5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Filip#6

He won the ball many times, I much rather see him start in that midfield than Herrera.

Andersons Dietician

Got a pretty good introduction to what the Prem was going to be like in the first 5 minutes of the game, he was harassed and put on his ass twice with no foul. I think that alone will stand him in good stead because after that he had the bit between his teeth. He looked promising, was getting about and after people, managed to get a pass away in a few positions where he was surrounded. Looking forward to see what he can do the more the season goes on.

haram

Tbh, I don't think he was very good last night. First game though so will get better.

MadMike

Very erratic. Too many instances of the ball getting caught in his feet, poor touches and poor passes, but interspersed with fleeting moments of quality through quick feet and quick thinking. Gave away too many cheap fouls as well.
I don't disagree with the criticism, it just has to be put in context a bit with this being his first match in the EPL and for United. Also the first time he and Pogba were on the pitch together for a match. He's bound to be fairly nervous in his introduction.

His aggression, positivity, directness and energy will serve him well in this league and actually served him well in this game too. His range of passing also seems very good, he can play them quick and short or he can ping them. As Pogba grew into the game in the 2nd half, so did he.

Like you said he needs to cut some of the sloppiness and clumsiness out of his game and remains to be seen to what extent he can do that. If he does it, we'll have some midfielder in our hands.

IAmAWinner

I love how energetic he was, signs are good. Was really sloppy though at times, but he is still settling into the fast pace style of Premier League.
All in all a decent debut.

simplyared

He's playing far too deep. Against a mid table team like Leicester he should have been getting forward a lot more.

We've already got players in the squad who can do what he did last night!

ZlatMan

I'm already loving him. Fred was full of energy and drive something we lacked in midfield for a long time and not afraid to get stuck in. Some of his passes are great. Once he get full up to speed, he'll be a top player

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Sloppiness is down to nerves and being new to the EPL..

sherrinford

I don't disagree with the criticism, it just has to be put in context a bit with this being his first match in the EPL and for United. Also the first time he and Pogba were on the pitch together for a match. He's bound to be fairly nervous in his introduction.

His aggression, positivity, directness and energy will serve him well in this league and actually served him well in this game too. His range of passing also seems very good, he can play them quick and short or he can ping them. As Pogba grew into the game in the 2nd half, so did he.

Like you said he needs to cut some of the sloppiness and clumsiness out of his game and remains to be seen to what extent he can do that. If he does it, we'll have some midfielder in our hands.
I did state just that - it was his first competitive game and I think he’ll adapt to the pace of the league well. I just think the poor touches were also evident in the pre-season games - certainly to a lesser extent though, and it’s not like we were playing pub teams - so it remains to be seen just how much of that he can cut out in getting up to full match sharpness.

Bestietom

Seen some very good signs that he will fit in well for us. Energy, tackling, and first touch. It was his first game and played a bit more defensive than usual, which will be solved when Matic comes back. I would like to see him press more forward, but this will come when we have a full team, and he plays more games.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Mixed bag. But the good kind of mixed bag in that in the better moments he was very good and the talent was obvious to see whereas the bad moments had more to do with recklessness, carelessness and over exuberance.

Devil81

I would have liked him eased into the team a little slower, I fully expect Herrera in the team if he's fit next weekend with Fred being eased in a little slower.

The pace of English football is very intense to be thrown straight in.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Mixed bag last night but I really like him, natural footballer with good tenacity.

Weirdly enough the stats on whoscored say he's had the highest pass completion in the team after Eric Bailly (92% for Fred, 96% Bailly, 91% Perreira), seemed to look like he lost the ball a bit more.

Apparently landed in LA on July 26th to join the team, meaning the times he clicked nicely with the teammates are pretty natural considering the short amount of training he's had with the rest of the team. Him and Pogba managed to find each other in a marvelous way at times.

Very erratic. Too many instances of the ball getting caught in his feet, poor touches and poor passes, but interspersed with fleeting moments of quality through quick feet and quick thinking. Gave away too many cheap fouls as well.

