Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

OmarUnited4ever

It happens sometimes. Conte at Juventus for example — he was their captain for multiple seasons before they gave the armband to Del Piero and Conte remained at the club for 3 or 4 seasons after that.

Gallas was stripped of his Arsenal captainship in the middle of 2008/09 season but remained at Arsenal until the end of his contract in 2010 (before completing yet another move to his club's local rivals).
Yes, Gallas was stripped of the captaincy, I remember his tantrum, sitting on the game ended and sulking.

I also recall in Italy, Icardi was stripped from captaincy at Inter.

The reason I bring this up is that if Maguire is stripped of the captain's armband, it will cause a lot of forure and the media/pundits will have a field day, not to say Maguire deserves to be the club's captain but it's gonna be a tough decision for ETH and the club.

RedDevil@84

The reason I bring this up is that if Maguire is stripped of the captain's armband, it will cause a lot of forure and the media/pundits will have a field day, not to say Maguire deserves to be the club's captain but it's gonna be a tough decision for ETH and the club.
I think we should be beyond all this media nonsense. They think we are rubbish anyways. So about time we stop caring about them.

SAF is the GOAT

Already seen the bitter fans that want to bin 10H because what he said about Harry, fecking clowns.

choccy77

I read a report earlier that claimed Maguire played bad all season, because he suffered a knock during the Euros and hadn't recovered from it.

I think his mum should have her computer taken away.

RopersReturn

If rumours are true, Ten Hag will probably adopt a high line approach which will probably limit Maguires selection, due to his lack of pace.

Revaulx

Yes, Gallas was stripped of the captaincy, I remember his tantrum, sitting on the game ended and sulking.

I also recall in Italy, Icardi was stripped from captaincy at Inter.

I think the tradition of the captaincy being a job for life is a fairly recent one; certainly at United. Ray Wilkins was made captain on Martin Buchan’s departure* but was replaced by Bryan Robson after a season at the most. Wilkins was still at the club (and a key starter) for a season after that.

* actually Buchan may have still been on the books when he was replaced by Wilkins, though he was rarely getting games by then.

Lyng

It was interesting listening to The American Red Devils podcast. They where on the stadium for the CP match and they specifically mentioned how Maguire seemed checked out. When the match ended our away fans where singing "We love United, we do" and lots of players went at clapped the fans and clearly where moved by this and apparently looked ashamed of their performance. Maguire just walked of and didnt look bothered at all and just went down the tunnel.

I only watched on tv so I have not seen this with my own eyes, but it is interesting hearing this from two lads who where at the match.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Pau Torres looks like the ideal candidate. I haven't seen him play that often, but he stood out in the few games I've seen him play, a classy modern CB with a commanding presence we lack in the current squad. Skriniar is another option, but I feel Torres offers more.

I've no idea as to their sale price, somewhere in the region of £30-35 million a piece maybe?

Yagami

Good post resistant
Maguire has one pass that he is very good at. The diagonal pass out to the left winger/fullback to get them into space. Otherwise he's certainly not on the same level as Blind in terms of passing ability.
It's not just about long range passes. Or passing alone, in fact. Maguire's passes between the lines, and the fact that, unlike most cbs, he is comfortable at passing in tight positions is on par with Blind. Where he has Blind beat is ball carrying and the ability to shield the ball under pressure.

Lyng

It's not just about long range passes. Or passing alone, in fact. Maguire's passes between the lines, and the fact that, unlike most cbs, he is comfortable at passing in tight positions is on par with Blind. Where he has Blind beat is ball carrying and the ability to shield the ball under pressure.
His passing is not even close to the quality of Blinds. Maguires passes very often put the receiver under massive pressure because of how badly aimed they are and how they are almost allways either to fast or to slow.
Blind is an excellent passer and also reads the game much better than Maguire.

Maguire is strong and decent in the air. Thats it. He is about as far from what a Ten Hag defender needs to be as you can get.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Comfortable at passing in tight conditions? We can't be talking about the same player. Once an opposing player gets within a couple of yards of Maguire he loses any form of composure he shows when given time and space. I actually panic every time I see him with the ball when he's being closed down.

jeff_goldblum

Ability on the ball has never been one of Maguire's issues, his distribution and ability to carry the ball up the pitch was important to our good periods under Ole (yes, there were some). The big question mark with him in Ten Hag's system (aside from whether he can mentally recover from the torrid time he's had this season) is his lack of pace on the turn. If we're wanting to play a high-line, the combination of Maguire's lack of pace, De Gea's passivity and Shaw/Telles poor positional sense will be an issue for us.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
If he'd cost the same as Lindelof, woudl there be any argument who is better?

