F1 2023 Season

It's something all the top drivers do when theyre starting out; put their nose there and let the defending driver decide what to do. Russell's fault but Max took the risk going there.

Whether he's at fault or not he is always there when there's trouble and doesn't seem to be learning.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Saw it today, literally one of biggest cringes I've seen on TV :lol:

hobbers

Why are you being so precious about me saying he's a twat and immature when another poster said Hamilton was trying to kill Piastri? Have you spoken to him about that?
Because that was obviously a joke.

Not using a perfectly fair, non-DRS assisted racing move to try and feed a false narrative about someone being immature and x y z.

Ahmer Baig

A fun Twitter thread of people in Las Vegas employing ingenuity to see the racing action.

pauldyson1uk

Still all to play for in Superbru Fantasy.
rpitroda and UnitedHobbit , both on 273.5 points, unless they both forgot to pick at the weekend, which is unlikely one of those will be champion.
hob is too far behind on 267.5 and me on 264 will not be catching them.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
That cat has left the bag a long time ago, maybe he's at the end of his rope with Vegas, but otherwise meh

If it was about the sport solely, then explain Bahrain/Monaco/Abu Dhabi/Miami

And would the drivers race if the money wasn't as much? (I'm sure Verstappen would, he seems to be a driver's driver).

Also, a bit of the "pure Euro snob" in this, but understandable

That cat has left the bag a long time ago, maybe he's at the end of his rope with Vegas, but otherwise meh

If it was about the sport solely, then explain Bahrain/Monaco/Abu Dhabi/Miami

And would the drivers race if the money wasn't as much? (I'm sure Verstappen would, he seems to be a driver's driver).

Also, a bit of the "pure Euro snob" in this, but understandable
The drivers have complained about those tracks plenty in the past (except Monaco, as that's a much different circuit to other street events).

He mentioned Monza and Spa but it's not purely Euro snobbery, they all love places like Suzuka and Interlagos and new tracks can be done well from time to time. It's the monotony of the long straight followed by tight hairpin that wrecks them all.

dinostar77

Apparently he got a talking to from his dad and other RB seniors in terms of toning down his criticism after that interview, probably a request from F1/FIA. Which i think is rubbish. As a driver he should be able to speak his mind. We dont want autonomon's who just tow the party line as much as F1/FIA would like that.

Thats one thing i do like about him, that he's a traditionalist i.e. practice on friday, qually on saturday and race on sunday. Plus he hates the sprint races as many of us do.

Last edited:

Abizzz

One good thing is it's not a Tilke copy paste job. The long straights might not be popular with most but I like it for being different. To be frank the race delivered more than I had hoped for.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The drivers have complained about those tracks plenty in the past (except Monaco, as that's a much different circuit to other street events).

He mentioned Monza and Spa but it's not purely Euro snobbery, they all love places like Suzuka and Interlagos and new tracks can be done well from time to time. It's the monotony of the long straight followed by tight hairpin that wrecks them all.
Which is weird, because Monaco is just a procession once qualifiers are done. It gets a pass on legacy but as a new circuit would be panned

Fair enough on the second point

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Thank god for Max. Shame some of the other experienced drivers haven't spoken up. Maybe they don't care. Vettel would have.

redshaw

Valencia was another poor track and in Europe no less, but a nice setting. Suzuka, Interlagos, Spa Silverstone Monza and even Austin Texas are what is good for fans and drivers. Monaco is a historical event that many have argued should be stopped, it's still very interesting to drive and as an exception ok.

I liked the Las Vegas GP and thought it would generate a good race. If you have a few of these on the calendar it's fine but if they phase out the roots for these showcase party or soulless fabrication places or keep stacking them in then the sport becomes something else. Too many races, sprint weekends can be very draining on the families and leisure time for everyone involved which Max has alluded too.

Last edited:

Which is weird, because Monaco is just a procession once qualifiers are done. It gets a pass on legacy but as a new circuit would be panned

Fair enough on the second point
It's only impossible to overtake due to modern aero. It never used to be the case, and the zero margin for error makes it special amongst drivers. New street circuits all have massive run off areas.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Monaco is to F1, what indy is to indy car, wembley is to England, sure there is better stadiums but this is the one, the biggest problem with Monaco is the size of the cars now.

