Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

jem

I don't accuse anyone who is critical of Maguire for taking their opinion from Goldbridge. I accuse those who quote Goldbridge word for word for taking their opinion from him
This is absolutely fascinating.
It is utterly bizarre. I remember if coming up over and over last season as well. You almost wonder if the poster in question was exiled from the United Stand or didn't have one of their super chats read out.

Foxbatt

Bollocks. What is a progressive pass? All he does is play a long pass to the right once all the opposition players have got back into shape and settled down.
He is not an elite CB. If he was not British they would be on his back all the time.
That money could and should have been spent somewhere else on midfield.
Ole has made him captain too and we can't drop him..

lloyd2wayne

Bollocks. What is a progressive pass? All he does is play a long pass to the right once all the opposition players have got back into shape and settled down.
He is not an elite CB. If he was not British they would be on his back all the time.
Or half that money could have been spent on a better CB.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I wonder what the progressive pass and carry stats were for Rio, Vidic and Stam…oh right no one fecking cares because they could actually defend, which is what Maguire has shown he can’t do at an elite level.
Stats weren't present in football then in they way they are now. But you can bet that if they were then someone like Ferdinand would have excelled in that regard and it would indeed have been used to highlight how good he was on the ball. You shouldn't be surprised that people aren't making 1990s arguments in 2021.

Regardless, the reason stats have become prevalent in football over the last few decades is exactly because they demonstrate things that aren't always apparent through clouds of subjectivity and intense bias. Like the ones that fill up every player performance thread, for example.

In this case they demonstrate that Maguire is central to our ability to actually progress the ball out of defence. You can take that as an argument in favour of Maguire if you like, or you could perhaps with more insight wonder what our reliance on Harry Maguire in this regard tells you about the way the rest of our team functions and the flaws in other positions. Either way, if people are asking why we don't drop Maguire then this is a big part of the reason.

lex talionis

Maguire can’t be dropped any time soon, but his firm has been abysmal for the better part of 12 months now. Concern is warranted, although it’s way too early to seriously consider moving him on or back to Leicester City.

Tyrion

Presumably a progressive pass is a forward one. In which case being a centre back for a team with a lot of the ball means it'd be an easy thing to do.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Maguire can’t be dropped any time soon, but his firm has been abysmal for the better part of 12 months now. Concern is warranted, although it’s way too early to seriously consider moving him on or back to Leicester City.
I don't think Leicester can afford his contract & probably are not too interested in taking him back. Leicester try to buy with a profit in mind & I don't think there is any money to be made on Maguire.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Not a single player is in good form in the PL except De gea.

I'm not that worried. Sure he is overpriced but that never bothers me because what's done is done.

Why blame the player for the price the club was willing to pay?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I wonder what the progressive pass and carry stats were for Rio, Vidic and Stam…oh right no one fecking cares because they could actually defend, which is what Maguire has shown he can’t do at an elite level.
God damn alot of those CB's need to adapt to be good enough for the modern game.

Wing Attack Plan R

Ah yes, the infamous "carry".

Dribbling forward, predictably passing it to the left back who was available before the dribble, then jogging back.

These stats paint him like some sort of Delay Blind 2.0 when anyone with a single eyeball can see he's technically limited.
I know this is an autocorrect from "Daley" to "Delay", but I feel "Delay" really suits Maguire to a T.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Ah yes, the infamous "carry".

Dribbling forward, predictably passing it to the left back who was available before the dribble, then jogging back.

These stats paint him like some sort of Delay Blind 2.0 when anyone with a single eyeball can see he's technically limited.
Youre not wrong. Thats Harry Maguire 101.

Pronewbie

Peep
He's been absolutely woeful this season. If this keeps up for another month or so, he's going to lose the patience and goodwill of most of the fanbase. By then his captaincy will be untenable.

Jackal981

Are you Harry his sister? Everything that is posted on this website which isnt overly possitive about your beloved Harry Maguire is directly answered with a ''you are repeating Goldbridge - come up with your own thing''. Youve said it to me, ive seen you say it to others many times and here you do it again. Maybe there is a reason you are the only one with a truly unique opinion concerning Harry Maguire. You might very well be the only one in the world who thinks Harry Maguire is the cream of crop centre back. Open your eyes, watch a game... Maguire has been horrible this season. Ofcourse people will point that out, Goldbridge does it (i guess, since i dont watch him but you keep repeating it), people at this site do it and im sure match going fans will also say he hasnt been good this season. Deal with it without calling everyone a Goldbridge repeater without an own opinion, it isnt that hard to watch him play and form the opinion that he hasnt exactly been good.

Yes, he isnt playing in ideal circumstances this season but even at his very best Harry Maguire has some obvious flaws and is not a world class defender.
Bet you he is his family member or someone close to him. Remember one of our players got butthurt from criticism and his family member complained over it ? Thats our captain :lol:

Lyng

Stats weren't present in football then in they way they are now. But you can bet that if they were then someone like Ferdinand would have excelled in that regard and it would indeed have been used to highlight how good he was on the ball. You shouldn't be surprised that people aren't making 1990s arguments in 2021.

