F1 2023 Season

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
If it wasn't for the "last race" tag Abu Dhabi would be pointless.
In an ideal world to me the last race would rotate between some of the ones with the most passionate crowds like a Monza, Silverstone, Zandvoort or Interlagos but that will probably never happen bc they dont bring the oil money.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
In an ideal world to me the last race would rotate between some of the ones with the most passionate crowds like a Monza, Silverstone, Zandvoort or Interlagos but that will probably never happen bc they dont bring the oil money.
Interlagos is the only realistic one the other 3 it’s fecking winter man

hobbers

11 points between AM and McLaren.

Only 4 points between Ferrari and Mercedes now.

So definitely some things to play for next week

hobbers

George - ‘totally my fault, didn’t see him’

Think that Verstappen fanboy needs a lesson in racing regs from the pros in here.

hp88

Currently it should be interlagos though it was always a good race to end on in Schumachers era or Japan
Just brought back memories of having to watch F1 on ITV, missed his engine blowing up thanks to an advert break.

Lightbringer

Lewis Hamilton smacks into bollard as Verstappen fumes at Brit after Las Vegas GP puncture

Lewis Hamilton suffered a puncture during the Las Vegas Grand Prix after clashing with Oscar Piastri which could potentially ruin his race in Nevada as he smacked into a bollard. The Mercedes driver continued to drive with the puncture and Max Verstappen was among those unhappy with the Brit during the first half of the race.

A bollard was sent flying by Hamilton after he hit the racing instrument, after he made a move on the inside of Piastri and the two collided.

Both cars picked up some damage as Hamilton dropped all the way back to P19 as he attempted to keep racing while suspecting that he suffered a puncture.

The rear-right Mercedes tyre tagged the front-left McLaren and forced Hamilton eventually to pit for new tyres. Stewards looked at the incident and confirmed that no further investigation was required.

Verstappen fumed over the team radio towards Hamilton as he said: "He didn't move out of the way, man. He's got a puncture and he drives a normal race line."

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/1836615/Lewis-Hamilton-Las-Vegas-GP-puncture-Verstappen-F1-news?

dinostar77

verstappen has been given two penalty points on his racing licence.

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/s/j6tCjOlkmD

Makes more of a mockery of the 5 second penalty.

The-Race website agree in general that the rules need to be looked at for the entire weekend.

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/our-verdict-on-f1s-wild-las-vegas-thriller/

"...However the one thing that this weekend really showed is how poor the regulations and their implementation really are.

The Carlos Sainz situation of getting a 10 place penalty for damage which was no fault of his or Ferrari's was absurd.

And the fact you can push another car off at the first corner and take the lead - so potentially saving your tyres by not having to follow another car - get a five-second penalty for that indiscretion, damage your front wing in another accident, make a pitstop after getting that damage and leave the pits without changing that front wing so in effect as a team send your car back onto the track running in an illegal specification (because wing dimensions are prescribed in the rules), all confuses me..:

Last edited:

pauldyson1uk

verstappen has been given two penalty points on his racing licence.

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/s/j6tCjOlkmD

Makes more of a mockery of the 5 second penalty.

The-Race website agree in general that the rules need to be looked at for the entire weekend.

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/our-verdict-on-f1s-wild-las-vegas-thriller/

"...However the one thing that this weekend really showed is how poor the regulations and their implementation really are.

The Carlos Sainz situation of getting a 10 place penalty for damage which was no fault of his or Ferrari's was absurd.

And the fact you can push another car off at the first corner and take the lead - so potentially saving your tyres by not having to follow another car - get a five-second penalty for that indiscretion, damage your front wing in another accident, make a pitstop after getting that damage and leave the pits without changing that front wing so in effect as a team send your car back onto the track running in an illegal specification (because wing dimensions are prescribed in the rules), all confuses me..:
Means feck all to him or RB , they got the win and thats all that matters for them.

United Hobbit

@United Hobbit whats your sitrep?

