Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
The problem Fred had yesterday was operating too close to De Gea's box. Push the whole team just a bit forward and he'll produce tons of goods. Of course he can make some clean tackles but since Pereira is alternative number 6, Fred should be definitely closer to Sanchez and Lukaku rather than Lindelof and Bailly.

Anyway whatever Jose will decide about his place on the pitch, he got skills to play in multiple centre roles so no bigger worries.

sherrinford

It's pre season but the signs are already there. Fred excelled in Shakhtar because they are an offensive team. Their movement is much much better than ours. Playing in such a negative way will take away Fred's best qualities. Not just based on one game because I think he's played very well for his first two games but over time there will be a limit to how well he does if we don't change our style.
We don’t generally play as negatively as we did against Bayern. The majority of games we will be the team tasked with proactively breaking down our opponents, and hopefully Fred can help us do so with greater ease and regularity than last season.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
The problem Fred had yesterday was operating too close to De Gea's box. Push the whole team just a bit forward and he'll produce tons of goods. Of course he can make some clean tackles but since Pereira is alternative number 6, Fred should be definitely closer to Sanchez and Lukaku rather than Lindelof and Bailly.

Anyway whatever Jose will decide about his place on the pitch, he got skills to play in multiple centre roles so no bigger worries.
Jose likes to be very deep and invite pressure. Dont understand why, as it makes it very hard to attack. But that's another topic, good for us to have him here

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Jose likes to be very deep and invite pressure. Dont understand why, as it makes it very hard to attack. But that's another topic, good for us to have him here
Yup, one of few good news that we signed him in this disappointing market. Many teams we'll play against gonna sit back and invite us to occasionally stab us in result or just like against Liverpool season ago, when Jose didn't play into Klopp's hand and neutralized their heavy metal football. This tactic requires absolutely flawless and organised defense and midfielders who can transfer the ball in matter of seconds on oppo's half. I believe that's where Fred will come and between Fabinho, Jorginho and Fred the last one is probably the most mobile and responsive.

If I remember correctly Jose said he'll be looking to make the team more efficient in midfield to get the best of attackers... perhaps he meant also defenders too. Like you said, we really need to unburden that pressure from De Gea from time to time.

automaticflare

need some pace up front and players looking to run in behind opposition defence otherwise any midfielder on the planet will struggle

Brightonian

Didn't watch the game itself, but he looks just as good in that video as he was against Madrid. Sometimes if the team performance is defensive and shite it's hard to pick out good individuals at the time, but that looked promising to me.

Still have a quiet confidence about this season despite the general gloom. So many of the key players are in a position to be better: Pogba, Lukaku, Sanchez and the addition of Fred.

Ban

He's constantly on the move, constantly asking for the ball and doesn't take many touches. 2 at most.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
If Herrera's injured it actually looks like that we might deploy fecking McTominay in midfield then a big task for Fred and Pereira to hit the ground running but looking forward to it anyway..

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He's constantly on the move, constantly asking for the ball and doesn't take many touches. 2 at most.
He just should not stop looking for the forward pass, which could be something Jose does not like too much

sherrinford

If Herrera's injured it actually looks like that we might deploy fecking McTominay in midfield then a big task for Fred and Pereira to hit the ground running but looking forward to it anyway..
If Herrera’s injured hopefully we play Sanchez in a no.10 role. I think that would benefit the three in the middle with the combination of Pereira-Fred-Herrera being far too flat, deep and static against Bayern. Sanchez is far more comfortable in those higher spaces and that would suit Fred (and Pereira), giving him a natural option in the hole and more bodies in advance of the ball to find in general.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
If Herrera’s injured hopefully we play Sanchez in a no.10 role. I think that would benefit the three in the middle with the combination of Pereira-Fred-Herrera being far too flat, deep and static against Bayern. Sanchez is far more comfortable in those higher spaces and that would suit Fred (and Pereira), giving him a natural option in the hole and more bodies in advance of the ball to find in general.
Think Jose will go for more steel in midfield, this is too lightweight, Sanchez is the best as close to goal as possible but he's a bt lost in the no10, think he will play form the left where he can drift in run behind and create or up top in 3-5-2

