Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I think he works better in a setup with a quality number 6 who can make up for his bad decision making and cover him when he steps out at the right time or close down the space when Maguire doesn't step up when he actually should.

That's why it is working for him in the England team with Rice and why it worked for him at Leicester with Ndidi. We simply don't have that quality number 6 and while probably every CB profits from a quality number 6 he seems to need it more than most other defenders, because he is simply too slow to recover from his mistakes.

Not having to play a high defensive line might also help him look better but that means he is simply woefully suited to a team trying to play modern progressive football.
How does a player in front of him cover for his incompetence? Not be in the midfield and hold his hand?

I think that magical no 6 would prefer a garden gnome and we shouldve learnt our lesson by now that we shouldnt be fixated on what Maguire needs.

Lindelof actually looks like a decent CB next to Varane. The same cant be said for Maguire.

Im fed up with this disgrace of a coward.

lsd

The Oracle
It wouldn't be a surprise if Maguire salvages his career elsewhere. Some players are just not cut out for certain clubs and situations

Maybe if he went to Burnley or Hull he might look decent.

Chief123

Just seen the replay of the third goal. Plays a diabolical pass and the steps out then they score. Dreadful player, one of the first things Ten Hag must do is take the captaincy off him.
Absolutely disagree. The captaincy shouldn’t even be a debate. The first thing Ten Haag should do is not include him in any first eleven. He should be looking to sell him immediately and recoup whatever funds we can for him.

Luckily Ten Haag’s style of front foot football means Maguire will be surplus to requirements because Ten Haag will require players who aren’t shit in his system.

Mmm-Qatarian

On merit he should not start the next few matches. Nobody can accuse me of scapegoating him because I have been very fair to him but right now his form does not warrant a place in the side.

I don't actually think dropping any one or two players will change an awful lot because the entire club is a disaster right now but Maguire and Fernandes in particular have been undroppable for a while now and if nothing else benching them both will send out a message.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
That is what proactive club would do. When we last time sold a player who didn't request a transfer/wanted to go? We don't cut our losses and we don't push players out. When you sign for United, you are here as long as you want.
Maguire is 29 and is United captain on big wages. He will not leave on his own (" he will fight for his place").
We defo cannot force him to leave if he'd be happy to sit on the bench but we should really stop him starting automatically. Either he earns his spot or he is a bench warmer

Idxomer

A reminder there were talks the club was going to give him a new 300k/week contract earlier in the season.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
He’s not the captain we want, he’s not the captain we need, but he’s the captain this squad deserves.

SAFMUTD

Shit fecker I'm gonna celebrate when this stupid piece of shit leaves the club.

always_hoping

The most unlikeable captain the club as ever had. A nothing footballer and comes across as a total ass in every interview he does.

L1nk

Embarassing that Keane lets slip they were intentionally trying to give Harry Maguire PR before the game to make him look good. Genuinely one of the worst signings United have ever made.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Irony overload.. That actually makes very little sense. Buying a quality CB to replace Maguire in the line up, with Varane injury free that would have Varane and the new CB starting, with Lindelof, Bailly and Maguire as back up on the bench. No idea behind your logic of having to sign 3 CBs to replace Maguire as a starter.
Lindelof and Bailly are NOT better than Maguire. Not even close

TsuWave

I remember Bailly used to bail out this bum and then people would turn around and blame Bailly

Ananke

Has to be put up for sale. Keeping him sets a precedent that it's ok to be absolute shite.
It’s all an agenda against Maguire…

In all honesty, he should have been put down a very long time ago. 80million captain, played consistently poor all season. I actually blame the people in charge at this point who keep playing him / keep him as captain. It’s a f-ing joke.

DevTheRed

Anyone keep the receipt?

It’s not just his performances which are dreadful, it’s the way he conducts himself in interviews and when in pressure moments (the England celebration comes to mind), he just isn’t it for me.

To be that arrogant to say ‘well there’s obviously a reason why managers keep picking me’ and to take no responsibility for the fact that’s he’s been sh*t and solely responsible for so many goals conceded this season is a joke.

You’re supposed to look up to your captain for inspiration and if we don’t the players certainly don’t either.

Reactions: Cheimoon

RedPed

Whatabouter.
It's like you want us to do bad. Go support someone else
Who's the muppet now...You're probably feeling a bit embarrassed but you must want us to do bad supporting a trash player like Maguire. It's not just me. Any person with half a brain can see it.

It's because I want us to do good that I want Maguire and the other trash cleaned out of this club.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
No defense tonight. Maguire was absolutely atrocious as was the rest of the team. The only time I will defend him is on the first goal. Yes, he should have gotten closer to Mane, but stepping up was the right thing to do. The problem there was that as soon as he steps up, Jones and Lindelof need to shift over and back up to offer cover. They both are caught standing still on the other end of the pitch marking nobody and both react too late to Diaz's run. Then Elanga and Dalot are caught flat footed as well as both Salah and TAA run past them. Maguire is taking a lot of stick for this goal, but it's the only one I don't think he's at fault for.

For their second goal, Maguire doesn't seem to be getting much stick but I actually disagree with that. He's too flat and as the left side of the 3, he needs to be wary of Salah's runs and be ready to support Dalot. Dalot will take most of the blame, but as great as that goal was (the pass and first tough were sublime), Maguire should have recognized it sooner.

For their 3rd goal, Maguire is giving too much space. I kind of understand. In training our players would take a touch. Then take another. then another. Mane shooting first time isn't something he would be used to seeing in training (lighten up, it's a joke)

For the last goal, either kick it up the field, or pass it back to De Gea to start it over. Why he thought it was a good idea to give a floated ball to Hannibal I have no idea.

Maguire today 2/10 and that's a generous score...

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The fact he still starts over Bailly says everthing.

Bailly would make 1 mistake like that maybe every 5/6 games.

Maguire is doing it EVERY MATCH

TsuWave

Nevermind captain, he's one of the worst defenders I've seen start for United regularly. Can't believe I used to get frustrated with Jonny Evans

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I agree. However how was he for Hull ? I don't remember anything at all
He was loaned out at Hull City until Mike Phelan arrived as first team manager and made him a regular in the first team and then made him captain. It's not a surprise we did the same with Phelan assisting Ole at United.

KeanoMagicHat

Why does he always get dragged away by runners so easily all of the time, you'd never get Tony Adams at that. Never lose track of where you are on the pitch. He seems to get lost all the time.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
The Chris Smalling isn't good enough crowd have had a stark reminder that things can get worse.

Smalling for his lack of ability on the ball was a much better player for us than this guy has been.

Status
Not open for further replies.