Garnacho: What is his potential?

joker00

He is a proper player for now, with the right coach he can evolve to a star in two or three years from now but we need to keep him away from the pressure that destroyed many players before him.
With his late goal, I remebered Macheda's goal against Aston villa and I think it was his last contribution ever with us, I hope those mistake wouldn't be repeated.

croadyman

Potential is huge,however it's up to Erik to look after him and keep his feet firmly on ground much like Moyes & Fergie did with Rooney

croadyman

He is a proper player for now, with the right coach he can evolve to a star in two or three years from now but we need to keep him away from the pressure that destroyed many players before him.
With his late goal, I remebered Macheda's goal against Aston villa and I think it was his last contribution ever with us, I hope those mistake wouldn't be repeated.
Scored winner the week after against Sunderland,however don't remember anything again until goal against Chelsea in 2010

norm87cro

I dont think anybody can make that prediction at this point. We have been here before with Januzaj, Macheda, Welbeck and even Rashford.
You just cant tell and there is no need for additional pressure on the lad.
Having said that its nice to se somebody run at players doing one twos and having confidence in general. Im happy for him and he gave us 2 additional point before the WC.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
We might just have the best teenager in the World in our hands, after recently producing a World class teenager in Greenwood. What other club can currently claim that?
I didn't want to go more off topic in the Ronaldo thread, but out of interest how do you think Garnacho's potential compares to what Greenwood had? I know there are a few physical and stylistic differences. Or is it too early to get a read of Garnacho yet other than his exciting attributes?

Guapa

Let's not get carried away just yet.A great prospect for sure but early days people.Product,work rate,carry out mangers instructions without question,attitude,off field activities,etc.If he progresses over the next three years then I'll buy in.

Grande

I dont think anybody can make that prediction at this point. We have been here before with Januzaj, Macheda, Welbeck and even Rashford.
You just cant tell and there is no need for additional pressure on the lad.
Having said that its nice to se somebody run at players doing one twos and having confidence in general. Im happy for him and he gave us 2 additional point before the WC.
Certainly I agree about the predictions. I see as much in him as I did in Januzaj, Welbeck and Rashford at the same age. Macheda had nothing like that.

If he gives us what Welbeck gave us, he will be cheap and useful, if he reaches Rashford, it’s a great success. He reminds me of Giggs in his intensity, but we can’t really expect every promising youngster to become a football legend, that would be kinda crazy, no?

He’s already a great joy to watch though!

Yakuza_devils

The goal vs Fulham was a very good goal especially at 93 mins. But let's not get carried away. There was confusion amongst Fulham defenders. There were 3 defenders around the vicinity but none committed to go for the ball. They thought the other defender will go for it. Hence, Garnacho was able to sprint passed them and scored the goal.

He is still very young and there are lots of room for improvement. As many had said, he could be a Ronaldo or a Januzaj or even Dan James. Promising, sure but let's give him time to grow hopefully to be a world class player for us.

NoPace

Probably to be like a Diaz/Chiesa level player. An excellent starter for any team in the world but not a top 5-10 attacker in the world.

I didn't want to go more off topic in the Ronaldo thread, but out of interest how do you think Garnacho's potential compares to what Greenwood had? I know there are a few physical and stylistic differences. Or is it too early to get a read of Garnacho yet other than his exciting attributes?
It’s just a little too early to say really, because we had some serious game time to see Greenwood and feck me, what a player he would’ve turned out as. Absolutely effortless finisher but already incredibly mature (on a football pitch). I’m convinced he’s have been one of the best goalscorers of his generation.

Garnacho though this far in looks absolutely scintillating, the big difference being that Garnacho scares the shit out of teams in a way Greenwood couldn’t. He gets fans on the edge of their seat, and makes opposition defenders drop 5-10 yards.
I’m less certain what that will mean in the long run, but I’ve only ever seen a couple of players have that kind of impact so young and they went on to be incredibly special; but he’s a new commodity, let’s see how he handles it as he gets more minutes and oppositions get wise to him.