United Hobbit

Still all to play for in Superbru Fantasy.
rpitroda and UnitedHobbit , both on 273.5 points, unless they both forgot to pick at the weekend, which is unlikely one of those will be champion.
hob is too far behind on 267.5 and me on 264 will not be catching them.
So close! The fantasy league is more exciting than the actual championships - it's like the 2021 season, going into the last race level on points

So annoyed I didn't trust my initial prediction of Charles on pole this weekend

I actually enjoyed the race itself, I think the cold weather made it more exciting as tyres weren't warming up, plus the unpredictable grid (however I'm one who wants reverse grid sprint races)

They need to try only using DRS at the tracks it's really needed so people can't just breeze past

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Monaco is to F1, what indy is to indy car, wembley is to England, sure there is better stadiums but this is the one, the biggest problem with Monaco is the size of the cars now.
some go kart tracks i’ve seen have an upstairs bit. if they put that in at monaco, you could decide to drive on the upstairs bit if the person in front of you downstairs is too slow.

pacifictheme

I read the transcript of this and am glad I watched it too because it comes across even better than when I read it. He's spot on in my opinion. F1 has such a rich history and I think some of the newer fans have no interest in that. To think that spa is at risk and this has the potential for ten years is absolutely mad. I think max speaks for most long term F1 fans here.

its a shame as well because America has an amazing racing history, and some iconic tracks. Why can't liberty look to invest some money into Watkins glen as an example, a great track, rather than spend tens of millions or whatever on a fake track on a street or in a car park.

hobbers

its a shame as well because America has an amazing racing history, and some iconic tracks. Why can't liberty look to invest some money into Watkins glen as an example, a great track, rather than spend tens of millions or whatever on a fake track on a street or in a car park.
Those idiots would sooner back another midnight street race through Manhattan than go 250 miles upstate to Watkins Glen. Same story in Florida. Why race somewhere steeped in american motorsport history like Sebring when you can force the fans to have a miserable extortionate time in Miami.

Those idiots would sooner back another midnight street race through Manhattan than go 250 miles upstate to Watkins Glen. Same story in Florida. Why race somewhere steeped in american motorsport history like Sebring when you can force the fans to have a miserable extortionate time in Miami.
I'd love to see F1 cars try and last for 2 hours at Sebring.

United Hobbit

Watching the Brawn documentary shows how many tracks have disappeared from the calendar. Wonder what F1 will look like 10 years from now

F-Red

Watching the Brawn documentary shows how many tracks have disappeared from the calendar. Wonder what F1 will look like 10 years from now
Only the four tracks I counted that are no longer on the calendar. I don't think it'll look that much different in 10 years as most circuits are signing longer term deals due to the increased popularity of the sport.

dinostar77

Denver Broncos used "Max Verstappen" as an audible call.

Lewis hamilton is part owner of Denver Bronos !

:lol::lol:

dinostar77

The Brawn GP story on disney + is excellent.

On episode 2. Didnt know that in Malaysia (round 2), if they had restarted the race, neither brawn car would have restarted (i'll leave out the reason why).

F-Red

The Brawn GP story on disney + is excellent.

On episode 2. Didnt know that in Malaysia (round 2), if they had restarted the race, neither brawn car would have restarted (i'll leave out the reason why).
It's very good, finished it yesterday. The internal rivalry story was as fascinating as the external fight that Brawn faced.

Horner looks like a different man back in 2009, can't help thinking he's been to Turkey!

dinostar77

It's very good, finished it yesterday. The internal rivalry story was as fascinating as the external fight that Brawn faced.

Horner looks like a different man back in 2009, can't help thinking he's been to Turkey!
Just finished it. We've lost some good tracks in F1. 16 races is the right amount for a season. Not the overbloated 24 we have now. Vettel would have been champion if the season had gone to 24 races. Id forgotten how quick and fast he was in his Red Bull days.

Id also forgotten how much Button was letting the pressure get to him and how much his achillies heal of tyre temps affected him that season.

Massa made a good point about pressures on brasilian F1 drivers, Fittipaldi, Piquet and the legend all brasilian drivers will be compared to; senna. Thats alot of pressure.

Bernie still seems to be bitter still at all the money he had to give away to the teams.

Ahmer Baig

From the Press Conference:
1. What was your take on what happened there? And what was your reaction to the five-second penalty?

Max Verstappen: Well, I mean, the start was good. But then, we braked quite late to defend the position but I was a bit on the inside,
on the dirt, I guess. As soon as you’re a bit off-line here, it’s super low grip. And that's what happened.
I braked and there was no grip. I didn't mean to push Charles off the track, but I couldn't slow it down and I just kept sliding
on four wheels, wide. So that's why we had to go wide.

You know, at the time, you’re also full of adrenaline and I was not happy with the decision. But, you know, looking back at it,
it was probably the right call. And yeah, after that, with that five seconds it was definitely a bit harder to come back to the front.

Charles Leclerc: Yeah, well, I think Max already came to me and explained me the situation. Obviously, it was on the limit,
over the limits and I think the five seconds penalty is deserved. It was tight. I still try to push off the track,
but it was so low grip, to try and keep that position. But it's the way it is. He has been penalised. He paid a penalty.
And I think that was the right penalty to give.
It was fun and then we talked about it, he explained the situation and that's what it is. It's good'.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Yeah, it seems both teams are fighting hard for that constructor position based on last few races.

dinostar77

The second link with hamilton standing, not the first one. I cant get rid of the first video.

Too many freudian slips...

Norris, Leclerc, Horner, Kravitz, Perez :lol:

Last edited: