Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Tbh, that doesn't say much. We had an average 77% pass completion and Spurs, 68%. So that puts him close to our average and comfortably above Tottenham's average.
He(we) played a lot of low percentage passes in that game as we tried to break down Spurs.
well maybe you should compare him to other midfielders who have higher pass completion overall always, that'd be fair..

anyways I am pretty sure Fred will kick on, he's got the tools to start for us, probably in higher pressing team he would be used better than in Mourinho's tactics but still a great player who played too few games to be judged upon.

On the other note, he shouldn't be conisdered an upgrade on herrera, who doesn't play because he's injured just yet and niehter a starter over Pereira who performed better so far. Make it fair Jose!

Perseus

His only problem is his physique imo. He easily gets muscled off the ball and is clearly being targeted once he receives the ball. Every other thing is alright.
Keita or Fred? Similar in build and skill set

Based on performances against Brighton. I would go for Fred by a whisker on pace and defending.
In the same comparison I would go for Pogba (reportedly below par) over Milner (playing well).
All being put into shade by Wijnaldum being streets ahead of Pereira.

Pogba was the real key though.

Potentially the midfield gap does not look so big.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Do you just check the stats and scores? Because I can remember Casemiro almost breaking his leg.
He was fit by the time the 2nd game rolled around, maybe given the right situation he wouldve got a sub but nothing more than a few minutes at the world cup. Hes not a starter for Brazil, calling him a key midfielder for them is ridiculous.

That's not a knock on him, it's way too early to judge him and he needs time. But let's not say hes something he isnt.

Shiva87

That's not me thinking that. In case you somehow mistook what i said.

So with that out of the way, i don't think it's a wild thing to say. I consume a lot of football media (too much, really) and already he's been written off. He was on a list the other day of players who already look a complete waste of money. This was after 4 games...

Some journalist the other day also compared him to Keita and said that he (keita) is clearly miles ahead of Fred and he doesn't understand what United bought him for. They implied that he was a wate of money. Again, after 4 fecking games. In conjunction with a few hyperbolic comments on here, that's why i came to that conclusion. I don't agree with it, i think he's been fine, but that's the way things seem to be going at this moment in time.

Of course it's too soon to come to any conclusion. That's why i said it was ridiculous.
Makes sense. The reason the media says stuff like this is coz a lot of fans want to believe it. It's creating a narrative around the player being poor, so that in the summer they can create a narrative about how the squad needs upgrading.

As a fan base, we need to recognise that circus and ignore making conclusions based on these reports.

Fair to say that a majority of the United fans can see that he brings something different to our squad, and is a positive addition.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Bags of talent. Just needs to be honed. This is the exact player that guardiola would mould into a brilliant midfielder. Unfortunately for him he won’t be getting many chances to develop unless Matic disappears for a while

Ashley R1+O

I like him, a lot of talent and tenacity to operate between the lanes. When he settles he'll be a very important cog in our midfield. Have no idea how we're paying 50m for a player like this that feels like a raw and unharnessed punt. Seems strange.

haram

Maybe you guys should wait a while longer before judging him.

Mcking

I like him, a lot of talent and tenacity to operate between the lanes. When he settles he'll be a very important cog in our midfield. Have no idea how we're paying 50m for a player like this that feels like a raw and unharnessed punt. Seems strange.
That's his game I would bet. He is 25 afterall. I think he is just struggling with a change of team and all that.

Ashley R1+O

That's his game I would bet. He is 25 afterall. I think he is just struggling with a change of team and all that.
Yeah he seems to fit into the space nicely. Good athletically, nice enough touch and awareness. He will be an excellent facilitator. I have plenty of patience for him to settle.

Craig Ward

I'm not going to lie, I don't think he's very good. I don't think he's cut out for this league and he doesn't offer much.

I didn't see him at Shakhtar so I can only go off very limited time here as my evidence but unless something miraculous happens and he suddenly beds in he's not going to get the time to show what he can do either.
How do players bed in? With time my friend.

Way way way too early to make such bold claims against a player who hasn't featured that much.

Everyone is on freds back for misplacing passes - have you not watched us in the last 2 seasons? We are very reserved and pass backwards/sidewards and as a team are wasteful in possession.

Fred in theory is massive addition for us - he needs game times and the opportunity to find his form with us. He's no worse in possession than ANY of our current players so cut him some slack before writing him off

tonnas

Cant believe what this place was like in the beginning of vidic and evra!

