Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

lsd

The Oracle
For someone who is supposedly good on the ball he is horrible to watch when trying to make a pass.

It seems like hours for him to control the ball think about what he is going to do dither on it some more and then pass it backwards to whoever is closest to him.

Giggs' right foot

In a parallel universe where we did not spent money on Maguire and instead just kept Smalling, I reckon our last 2,5 years would be as close to identical as possible in regards to league positions, goals conceded and tournament progression.

The only thing Maguire has got going for him in United that can somewhat excuse his price and that Smalling hadn't, is how he's never injured. Other than that, Maguire has showcased nothing that a £15-20mil. player also could've done.

I'm from 1993, but he's the worst captain in my time. Makes your memory mistake Ashley Young for Eric Cantona, when compared with Harry.

Valencia Shin Crosses

The most frustrating thing for me is that he's seemingly undroppable for no apparent reason. I can understand how managers don't really want to drop Bruno or Rashford in hopes that they rediscover form or try to get the best out of them, but Maguire has comfortably been the worst defender in our squad all year and that's saying something considering how bad the majority of them have been. And you can't really use the excuse of him being captain, because it's not like he's John Terry or some other talismanic leader that the squad looks up to. He's done nothing in his career but is treated as if he's a club legend that just needs to shake off some rust. Feck me Rio and Vidic were cut off quicker at the end of their times here and they were better then than Maguire is now!

AshRK

In a parallel universe where we did not spent money on Maguire and instead just kept Smalling, I reckon our last 2,5 years would be as close to identical as possible in regards to league positions, goals conceded and tournament progression.

The only thing Maguire has got going for him in United that can somewhat excuse his price and that Smalling hadn't, is how he's never injured. Other than that, Maguire has showcased nothing that a £15-20mil. player also could've done.

I'm from 1993, but he's the worst captain in my time. Makes your memory mistake Ashley Young for Eric Cantona, when compared with Harry.
Smalling was also massively overhyped and was rightly let go but the fact that he wasn't a 80m player helped his cause. Maguire was never a 80m player and to make matter worse he was made our captain.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Don't particularly care if you frame this as defence of Maguire or condemnation of the rest of the team but it's part of the reason he plays.

Oranges038

One thing I noticed about him last night and I don't know why I never noticed it before is that he is so flat footed. He's never ready to move, all his foot is just planted on the ground.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

Don't particularly care if you frame this as defence of Maguire or condemnation of the rest of the team but it's part of the reason he plays.
One of our few players that isn't scared to move or pass forward with the ball.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
People are talking about his passing, but his defending has been even worse this season. He gets turned over so easily, for the goal, any CB worth his salt would not show ASM inside. But, Maguire does. Then there was another moment few mins later, where exact some move happened and he was turned by ASM again. And eventually that lunge when he was caught lacking for pace.

Absolute calamity, to think he cost £80m. Doesn't help he is weak as piss, and offers no leadership quality. Lindelof deserves a run once he is fit.

One of our few players that isn't scared to move or pass forward with the ball.
:houllier:

It severely stiffles our play with how slow he is do both. And, his ability on the ball is extremely limited. He'd immediately become a better player if someone pulled him aside and told him how average he was on the ball. He seems to think he is prime Beckenbauer on the ball with how much time he takes, as if he is going to slice open the entire team with his pass. He's been total shit this season and needs benching.

Leftback99

It severely stiffles our play with how slow he is do both. And, his ability on the ball is extremely limited. He'd immediately become a better player if someone pulled him aside and told him how average he was on the ball. He seems to think he is prime Beckenbauer on the ball with how much time he takes, as if he is going to slice open the entire team with his pass. He's been total shit this season and needs benching.
What stifles our play is that no one else even wants the ball.

Kush

What stifles our play is that no one even wants the ball.
That is a problem too, but 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Maguire is too slow, too average on the ball for us to become a high-line pressing and progressive team. Which should ultimately be what matters, not that he is playing most progressive passes (which lead to nothing) while making number of mistakes per match which cost us goals.