I have 9/10 of the top 10 correct, but only two in the exact spot (Max and Leclerc which I know you also have!)
I've got 13.5 points unless they move anyone, I had the 2 we both got correct, and George. 9/10 of the top 10 but lost the podium bonus because of Lando. I'd got Max for fastest lap but he didn't get it

Just looked, you got 1 point extra than me because you put Leclerc on pole, argh why did I change it back to Max?!

Last edited:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Well, that was a surprisingly good GP. It's still quite a boring track, but I really enjoyed that.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Max turning into his old self again.
feck sake max, cant you do a clean overtake. twat.
Max is such a cock , I am no fan of Russel either but that was all down the Max
What a unworthy F1 champ. Has a car that is a second a lap faster, drs, and still cant overtake a car that hasn't had speed in 40 races.
:lol:

Jesus, guys. Come on. I know you absolutely hate him, but that was all Russell! And Max is the "cock" and "twat" for it? Wow.

"Unworthy F1 champ" :lol:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Verstappen ties Sebastian Vettel for 3rd most victories in F1 history with that win. You would have thought he'd pass him in the next race. Crazy.

dinostar77

:lol:

Jesus, guys. Come on. I know you absolutely hate him, but that was all Russell! And Max is the "cock" and "twat" for it? Wow.

"Unworthy F1 champ" :lol:
I would say 'hate' is too strong a term. 'Expect better' from a 3 times WDC with his ability, talent and the car he currently has. No need to do anything he did today. Pushing leclerc off, or going up in the inside of russell (which russell admitted was his fault). Max could have waited to do the overtake on the straight. Whats the rush?

Like Vettel, Hamilton at their peak, he's gotten lucky with safety cars and damage from collisions. I suppose that 'luck' plays a part in becoming a multiple world champion.

The most disappointing aspect was turn 1, you'd have though he'd matured by now. Be very interesting to see next season if hes put under realsitic pressure by another driver for the 2024 WDC, if max of 2021 will re-emerge...

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I can accept, this, re-watched it a few times after and yeah Russell's fault, I did give him credit for a good win and no I dont hate him , well not completely :lol:
Fair enough.

It was obviously Russell's fault. As he said himself, he didn't expect him to be there and he simply didn't check to see if he was there, either. And he has a pattern of this. I think he's a very carless driver. Not on Max at all.

Hate is a strong word, of course. Dislike, probably. I know you dislike him. Which is fine, obviously! I very much dislike Hamilton and always have done. But declaring him and "unworthy F1 champ" (you didn't say this) is just madness. The turn 1 incident is different. He was at fault and got punished for it. Just thought the rush to declare him a "cock" and a "twat" for something that wasn't even his fault was funny :lol:

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Verstappen ready to destroy all records. Delightful nugget of a result.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I would say 'hate' is too strong a term. 'Expect better' from a 3 times WDC with his ability, talent and the car he currently has. No need to do anything he did today. Pushing leclerc off, or going up in the inside of russell (which russell admitted was his fault). Max could have waited to do the overtake on the straight. Whats the rush?

Like Vettel, Hamilton at their peak, he's gotten lucky with safety cars and damage from collisions. I suppose that 'luck' plays a part in becoming a multiple world champion.

The most disappointing aspect was turn 1, you'd have though he'd matured by now. Be very interesting to see next season if hes put under realsitic pressure by another driver for the 2024 WDC, if max of 2021 will re-emerge...
The turn 1 incident was his fault. Absolutely no doubt about it. He pushed him off and he got punished for it. It happens. Didn't need to do it, no doubt. The Russell incident is Russell's fault. Max did nothing wrong. He's entitled to do that move.

In terms of "what's the rush?" I mean, he's a racer. He wants to get in front of the car as soon as possible. Why should he wait? He's entitled to make that move. He did nothing wrong. He shouldn't have to hang back and wait. He made the move, Russell did what Russell always does, and turned in on him. Why should the onus be on Max to wait?

So when you say there was no need for him to do what he he did today, you're talking about ONE incident. And he got punished for it.