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Bags of talent. Just needs to be honed. This is the exact player that guardiola would mould into a brilliant midfielder. Unfortunately for him he won’t be getting many chances to develop unless Matic disappears for a while
When all is fit he wouldn’t make their midfield.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He has a terrific engine. He will need time to settle and think Pereira is a better option at the moment.
His corners are woeful.

SoCross

His skill set is exactly what we need in our midfield; he adds in dynamism. Needs time to adjust to the pace of the league.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Likewise. Not a bad player but poor value for money.

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
I hadnt seen him play before he joined United so I'm only judging him based on his performances here.

I dont really understand how you could spend £50M on a 25yo midfielder with such limited passing and technical ability. Thing is, I still dont know what kind of player he is. He doesnt seem to have the positioning nor the instinct to play as a DM, he doesnt carry the ball, he has little creativity and passing range. He seems to have loads of energy but that's not good enough for the top level.
It's still early and he might be still settling him and eventually prove me wrong, but it's sad to see standards getting lowered every year at United.

the_irish123

I hadnt seen him play before he joined United so I'm only judging him based on his performances here.

I dont really understand how you could spend £50M on a 25yo midfielder with such limited passing and technical ability. Thing is, I still dont know what kind of player he is. He doesnt seem to have the positioning nor the instinct to play as a DM, he doesnt carry the ball, he has little creativity and passing range. He seems to have loads of energy but that's not good enough for the top level.
It's still early and he might be still settling him and eventually prove me wrong, but it's sad to see standards getting lowered every year at United.
Statistically his passing is very good and fast.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream

What? So far he has shown himself to be technically good with above average passing range and eye for a creative pass. His main problem appears to be that he hasn't adjusted to the pace of the league yet and so gets dispossessed a bit too easily.

What? So far he has shown himself to be technically good with above average passing range and eye for a creative pass. His main problem appears to be that he hasn't adjusted to the pace of the league yet and so gets dispossessed a bit too easily.
Off the pace is exactly what he is at the moment. Slightly concerning that he was also off the pace against Young Boys.

Let’s let him settle in.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Fred is not playing as a defensive midfielder.

Ekeke

So Fred makes the 5th least amount of tackles out of all of our outfield players that have started more than 2 games.

On the other side he's making the 2nd most interceptions behind Andreas Pereira in the same conditions.

I don't like having a CM in the team making less tackles than Pogba but hopefully he'll greatly improve there.

Irwin99

The way he's taken the #17 shirt so seriously...His corners are 100% Nani-esque :lol:
There was one game this season where his delivery looked really impressive but you're right, his corners were awful against YB. I thought it might have been due to the pitch (clutching at straws perhaps).

A big positive is that he can move the ball very quickly which could really be a big help, especially when he's settled a bit more.

Mcking

There was one game this season where his delivery looked really impressive but you're right, his corners were awful against YB. I thought it might have been due to the pitch (clutching at straws perhaps).

A big positive is that he can move the ball very quickly which could really be a big help, especially when he's settled a bit more.
I think it was the pitch. His corners were much better against Spurs.

OldTrevil

Feels as if he just needs to settle in his environment and his perfomances will start matching his ability.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Fred is not playing as a defensive midfielder.
Neither is Matic in our new midfield three. Fellaini is playing as an anchor man while Matic is playing just ahead of him with Pogba even further up. The only player that Fred really has a chance to replace in that specific 3 would be Matic.

haram

How can you say he is poor value for money after a couple of games? Seriously guys...

Bestietom

Fred likes to play fast open football and our game atm is not suiting him, but he will come good when we have the right balance to our team. We are still a work in progress.

Johan07

I think it was the pitch. His corners were much better against Spurs.
I would like Mourinho to take more risks at our corners, but I dont think that it will happen. And he is probably right in theory.
I dont think people should blame whomever takes the corners though.
In Mourinhos mind its not the end of the world if the corner doesnt clear the first defender. It normally means that we dont give up possession.
Of course its better if it does, but what you cant do is overhit it: Transition danger!
Its the same with crosses that Cafeites love to lambast Valencia and others about.
If one thinks its a coincidence that most of our crosses dont clear the first man you are a ltb deluded (no pun intended). Its a clear approach and not something just Mourinho applies.

Status
Not open for further replies.