Not too dissimilar to the pre-season games, but more unsettled and unreliable. Was definitely the weakest of the midfield three and can’t say he had a good game, unfortunately. First game though, everyone seems confident he will grow into it and do well.
The poor parts of his game were entirely down to being a little slow with his reactions, which is understandable considering the league he was in. He will sharpen up with a few games of experience.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Loved how he wound up that little gobshite Maddison, a great sign. :D

-Supreme-

I would have liked him eased into the team a little slower, I fully expect Herrera in the team if he's fit next weekend with Fred being eased in a little slower.

The pace of English football is very intense to be thrown straight in.
We won't see much of Herrera this season if Pereira maintains his form.

I'd even put Fellaini ahead of him right now.

izec

Dont think he was great. A lot of energy, but he lost the ball too many times and not by trying risky passes, but more by sleeping on the ball and getting surprised by the press. A lot of room for improvement. I think he will need time and a year to get used to the league and country

Witchking

He was good. Starting his first game with just a week or more of training. Has some good skills.

If he settles in faster it would be great.

He seemed to have a mean steak in him and lashed out a couple of times. I hope he can control his temper.

Looks to be a very good addition to the team.

Judas

Open to offers
When I think how awful some of our past greats have looked on their debuts, I think Fred's performance was very very promising. Loved his hunger and the fact he was a bit crazy. Think he'll be very important to us this season.

shield

Just from a performance perspective, he looked quite out of sorts when the match started but started playing OK as the game went on. Nothing really special. It will take him about a month or two to adjust to this pace. I have a feeling he will improve and do well.

KranjskaKlobasa

He needs to stop with the theatrics as he looked like one of them Barcelona boys - falling, bickering, gesturing etc. Otherwise he had decent debut - some nice passes and ball retrievals.

Adam-Utd

He got caught out by the pace of the closing down in the first half, lost the ball a few times taking too long and a couple of touches got lost under his body.

Saying that though he rose into the match and did really well helping the defence and solidfying the attack.

His quick feet and 1 touch passing will fit in well with our other midfielders / attackers.

I like the fact he's got some aggression about him too, you've got to have some bite in this league.

Some great little passes especially the switching of play, better than Herrera's.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
A bit sloppy at times when he thought he had more time than what he did but I enjoyed watching him play, not bad for a Premier League debut at all.

Kaizane

Would be very difficult for anyone after playing slow football in the Ukrainian league for the past 5 years but it is obvious this guy is gonna bring a lot to the team. He's quick, full of beans and has a bite, exactly what we need and that's just his off the ball qualities; but the boy can play, also. I thought a lot of times last year we were just too nice and got the impression a lot of teams came away not knowing they'd just been in a game against United. This guy looks like he's capable of grabbing games by the scruff and get things going and in turn will hopefully have a knock-on effect on the team, which could prove more valuable than actually scoring. It would be wrong to judge this boy on the amount of goals and assists he gets, it would more apt to judge him on how many more goals and assists he gets out of everyone else around him. Yes, he didn't have the best debut but he will come good in a few weeks once adjusted to the PL - great signing by Jose (or our mystery Director of Football?).

Reactions: KM

Charles Miller

I did not watch Ukranian league but something i've noticed in some games of Shakhtar in the Champions League is that, for some reason he tends to be erratic in the first 15, 20 minutes of the games.

I remember a game that Shakhtar defeated Man City that in the first 25 minutes i think Fred couldn't complete three passes. Then in the rest of the game he looked like another player. Have no idea why.

Stadjer

I thought he was pretty good... energy and good agression. Same nice passes and quick feet. His debut wasnt perfect but you cant really expect that anyway.

He is a bit like Herrera but better.. i think he is going to turn out as a great signing. Pogba, Fred and Matic has the potential to be a really good midfield.

Nick7

I was impressed by Fred but don’t understand the tackles stat. He gave away a few fouls, surely they would translate as failed tackles?

Yes, I’m being a pedantic git.
I don't really know either, but were those fouls actual tackles? I didn't see the match but players can give away fouls without it being an actual tackle with the legs.

TheReligion

Abusive
Surprised to see the praise here, I didn't think he had a good game but it was understandable. He's a player who will have to adjust to the pace and physicality of the league but thankfully, it looks like he has the talent and quality. I liked his work rate, his willingness to get involved in play, his aggression, and I think over time, he could become a key player for us.
I'm surprised you didn't see him as having a good game tbh

Classical Mechanic

I did not watch Ukranian league but something i've noticed in some games of Shakhtar in the Champions League is that, for some reason he tends to be erratic in the first 15, 20 minutes of the games.
The game is often highly frenetic in the first 20, especially with the modern pressing tactics. After that the players have a bit more time on the ball.

afrocentricity

Compared to Evra and Vidic's debuts this was a showcase :lol:

He was decent I'm excited at the possibilities.

