5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ErranMorad

He has shown glimpses of quality. It'll take time for him to adjust to the pace and strength of the PL games. It's a big jump coming from the Ukrainian league to this one.

One thing I have noticed that he'll need to improve on massively is the weight of his paces. Currently he is hitting the Anderson bullets, which aren't easy for the receiver to control. Needs to control the pace of his between the line passes.

Johan07

He has stood up to be counted. Thats the most important thing so far. He wants the ball and has been brave. Its a ltb sad to see people tearing into him already though. I posted a few times in this thread earlier trying to prevent just this. Its a big, big leap he has been expected to take this season.

He will need this season to adapt. He will not be the answer to our midfield issue (if there is one other than tactically) this year. Doesnt mean he cannot be a real asset for the future. There was just too many people on here thinking that he was a ready made piece of the puzzle. He is not.

Dont think he will start against Spurs. Think we will go old boys for that one, especially after yday.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Am I the only one who thought he played quite well in the second half?

His passing and movement looks a level above Hererra already. Where he falls short is coping with the pace and intensity of the game. Which is very common for new players adapting to the PL.

Obviously sucks balls watching the likes of Jorginho (who looks exactly like the player we’ve been missing since Scholes/Carrick declined) and Keita take to it like ducks to water but c’est la vie.

Johan07

His passing and movement looks a level above Hererra already. Where he falls short is coping with the pace and intensity of the game. Which is very common for new players adapting to the PL.

Obviously sucks balls watching the likes of Jorginho (who looks exactly like the player we’ve been missing since Scholes/Carrick declined) and Keita take to it like ducks to water but c’est la vie.
If we really wanted to change our style of play Jorginho was the one to get. But I guess that would have meant getting a new manager first, so it was never going to happen. Sadly. That said he of course has to prove himself over an entire season in the PL. Keita even more so.

shield

Don't know how he will eventually turn out to be but that performance was really bad. Hard to say what he is good at. We looked a much better team when Fellaini came in, so, sadly, I don't think he will even displace Fellaini.

Acole9

Outstanding
He's very rash at times, needs to calm down otherwise he could seriously injure an opposition player and get a lot of suspensions.

El Zoido

They’ve come in to already established teams. We’re a mess, nobody can play well in this team when we’re as disjointed as we were yesterday. Fred would probably look incredible in this City side. It’s a team problem, I’m finding it really hard to single out individual players for criticism.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Great passer but has struggled with the pace of the game here too from what I have seen.
Really? This pleases me.

I only watched him in the Arsenal game, where he might as well have been wearing a pipe and slippers he was making football looks so easy.

Although that arguably describes most CMs up against Arsenal’s powderpuff midfield.

Classical Mechanic

Really? This pleases me.

I only watched him in the Arsenal game, where he might as well have been wearing a pipe and slippers he was making football looks so easy.

Although that arguably describes most CMs up against Arsenal’s powderpuff midfield.
Arsenal were going through Chelsea after the first 25 minutes with ease, he was getting completely bypassed. Chelsea fans on here were claiming it was because of the formation so who knows.

Arsenal should have won the game with the amount of big chances the squandered.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Arsenal were going through Chelsea after the first 25 minutes with ease, he was getting completely bypassed. Chelsea fans on here were claiming it was because of the formation so who knows.

Hmm. That’s not really how I saw it. Chelsea’s defending on the flanks was pretty dire, which I put down to teething problems adjusting to playing with just two CBs. I thought they bossed midfield from start to finish. Which 62% posession for the home team seems to support.

MadMike

Hmm. That’s not really how I saw it. Chelsea’s defending on the flanks was pretty dire, which I put down to teething problems adjusting to playing with just two CBs. I thought they bossed midfield from start to finish. Which 62% posession for the home team seems to support.
Having 62% possession and the other team being able to cut through your midfield are not mutually exclusive things. I'd go as far as saying the have no correlation whatsoever, since one has to do with the team's ability to retain possession and win the ball early while the other has to do with the midfield tracking runners and protecting the defence. Quite often a high press results in your midfield being unpicked with 2-3 quick passes. No point having 62% possession if your midfield gets bypassed in 5-6 seconds and the ball is in the back of the net.

Kante under Sarri pushes up real high up the pitch these days, playing like a box-to-box CM. And so does Barkley. That leaves Jorginho quite isolated and can often be played though, if the press is unpicked. When Kovacic came on the midfield got a bit more balance and Chelsea finished strongly. But they were certainly not in control in the first 30 mins, including the midfield.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea

Jorginho has been great in both of our opening games. Arse weren't getting their joy through the middle, but rather on the flanks. They were repeatedly overloading one of the flanks and causing our fullbacks loads of trouble.

It was actually Barkley rather than Jorginho that struggled defensively. Totally bossed the game when Kovacic replaced him.

starman

Hes another that looks like he will take time to settle. Do find it baffling though why we dont look at players within the league, and picked up someone like Doucoure who is already well adjusted and a top performer

haram

Hes another that looks like he will take time to settle. Do find it baffling though why we dont look at players within the league, and picked up someone like Doucoure who is already well adjusted and a top performer
Maybe Fred is better.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

Passing was very good, but he sucked donkey balls in every other aspect of being a midfielder. Gave the ball away, didn't tackle, didn't win any aerial duels, didn't block shots, fouled a lot. In combination with Pogba it means we have two players who aren't good at the defensive side of playing in midfield which puts a lot of pressure on our DM.

haram

The same way Lindelof is better then Maguire?

