F1 2023 Season

The Firestarter

Toto Wolff revealed that Aston Martin’s performance gains at the start of the F1 2023 season were beneficial to Mercedes. The impressive surge by Aston Martin allowed Mercedes to rule out shared components as the cause of their early-season struggles.

“It was actually really good that Aston Martin was so competitive at the beginning of the season,”

“Because that at least for us made it clear that the rear end is not the problem, the gearbox is not the problem, the engine is not the problem, the rear suspension is not the problem. We have to look elsewhere.”

“And that’s why I like having teams that are on the same spec.”

VIA: [PLANET F1]
That level of troubleshooting is more common at a software startup that scrambles to provide an overnight fix in production than an F1 racing team with thousands of employees.

Here's one more for Toto, the paint probably was not the problem either.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
That level of troubleshooting is more common at a software startup that scrambles to provide an overnight fix in production than an F1 racing team with thousands of employees.

He has become really weird lately.

hobbers

Toto likes to talk the talk but everyone knows he has the technical nous of a soggy pumpernickel

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Sargeant signs for another season, baffling decision by Williams. It's one of those decisions where I don't think the money/popularity he brings ftom USA is not good enough.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Sargeant signs for another season, baffling decision by Williams. It's one of those decisions where I don't think the money/popularity he brings ftom USA is not good enough.
Who would you have signed do you think?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Lawson, Mick, etc. are both better if available. I am sure there many other, since Sargeant is really poor.
Schumacher isn't that amazing so at that point I'd be asking if he can bring as much money as Sargent. Lawson does look really good though, I guess it depends if they could afford to take a chance on him or not maybe.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Schumacher isn't that amazing so at that point I'd be asking if he can bring as much money as Sargent. Lawson does look really good though, I guess it depends if they could afford to take a chance on him or not maybe.
I am not his biggest fan, but Schumacher has proved he can be quick, altough still inconsistent, but we don't know if that Haas was fit for him. But Sargeant is slow, and he has crashed few times this season too.

hobbers

Guess they decided the money he brings in is more than the extra money from a higher position in the constructors and several badly damaged cars per season.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Hardly any driver outside of the top teams is in F1 on merit alone. Every year those without the cash get dropped. See Vergne, Nasr from recent seasons.

JuriM

Leclerc signing new deal til 2029 - I don't know how to feel about it. He deserves a car to challenge for the title and he has had so many heartbreaks there.

NM

Leclerc signing new deal til 2029 - I don't know how to feel about it. He deserves a car to challenge for the title and he has had so many heartbreaks there.
He will never leave. Ferrari still means something + his lies to his dad before he passed means he will be there until they get rid of him.

hobbers

Trying to save the Miami event by adding a sprint to it next year, no surprise there then.

dinostar77

Apparently there is a break clause in the contract. What that is exactly? No idea.

Ahmer Baig

According to Erik van Haren, FOM has responded saying they are fully confident that the allegations are unfounded and that the FIA did not share their statement with them ahead of the public release.

pauldyson1uk

I don't believe any of the rumours, I think they are both far to professional to do this.
Would be interesting to find where the rumours started.
A report in BusinessF1 magazine suggested that a comment Wolff made in a recent team principal meeting, based on information that could only have come from FOM, acted as the trigger point for other bosses to complain. or maybe just the one :rolleyes:

pauldyson1uk

The city of Madrid has secured a contract with F1 to host races near the Adolfo Suarez Barajas Airport for 10 years
Track looks, OK some challenging corners, few straights for some passing, what looks like a very challenging twisty part, not a huge fan of street tracks, but have to admit from the pic, it looks like it could be good.

Ahmer Baig

The city of Madrid has secured a contract with F1 to host races near the Adolfo Suarez Barajas Airport for 10 years
Track looks, OK some challenging corners, few straights for some passing, what looks like a very challenging twisty part, not a huge fan of street tracks, but have to admit from the pic, it looks like it could be good.

Another street circuit. What is F1 new obsession with street circuits?