The goal vs Fulham was a very good goal especially at 93 mins. But let's not get carried away. There was confusion amongst Fulham defenders. There were 3 defenders around the vicinity but none committed to go for the ball. They thought the other defender will go for it. Hence, Garnacho was able to sprint passed them and scored the goal.

He is still very young and there are lots of room for improvement. As many had said, he could be a Ronaldo or a Januzaj or even Dan James. Promising, sure but let's give him time to grow hopefully to be a world class player for us.
He’s got infinitly more ability than James, kin ell man.

You’ve also already completely miss-remembered the goal. Only 2 defenders had any chance of getting there, the right back and the centre half. The centre half absolutely commits instantly the second Eriksen makes the pass and is going full pelt, the RB is in a one on one foot race with Garnacho.
Bizarre you remember it as him sneaking in whilst 3 defenders were sleeping, that wasn’t remotely the case. You could argue the RB has tired legs mind, which may or may not have been the case.

1:2
Garnacho

Last edited:

Bertie Wooster

I've been very impressed with Garnacho in the last 18 months.

I didn't see enough of him when he first joined the academy as he got injured. But last year he was very good with the U18's - regularly doing what he produced in the last two first team games.

I had high hopes for him, but he's ahead of schedule as I didn't expect him to already be getting opportunities and producing such performances with the first team so soon.

He's got a lot of potential with his pace, technique, trickery, driving runs and self belief (leading to a willingness to be direct and take players on). And links up well in attacks as well as being able to go it alone and contribute solo goals.

Obviously, at his age, he's still got to hone all that talent and potential into becoming a consistent performer. But that applies to every young player and so at this stage what's important is that his potential ceiling is much higher than most.

If he works hard, shows application and desire to improve and fulfil his potential, then he's definitely got the ability and potential to become a very good player. And then it's about keeping up that application and desire in order to stay at the top.

Absolutely no guarantees all that will happen. But, at this stage, just very exciting to have produced another player with that level of potential.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
It’s just a little too early to say really, because we had some serious game time to see Greenwood and feck me, what a player he would’ve turned out as. Absolutely effortless finisher but already incredibly mature (on a football pitch). I’m convinced he’s have been one of the best goalscorers of his generation.

Garnacho though this far in looks absolutely scintillating, the big difference being that Garnacho scares the shit out of teams in a way Greenwood couldn’t. He gets fans on the edge of their seat, and makes opposition defenders drop 5-10 yards.
I’m less certain what that will mean in the long run, but I’ve only ever seen a couple of players have that kind of impact so young and they went on to be incredibly special; but he’s a new commodity, let’s see how he handles it as he gets more minutes and oppositions get wise to him.
I think this is a good summary. It seems to me people in this thread overrate Greenwood abit. He never showed the same talent at seniorlevel that he did for the youth team. In fact, I do think Garnacho looks more well rounded.

At seniorlevel, Greenwood had one thing going for him and that was world class finishing. The lack of development in his allround game was a bit of a worry.

Stacks

Certainly I agree about the predictions. I see as much in him as I did in Januzaj, Welbeck and Rashford at the same age. Macheda had nothing like that.

If he gives us what Welbeck gave us, he will be cheap and useful, if he reaches Rashford, it’s a great success. He reminds me of Giggs in his intensity, but we can’t really expect every promising youngster to become a football legend, that would be kinda crazy, no?

He’s already a great joy to watch though!
I agree with this too.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Easily our second best forward this season. It's so typical the only one better than him plays the same position.

Krky72

Supports
Glasgow Rangers
It’s hard to tell with young players in terms of how far they can go, but this young lad is exciting every time he touches the ball. He makes you think something special is about to happen and I think it’s a rare trait for a player to have.

MyBloodIsRed

once he polishes things up more and grows, man the kid is going to be a menace on the wing! Love it!

