Fabio da Silva | 2012/13 Performances (on loan at QPR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Does Fabio have a realistic future with us? Can anyone see him being Evra's replacement in 18 months?
At the moment no. Kid needs to add a pound of muscle or two. Rafa is short, stocky, quick and tenacious=built for the Premier league. Fabio is sadly a long way from that now. If he only spent some time bulking up he'd be great but I don't see it at the moment sadly.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Bulking up? Come on, you can do better than that.

Being Rafael's identical twin, and the higher rated of the two when they arrived, I'd say there's every reason to think he has the same football potential, he just needs the chance.

Bulking up? Come on, you can do better than that.

Being Rafael's identical twin, and the higher rated of the two when they arrived, I'd say there's every reason to think he has the same football potential, he just needs the chance.
That's like saying Quaresma was higher rated than the artist formerly known as CR7 once upon a time. In the Premier League technique without strength isn't enough and while Fabio has plenty of the former he ain't added the latter like Rafa has. Rafa is comprehensively the better full back now. Fabio could improve sure but he ain't working on the right stuff and QPR ain't helping him.

Shimo

That's like saying Quaresma was higher rated than the artist formerly known as CR7 once upon a time. In the Premier League technique without strength isn't enough and while Fabio has plenty of the former he ain't added the latter like Rafa has. Rafa is comprehensively the better full back now. Fabio could improve sure but he ain't working on the right stuff and QPR ain't helping him.
Sorry how do you know he isn't working on the right stuff?

Seems pretty obvious the problem has been his lack of continuity as a player in whether he develops into a player that be deemed a United quality player, it hasn't been because he hasn't bulked up.

As far as QPR not helping him, well he was starting before he got injured once again - he's just come back from injury and in one game he couldn't play due to being against us, so how is it they aren't helping him?

Will Absolute

If, when the twins came to the club, Evra was playing right back and Neville left, Fabio would now be a regular, and Rafael out on loan. There's no difference in their innate football potential.

Hopefully, Fab will get an injury free run at QPR and come back to challenge Patrice next season.

Rossa

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Fabio technically better than Rafael and a better dribbler? He also struck me as arguably being slightly quicker (Rafael is more than quick enough, mind you). He also looked more composed, like Rafael is now, but maybe not as physically strong or as strong a tackler.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I think it's a different proposition with identical twins. Besides, as others pointed out, Fabio was picked ahead of Rafael for several games in the 2010-11 season, including the CL final, so you could argue that Fabio was ahead of his brother as recently as a year and a half ago.

Of course Rafael's success is not a guarantee that Fabio will succeed, but I think it's fair to take it as an indicator.

Ekeke

Who cares which is technically more gifted?

The reason Rafael is in the team is because of his determination and hunger. This is clearly an aspect he has over his brother.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Is it? I thought Fabio looked very hungry and determined in his games for us. If anything he needed to reign in his enthusiasm a bit, like Rafael did.

Claymore

What about David Silva, he's all technique and just a little guy, there are others too. A good player doesn't need masses of strength to shine as even in the Premier League the ref will dish out the yellow cards for silly tackles and fouls.

The reason Rafael is in the team is because of his determination and hunger. This is clearly an aspect he has over his brother.

Determination and hunger? :lol: What rubbish, how do you know that, have you met them or something. The only reason Rafael is doing well and getting games is because Gary Neville was about 50 and Wes Brown, O'shea etc have gone. Evra is still first choice left back and there is now Buttner as well which means Fabio won't get the games he wants no matter how much "determination", pace or 'desire' for that matter, he has. He's an attacking LB, sure he needs to tackle but if he's technically good enough he should player.

Cold_Boy

Or just a bit of bad luck with injuries maybe?

SAF recently said Fabio and Rafael are so similar ability, potential etc wise but Fabio only has not developed due to his injuries.

Ekeke

As I said its clear. Not surprised people who just look at technical qualities can miss it though

Rossa

As I said its clear. Not surprised people who just look at technical qualities can miss it though
Who just looked at technical abilities? Surely, it should be possible to discuss a players technical ability, pace, passing abilities etc without looking ONLY at those things?