And your missing the point, yes Fred may turn out to be better, but there are players in the league that could slot in straight away
Dont see what Lindelof has to do with anything. We shouldn't settle for someone just because they have played in this league before.

starman

Dont see what Lindelof has to do with anything. We shouldn't settle for someone just because they have played in this league before.
Who said anything about settling?, its identifying players of similar ability that are less risky spending huge amounts on, are accustomed to the league and will integrate straight away

haram

Who said anything about settling?, its identifying players of similar ability that are less risky spending huge amounts on, are accustomed to the league and will integrate straight away
The point is, maybe they are not actually of similiar ability.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I like him, despite his performance yesterday. That said - he's always going to be an addition to the squad, rather than a defining feature of it. In other words, fans will love him when the team is doing well and turn when they aren't.

starman

The point is, maybe they are not actually of similiar ability.
Have you watched both play regularly?

Seem like your just guessing, saw exactly the same thing with Lindelof, singing his praises and had only seen youtube videos.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Jorginho has been great in both of our opening games. Arse weren't getting their joy through the middle, but rather on the flanks. They were repeatedly overloading one of the flanks and causing our fullbacks loads of trouble
You were then completely exposed centrally on the cut backs because not a single one of your midfielders were ever picking up anyone.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
It's a cliche, but he definitely needs to bulk up. I was surprised Leicester didn't start Iborra, as it looks likely it will be his biggest weakness, because he just couldn't protect the ball properly. Seems similar to Evra in his start, obvious physical deficiencies for this league, but the talent is there. The fact he can break the lines with some of his passes is massive for us. He may get more protection when Matic is back.

haram

Have you watched both play regularly?

Seem like your just guessing, saw exactly the same thing with Lindelof, singing his praises and had only seen youtube videos.
I think you are missing the point. This is not about my opinion, I am saying that the club would probably feel that Fred is the better player.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner

Have to agree. Rewatched it and he definetly player a lot better. Looked to pass it forward and with zip.

Got a few into the forwards in behind the midfield who miss controlled or did little with it. As mentioned in other threads our forward movement to offer up options is terrible.

Touch video below

MadMike

He seems a little clumsy on the ball for a short guy. It's a little bit worrying. Hes also showing good passing range, energy and aggression though. Would be interesting to see how he progresses.

Bob H from Manchester

Have to agree. Rewatched it and he definetly player a lot better. Looked to pass it forward and with zip.

Got a few into the forwards in behind the midfield who miss controlled or did little with it. As mentioned in other threads our forward movement to offer up options is terrible.

Touch video below
Haha, at about 8:12 where he went in with a big kick to sky the ball but he missed it and fell on his arse - a great piece of clownery!
He did ping some good long passes about, so I think he may have it in his locker to come good, but he'll get no praise from me for now because he's well below our standard as yet. Got to remember that we were playing against Brighton and we need to demolish much better sides if we're to get top 4 this season.

Last edited by a moderator:

KennyBurner

Its so funny that people can't actually realize that. Fred would be Fantastic under any attacking manager. He plays so many balls between the lines. If we had more players positioned further up the field the Cafe would definitely realize what a gem he is. Not only are his passing and movement superior to herrera but he is also more composed and agile.

The only problem he has is he needs some adjusting to the pace of the league. Too many times has he been caught on the ball. With time he will fix that and then maybe start to appreciate how important he is to the team.

Inter Yer Nan

He's a little sloppy and perhaps too eager currently but he's the type of midfielder we need. Positive, looking to make things happen, tenacious. I think he'll be fine he's just needing to settle in and that's hard when the team is struggling.

Kaj45rpm

Doesn't look like a game changer but the jury are still deliberating.
Hope we kept the receipt for him and we might get a full refund.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It was only his second game, let’s not jump to any conclusions based on this. He played in a midfield that didn’t work at all too and it was their second game together, none of them had ever played with each other before.

I bet he will be a good player for us and won’t be surprised if he’s our best midfielder this season overall.

C3Pique

He has shown glimpses of quality. It'll take time for him to adjust to the pace and strength of the PL games. It's a big jump coming from the Ukrainian league to this one.

One thing I have noticed that he'll need to improve on massively is the weight of his paces. Currently he is hitting the Anderson bullets, which aren't easy for the receiver to control. Needs to control the pace of his between the line passes.
Good players hit passes hard because they know that their teammates have good touch. He threaded a ball through to Pogba in the first half that came back so fast it might have well hit a trampoline Pogba's touch was so bad.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He’s got the right attitude. The right energy, the right desire. What he doesn’t have now is the grasp of timing in the premier league. Almost everything he wanted to do looked a second off and that will iron out with time. He will be a solid solid player for us.

Canagel

He needs to stay in the team. We shouldn't panic and drop him to hurt his confidence further. Stick with him and build the confidence. He won't acclimatise to the pace of the the PL by sitting on the bench.
Also the lack of movement by our attackers will make any midfielder look poor. Even Modric would struggle in this team.

the_irish123

He’s used to playing in a midfield two, with Stepanenko anchoring the defense. It is not easy to play in a midfield 3 where all 3 players have very similar characteristics. Hell, its even tougher for Pereira. When we were desperate for results and switched to Fred-Pogba at least geometrically it made more sense for him and he played better.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Agree with the above. Almost blameless for yesterday, a few loose passes aside.

The biggest problems were on our flanks and poor performances from both centre backs.

Devil81

Needs to just calm down and adapt to the speed of the game, he reminds me of that first Evra game at City.

Just let the lad sit the next game out and gradually bring him in.

Status
Not open for further replies.