I'm with the posters saying he get's another season. There's a quality player there, and hopefully ETH takes the captaincy from him so he can just focus on doing his job defending.

Look at the comedy gold that is City's defenders when they're left exposed. No one looks good in that situation. We have - honestly - the worst central midfield in the premier league. It is unpredictable, unreliable and hugely inconsistent. Any back 4 would look crap behind it. Then combine that with a sh*t show from our full backs - again Dalot/Telles is probably the worst pairing int he league - and what do we expect?
Don't forget a keeper who doesn't come off his line, isn't looking for a back pass, and rarely opens his mouth. VVD would look like crap in our defense. One day the muppets will finally wake up and realize what the real problem is.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Ability on the ball has never been one of Maguire's issues, his distribution and ability to carry the ball up the pitch was important to our good periods under Ole (yes, there were some). The big question mark with him in Ten Hag's system (aside from whether he can mentally recover from the torrid time he's had this season) is his lack of pace on the turn. If we're wanting to play a high-line, the combination of Maguire's lack of pace, De Gea's passivity and Shaw/Telles poor positional sense will be an issue for us.
That's why there's a few murmurs of a back 3. Varane and someone else quick back there.

This would also allow Bruno to play as a number 10 ahead of 2 defensive guys, and give Ronaldo a partner.
Goodness knows how Sancho gets in, or how we get another chances for Ronaldo in that system though.

Would rely hugely on Shaw getting back to top fitness, 2 new centre mids coming in, and finding a good solution for right wing back.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Serious question, if we do sign Timber and Torres this summer in order to play high defensive line, should we sell Maguire this summer? If so how much should we ask for?

Stadjer

His bottom level is pretty low, but his top level is certainly better than Lindelof, Bailly, Jones, Tuanzebe etc.
Assuming top level is that they play to their maximum ability based on their level of talent.

I would disagree with Bailly. Bailly at his best would be better than Harry Maguire. Bailly at his best is a very strong and quick player with a very agressive style of defending. At his best includes that he wont do something weird or make a mistake.. which is a rare thing with Bailly. Too bad that is a dream scenario. Even if Bailly gets close to playing like that he would likely get injured the moment he does.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Generally, outside of this forum I’m one of his biggest abuser but its sorry watching him against Crystal Palace. In all honesty I didn’t think he had a bad game.
He just looked a lost player, trying to be impressive or win people/someone over. Whilst all he needed to do was just enjoy being a footballer and appreciate being a representative of Manchester United on the pitch.
He looked awkward, on edge and out of place. I personally accepted he has his limitations before we even signed him just like I also believe Varane has his limitations but you don’t have to obsess with hiding it but own it and best the the things you are great at.
Making him captain was obviously an awful call. We currently have a player in our hands that might be going around with the heavy weight of uncertainty in his head and we’re expecting him to lead our team. The annoying part for me seem to be journalist trying to blame everyone bar him all season for his limitations. It wasn’t about form for me, it’s about him being limited and no one wants to accept it.
I remember one ball DDG coming out to pick it up, instead of moving left to give him a quick distribution outlet. He guided the ball all the way to goalie whilst telling him to be calm. I found it funny and strange because he was the one with his back to the pitch. If anyone had to instructions at that point, it should have been the one facing play. A CB can’t be a stress head and expect to do his job well.

Yagami

Good post resistant
His passing is not even close to the quality of Blinds. Maguires passes very often put the receiver under massive pressure because of how badly aimed they are and how they are almost allways either to fast or to slow.
Blind is an excellent passer and also reads the game much better than Maguire.

Maguire is strong and decent in the air. Thats it. He is about as far from what a Ten Hag defender needs to be as you can get.
Comfortable at passing in tight conditions? We can't be talking about the same player. Once an opposing player gets within a couple of yards of Maguire he loses any form of composure he shows when given time and space. I actually panic every time I see him with the ball when he's being closed down.
completely disagree.

