Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

luke511

Lindelof and Bailly are NOT better than Maguire. Not even close
At what point did I say they were in that particular post? I said Bailly is better than Maguire at the old school style defending a good few comments back, which is a given.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He was loaned out at Hull City until Mike Phelan arrived as first team manager and made him a regular in the first team and then made him captain. It's not a surprise we did the same with Phelan assisting Ole at United.
Never put the connection together. That explains a lot unfortunately.

NoLogo

How does a player in front of him cover for his incompetence? Not be in the midfield and hold his hand?

I think that magical no 6 would prefer a garden gnome and we shouldve learnt our lesson by now that we shouldnt be fixated on what Maguire needs.

Lindelof actually looks like a decent CB next to Varane. The same cant be said for Maguire.

Im fed up with this disgrace of a coward.
I'm explaining why he works in a more defensive setup and not in ours. I'm 100% if we want to progress, Maguire doesn't have a future at this club, he simply is the wrong defender for us.

El Jefe

I want to defend him and have been trying to make sense of his train wreck of a season but I just can't anymore.

This is going down in history as one of worst individual seasons from a starter here. He's completely lost his way and unlike another player in bad form, Maguire is guaranteed a start the next game.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Never put the connection together. That explains a lot unfortunately.
We allowed the former Hull City manager to then sit on the transfer committee, and he got us to sign his former captain from Hull City.

Eddy_JukeZ

It's too far gone for him to salvage himself at the club.

He has probably had the worst season an outfield player has had in all my years of supporting the club.

We need to accept it's time to move on and just bin him to any potential buyer.

Eddy_JukeZ

We allowed the former Hull City manager to then sit on the transfer committee, and he got us to sign his former captain from Hull City.
Phelan never should have been brought back to the club.

I hated the move then.

He's a football dinosaur.

The Purley King

Yes he has been poor but Jesus fecking wept our organisation at the back is entirely non existent.
Before we all pass judgment at least get someone in n to sort out this clusterfeck

united for life

at this point I feel sad for him. He isn’t doing anything right. He is an average defender to start with, but he isn’t even average playing for us. The pressure of wearing the shirt and arm band got to him. He is slow, terrible positioning, clueless of what is going on around him and keeps putting players around him at risk with his bad passing (been doing it all season for de gea and did it today with Hannibal - the captain threw the youngest player on the pitch under the bus with a terrible pass). He isn’t a proper leader. There was an incident today towards the end of the match where Henderson went to confront him - the difference in the level of energy was so evident. It’s as if Harry doesn’t want to be there, it’s too much for him. The media, constant questioning, what happened when he was away on international duties surely isn’t helping him, but at this point, he doesn’t deserve to start any game.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

I hated the move then.

He was part of a football committee. What about the rest? Jon Murtough had orchestrated the restructuring of our recruitment department. Did Maguire pass from the same (we filtered 800+ defenders to end with him) that AWB did?

The Oracle

He is not good enough to be a Manchester United player.

We all know the club will extend his contract.

The situation is beyond ridiculous.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
No defense tonight. Maguire was absolutely atrocious as was the rest of the team. The only time I will defend him is on the first goal. Yes, he should have gotten closer to Mane, but stepping up was the right thing to do. The problem there was that as soon as he steps up, Jones and Lindelof need to shift over and back up to offer cover. They both are caught standing still on the other end of the pitch marking nobody and both react too late to Diaz's run. Then Elanga and Dalot are caught flat footed as well as both Salah and TAA run past them. Maguire is taking a lot of stick for this goal, but it's the only one I don't think he's at fault for.

For their second goal, Maguire doesn't seem to be getting much stick but I actually disagree with that. He's too flat and as the left side of the 3, he needs to be wary of Salah's runs and be ready to support Dalot. Dalot will take most of the blame, but as great as that goal was (the pass and first tough were sublime), Maguire should have recognized it sooner.

For their 3rd goal, Maguire is giving too much space. I kind of understand. In training our players would take a touch. Then take another. then another. Mane shooting first time isn't something he would be used to seeing in training (lighten up, it's a joke)

For the last goal, either kick it up the field, or pass it back to De Gea to start it over. Why he thought it was a good idea to give a floated ball to Hannibal I have no idea.

Maguire today 2/10 and that's a generous score...
fecking bullshit. Exactly like it was against Burnley which we disagreed about. Anyone with a half a brain cell can that he’s gets consistently sucked into these situations time and again.

luke511

fecking bullshit. Exactly like it was against Burnley which we disagreed about. Anyone with a half a brain cell can that he’s gets consistently sucked into these situations time and again.

He's completely blind to it, there's no point. It's obvious to everyone else that Maguire leaves a huge hole in the defence on a regular basis due to his awful recovery time and immobility, and needs replacing for that reason alone.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

I hated the move then.