Leftback99

That is a problem too, but 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Maguire is too slow, too average on the ball for us to become a high-line pressing and progressive team. Which should ultimately be what matters, not that he is playing most progressive passes (which lead to nothing) while making number of mistakes per match which cost us goals.
He's perfectly capable of playing in a high line team and playing quick passes if there are options.

It was Varane's mistake which led to the goal last night.

Kush

He's perfectly capable of playing in a high line team and playing quick passes if there are options.

It was Varane's mistake which led to the goal last night.
No he is not, he's one of the slowest players in the Premier League and routinely has to hack players down when they go past him.

Varane mistake occurred at half-way line. Maguire was just as culpable since he dropped back and eventually showed him inside on his stronger foot, and when he got skinned he pushed him with both hands. That would've been a penalty if he had missed. Hilarious how you are oblivious to the role Maguire played in that goal.

Thanks though, I'll save my time by not trying to converse with you on him.

Leftback99

No he is not, he's one of the slowest players in the Premier League and routinely has to hack players down when they go past him.

Varane mistake occurred at half-way line. Maguire was just as culpable since he dropped back and eventually showed him inside on his stronger foot, and when he got skinned he pushed him with both hands. That would've been a penalty if he had missed. Hilarious how you are oblivious to the role Maguire played in that goal.

Thanks though, I'll save my time by not trying to converse with you on him.
Oh you are one of those that thinks paying a high line means the defender needs to be Usain Bolt. Thanks I won't waste my time.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
He's actually helping out the opposition with him taking an eternity prior to passing the ball. Helps the opponents to get in shape. This is on top of his defensive failings. Needs to be put out of his misery and subbed until he remembers how to defend.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Any video of these things? Still haven't voted for my motm yesterday.

VanDeBank

Ma’am

Ah yes, the infamous "carry".

Dribbling forward, predictably passing it to the left back who was available before the dribble, then jogging back.

These stats paint him like some sort of Delay Blind 2.0 when anyone with a single eyeball can see he's technically limited.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Oh you are one of those that thinks paying a high line means the defender needs to be Usain Bolt. Thanks I won't waste my time.
Nah but you also can’t have a defender that gets skinned in every 1v1 if he’s also going to lack pace/agility.

I appreciate the effort you’re putting forth to try and defend him though, it can’t be easy at this point.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Are you Harry his sister? Everything that is posted on this website which isnt overly possitive about your beloved Harry Maguire is directly answered with a ''you are repeating Goldbridge - come up with your own thing''. Youve said it to me, ive seen you say it to others many times and here you do it again. Maybe there is a reason you are the only one with a truly unique opinion concerning Harry Maguire. You might very well be the only one in the world who thinks Harry Maguire is the cream of crop centre back. Open your eyes, watch a game... Maguire has been horrible this season. Ofcourse people will point that out, Goldbridge does it (i guess, since i dont watch him but you keep repeating it), people at this site do it and im sure match going fans will also say he hasnt been good this season. Deal with it without calling everyone a Goldbridge repeater without an own opinion, it isnt that hard to watch him play and form the opinion that he hasnt exactly been good.

Yes, he isnt playing in ideal circumstances this season but even at his very best Harry Maguire has some obvious flaws and is not a world class defender.
Stop quoting Goldberg word for word and come up with your own thoughts and I will stop calling you out for it. Deal?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
It’s a very very weird that you accuse anyone who is critical of Maguire of taking their opinion from Goldbridge.
I don't accuse anyone who is critical of Maguire for taking their opinion from Goldbridge. I accuse those who quote Goldbridge word for word for taking their opinion from him

A-man

What you don’t see in these stats are the quality aspects, like speed on the ball and how many chances we get from passes and carries. I like his long balls to the FBs, which are often with good precision, but it takes so long time for him to pick them, that the opponent has already gathered their defence. His carries normally ends in nothing. If he broke all the seasonal records in progressive plays yesterday, it is strange when I can’t even remember one occasion where it lead to a proper chance.

OL29

I don't accuse anyone who is critical of Maguire for taking their opinion from Goldbridge. I accuse those who quote Goldbridge word for word for taking their opinion from him
The thing is a lot of people just share the same opinion, assuming they heard it from Goldbridge comes across a bit paranoid. It sounds like if anything, you spend too much time listening to him and are now correlating what people say on here to what you hear from him.

