FIFA end their ban on Russia's U17 boys and girls national football teams

JuriM

Inappropriate Behavior
Knock it off with the name calling.
I haven't even started yet, all the Vatniks need a proper outing here. For every 16-17-year-old "kid" who would represent Russia, there are more than 100x of them in Ukraine who have died or are in danger every day.

Everyone who comes out of their Russian propaganda bubble talk here deserves a proper outing and banishing from the boards.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Conditions will be imposed on Russian teams by FIFA, including playing under the name “Football Union of Russia” rather than “Russia,” and not having their national flag, anthem or colors on display at matches.
So they won't be playing under their flag. I think its only a matter of time until Russian football is back into European competitions, maybe in two seasons time.

Bole Top

these are kids after all. just about a month ago we had Russian tennis player playing the GS final in NY and actually being supported. makes little sense for kids to remain under the ban.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Good. Stop punishing kids for the decisions of politicians.
You've had a mare there.

They have to play teams in Europe and there's barely a country left on the continent their head cnut has not threatened over the past 18 months.

I'd be curious where you are from if you don't mind the added propaganda from this for Putin who has already shown he's quite adept at propaganda based on their young tennis reps.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
You've had a mare there.

They have to play teams in Europe and there's barely a country left on the continent their head cnut has not threatened over the past 18 months.

I'd be curious where you are from if you don't mind the added propaganda from this for Putin who has already shown he's quite adept at propaganda based on their young tennis reps.
I'm originally from Brazil and have lived most of my life in the US. I have traveled all over the world but have never been to Russia. Not sure why any of that is relevant, but in the interest of transparency, there's the answer to your question.

I've explained my thought process behind this already. If you disagree, so be it - we'll agree to disagree on this. If the concern is the use of propaganda, then have them play without the flag, colors, or anthem (which is exactly what they plan on doing).

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I'm originally from Brazil and have lived most of my life in the US. I have traveled all over the world but have never been to Russia. Not sure why any of that is relevant, but in the interest of transparency, there's the answer to your question.

I've explained my thought process behind this already. If you disagree, so be it - we'll agree to disagree on this. If the concern is the use of propaganda, then have them play without the flag, colors, or anthem (which is exactly what they plan on doing).
Figures you don't live anywhere close to Russian bombs, to be honest.

Sounds exactly like how someone from the US that's not affected directly or indirectly by this would talk about something as insignificant as football.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
these are kids after all. just about a month ago we had Russian tennis player playing the GS final in NY and actually being supported. makes little sense for kids to remain under the ban.
Good point. There are Russian tennis players who can compete a Wimbledon as long as they promise to not express support for the invasion and sign statements to affirm their neutrality. These kids have done nothing beyond the misfortune of where they happened to be born.

Big Ben Foster

Supports
Figures you don't live anywhere close to Russian bombs, to be honest.

Sounds exactly like how someone from the US that's not affected directly or indirectly by this would talk about something as insignificant as football.
If you can explain to me how banning U17 players from playing football prevents Russian bombs from going off, I'm all ears. If there's a logical link between the two, then I'll concede the point. Until now all I've heard are non-sequitors and emotional arguments.

Also, many of us in the US take very seriously the terrifying possibility of this war escalating into a nuclear conflict. Which would very much affect us directly.

Last edited:

Pronewbie

Peep
Good. It was part of Western programming to not mix politics with sports while some of them were, and continue to, wage war around the world and commit all kinds of atrocities.

Thankfully there are those that can see through the hypocrisy and not hide behind the whataboutism banner.

Also, it's good for all sides to directly expose themselves to the other sides' people and propaganda to prevent a frog in a well scenario, a bit media "reports" on United. Only with mutual exchanges and understanding between the common folk can peaceful solutions be found.

Big Ben Foster

Supports
I wouldn't go around proudly admitting I fell for Putin's bluff
I never said it was going to happen or that it's even likely to happen. My point is that it's a possibility that has to be accounted for when a conflict involving nuclear powers escalates.

Righteous Steps

feck Russia. Neither their football or culture or anything that comes out of that scum country should be rewarded with international recognition.

I hope all their kids have failed careers in anything they try. I would wish for worse, but I don't want to be banned.
Horrible post.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
there are many other places on the internet where one can spew bile and hatred, not sure why redcafe football forum should be one of them

mu4c_20le

If you can explain to me how banning U17 players from playing football prevents Russian bombs from going off, I'm all ears. If there's a logical link between the two, then I'll concede the point. Until now all I've heard are non-sequitors and emotional arguments.

Also, many of us in the US take very seriously the terrifying possibility of this war escalating into a nuclear conflict. Which would very much affect us directly.
Direct Western military intervention would prevent more Russian bombs from going off. Do you want that?

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
We shouldn't punish ordinary citizens for the decisions of their governments. We should let russians play their sports everywhere. We should also allow them to travel anywhere, I mean, normal tourists are not to blame for the decisions of their government. And lift sanctions, they affect mostly lower class people without any power to influence politics.

Maybe if life in russia and for most russians goes on as normally as possible they will feel that invading another nation has consequences. Wait...

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Find it amusing a Brazilian trying to lecture someone from Estonia regarding Russia. I won't go into insults, although I obviously disagree with this measure.

Through my wife, I've seen plenty of pictures of young russian athletes who display z symbols and outright declare their support to the war. Russia is nation of zombie slaves from young to old people. Only my opinion but I got no respect for them.