Count Orduck

Ah, so you're the shining light, beaming a ray of truth to illuminate the simpletons blinded by technical ability?

Either that, or you're talking out your arse, again.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
So he's made 2 cameo appearances now since returning from that injury - both quite late on so probably not much of an impact. Still, at least he's getting some game time!

Mystry

Friendship is magic
He should be starting over someone like Traore or Onuoha. He came on for Shaun Wright Phillips today but that was probably more about shoring up the defence than possibly playing him on the wing.

So he's made 2 cameo appearances now since returning from that injury - both quite late on so probably not much of an impact. Still, at least he's getting some game time!
Wasted at QPR. Instead of loaning him out and buying Buttner as cover for Evra why didn't we just keep Fabio as cover for Evra?

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
We definitely need to have an option to recall the player if the manager is fired. Or for any reason we want, for that matter, you never know what might go wrong.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
But if we hadn't loaned out Fabio, then we couldn't have bought Büttner, and we might even have prioritized to bring in a midfielder.

Can't you see?

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Wasted at QPR. Instead of loaning him out and buying Buttner as cover for Evra why didn't we just keep Fabio as cover for Evra?
I think it must have been Fabio's decision in the end. He could have easily said no to the offer after the club accepted it.

To be honest, he would have very little playing time here as well. Look at how much Buttner played so far.

binary bot
He was never going to get the gametime that he needs to develop like his brother. If he stayed, he'd be getting the gametime that Buttner is currently getting - meaningless CL ties and Carling Cup ties which both are over for this year, whereas he could be playing every other game out on loan (which he was, until the injury).

lysglimt

Scout
Fabio was playing until he got injured. Stop being so negative - some loan deals work out - others don't.

Ole'sbodyguard

Has he been playing right or left back for them before the injury?

Still not convinced SAF sees him as a left back as he was used on the right side by United more often than the left these last three years.

When did the Swansea fullback get injured in relation to Fabio's loan move
As that would have almost seemed a perfect fit

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He played 90 minutes today against Newcastle, on left back.

Defensively looked good before the goal they conceeded, he had couple of good last ditch tackles, but goal came through his side, it was partly probably his fault. Did nothing in attack, but that was more down to their team then him, they were happy to defend their goal for whole game, and do nothing in attack.

dr.twinny

He played 90 minutes today against Newcastle, on left back.

Defensively looked good before the goal they conceeded, he had couple of good last ditch tackles, but goal came through his side, it was partly probably his fault. Did nothing in attack, but that was more down to their team then him, they were happy to defend their goal for whole game, and do nothing in attack.
Good to know he got 90 mins under his belt. Let's hope he can stay fit for the rest of the season.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Yes, it was strange, Fabio just managed to avoid a rogue swarm of bees that took up the left flank in the first 10 minutes. Then there was a loose girder than fell onto the field and almost crushed him. And that's not to mention the meteorite.

I only saw the first 55 minutes, but I thought he looked pretty good. The game was so dull I had to snap out of my daze to realize I could change the channel.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I'm still confused/disappointed that we didn't try to get him on loan even without a Baines transfer move. He could have filled in at Right back if needed be which would have helped us at times like this when we are short on numbers.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I'm still confused/disappointed that we didn't try to get him on loan even without a Baines transfer move. He could have filled in at Right back if needed be which would have helped us at times like this when we are short on numbers.
That would not have helped his development. We need him to play as much as possible not sit on the bench every week.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
That would not have helped his development. We need him to play as much as possible not sit on the bench every week.
I'm sure that Moyes, like me, doesn't care much for his development and would have wanted him as a solid squad player to not only make up the numbers but do a good job when he came into the side. He'd have got around 15 games i'd have thought.

NM

I'm sure that Moyes, like me, doesn't care much for his development and would have wanted him as a solid squad player to not only make up the numbers but do a good job when he came into the side. He'd have got around 15 games i'd have thought.
Well why would we send him to you if you didn't care? 15 games is a bad loan spell.

Status
Not open for further replies.