Wheato

He's always available in space, with chalk on his boots, and offers the midfield and full-backs an out ball. Skillfully receives the ball at pace and drives into the box. They had to double up on him tonight to hold him off. If we had a conventional center forward, they would have loads of space to run into, because Garnacho drags them out of position. That attempt when he cut inside was heading for the top corner.

Still a bit rough around the edges, but he's going to be a star.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I'm more impressed with this guy than Antony (not a jibe at Antony but just so chuffed to see an academy graduate doing well and better than our 100m signing

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I think this is a good summary. It seems to me people in this thread overrate Greenwood abit. He never showed the same talent at seniorlevel that he did for the youth team. In fact, I do think Garnacho looks more well rounded.

At seniorlevel, Greenwood had one thing going for him and that was world class finishing. The lack of development in his allround game was a bit of a worry.
I never saw him at youth level, but his job was to score gpals and he was bloody good at it, I've said this before, Ian Rush was a hopeless player but he could score for fun, that's all that really matters

Garnacho certainly seems to be a better all round player but we'll see, he needs to keep his focus and not distracted by fame and fortune, if he can do that then we have a hell of a player

Red00012

18 years of age and some much talent already . He is going to be a star and hopefully at Utd

tom8888sa

Supports
neutral
Amazing player. The real face of United soon. You guys are lucky to have a future superstar like him

Abraxas

Quite rare to see a winger that can make a defender look quite so foolish these days. Most of them want to cut inside, run inside, pass back where it came from. They're only interested when they get near the goal. This lad seems to take on defenders at will.

macheda14

Greenwood’s explosion onto the scene was huge, he just couldn’t miss. He didn’t develop at the rate we hoped, he became too selfish. But you’re misremembering if you don’t think he didn’t immediately show incredible talent. (He is a fecking twat though so who cares)

Waynne

Potential is there but I'm going to be patient with this one and I trust Erik to keep him grounded.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
His next contract should be written in blood. Need to swear on his bowl cut he will never leave United before 35.

Red-17

Greenwood’s explosion onto the scene was huge, he just couldn’t miss. He didn’t develop at the rate we hoped, he became too selfish. But you’re misremembering if you don’t think he didn’t immediately show incredible talent. (He is a fecking twat though so who cares)
Greenwood was pretty average pre Covid lockdown in his first chunk of appearances, his best spell for the club was after the restart. His lethal finishing was always by far his biggest trait, however, his overall play was quite disappointing and not on the level that Garnacho has shown so far.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Greenwood was pretty average pre Covid lockdown in his first chunk of appearances, his best spell for the club was after the restart. His lethal finishing was always by far his biggest trait, however, his overall play was quite disappointing and not on the level that Garnacho has shown so far.
I thought his overall game has improved alot in his 2nd season, but he has finishing touch has been kind of inconsistent at times, while he has also been getting very selfish. But overall I do prefer Garnancho, look more talented and exciting to me.

PSV

I don't recall how bad it was the season before, but playing with Ronaldo certainly propelled this.

I think the two could have had at least 10, if not more, goals extra between them if they recognized each other that half season they played together.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
His next contract should be written in blood. Need to swear on his bowl cut he will never leave United before 35.
But sometimes I wonder would he be willing extend his stay with us, or would he be tempted to join other big European clubs for more starts.

At current age maybe he knows he has to be patient, as he is still young and learning. But in 2 years time he would want to start as many games as possible.

At United he would have to compete with Rashford (our best attacker) and Sancho (our 85m man who is determined to train hard and get back to his form). He may not get as many game here as compared to other clubs whom he might be interested in joining.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
We obviously need to extend his contract as long as possible but I do wonder what's the best step for his career after that.

I think we should loan him as he's good enough to start for a decent side but not good enough to dislodge Rashford at the moment than there's also the matter of Sancho potentially getting back and putting a decent show.

We're getting very left heavy and I think ten hag has some very difficult decisions to make, we can't keep all of them.