Also, the talk of maturing and expecting better things a little hollow, to be honest. It's racing. These things happen. Lewis Hamilton is literally the most experienced driver on the grid (behind Alonso) and he STILL makes mistakes and fecks up the race for other drivers. So does the same immaturity apply to him? To me, that's just racing. Mistakes will happen. Max has matured a tremendous amount since he first started.

Calling him a twat for an incident that wasn't even his fault, from a move that he was entitled to make, is bizarre.

And yeah, I'd love to see him battle for the title. You'd see the best of him then. He'll handle it like he did before. Whether he would win it or not, who knows. Let's see. It would be a great spectacle, no doubt.

Redplane

Turn 1 spins explained. Oil on track from pre-race classic cars.

https://www.racefans.net/2023/11/19...ble-pre-race-oil-spill-grid-turn-one-crashes/
And here you are to try your hardest to say Max is pure evil again and him and Charles weren't both caught off guard by the lack of grip into breaking when they both said that that was part of the issue. Max was clearly overly ambitious, should have anticipated it (+took full responsibility for it) and deserved a penalty but look at what happened behind him. If he had tried to jolt the car back onto the line he probably would have spun or slid off track, potentially ruining several races. Given the unexpectedly fast launch and it being a new track, it probably was the best possible outcome.

Anyway point is: having favorites in sports is clearly fine - look at what forum we are on - but especially after things are said and some this world could do with a bit more putting things into perspective. Incidents helped make this race exciting.

Last edited:

dinostar77

And here you are to try your hardest to say Max is pure evil again and him and Charles weren't both caught off guard by the lack of grip into breaking when they both said that that was part of the issue. Max was clearly overly ambitious, should have anticipated it and deserved a penalty but look at what happened behind him. If he had tried to jolt the car back onto the line he probably would have spun or slid off track, potentially ruining several races.
If that was the case, the stewards wouldnt have given him 2 penalty points on his racing licence. They would have said oil on the track contributed to it.

Besides even max has said the penalty he got was justified after the race.

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/...epted that he,Formula 1's most abused penalty.

While Verstappen was unhappy with the penalty initially, upon a post-race review and chat with Leclerc, he accepted full responsibility.

"The start was good then we both braked quite late to defend the position, but I was on the inside on the dirt I guess," Verstappen said after the race.

As soon as you're a bit off-line here, it's just super low grip. I braked and there was no grip.

"I didn't mean to push Charles off the track but I couldn't slow down. I just kept sliding on, four wheels wide.

"That's why we had to go wide. At the time you're also full of adrenaline. And I was not happy with the decision but looking back at it, it was probably right call.

dinostar77

The turn 1 incident was his fault. Absolutely no doubt about it. He pushed him off and he got punished for it. It happens. Didn't need to do it, no doubt. The Russell incident is Russell's fault. Max did nothing wrong. He's entitled to do that move.

In terms of "what's the rush?" I mean, he's a racer. He wants to get in front of the car as soon as possible. Why should he wait? He's entitled to make that move. He did nothing wrong. He shouldn't have to hang back and wait. He made the move, Russell did what Russell always does, and turned in on him. Why should the onus be on Max to wait?

So when you say there was no need for him to do what he he did today, you're talking about ONE incident. And he got punished for it.

Also, the talk of maturing and expecting better things a little hollow, to be honest. It's racing. These things happen. Lewis Hamilton is literally the most experienced driver on the grid (behind Alonso) and he STILL makes mistakes and fecks up the race for other drivers. So does the same immaturity apply to him? To me, that's just racing. Mistakes will happen. Max has matured a tremendous amount since he first started.

Calling him a twat for an incident that wasn't even his fault, from a move that he was entitled to make, is bizarre.

And yeah, I'd love to see him battle for the title. You'd see the best of him then. He'll handle it like he did before. Whether he would win it or not, who knows. Let's see. It would be a great spectacle, no doubt.
In regards to the incident with Russell. Russell was expecting Max to pass him on the next turn i.e. the straight with DRS and Max caught him off guard in his blind spot. Theres no way Russell would have kept max behind him, the merc isnt fast enough. So it was a risk max didnt need to take. He could have broken his front wing entirely and lost the GP win.

