Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Harrrry Maguire

Saw this the other day and this is really good. Much better player than he showed last season but he has shown himself to be very unreliable. I dont think I have ever seen an United CB play as terribly as he did last season.

::sonny::

Saw this the other day and this is really good. Much better player than he showed last season but he has shown himself to be very unreliable. I dont think I have ever seen an United CB play as terribly as he did last season.
United shirt have a different weight and at United the whole squad is unbalanced, only 2 midfielder the rest are technical player with zero work rate attitude

Would be difficult for everyone

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
United shirt have a different weight and at United the whole squad is unbalanced, only 2 midfielder the rest are technical player with zero work rate attitude

Would be difficult for everyone
Last season was a horrorshow but Maguire was probably the worst out of everyone alongside Rashford.

Zoo

Seems like a rather odd 'story' to cover for the likes of Henry Winter, but okay.
It's not that odd, media and players have been in Munich since Saturday. Apart from training there's not been much else to cover.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Interesting data

What I've been saying all along.

He hasn't been anywhere near as bad as some think he has been on here.

Some poor games for sure, but easily our best defender and has been since he has been at the club.

city-puma

He is our best CB and no one else in our team can play LCB better. But he ages another year. Hope him keep his level for a few more years.

Roboc7

Some poor games for sure, but easily our best defender and has been since he has been at the club.
He was abysmal last season, but I think he isn’t as good or as bad as he is often made out to be. He’s a pretty average player, was before we signed him and will continue to be for as long as he is here.

Just a really odd signing for such a huge fee, be interesting to see how he adapts to how ETH wants to play. Going to be a big ask to change how he plays at this stage of his career.

phelans shorts

FA Official/camera man
It’s highly unlikely it was a cameraman, unless you consider everyone in the world a cameraman because they have a phone. The FA will want a chaperone with any player leaving the camp during a trip like this, particularly as the world isn’t quite back to normal re:COVID.

We don’t know the circumstances around the photos release

TsuWave

“b-b-but he’s good for England”

the guy is a bum. Stop trying to make him happen. It’s over

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Again with the same rushing out of the back line.

It makes no sense, he’s less agile than fecking Fellaini, you can’t be doing that.

city-puma

He was abysmal last season, but I think he isn’t as good or as bad as he is often made out to be. He’s a pretty average player, was before we signed him and will continue to be for as long as he is here.

Just a really odd signing for such a huge fee, be interesting to see how he adapts to how ETH wants to play. Going to be a big ask to change how he plays at this stage of his career.
You will be surprised. He is a natural starter for ETH.

copen1945

Again with the same rushing out of the back line.

It makes no sense, he’s less agile than fecking Fellaini, you can’t be doing that.
In the Tchouameni transfer thread, there is a description of how the French player reviews his own matches and tries to make constant improvements. I doubt Harry does anything similar. He has been making the same mistake over and over.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Don't care if it's a PR stunt or not (fwiw I don't think it is)... Its a good thing for our club captain to do and he didn't have to do it.
I think it's pretty transparent that Winter is attempting some to do some PR for Harry but that doesn't mean that it wasn't a nice thing for Maguire to do. (Or that HM did it with bad intentions or PR in mind)

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I think he is now worth more than 50m?

Don’t get me wrong he is still a good CB in right setup, but with ETH playing high line defence maybe it’s better for everyone to let him go.

Tarrou

I think he is now worth more than 50m?

Don’t get me wrong he is still a good CB in right setup, but with ETH playing high line defence maybe it’s better for everyone to let him go.
no way anyone gives us 50m for him

about 30 maybe???

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
no way anyone gives us 50m for him

about 30 maybe???
Well United bias aside, he is still English international and key player for England. 50m should be about right, when you look at how other English players would cost:

Stone - cost City around 50m. Maguire has been better than him at England shirt.

Kane - Spur refuse to sell him to City for 100m

Rice - West Ham rated him at 150m

Grealish - cost City 100m

Phillips - don’t think Leeds would let him go for anything less than 50m

Sancho - cost us around 75m, and he is not even English first team player

Last edited:

Tarrou

Well United bias aside, he is still English international and key player for England. 50m should be about right, when you look at how other English players would cost:

Stone - cost City around 50m. Maguire has been better than him at England shirt.