Maguire's ability on the ball is why he won his place in the England starting 11, and he's been our 3rd best player in our two best tournament runs in DECADES behind Kane and Sterling. It's why Pep fought hard to sign. And it'll be why ten Hag uses him a lot.
people are just rewriting history. Maguire has always been fantastic on the ball.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
completely disagree.

Maguire's ability on the ball is why he won his place in the England starting 11, and he's been our 3rd best player in our two best tournament runs in DECADES behind Kane and Sterling. It's why Pep fought hard to sign. And it'll be why ten Hag uses him a lot.

people are just rewriting history. Maguire has always been fantastic on the ball.
I think if we had a poll asking if Maguire is comfortable in possession when being pressurised I'd imagine close to 80% would say no way. Under little pressure he does look, if not classy then at least capable but he's not an all round ball player which would set him apart from other players in my humble opinion.

Smithy89

Gareth must be smoking some good stuff, but judging by his team selections and tactics we know that already.

Greck

Yep as most of us predicted. The reason we're looking for a new CB is to replace Maguire.
Speculation but I have a feeling a lot of predictions about several players' fates under ETH will start to materialise one by one. Starting from more obvious ones like AWB I expect to see several first teamers in another jersey before his 3rd year. He'll improve players but maybe not the ones people want him to. Some of these signings should have never even been made for a team wanting to play proactively. Maguire's pace wouldn't be problematic if he didnt have the occasional habit of overcommitting.

JeffFromHK

Maguire is still a decent B+ graded CB.

His main problem is his lapses of concentration and brainfarts which I am not sure if it can be fixed or not.

Himannv

I think he tries too hard to make an impact and justify his price tag so he ventures a bit too far forward at times. He just doesn't have the sort of agility needed to get back quickly to make up for those sort of forays. I think he'll do better if he stays back and defends and controls the game from there. It gives him a bit more time to react to potential problems and get himself into a good position. There will still be errors, of course, but I think that will eliminate some of it.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I think he'll come good next season. Yes he's not the commanding defender we thought he would be but he's still pretty good imo.
In what way is he pretty good though, besides heading balls out of his own area (which he's always been excellent at)? He's not great positionally, he lacks any sort of athleticism to make up for his positional lapses, he's pretty passive in challenging for the ball, and he's a bang average passer/distributor from the back that struggles mightily when pressed.

At his very best he's a decent defender that can carve a solid place in a team that wants to sit deep and soak pressure, where he can keep everything in front of him and worry more about winning aerial duels. It's why he's "one of the best defenders" for England (which isn't much of an accomplishment with how defensive that twat Southgate likes to setup, he literally plays 5 defenders with 2 pure DM's in front of them in Phillips and Rice).

I just don't understand how fans can watch all of the best/successful modern CB's play in today's game and then look at Maguire and say "yeah he'll come good".

GoldanoGraham

He will definitely be given a starting chance by ETH. There are simply too many other issues to address. The other CB playing alongside him for starters and the FB positions.

Maguire has suffered a lot this season as he’s been woefully exposed continuously and he lost all confidence. Once we finally get a proper CDM then both CB’s will look significantly better. Also if we can actually hold onto the ball for more than 3 passes it won’t keep coming back so quickly and maybe a better out option for the defence would make everything look so much less panicky.

With all other activities and movements Maguire has at least until Jan23 transfer window to impress.

Greck

He will definitely be given a starting chance by ETH. There are simply too many other issues to address. The other CB playing alongside him for starters and the FB positions.

Maguire has suffered a lot this season as he’s been woefully exposed continuously and he lost all confidence. Once we finally get a proper CDM then both CB’s will look significantly better. Also if we can actually hold onto the ball for more than 3 passes it won’t keep coming back so quickly and maybe a better out option for the defence would make everything look so much less panicky.

With all other activities and movements Maguire has at least until Jan23 transfer window to impress.
If it's true we're in for a CB one of Varane or Maguire is already in trouble. Plus Maguire always seems to need a proper this or proper that beside him. We got him Varane and he regressed. It always feels like he needs a ton of compensating when a proper CB should be able to hold his own. What happens when the CB partner or DM is injured? We give him the day off? He needs to hold his own. The truth is our porous midfield is compounded by having unathletic, positionally suspect defenders behind them. They suffer from the CBs being shaky as much as the CBs suffer from them being bad. It's not a situation that should be used to assure anyone when they are all part of the problem. Cos then I could just say I'm sure Fred would look better with two proper world class CBs behind him.

Status
Not open for further replies.