Fabio da Silva | 2012/13 Performances (on loan at QPR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Not basing this on anything, just throwing it out there. It could be that Fergie wanted to send him on loan to a PL side and QPR were the best choice and/or were the only ones that promised to give him lots of game time.
If that were the case than I believe that would be reason enough to outweigh the "stability" as you put it, in other teams.
Going to QPR was mainly Fabio's decision wasn't it? He had an offer from Benfica as well I think and his mother(?) spoke in good terms about that club saying he was going there on loan.

OGkush

Hey man, got any papers?
Going to QPR was mainly Fabio's decision wasn't it? He had an offer from Benfica as well I think and his mother(?) spoke in good terms about that club saying he was going there on loan.
Didn't know that.
But again the fact that QPR plays in the Premier League must've influenced his or SAF's decision. That or he dislikes Benfica for some reason I couldn't care or bother to think of.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Didn't know that.
But again the fact that QPR plays in the Premier League must've influenced his or SAF's decision. That or he dislikes Benfica for some reason I couldn't care or bother to think of.
Yeah, there were comments by him that he wanted to play in the Premier League to stay in Fergie's mind and help his development to the game in this country. Benfica play in Europe but he saw it as being much more valuable that he plays in the Premier League rather than a foreign side which play in the Champions League.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
Always wondered why he want to QPR. There is something about the whole set up there that doesn't ring true.
Firstly, Macheda isn't as good a player as Fabio in terms of prolonged contribution to first team football. Macheda supposedly put off a lot of clubs wanting him on loan due to attitude problems such as arrogance (that he's a United player) and laziness. At the other end of the spectrum, Fabio turned down Champions' League football as he felt it wouldnt be as beneficial to his career here.

Secondly, Macheda was brought into a team that at the time didn't have Djibril Cisse for competition, and as a result Macheda got quite a bit of football in the first two months or so. Once the relegation dogfight started heating up, Hughes (who didn't even sign Macheda) was forced to call on more experienced heads. Fabio's only competition for the left back spot is Armand Traore, who Fabio easily displaces when fit.

Personally I think QPR is a great place to send him on loan, the amount of experience a player can gain from being in a relegation scrap is huge.

NinjaFletch

I don't really think it matters where he goes. He's clearly a player thats already good enough. He was excellent in our run to the CL final at RB and I think the most important consideration is that he actually plays. Fitness and injuries are the most limiting factor on his development right now.

Brophs

The One and Only
I fecking hate QPR as a club. They'll sack Hughes, buy seven left backs and he'll sit on the bench for the rest of the season.

jem

Part of me thinks it wouldn't be the worst thing to bring him back and have him spell Rafael and/or Evra (Buttner being very much an unproven commodity at this point.) I know Jones is coming back soon, but it's hard to predict where he'll be at after being out so long.

Brophs

The One and Only
On the bench for QPR tonight. Behind Armand fecking Traore.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He returned in their last game, replaced Bosingwa with around 20 minutes left.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
I'm surprised he didn't play more for us at RB. Between him and Rafael they could have had plenty of games together plus I would have rather seen him there instead of Smalling or Jones.

Either way the most important thing for him now is to get a regular run of matches and to stay fit. Hopefully he comes back strongly from this injury and we can start to see the type of progression we've seen from Rafael over the years, although it will be a while before he's at Rafael's level.

Widnes

I'm surprised he didn't play more for us at RB. Between him and Rafael they could have had plenty of games together plus I would have rather seen him there instead of Smalling or Jones.

Either way the most important thing for him now is to get a regular run of matches and to stay fit. Hopefully he comes back strongly from this injury and we can start to see the type of progression we've seen from Rafael over the years, although it will be a while before he's at Rafael's level.
at the back end of the 2010/11 season he was superb at RB, one of the only players to come out of the CL final with any credit IMO and felt he had the done enough to start the 11/12 season as first choice. Rafael is just amazing there now so LB is probably is best option.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
at the back end of the 2010/11 season he was superb at RB, one of the only players to come out of the CL final with any credit IMO and felt he had the done enough to start the 11/12 season as first choice. Rafael is just amazing there now so LB is probably is best option.
Yeah definitely but he's like John O'Shea in the sense that he can play both positions. When he comes back next season I'd like to see him challenging For that left back spot whilst being back up to Rafael on the right hand side when he needs a rest.

wonnie

I'm not sure how I feel about a right-footed LB. Provided he fulfils his potential he is world class (like Rafael) but that overlap on the left flank from a natural left-footed LB is vital IMO in terms of balance.

