Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kag

based on what?

he's been here 2 fricking games
Based on me thinking Herrera is a good player and clearly better than Fred given what I've seen so far. Two games or not, that's my first impression and I'll be sticking to it until I see something that changes my mind.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Based on me thinking Herrera is a good player and clearly better than Fred given what I've seen so far. Two games or not, that's my first impression and I'll be sticking to it until I see something that changes my mind.
Herrera was awful last season

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I know they play in different roles, and in very different systems, but seeing Keita slot in and perform for Liverpool immediately is so annoying. No one hits the ground running for us anymore. I know it's largely down to our system but that doesn't account for poor technique and decisions.

forevrared

I know they play in different roles, and in very different systems, but seeing Keita slot in and perform for Liverpool immediately is so annoying. No one hits the ground running for us anymore. I know it's largely down to our system but that doesn't account for poor technique and decisions.
Christ, he's played ONE feckING GAME for Liverpool in a match they dominated. What's the point of even making a comparison this soon?

Still needs to come up to the pace of the game and stop holding it too long and losing it too easily. It doesn't help that we have absolutely miles of space between the midfield and attack.

deafepl

Remember Herrera was freaking amazing, look like world class player in his first pre-season for us? That's why you don't rule out player over one games.

gza the genius

I like him and all but I can't really believe he was our only first team signing this summer. I can't see him being any sort of significant improvement on Herrera and Pereira has been just as, if not more, impressive so far. I guess this is more a gripe at our summer priorities than Fred himself but I still just really don't understand.

buckooo1978

so by that rationale Glen Murray is a much better striker than Lukaku and Pogba wishes he was as talented as Anthony Knockaert

makes sense

redNATION

He'd look perfectly fine in liverpool's high pressing, high intensity system. Wouldnt look out of place at City or Spurs (the former were even trying to sign him, and claimed he picked money over Pep to sign for us). Somehow we have a knack of making good or even great players look shite. He has all the attributes of a EPL midfielder, much like Kante, but he can hardly be judged when the established players arent even performing.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Fred did the same against Leicester. Making a comparison between a player who's played once and a player who's played twice is daft at best.
I'm comparing the games we've seen. Including preseason. The feck else are you supposed to compare?

Godfather

Hooked after 45 mins on his debut against Sunderland. Saha scored from a corner IIRC. Nani was the one who impressed more in the early games.
Both had good first season iirc. Fred looked lost against relegation fodder today. Not that anyone else was any better tbh.

Skills

Snitch
Didn't follow the transfer, so the only time I've seen him is the PL games. He's not really what I was expecting to be honest.

Ludens the Red

When you get a new player, it's usually easy to pick out what their attributes are in the first few games, you can usually pin point things and go "Ok I see why we signed him". Even if the player hasn't necessarily gotten up to pace or settled.
With Fred I am genuinely completely fecking baffled as to what it is that made us pay 60 million for him. Do we do any research or proper scouting when we sign these players? First Lindelof, now Fred, seriously I'm struggling to understand who is watching these players, identifying what it is they're meant to be good at and deciding that we'll pay X amount for them.
I mean I never watched Ukranian League so my Fred background knowledge is non existent but I don't think I've ever seen a United player start his career with two performances where I literally cannot point towards a single thing he's meant to be good at. So far he doesn't seem to be able to pass or tackle or shoot or do skills or run around a lot. In fact the only thing he seems to be good at is kicking out at people and trying to get himself sent off. We already have Marouane Fellaini who does this but we also know he's good at headers, elbows and being a nuisance......

Janson

We're a poorly coached side so it's unfair to judge him as he's essentially been thrown into the side and told to work it out himself.

We still haven't gotten the best out of Pogba for the same reason. We won't see the bets out of either until a better manager come in.
So we shouldn't judge anyone because we're poorly coached? And you must be itk, getting some info from the inside somehow, since you know he's been told to work it out for himself.

IRELANDUNITED

I thought he was okay today, not great but he seemed to try his best at least. He looks to have a nasty edge to him which we are lacking

MadMike

Very bad first half, him and Pereira kept occupying the same place. He was better in the second half with Pogba in a two-man midfield but that was partly because Brighton dropped off a bit and gave space due to their goal advantage.

Woodenlung

So we shouldn't judge anyone because we're poorly coached? And you must be itk, getting some info from the inside somehow, since you know he's been told to work it out for himself.
When we appointed Mourinho there were plenty of articles written about how he doesn't set up his players to attack and rathers they work it out themselves. This is just a continuation of that. You just have to look at Pogba.

Eddy_JukeZ

Didn't follow the transfer, so the only time I've seen him is the PL games. He's not really what I was expecting to be honest.
I would agree to this as well.

Though I can't truly pinpoint exactly what I was expecting :lol:

He's going to have a harsh learning curve this season in England,more so if United continue to have a air of uncertainty behind the scenes.

the_irish123

In 2nd half he found the player between the lines many times with a frontal pass. In any big team that = a scoring chance. For us, its a player mishandling the ball and it bouncing back.

Robbie Boy

I don’t know if he’s a good player or not as I won’t pretend - like some on here - that I was an avid Shakhtar watcher. What I will say is, I think he was pretty good against Leicester but poor today, however it’s hard to judge a new signing in this shit show of a team / system, so I’ll reserve judgement.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
0 tackles won, 1 intercept, lost possession 6 times, 3 fouls, 0 aerial duels, 0 key passes, 1 shot (off target). Only positive was his 92% pass accuracy.

Not good.

NinjaFletch

The other worrying thing about him is his capacity to do absolutely braindead shit at the drop of a hat.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt last week, when he hacked down Gray because he was trying to kick the ball from the floor despite being miles away from it, and I still think yesterday's on Murray was stupidly clumsy rather than malicious, but it's going to get him sent off sooner or later.

Herrera is a significantly better midfielder. But not so shiny.
What Fred does very well and Herrera cannot do at all is make accurate passes between the lines. Carrick used to be great at it and in a half settled team that will cut oppositions open.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
In the small window we've seen of him in the Premier League, he reminds me of Emre Can. When he was at Liverpool, I often thought that he had spells of being Liverpool's best and worst player, all in the same game. So far, that correlates to Fred.

Fred does some things really well, he is capable of shifting the ball out of his feet quickly with pace on the ball and with accuracy, good switches and forward passes again with great weight behind it. Then at times he makes mental decisions and looks to be running around in a rather headless fashion, where he's making up for not knowing what to do with legwork and chasing. He goes from looking composed to panicked at the click of a finger. He's new to the league and the pace of the game here, so he'll get the benefit of the doubt for a while, but he needs to sharpen up. He looked better in the first game as Pereira played very well, where as Pereira had a bit of stinker yesterday. Perhaps a more composed Matic as a #6 behind Pogba and Fred will give us more balance, especially in tough away games. When your holding midfielder is panicked, that makes the whole midfield rather shaky. I'm not making excuses for Fred, he's got to do better, but I think he'll benefit from Matic being behind him, and the defence will too.

That air kick right on the touchline was hilarious. It looked absolutely wild, but in the end he was probably closer to kicking himself in the head than anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.