F1 2023 Season

hobbers

Budget cap has definitely helped out Williams and Haas.

But obviously only hinders Ferrari and Mercedes. Meanwhile McLaren and Alpine have really dropped the ball, even before AM came along this season and made them look like fools.

Leg-End

Grid spread is better yes, it's great having a top and a midfield with basically no back markers but if the winning car is always +30 seconds as much as they want to laud "the show", F1 is about winning, the real excitement comes from the battles at the front.

The cap just seems like something to talk about rather than actually benefit from, it's hardly enticed in big manufacturers like it was meant to has it. There should always be an upper limit on spend I think just to avoid situations where big teams just do what they want but the balance right now makes it just seem like an activity on how good your accountant department is rather than on track benefits for fans.

vangagal

Meanwhile in my fave racing team, Zak Brown looks like a moron like he should be with his agreement with cost cap. It brings Mclaren closer racing to the backmarker it is. That team is a mess. Lay off so many people but backtracking because they short handed afterward. They build around Norris preference but make a complete dud car out of it. So many hype but they regress every year. All Zak does just yapping about smooth marketing and that car looks like papaya ready to thrown into pieces. So shite.

laughtersassassin

Debris showing why he didn't get a seat for so long.
If I was Danny Ric I'd be asking for that seat. I know he says he only wants a good car but he is crazy if he thinks he will get one anywhere so going to AT mid season and trying to make a fool of Yuki is his best bet.

Would also potentially be good for Yuki because right now it seems like he is doing fantastic but up against De Vries it's hard to tell.

If Danny Ric came in and Yuki wipes him as well then we might be talking.

The Firestarter

If I was Danny Ric I'd be asking for that seat. I know he says he only wants a good car but he is crazy if he thinks he will get one anywhere so going to AT mid season and trying to make a fool of Yuki is his best bet.

Would also potentially be good for Yuki because right now it seems like he is doing fantastic but up against De Vries it's hard to tell.

I want to see Yuki at least once in the RB. He might be really good but its unclear if AT is a certified shitbox.

dinostar77

Meanwhile in my fave racing team, Zak Brown looks like a moron like he should be with his agreement with cost cap. It brings Mclaren closer racing to the backmarker it is. That team is a mess. Lay off so many people but backtracking because they short handed afterward. They build around Norris preference but make a complete dud car out of it. So many hype but they regress every year. All Zak does just yapping about smooth marketing and that car looks like papaya ready to thrown into pieces. So shite.
Gotta give mclaren time. They only got the car they designed for this season in baku. Also their new wind tunnel (the one they lease isnt upto f1 standards), will make a difference when its completed in 2024.

vangagal

Gotta give mclaren time. They only got the car they designed for this season in baku. Also their new wind tunnel (the one they lease isnt upto f1 standards), will make a difference when its completed in 2024.
It would be a miracle if by 24/25 they can challenge Ferrari at least. Mclaren nowadays literally just Alpine with fancier history.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster

If I was Mick Schumacher I’d be asking for a seat

pauldyson1uk

Pirelli are set to bring a new specification of slick tyre to the 2023 British Grand Prix at Silverstone – with teams to test the tyre during Friday practice at the Spanish Grand Prix.

The new specification of tyre will introduce new materials planned for the 2024 specification of Pirelli tyre, deemed necessary by the tyre suppliers because current F1 cars are faster and induce more downforce than previously estimated. Pirelli are also anticipating greater speed and downforce from the current F1 cars as development continues across the season.

The new slick tyres will come into use for the 2023 British Grand Prix on July 7-9 but teams will be able to test them, with two extra sets supplied during FP1 and FP2, at the Spanish Grand Prix one month prior to the race at Silverstone.

“We’ve seen how much more performance the 2023 cars have compared to last year throughout the opening races of this season, and that is thanks to the extraordinary pace of development shown by all 10 of the teams,” began Pirelli’s Motorsport Director Mario Isola.