As for hamilton, yes hes making mistakes as is alonso. Neither of them are in rocket ship cars where you can apply some patience and wait for a better overtaking opportunity.

Peak Hamilton in the turbo hybrid era was a very clean racer (2021 aside). He didnt want to throw away Championship points or GP wins on risky overtakes. Again he back then also had a rocketship of a car.

Max may have said in regards to turn 1 it was because of a lack of grip, but the stewards have all the onboard telemetry and camera angles. They still decided to give him 2 penalty points on his racing licence. Sseing as normally lap 1 incidents on a whole do go unpunished, the fact that they gave him the 2 points, implies he knew what he was doing and pushed leclerc off.

Redplane

If that was the case, the stewards wouldnt have given him 2 penalty points on his racing licence. They would have said oil on the track contributed to it.

Besides even max has said the penalty he got was justified after the race.

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/max-verstappen-las-vegas-grand-prix-f1-penalty-defence/#:~:text=Max Verstappen accepted that he,Formula 1's most abused penalty.

While Verstappen was unhappy with the penalty initially, upon a post-race review and chat with Leclerc, he accepted full responsibility.

"The start was good then we both braked quite late to defend the position, but I was on the inside on the dirt I guess," Verstappen said after the race.

As soon as you're a bit off-line here, it's just super low grip. I braked and there was no grip.

"I didn't mean to push Charles off the track but I couldn't slow down. I just kept sliding on, four wheels wide.

"That's why we had to go wide. At the time you're also full of adrenaline. And I was not happy with the decision but looking back at it, it was probably right call.
You know Max was agreeing with the 5 secs there and not the penalty pts right? You also clearly quoted him saying what I already said yet you're still trying to make this worse than it is.

The pts seem excessive to me since weve had several more cases of similar situations during the season, even leading to serious damage. Seems to me FIA just wanted to send a message to Max for his radio message. Which - whatever - FIA gonna FIA.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
In regards to the incident with Russell. Russell was expecting Max to pass him on the next turn i.e. the straight with DRS and Max caught him off guard in his blind spot. Theres no way Russell would have kept max behind him, the merc isnt fast enough. So it was a risk max didnt need to take. He could have broken his front wing entirely and lost the GP win.

As for hamilton, yes hes making mistakes as is alonso. Neither of them are in rocket ship cars where you can apply some patience and wait for a better overtaking opportunity.

Peak Hamilton in the turbo hybrid era was a very clean racer (2021 aside). He didnt want to throw away Championship points or GP wins on risky overtakes. Again he back then also had a rocketship of a car.

Max may have said in regards to turn 1 it was because of a lack of grip, but the stewards have all the onboard telemetry and camera angles. They still decided to give him 2 penalty points on his racing licence. Sseing as normally lap 1 incidents on a whole do go unpunished, the fact that they gave him the 2 points, implies he knew what he was doing and pushed leclerc off.
Where did I deny this? I agreed that it was his fault. I never mentioned any mitigating circumstances. I said he pushed Leclerc off. Not sure what else you want me to say there.

I'm sorry, but the thing about them not being in "rocket ship" cars is nonsense, because Hamilton could be just as careless when he was in his own version of a "rocket ship". Let's not pretend for one second that he's an angel. He is far, far from it. He's had his incidents over the years, regardless of what car he was in. It's a nonsensical argument, because some of the incidents that Hamilton has been involved in wasn't becuase he was trying to force an overtake.

And quite frankly, what difference would it make anyway! The fact of the matter is, Hamilton has been involved in some really careless incidents (two this year I can think of off the top of my head) that has compromised other drivers. So again, is he also an immature twat for these. I just seen them as part of racing, personally.