Just means we probably need a left sided winger to compensate, enter Gareth Bale :D

prateik

Yeah. Expect him to get more minutes now that he is back fit. Its not like their other defenders have done brilliantly either.

ciderman9000000

thought Mbia was a really good left back that played against us, very strong quick and has a good engine. Good competition there.
Mbia is a far better player than Fabio as things stand. Fabio has great potential, but QPR don't give up feck about that, and nor should they; Mbia should be starting ahead of him as he's their best option.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Mbia isn't a left back though. He might be used there occasionally but he is mainly a centre half and should play there ahead of Hill, Nelsen, Ferdinand or whoever else they play there. He could also play as a defensive midfielder, much better than Derry.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Hmm, what's with United loaning players to teams and then the manager being sacked shortly thereafter?

Steve Bruce made it through Welbeck's loan, but he was out by the end of November in the next season. Macheda saw his manager at Sampdoria sacked during his first loan and also saw Warnock leave QPR during his second.

Now Fabio has seen Warnock's replacement fired before the end of November.

Good thing Moyes bought Gibson straight out, he's safe.

anver

Shart stop
Next time we loan a player, we can be sure the manager will get the sack pretty soon. Managers may be a bit wary of loaning our players.:devil:

Platato

Psst!
I'm not sure how I feel about a right-footed LB. Provided he fulfils his potential he is world class (like Rafael) but that overlap on the left flank from a natural left-footed LB is vital IMO in terms of balance.

Just means we probably need a left sided winger to compensate, enter Gareth Bale :D
Think of Lahm

Brophs

The One and Only

Glaston has already tried.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I don't see how Fabio will benefit more being on loan at QPR than at United. At the moment it doesn't seem he's getting more game time than Buttner.

Fabio played in the 2011 Champions League final against Villa, Messi and Pedro what is he going to learn from playing against the lesser lights of the Premier League?

The biggest difference maker between Fabio and Rafael is that Rafa has bulked up considerably since he joined United whereas Fabio hasn't. Compared to Rafael Fabio is comparatively easy to out jump, out muscle and out hussle and its mostly because Rafa has become stockier and stronger in a way Fabio hasn't. R

afa doesn't have to sacrifice his position when defending like Fabio does because he's stronger in the tackle that makes him less vulnerable. Fabio backs off more because he has to trust timing above power and that can make people like Zaha look godlike against him cos they're quick and strong. That won't change being at QPR.

Fabio would've been better spending this year in the gym at United than at loan in London.

Rossa

Well, Fabio probably crosses better with his left foot than Evra does. Furthermore, he also offers a threat cutting in and having a fairly decent shot on him.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Well, Fabio probably crosses better with his left foot than Evra does. Furthermore, he also offers a threat cutting in and having a fairly decent shot on him.
I dont think Fabio has a good left foot at all. If it wasn't for his brother i would have no doubt that he should be playing at right back. Everything he does on that side just doesn't look overly comfortable to me

Rossa

I dont think Fabio has a good left foot at all. If it wasn't for his brother i would have no doubt that he should be playing at right back. Everything he does on that side just doesn't look overly comfortable to me
Really? Admittedly, I haven't seen Fabio that much, but from memory, I remember some sweet left footed crosses from him. He played left-back when he was regarded the brighter prospect of the two, so I doubt that Rafael pushed him onto that side.

gormless

Allow me to refresh your memory

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Really? Admittedly, I haven't seen Fabio that much, but from memory, I remember some sweet left footed crosses from him. He played left-back when he was regarded the brighter prospect of the two, so I doubt that Rafael pushed him onto that side.
Fabio played upfront or midfield initially and moved to left back at some point whilst Rafael was always a right back. I really want Fabio to make it so have been watching him very closely at left back (and i'm a right footed left back myself).

He doesn't to me look comfortable at shifting the ball onto his left side and playing it up the line, or making space for himself onto that side, adjusting his body to receive etc. Pretty much everything he does is perfectly suited to playing at right back. He does overlap pretty well, but his crossing is relatively weak, he does at times get it into the right sort of area when he's on the run but again he struggles to shift onto his left and cross it in if he has less room. Ho

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
'Arry better play the kid.

Don't want a lost year for a player who has shown he can start and hold his own against Barca.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Does Fabio have a realistic future with us? Can anyone see him being Evra's replacement in 18 months?

Varun

Staff
Does Fabio have a realistic future with us? Can anyone see him being Evra's replacement in 18 months?
If he plays regularly at QPR, why not? He has the talent. What he needs is luck with injuries and plenty of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.