“In Miami, for example, the pole time was nearly two seconds faster than last year, but the same sort of progress has been seen during races as well. Pirelli’s simulation work has always been aimed at not only supplying a product that hits the performance targets specified by stakeholders, but also anticipating any potential problems and reacting to them quickly.

“The new specification contains materials that we have already developed for 2024, which will make the tyres more resistant without affecting any of the other technical parameters or their behaviour on track. To allow all the teams to test the new construction on a level playing field, Pirelli will supply two extra tyre sets per car to be used during FP1 and FP2 at the Spanish Grand Prix.”

F-Red

Pirelli are set to bring a new specification of slick tyre to the 2023 British Grand Prix at Silverstone – with teams to test the tyre during Friday practice at the Spanish Grand Prix.

The new specification of tyre will introduce new materials planned for the 2024 specification of Pirelli tyre, deemed necessary by the tyre suppliers because current F1 cars are faster and induce more downforce than previously estimated. Pirelli are also anticipating greater speed and downforce from the current F1 cars as development continues across the season.

The new slick tyres will come into use for the 2023 British Grand Prix on July 7-9 but teams will be able to test them, with two extra sets supplied during FP1 and FP2, at the Spanish Grand Prix one month prior to the race at Silverstone.

“We’ve seen how much more performance the 2023 cars have compared to last year throughout the opening races of this season, and that is thanks to the extraordinary pace of development shown by all 10 of the teams,” began Pirelli’s Motorsport Director Mario Isola.

“In Miami, for example, the pole time was nearly two seconds faster than last year, but the same sort of progress has been seen during races as well. Pirelli’s simulation work has always been aimed at not only supplying a product that hits the performance targets specified by stakeholders, but also anticipating any potential problems and reacting to them quickly.

“The new specification contains materials that we have already developed for 2024, which will make the tyres more resistant without affecting any of the other technical parameters or their behaviour on track. To allow all the teams to test the new construction on a level playing field, Pirelli will supply two extra tyre sets per car to be used during FP1 and FP2 at the Spanish Grand Prix.”
Pirelli's tyre choices have been far too conservative so far this year, pretty sure every race has been a one stop so far.

dinostar77

Instead of stupid crap sprint races, why dont the FIA just allow Pirelli to provide a tyre that doesnt degrade so drivers can go flat out. Make it mandatory to run all three tyre compounds.

Maybe that will improve things

antsmithmk

Hates women.
Instead of stupid crap sprint races, why dont the FIA just allow Pirelli to provide a tyre that doesnt degrade so drivers can go flat out. Make it mandatory to run all three tyre compounds.

I agree on the 3 tyre compounds rule. Quite a few commentators have suggested similar. If you have to stop twice, you are more likely to push on the soft and medium tyres knowing at some point you will have to put on some slower but durable hards. Plus making every race at least a 2 stop will spice up the action.

Zlaatan

Parody Account

This should be a no-brainer, it's a joke that the so called pinnacle of motorsport with the fastest race cars on the planet is mostly about tire/fuel management.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast

If they were going to do that they should just bring back refuelling, I just want real racing not mock racing where you need to tick boxes to finish the race, I’d be happy if all the tires could finish the race but the hards would be peak at the end and the softs would fecked but not dangerous.

hobbers

Looking like it might actually be a wet race this weekend. A real one, not the fake one in Miami.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
The Missed Apex podcast covered tyres pretty well on their latest episode. Basically pointing out that a mandatory 3 tyre stop becomes teams would just use the slowest tyre for 1 lap. Strategy becomes void and everyone does the same thing. The secret is in getting the balance between wear and pace of the three compounds.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
The Missed Apex podcast covered tyres pretty well on their latest episode. Basically pointing out that a mandatory 3 tyre stop becomes teams would just use the slowest tyre for 1 lap. Strategy becomes void and everyone does the same thing. The secret is in getting the balance between wear and pace of the three compounds.
Refueling with a tank that can go max 60% of the race, it would make these tanks of cars smaller as they wouldn't be carrying around huge petrol tanks and might make tracks like Monaco raceable again, use a similar refueling method to Indy car so it wouldn't be as expensive as before, it opens up strategy of the race instead of ticking boxes before you finish the race.

hobbers

Refuelling is clearly much better than tyre wear, basic common sense. Not only for race strategy and flat out racing, but also imagine how much energy they'd save if we didn't need every team getting 15 sets of tyres every weekend.

pauldyson1uk

Apparently there is a risk of no race this weekend.
There is a red weather warning for the area. Rain forecast for Saturday and Sunday by Weather.com. On Saturday it will still be light rain, but on Sunday it will become more extreme with a high chance of thunderstorms. Sunday will be the warmest day of the weekend with 22 degrees and a whopping 80 per cent chance of rain.

Maroon Lucifer

Apparently there is a risk of no race this weekend.
There is a red weather warning for the area. Rain forecast for Saturday and Sunday by Weather.com. On Saturday it will still be light rain, but on Sunday it will become more extreme with a high chance of thunderstorms. Sunday will be the warmest day of the weekend with 22 degrees and a whopping 80 per cent chance of rain.
my go to weather service says light rain on Friday, a lot of rain on Saturday and on Sunday it will only be a drizzle until 14:00 and then dry. I don't know how accurate it is for Italy, but it's the best one for the Faroes, and we get the most unpredictable weather on the planet.

pauldyson1uk

my go to weather service says light rain on Friday, a lot of rain on Saturday and on Sunday it will only be a drizzle until 14:00 and then dry. I don't know how accurate it is for Italy, but it's the best one for the Faroes, and we get the most unpredictable weather on the planet.
I think it’s just a few getting a bit giddy.
Seen in a few places now the race is under threat.

pauldyson1uk

A meeting has been held between the National Crisis Unit and local politicians to discuss the situation in the region, with the department noting: "It was shared the possibility that, in the areas affected by the red alert, the mayors could foresee, for tomorrow, the closure of schools and roads most at risk, starting from those near the banks and landslide areas.

"The invitation to citizens is to avoid travel as much as possible and to resort, where possible, to smart working."

Although there are still a couple of days before track action gets underway, the latter suggestion appears to clash with the prospect of thousands of racing fans from Italy and other countries arriving in the area ahead of the race.

There is also a possibility that car parks and spectator areas could not be usable due to being waterlogged.

hobbers

Will suck if it is cancelled, I dont see any gap in the calendar they could reschedule it to.

Jack-C20

Teams have been told not to attend the track untill further notice and apparently Alpine have been told to evacuate their hotel.
We’re in Faenza 20 minutes from the track and it’s mental. The river has risen unbelievably in the last few hours. I felt like we were quite high up but the shop owners are all barricading their doors. About five minutes walk away and peoples cars a literally under water.

Never mind. As I’ve been writing this the water has taken over the road outside :eek:

TheLiverBird

It certainly looks like carnage down there!

tomorrow is looking like a washout, going through too Thursday morning as well, which if that happens, you’d surely say the race is in doubt with practice starting on Friday, how quickly can a burst river retreat?? Plus you’ve got the travelling crowds etc arriving early.

There's already been loss of life in this region this month with flooding, it’s looking a big gamble at this stage to go ahead with the forecasts, that could change but it doesn’t look great

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
We’re in Faenza 20 minutes from the track and it’s mental. The river has risen unbelievably in the last few hours. I felt like we were quite high up but the shop owners are all barricading their doors. About five minutes walk away and peoples cars a literally under water.

Never mind. As I’ve been writing this the water has taken over the road outside :eek:
Are you there specifically for the race out of curiosity?

Jack-C20

Yes mate. Was going fine until this afternoon. I’ve no idea what’s going to happen tomorrow.

pauldyson1uk

OMG sounds scary, stay safe