I've also met Ukrainian kids who had to abandon their country, lost parents, mostly their fathers, gave up on their sport careers and are trying to restart here in Portugal. Some of the stories I've heard are tragic, way worse than facing temporary bans.

Big Ben Foster

Supports
Find it amusing a Brazilian trying to lecture someone from Estonia regarding Russia. I won't go into insults, although I obviously disagree with this measure.

Through my wife, I've seen plenty of pictures of young russian athletes who display z symbols and outright declare their support to the war. Russia is nation of zombie slaves from young to old people. Only my opinion but I got no respect for them.

I've also met Ukrainian kids who had to abandon their country, lost parents, mostly their fathers, gave up on their sport careers and are trying to restart here in Portugal. Some of the stories I've heard are tragic, way worse than facing temporary bans.
I'm not trying to lecture anybody. OP is the one mindlessly insulting other posters (including an admin) and accusing anybody who disagrees with his opinion of being a Russian sympathizer.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Nobody in their right mind would compare both wars.
You wouldn't and, seeing your posts on this board on things outside the Ukraine war, I can see why.

For people living in the region though, the wars are not different at all.

mu4c_20le

I'm not trying to lecture anybody. OP is the one mindlessly insulting other posters (including an admin) and accusing anybody who disagrees with his opinion of being a Russian sympathizer.
But you accused him of being blinded by irrational hatred without even trying to understand where he was coming from?

mu4c_20le

Yes, in response to his post where he accused me and another poster of being:
Pretty sure he was calling you extremely gullible, not in the nicest way, but he wasn't hoping for the latter. Anyways. It's a heated topic.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
You do sound like one though. You just can't dissociate the youth from the official Russian policies that easily, most of them do support and embrace it.

They are a brainwashed nation of slaves. Watch Daniil Orain videos for a reality check. It's a depressing watch. I think Russia is a hopeless imperialist nation, with a deep contempt for ukranian or ex Soviet union countries lives.

So it doesn't surprise me the level of hatred people from those countries feel for Russians and I sincerely think they will never get over it. Even in this type of trivial matters, they won't back down.

Big Ben Foster

Supports
You do sound like one though. You just can't dissociate the youth from the official Russian policies that easily, most of them do support and embrace it.

They are a brainwashed nation of slaves. Watch Daniil Orain videos for a reality check. It's a depressing watch. I think Russia is a hopeless imperialist nation, with a deep contempt for ukranian or ex Soviet union countries lives.

So it doesn't surprise me the level of hatred people from those countries feel for Russians and I sincerely think they will never get over it. Even in this type of trivial matters, they won't back down.
So refusing to generalize an entire country's population based on their government's actions makes me a sympathizer. Got it.

I guess we'll just leave it there. Nothing to be gained from discussing this any further.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
So refusing to generalize an entire country's population based on their government's actions makes me a sympathizer. Got it.

I guess we'll just leave it there. Nothing to be gained from discussing this any further.
In theory you may be right but I don't think that it applies to the specific circumstances of the country being Russia.

Agreed. Like I said, it's only my opinion. It won't be changed either. I've been dealing with this for a while now having an ukranian wife. Things she told me and what her family had to endure through generations makes it hard for me to give a feck about some russian kids kicking a ball.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Russian kids shouldn’t be punished for something out their control. Even if they won the tournament it would mean nothing to the war, nor would it give Putin any kind of meaningful propaganda win.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Russian kids shouldn’t be punished for something out their control. Even if they won the tournament it would mean nothing to the war, nor would it give Putin any kind of meaningful propaganda win.
I already gave my opinion on the matter. Pointless to address me. They should suffer the consequences of the actions of their country indirectly like ukranian kids unfortunately do.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I already gave my opinion on the matter. Pointless to address me. They should suffer the consequences of the actions of their country indirectly like ukranian kids unfortunately do.
Except, it’s not their actions. It’s the action of one man. They have nothing to do with any of this just as Ukrainian civilians don’t.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Except, it’s not their actions. It’s the action of one man. They have nothing to do with any of this just as Ukrainian civilians don’t.
It's the actions of the Russian society. They are part of it. Don't make that one man crap talk. The support is overwhelming and they don't back down. Ukranian kids can't have a normal life but we want to normalize Russian kids lives. That's why that country and society never changes.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Where do you draw the line? Should a farmer be punished by sanctions? Or a factory worker? A mcdonalds cashier? A tourist? Do any of these people have any control over government policies in russia?

Big Ben Foster

Supports
Where do you draw the line? Should a farmer be punished by sanctions? Or a factory worker? A mcdonalds cashier? A tourist? Do any of these people have any control over government policies in russia?
This is probably more for the CE forum, but there is plenty of debate throughout the political spectrum on the efficacy of sanctions and who actually gets impacted. Iran for instance has been under US sanctions for decades, and while ordinary citizens there have been hit hard, they haven't had much impact on the ruling class.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
This is probably more for the CE forum, but there is plenty of debate throughout the political spectrum on the efficacy of sanctions and who actually gets impacted. Iran for instance has been under US sanctions for decades, and while ordinary citizens there have been hit hard, they haven't had much impact on the ruling class.
For sure, some sanctions are just vindictive, Cuba probably being the best example. But in this case, we have an active war with innocents being killed daily.

Saying "oh but these kids have no power to influence government" seems like a bad reason to normalize things because it applies to way over 99% of the russian population.

And we've seen plenty of cases where teenagers have publicly shared government propaganda, with the z sign and stuff like that, so to be honest, none of us know what these players actually think about the war, maybe some of them support the invasion.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Were South African athletes banned during apartheid?