Regardless, the reason stats have become prevalent in football over the last few decades is exactly because they demonstrate things that aren't always apparent through clouds of subjectivity and intense bias. Like the ones that fill up every player performance thread, for example.

In this case they demonstrate that Maguire is central to our ability to actually progress the ball out of defence. You can take that as an argument in favour of Maguire if you like, or you could perhaps with more insight wonder what our reliance on Harry Maguire in this regard tells you about the way the rest of our team functions and the flaws in other positions. Either way, if people are asking why we don't drop Maguire then this is a big part of the reason.
He really is not. The only thing that shows is that he has the ball way to much when he is playing. What this fails to take into account is how many of those passes lead to actual chances. When he has the ball he moves it forward, often because he is not seibg the faster better pass. His constant padding the ball while moving slowly forward or passing the ball slightly forward to the left back who has moved forward will only help to boost this useless stat.

ForeverRed1

His price tag and making him captain has actually been a problem. We can’t drop him or move him on, because he is too expensive and not worth it and he is the captain.

this is the first thing I would of liked to of seen Ralf change. The captaincy. You never know he might even play better without the pressure.

the chameleon

Another GOldbridge muppet
I actually find Goldbridge annoying. I think you're just a Maguire fangirl. You like his big chiseled slabhead and fridge of a body. You can't come to term with the facts that your crush's performances have been below par this season. He needs upgrading if Man Utd are to move forward. Nothing personal

spiriticon

It's not Goldbridge that people should listen to. It's Rafa Van der Vaart.

"Maguire is so shit" :lol:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
What does progressive passes mean? if its about forwards passes then it can be stat padded easily. Wouldnt most CB pass forward anyway...? behind them theres only the keeper. Hell even most RB/LB start ahead of CB in their default positions. So passing to Shaw counts as a forsrd pass.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Just wondering what it will take for him to be dropped? He has been stinking it up all year, costing us goals, and causing nervousness throughout the defence. You can even see teams are starting to target him.

I would seriously consider selling him in the summer while we can get some money back.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He really is not. The only thing that shows is that he has the ball way to much when he is playing. What this fails to take into account is how many of those passes lead to actual chances. When he has the ball he moves it forward, often because he is not seibg the faster better pass. His constant padding the ball while moving slowly forward or passing the ball slightly forward to the left back who has moved forward will only help to boost this useless stat.
The point of this far from useless stat isn't to track what passes create chances, nor do I know why you'd expect your CB to be creating chances anyway. It's to track how the ball gets from back to front. Which anyone with even half a brain should be able to see the use of.

But the bold is exactly what I'm alluding to. The question to ask is why there is so much pressure on him to progress the ball forward as other players in defence/midfield aren't making those passes. In terms of the Newcastle game there were extenuating circumstances given the way our midfield set-up in the second-half but in general ball progression has been a big problem in our team. Which decreases the liklihood of dropping one of the player who actually moves the ball forward in any way, even when they don't play well.

Or to put it another way: if people want Maguire replaced, then we desperately need it to be with another CB who is excellent on the ball and/or we need our fullbacks & midfielders to do a lot more when it comes to moving the ball from back to front.

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
What does progressive passes mean? if its about forwards passes then it can be stat padded easily.
Just kicking the ball forwards isn't a progressive pass. It has to do with how long the ball travels and from where (where the passer is positioned when making the pass). A defender needs to pass it much longer compared to a player in the final third in order for the pass to count as progressive. Some also take into consideration how many opponents the pass travels past (e.g. if the keeper kicks the ball thirty odd meters up the pitch to an unmarked player under zero pressure, this wouldn't count as progressive), etc.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
What does progressive passes mean? if its about forwards passes then it can be stat padded easily. Wouldnt most CB pass forward anyway...? behind them theres only the keeper. Hell even most RB/LB start ahead of CB in their default positions. So passing to Shaw counts as a forsrd pass.
It's slightly more than that.

This is the definition Fbref use, for example:

Completed passes that move the ball towards the opponent's goal at least 10 yards from its furthest point in the last six passes, or any completed pass into the penalty area. Excludes passes from the defending 40% of the pitch

Olva

By itself it is useless stats. Using those numbers by its own to defend a player is at best naive. Does it not matter if he could pass it earlier? or if newcastle tactics was to let him have the ball? People need to watch matches not isolated stats with little context.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Reports of him becoming more domesticated after Ronaldo arrival which makes sense i suppose

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I actually rate Maguire, I don’t think he’s a great, but I feel he’s a level above anyone (Varane aside) that we’ve had since Rio and Vidic….that being said he’s been horrendous for so long that it’s now questionable that anyone we’ve had since Rio and Vidic wouldn’t be better currently.

Shimo

Really think he needs to have the responsibility of captaincy taken off his shoulders. Am not one to subscribe to the idea that a great captain has to be Keano shouting and scowling to show leadership. However, I honestly can't say I've seen anything from Maguire where he shows leadership on the field whether it is to put an arm around, to scold others to do better or just really step up his game to lead by example when things are down. Off the pitch, in interviews he gives excuses and cliches yet doesn't back it up with performances.

He is going through some bad form right now but, he is a very good CB - should be given responsibility to just stick to get back to his primary job and excel at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.