Dante

Average bang
I was very impressed by his passing range.

In fact, the passing range of al three midfielders was excellent.

It's rare to find a midfield trio who can all ping it long or short, and dribble out of trouble if they need to.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover

It's rare to find a midfield trio who can all ping it long or short, and dribble out of trouble if they need to.
Played more forward passes in one match than Herrera does in half a season. Need to stop dwelling on the ball, and also those fecking pirouettes won't work time and time again in the PL.

afrocentricity

That's what I was thinking, I almost started drooling at the thought of having a midfield 3 that could all pick a pass under pressure, and keep hold of the ball when needed.

RedorDead21

There is something in his style, his two footed ability and tenacity that reminds me of a lesser Edgar Davids. So comfortable on either foot I thought he was very very good for a first appearance.

Chicharito_

Enjoying the optimism on here and believe he is going to be a great player for us but that was a poor debut. He was struggling to adapt to the pace of the PL, was caught in possession a couple of times just dallying on the ball. I was never as confident when he got the ball in a tight space compared to Pogba and Perreira who were great at beating the first press. His passing % was high but did he ever really play a key pass, so many sideways passes in there and also misplaced a couple of simple ones.

I've watched a lot of Fred over the past 2 years and hope he quickly adapts to the PL because there is a great player there but he has often shown this in slow paced games so hope he can step up. I hope he can drive with the ball a bit more as his confidence grows, he is a great dribbler and skilful so I think in those high intensity games against City/Liverpool etc he can beat the first man in the press by going past them and then the game will open up for us.

Loves his commitment and passion though, that will never be questioned with Fred.

Kaizane

Enjoying the optimism on here and believe he is going to be a great player for us but that was a poor debut. He was struggling to adapt to the pace of the PL, was caught in possession a couple of times just dallying on the ball. I was never as confident when he got the ball in a tight space compared to Pogba and Perreira who were great at beating the first press. His passing % was high but did he ever really play a key pass, so many sideways passes in there and also misplaced a couple of simple ones.

I've watched a lot of Fred over the past 2 years and hope he quickly adapts to the PL because there is a great player there but he has often shown this in slow paced games so hope he can step up. I hope he can drive with the ball a bit more as his confidence grows, he is a great dribbler and skilful so I think in those high intensity games against City/Liverpool etc he can beat the first man in the press by going past them and then the game will open up for us.

Loves his commitment and passion though, that will never be questioned with Fred.
Agree mostly and confident he'll grow into the league. He brings an infectious energy to the team, something we've not had since the likes of Tevez and something of which we were crying out for last year. His urgency may prove useful when we're chasing a game and the speed of the PL may actually work in his favour eventually, he doesn't look the like the type of midfielder to control a game like Paul Scholes would but something more akin to a Marco Veratti.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
Mad how people think he was sloppy. Seems to be the recency effect of memory whereby one of his last contributions was a ‘sloppy’ pass out of play. Therefore his performance was sloppy. Bit like how a striker can have a decent performance but miss a big chance late on so he was ‘wasteful’.

He had 92% passing success despite not picking easy passes and actually trying to transition play positively. That’s not sloppy.

I think he was dispossessed a couple of times which may cloud some judgement too, but it’s also par for the course in the rough and tumble of the PL and something we see countless times with Pogba for instance.

There was one clearly sloppy performance on Friday and it belonged to Sanchez.

Fracture90

So far so good, should be great addition to our MF when him and Pogba develop even better understanding between each other.

Just he gotta cool his head down a bit, that kick on the ground he made could have earned him a suspension.

the_irish123

He was hitting almost all his forward passes and most of them had a decent degree of difficulty, like a through ball for Sanchez to score and other direct forward passes with a very above average success rate. I think the 'sloppy' part came in some first touches or being beat by pressure in one instance or two (although I think some were fouls), he will get used to this as Shakhtar was probably playing much lower blocks all the time but once when adapts to thinking a bit faster it will be even easier than ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.