dull as spain can be its a very important race for a few teams: ferrari (first updates of the season including a less draggy rear wing); Mercedes (can correlate the data from pre season test 1 with the conventional sidepods); Aston Martin, major upgrades coming though new sidepod design may not arrive in time for this weekend.

ArjenIsM3

There is concern among some teams that one or two teams might have found creative ways around the budget cap i.e. Red Bull. But it remains to be seen what can be proved.

We'll have to wait and see to find out if binotto is correct and RB have used up 75% of their budget for this season already.

The podcast i linked further up this page talks about this. Also the knife edge ferrari are on with updates. If they arent careful, the upgrades for spain could take ferrari into Mercedes porposing territory.

Apparently new CFD software is being designed/written to try to account for the floor attaching-detaching-reattaching. Though i dont anyone will get that software up and running and correlated this season.

As dull as spain can be its a very important race for a few teams: ferrari (first updates of the season including a less draggy rear wing); Mercedes (can correlate the data from pre season test 1 with the conventional sidepods); Aston Martin, major upgrades coming though new sidepod design may not arrive in time for this weekend.
Of course Ferrari will try to shift suspicion to Red Bull. It's all part of the game. Especially after over half the teams questioned Ferrari's dubious floor switch when testing tyres. Racingnews365 did their own calculation and concluded Red Bull have only used 18% of their development budget, which is more in line with the claims of Red Bull themselves than it is with what Ferrari are saying. But yeah, Spain will be interesting for sure with a lot of teams bringing upgrades.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Ferrari literally spent all last season's budget developing this car and engine!

F-Red

F1 don't plan on replacing Sochi with another GP so we're down to 22 for this year.

JuriM

First Estonian taking part of official F1 weekend, so far it's been only testing.

Leg-End

How to make me avoid an F1 article, the name Gary Anderson in the title. (or Jonathan McEvoy)

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Well it looks like tracing point are up to some tricks again, the pics of seen it looks like red bull and Aston Martin got back together and painted the car green

dinostar77

Well it looks like tracing point are up to some tricks again, the pics of seen it looks like red bull and Aston Martin got back together and painted the car green
Nothing wrong with that. Besides copying the sidepods won't achieve anything by itself. The airflow and outwash works with the sidepods, beam wing, rear wing and diffuser. They would have to copy all of that and that would take time. Pity they are giving the car to the wrong driver i.e. stroll.