And again you are offering mitigating circumstances for Russell by putting a lot of the blame on Max. So what if Russell didn't expect him to take over there. That is not Verstappen's problem. Russell should be aware of his surroundings. The onus is not on Max to wait around. This was Russell's fault and that's that. So again, we come back to the fact that Max was involved in ONE incident that he was punished for, yet this indicates that he's a twat and he's immature.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs

are you OK?

Although it’s Russell’s error, I don’t understand why Max took the risk to overtake at that point particularly as he probably would have taken him easily on the next DRS straight. But I guess even Max is human after all.

dinostar77

Where did I deny this? I agreed that it was his fault. I never mentioned any mitigating circumstances. I said he pushed Leclerc off. Not sure what else you want me to say there.

I'm sorry, but the thing about them not being in "rocket ship" cars is nonsense, because Hamilton could be just as careless when he was in his own version of a "rocket ship". Let's not pretend for one second that he's an angel. He is far, far from it. He's had his incidents over the years, regardless of what car he was in. It's a nonsensical argument, because some of the incidents that Hamilton has been involved in wasn't becuase he was trying to force an overtake.

And quite frankly, what difference would it make anyway! The fact of the matter is, Hamilton has been involved in some really careless incidents (two this year I can think of off the top of my head) that has compromised other drivers. So again, is he also an immature twat for these. I just seen them as part of racing, personally.

And again you are offering mitigating circumstances for Russell by putting a lot of the blame on Max. So what if Russell didn't expect him to take over there. That is not Verstappen's problem. Russell should be aware of his surroundings. The onus is not on Max to wait around. This was Russell's fault and that's that. So again, we come back to the fact that Max was involved in ONE incident that he was punished for, yet this indicates that he's a twat and he's immature.
I said it was russell's fault as did russell. Why are you being so precious about me saying he's a twat and immature when another poster said Hamilton was trying to kill Piastri? Have you spoken to him about that?

I called hamilton a twat for something he did a previous race or two ago and im a hamilton fan. But dare criticise max verstappen on here.....

Its a forum we have opinions and can criticise if we choose to.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I said it was russell's fault as did russell. Why are you being so precious about me saying he's a twat and immature when another poster said Hamilton was trying to kill Piastri? Have you spoken to him about that?

I called hamilton a twat for something he did a previous race or two ago and im a hamilton fan. But dare criticise max verstappen on here.....

Its a forum we have opinions and can criticise if we choose to.
Alright mate, chill out.

Also, give me a break about " But dare criticise max verstappen on here....." :lol:

Loads of people in this thread criticise him every week. What are you smoking.

Where did i say you couldn't criticise? I was just remarking on your nonsensical argument you were making (you know, because it's a forum, and all. We all have opinions and can criticise if we choose). What you were saying made no sense. I'm not being precious at all. You were just making a nonsensical argument then doubled down on it, and now you've just become incredibly defensive.

I haven't read that post about Piastri. But if thats' what was said, obviously it's hyperbolic nonsense. Which I assume the person who said it was going for. It's also completely irrelevant to what we were discussing.

arthurka

This was mildly entertaining. The RB domination is beginning to look a bit ridiculous for all the other teams. That Honda power unit is beyond anything on the park, Verstappen is just bullying everyone else and they just have a packet unchallenged. They are just in another league.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
This was mildly entertaining. The RB domination is beginning to look a bit ridiculous for all the other teams. That Honda power unit is beyond anything on the park, Verstappen is just bullying everyone else and they just have a packet unchallenged. They are just in another league.
I thought it was more than mildly entertaining, personally. I mean, my expectations were rock bottom, but dare I say, it was one of the most entertaining races of the season...:nervous:

Apart from the last few laps, the number one spot was up for grabs. A couple of safety cars, lots of overtaking, a few incidents. I quite liked it.

arthurka

I thought it was more than mildly entertaining, personally. I mean, my expectations were rock bottom, but dare I say, it was one of the most entertaining races of the season...:nervous:

Apart from the last few laps, the number one spot was up for grabs. A couple of safety cars, lots of overtaking, a few incidents. I quite liked it.
I don't know I just find this era boring as feck.