Hoof the ball

He offers something that only Pogba is able to at the moment. He can receive the ball deep, half turn without touching the ball and run out of pressure the other side of the press. Bright side point here, but, with Pogba and Fred in the same midfield we'll have far more possibility of coping with the press.

deafepl

He better become the world-class like KDB did last season otherwive our transfer window is shit.

sherrinford

Think Jose will go for more steel in midfield, this is too lightweight, Sanchez is the best as close to goal as possible but he's a bt lost in the no10, think he will play form the left where he can drift in run behind and create or up top in 3-5-2
Obviously both Fred and Pereira are little guys but I would stop short of saying they are lightweight/ lacking steel/ soft etc. - infact, early signs point to both being tenacious, industrious and disciplined. Bearing in mind that we are talking about Pogba, Matic, Fellaini and Herrera all missing, I certainly wouldn’t be looking to McTominay to add any presence/ physicality in there, though I maybe do agree that it wouldn’t surprise me too much to see Mourinho doing so. I just think having him in place of Herrera would exacerbate the problem we have with none of our midfielders adequately looking to station themselves in, drift or break into advanced areas in possession or on the break.

On the contrary, I think the no.10 role might just be Sanchez’s best. Starting on the left or right up top, all his best work involves coming into those spaces. It would give him more freedom to occupy the areas he wants to and is more dangerous in, and options all around him. Again though, it is sensible to assume Jose will employ him from the left (or as striker in a 3-5-2, if he springs a surprise) as that has been the case so far.

A Pereira-McTominay-Fred midfield, with Sanchez and Mata (give me strength) wide and Rashford up front is very lacklustre - especially once you include probably Shaw and Darmian as full backs. A fixed midfield, advanced wide men constantly coming towards the ball and deep wide men offering very timid support play - and a real danger of everything being in front of the Leicester defence. Fred may struggle to make an impact if we can’t take advantage of his ability to break lines.

Inter Yer Nan

More than likely our midfield will consist of Fred, Pereira and McTominay tomorrow. Good opportunity for him being the most senior and established player. A good confident performance out of him would be perfect for when Pogba and Matic are back.

PvsNP

He'll be in for a good game tonight. Everyone will sing his praises after the game.

dove

Had a good game. So refreshing to see someone who passes the ball in front of the player instead of behind. Was caught a few times in possession but I think he just needs some time to adjust to the pace of PL. Looks like a good signing.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He'll be massive buy for us once he settles in.

Looked good on the ball, also liked how he has some bite in him

PvsNP

Struggled a bit with the physicality, but that was expected. Good game overall.

Grew into the game nicely. He was good, just needs to get used to pace of the PL.

AR87

He's going to improve and speed up our transitions alot. Needs to clean up some of his touches and get used to the speed and physicality of the PL, but I continue to like the skills he brings to the table.

Rake

Not his best game but you can clearly see his qualities. He will be great for us once he settles in.

Ban

Great game for a debut in a PL game. Like the look of him. He reminds me of Modrić in the sense he looks small and is small but can guard the ball well and is always one step ahead of the opponent. If they want to take the ball of him he makes a quick move and he's passed them or they need to foul him.

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
Lost the ball a few times but there were lots of positive signs.
Looked like he got a bit caught out by the pace of the game as you'd expect from someone playing their first game in the Premier League. First half was particularly high paced for a first game of the season as well I thought. Looked promising for when he adjusts anyway.

the_irish123

it's not helpful that our attack lasts an average of 3 seconds. so he's either shielding the box, and when he finally gets to attacking stance team already lost the ball and he has to run back to shield the box again.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Decent performance, went the way I expected it to go for him. Needs to adapt to the speed of the PL but you can see what he brings to the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.