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I don't believe any of the rumours, I think they are both far to professional to do this.
Would be interesting to find where the rumours started.
A report in BusinessF1 magazine suggested that a comment Wolff made in a recent team principal meeting, based on information that could only have come from FOM, acted as the trigger point for other bosses to complain. or maybe just the one :rolleyes:
I m not saying these particular things are true, but I don't understand how people can make statements like your first sentence. Even if you knew them personally - "good" people are capable of many things. I work in the prosecution and defense field for employment issues and I guarantee you you would be shocked to know the files that exist on people many may think are great individuals.

We'll see what happens I guess.

pauldyson1uk

I m not saying these particular things are true, but I don't understand how people can make statements like your first sentence. Even if you knew them personally - "good" people are capable of many things. I work in the prosecution and defense field for employment issues and I guarantee you you would be shocked to know the files that exist on people many may think are great individuals.

We'll see what happens I guess.
yeah fair enough , I have seen good people do some daft things also.

hobbers

Obviously they'd share confidential information if it meant helping each other out.

And a bit pathetic to try and wave it away as misogyny. It's a clear conflict of interest the only question is how much does it actually matter. I doubt she'd be privy to planned F1 technical directives or whatever. It's more like Toto will get early heads up on commercial plans.

dinostar77

I saw this today, F1 calendar 2029, I know it would never happen , but some interesting tracks on it.
It would better if they had 7 x races for the Americas. 7 x races for Europe and 7 x races for middle east / far east / africa.

hobbers

Should be 11 European venues. Bring back Portimao and Hockenheim.

Ditch Miami and all the middle east. Add Malaysia and South Africa. Easy.

F-Red

Another street circuit. What is F1 new obsession with street circuits?
Commercially stronger performing events, logistically easier to get fans in and out. There's more commercial interest from street circuits to want to put races on. In a period of ownership under Liberty, the clear goal is growing the business and that will naturally point towards street circuits.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.

I really don't think there's anything wrong with that statement. It seems like the most obvious common sense to me.

There's nothing about it that says they waited for those results because they weren't sure, likely they were focused on A, B, C and whilst doing that it became clear to them that they didn't need to bother looking at D, E, F which they otherwise would have. If your car wasn't working and you weren't sure why but your partner said 'oh I turned it on and it ticked over properly' then you mentally note that you no longer have to check that. It doesn't mean your troubleshooting is shit, you just became passively aware of something you were able to file away.

pauldyson1uk

The FIA has dropped the investigation into the conduct of Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff and his wife Susie after deciding they did not share confidential information.

Susie is the head of the all-female series F1 Academy and it had been claimed by Business F1 magazine that team bosses had issued concerns over the Wolffs discussing details about their respective employers.

The FIA statement read: "Following a review of Formula One Management's F1 Code of Conduct and F1 Conflict of Interest Policy and confirmation that appropriate protective measures are in place to mitigate any potential conflicts, the FIA is satisfied that FOM's compliance management system is robust enough to prevent any unauthorized disclosure of confidential information.

ArjenIsM3

The FIA has dropped the investigation into the conduct of Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff and his wife Susie after deciding they did not share confidential information.

Susie is the head of the all-female series F1 Academy and it had been claimed by Business F1 magazine that team bosses had issued concerns over the Wolffs discussing details about their respective employers.

The FIA statement read: "Following a review of Formula One Management's F1 Code of Conduct and F1 Conflict of Interest Policy and confirmation that appropriate protective measures are in place to mitigate any potential conflicts, the FIA is satisfied that FOM's compliance management system is robust enough to prevent any unauthorized disclosure of confidential information.
So basically they've decided they don't want to open this cesspool and would rather look the other way. Again. Teflon Toto strikes again :lol:

dinostar77

So basically they've decided they don't want to open this cesspool and would rather look the other way. Again. Teflon Toto strikes again :lol:
Your looking in the wrong place. All the teams have come out in a united front in regards to this story. It's FOM and FIA power struggle over 2026 Concorde agreement. Plus MBS not liking that FIA powers over F1 have been neutered since liberty took ownership.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/...e-behind-toto-susie-wolff-double-agent-probe/