Kane - Spur refuse to sell him to City for 100m

Rice - West Ham rated him at 150m

Grealish - cost City 100m

Phillips - don’t think Leeds would let him go for anything less than 50m

Sancho - cost us around 75m, and he is not even English first team player
Yeah okay but you're looking at other players fees when they are highly sought after.

Maguire has moved to a big club and failed, and he's been exposed as a bit of a carthorse. Clubs aren't looking at him the way they were when he was playing well at Leicester.

Factor in his high wages and you're not shifting him for a high amount. This is why we struggle to sell so many players, well actually any player.

Red_toad

In the Tchouameni transfer thread, there is a description of how the French player reviews his own matches and tries to make constant improvements. I doubt Harry does anything similar. He has been making the same mistake over and over.
Its a good job we now actually have a coach who will make the players reflect on their performances and who has some authority so he can drop them if they continue to do so. Ten Hag is meticulous in his methods, he’ll get much more form the same players, or they’ll rot in the under 23’s if they don’t have the right attitude.
Not sure what Harry does, but the entire defence was a shite show last season, that’s not down to a single player, more the entire system.

Gums

Unnecessary PR stunt :nono:
I really dislike his football and would love to see him move on, but no matter what he does he gets stick. PR, interest, respect, we‘ll never know for sure. I‘m willing to give him the benefit of doubt and say that it was a good thing to do even if there was a planned PR angle. In the worst case, some people may read about his visit and decide to go themselves and learn more about our history.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Yeah okay but you're looking at other players fees when they are highly sought after.

Maguire has moved to a big club and failed, and he's been exposed as a bit of a carthorse. Clubs aren't looking at him the way they were when he was playing well at Leicester.

Factor in his high wages and you're not shifting him for a high amount. This is why we struggle to sell so many players, well actually any player.
Same thing can be said of Lukaku too when we sell him to Inter. We still manage to get back 70m from selling him.

His England performance alone would means we would get decent money off him. His wage if I remember correctly would be around 190k? Its high but not too high.

He was absolutely abysmal last season. Its not his true level and he is normally a very good (not excellent) defender, but his confidence was shot, and if his confidence goes like that should he really be Captain? Not in my book.

The biggest issue is having him as Captain, not as a Manchester United player.

NoPace

Did okay against Germany, partly because defending deep generally suits him better, but he's lost a step and isn't getting any younger.

That said, I'm not sure Botman is any better, so maybe we can get 2 decent seasons out of him in a 3 man rotation with Varane and a new left-footed CB with some pace and passing, even if they're a bit worse aerially.

Roboc7

You will be surprised. He is a natural starter for ETH.
He’s not someone who is naturally suited to playing in ETH’s system but he’ll definitely be a starter for at least another year I’d imagine. He’ll be phased out though if he doesn’t adapt and improve significantly.

Mmm-Qatarian

I am in the rare camp that really likes Maguire. All-in-all I think he seems like a really decent guy (and yes, I do know about Greece) and in spite of his poor form this season I think there is a good player in him too.

What is eminently clear to me, though, is that he is not ready to handle the pressure of the captaincy. Becoming the world's most expensive defender and moving from a relatively reputable side like Leicester to one of the world's most followed clubs is quite a heavy burden to start with, and it was then compounded by being given the captain's armband within about five months of joining. When you add to that the fact that we have since signed Edinson Cavani and Cristiano Ronaldo, two extremely well-respected senior figures within the game, it seems very likely that the level of pressure which comes with being captain of the team is not something Maguire is equipped to handle.

Roux

I am in the rare camp that really likes Maguire. All-in-all I think he seems like a really decent guy (and yes, I do know about Greece) and in spite of his poor form this season I think there is a good player in him too.

What is eminently clear to me, though, is that he is not ready to handle the pressure of the captaincy. Becoming the world's most expensive defender and moving from a relatively reputable side like Leicester to one of the world's most followed clubs is quite a heavy burden to start with, and it was then compounded by being given the captain's armband within about five months of joining. When you add to that the fact that we have since signed Edinson Cavani and Cristiano Ronaldo, two extremely well-respected senior figures within the game, it seems very likely that the level of pressure which comes with being captain of the team is not something Maguire is equipped to handle.
Take the captaincy away then - you have the same player, with the same flaws and now stripped of captaincy. Bad all round - just get rid.

Status
Not open for further replies.