I have to agree with you.

Having listened to Phelan talk about the game, and also reading his thoughts on recruitment (scouting/data analytics) as well as coaching. It's very clear that he's set in his ways and doesn't conform to the modern day reality of recruitment departments being backed up by data analytics. His coaching methods are also from a bygone era.

And our board stupidly allowed him on this shambles of a transfer committee when he clearly doesn't conform to a data led approach to recruitment in opposition to the club's own recruitment heads, who do believe in a data led approach. So what the board has done naively is they've mixed water with oil. And if you understand what i'm saying here, then it's not a surprise how things are going presently.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He's completely blind to it, there's no point. It's obvious to everyone else that Maguire leaves a huge hole in the defence on a regular basis due to his awful recovery time and immobility, and needs replacing for that reason alone.
I know, I’m regretting replying now. :lol:

Kingofwinners

The only positive I thought we had at half time was that at least this is rock bottom. But I was wrong and Maguire is part of the reason, even when we try to fight back he just destabilises everything. He should never play for us again.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Rangnick said post match the team were instructred not to press high and not to leave space in behind since this is pools strength.

No only Maguire, Dalot too both were out of position due to attempting to press into midfield.
This seems to be contrary to what the manager asked them to do

The Purley King

Shouldn't a good amount of that blame fall on the fecking captain and main CB? Along with De Gea
De gea escapes all criticism on this forum because he occasionally saves a few shots. Forgetting his passing is utter dogshit:
Maguire is decent and a good organiser. Yes he has a mistake in him but he’s not the main issue

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
De gea escapes all criticism on this forum because he occasionally saves a few shots. Forgetting his passing is utter dogshit:
Maguire is decent and a good organiser. Yes he has a mistake in him but he’s not the main issue
He does not

AdNani

he is NOT a good organiser, this has become pretty clear. He's ok in the right system, which is one that leaves no space in behind him.

Kaos

Both are an issue that need remedying in the long run, Maguire however is a pressing issue that we need to address immediately.

luke511

Rangnick said post match the team were instructred not to press high and not to leave space in behind since this is pools strength.

No only Maguire, Dalot too both were out of position due to attempting to press into midfield.
This seems to be contrary to what the manager asked them to do
I saw him get sucked out with no chance of recovering numerous times at Leicester, Burnley ripped a hole through them on one particular occasion because of it. I've no doubt it was a regular occurence at Hull in the Prem when they conceded a shitload of goals, I've seen a clip of him doing it in the Championship when he was younger. It seems like it's been a weakness of his all his career because he's always been really slow, and it was the main reason why a lot of fans didn't want him when we were getting linked with signing him. We just had to accept it after it happened and hope for the best because we were desperate for a CB.

Robindinho

Committed 2 of the biggest crimes in football with this guy;

1. We paid £80m for him
2. Then made him captain

:(

His interview earlier tonight saying he must be good as two managers have always picked him. feck off

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
think he'll request to leave in the summer, best for all parties.
not a chance will he.

ETH will need to be brave in the summer and take the captaincy off him, bench him and replace him.

we will never go anywhere with this slug in defence. Whatever he used to be good at he isn’t anymore.

E-mal

This post is utterly ridiculous.
Maguire is not a good organiser and is not decent for a team that want to play modern proactive football.
The worst transfer we have ever conducted, pound for pound.

The Purley King

Both are an issue that need remedying in the long run, Maguire however is a pressing issue that we need to address immediately.
set up correctly, get varane in beside him and we’d look a million times better.
Maguire is slow for sure but so are a lot of good centre backs and we need to adjust

AndyMUFC

He costs us a goal nearly every game at this point. Need to get that captaincy off him ASAP.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

People who say that know absolutely nothing what they are talking about. As a centre half you are supposed to drop in with your man. The biggest mistake Maguire makes is he gets a little hesitant. It's like he's been reading what you lot are saying so he stops. He should get tighter and as I posted, the other two should shift over and the wing back and winger should stay with their man. It's basic football

Kaos

set up correctly, get varane in beside him and we’d look a million times better.
Maguire is slow for sure but so are a lot of good centre backs and we need to adjust
His issue isn't just his speed, its his tendency to veer out of position leaving his defensive partner in a heap of trouble, his failure to track his target, his clumsiness with challenges, his all round defending to be honest.

Instead of desperately trying to accommodate him like that clown Southgate does by playing a back 3, we should look to get rid and actually bring in someone good enough whereas Harry clearly isn't. In the past we've repeatedly tried to absolve him by saying he doesn't have a proper defensive partner (Lindelof has been the better defender this season), blaming the midfield for leaving gaps and now we're blaming De Gea? We just need to accept he's a liability and the sooner we do so, the sooner we can actually build a proper defense that's capable of more than a top 4 scruffle.

Status
Not open for further replies.