NotThatSoph

This is absolutely fascinating.

Another GOldbridge muppet
Wow...that may have been word for word Mark Goldbridge. Have any thoughts of your own?
Stop quoting Goldberg word for word and come up with your own thoughts and I will stop calling you out for it. Deal?
You know exactly what I'm on about. Ever come up with a thought of your own or do you always just repeat whatever Goldbridge tells you
I'm going to type a whole bunch of crap because the longer the argument, the better point I'm making. Blah, blah, blah, blah....sigh

Tell me how many times Maguires speed (or lack there of) has cost us. I will save you the trouble. It hasn't. Stop spouting off whatever crap Goldbridge says and think for yourself. Maguire is in bad form right now. No doubt. But the majority of central defender are big and slow. This "he's too slow" is an argument someone who hasn't played makes. At central defence it's more about power and positioning than speed. Speed is for fullbacks. If you ever played you would know this...
I love how much we under rate our own players but over rate others. Bisouma for example makes .5 key passes per game. Fred makes .9. But all of a sudden Bisouma is this be-all-end-all world beater. But let me guess, Goldbridge embedded it into your brain that he's some world class DM so you just went with it.

Same goes for Rice. Of the two I like Rice better (mind you he will cost a lot more), but people act as if we will all of a sudden switch to a 4-3-3 once either of them sign. Problem is, we don't play a 4-2-3-1 to protect Maguire/Lindelof like Goldbridge told you. We play a 4-2-3-1 because of Bruno.

If we were to play a 4-3-3 all of a sudden there is no place for Bruno because he is a #10, not a #8. So does that mean Bruno goes to the wing? Probably not. What it would really mean is we continue to play a 4-2-3-1 with a new player rotating into the team in place of Matic..
I hear so many people who have been brainwashed by Goldbridge say "We play McFred to protect that centre back pairing". And that is typically followed with "we need one player who can do the job of both midfielder" and that usually leads to a discussion about Declan Rice being that guy. Then throw in "Maguire and Lindelof are too slow' and we have the full trifecta of Goldbridges' agenda brainwashed into the mind of the weak...ugh

Here's the thing....these same people will usually claim Bailly is our best central defender but Ole doesn't trust him because he's injury prone. No doubt he is injury prone, but I don't think that's why Ole doesn't trust him. Positionally Lindelof and maguire are just better. Bailly is an exciting player. He will throw his body at just about anything and makes some big tackles. The thing is, while Bailly is quick to react and throw his body on the line, Magure and Lindelof are already in that position.

"But Maguire and Lindelof are too slow"....ugh....speed is soooo overrated as a central defender, especially in todays game where strikers are typically target men, not speed merchants. The speed merchants are on the wings, and that's our FB's guy to mark. Slow FB's would definitely be a huge problem. I can also count on one hand the amount of times that speed (or lack there of) has cost us a goal. And before anyone says "Tottenham last year", that wasn't caused because of speed. It was caused because Maguire got caught flat footed. A mistake that rarely happens with him (and De Gea should have saved anyways).

But i get it. People want us to play like City (I just threw up a little). And they say "we sit too deep with Maguire and Lindelof but play higher up the pitch with Bailly or Tuanzebe"...For this I call BS. We don't play any higher or lower. Magure and Lindelof are constantly in our opponents half with a good 60 yards between them and our goal. So how much higher do you want them to play? Again, more of Goldbridge's brainwashing.

The other thing is, people seem to think that if we got Declan Rice all of a sudden we'd be playing a 4-3-3 instead of a 4-2-3-1. Questiion? What formation do West Ham play? That's right, a 4-2-3-1 with Soucek along side Rice.

But let's pretend for a second that Rice came in the summer and Ole did switch to a 4-3-3. What does he now do with Bruno? Hate to break it to you folks, but Bruno is NOT a #8. He is a #10. Perhaps he can be taught to be a little more disciplined, but as it is now, he's basically in a free role. that's why we see him chasing down central defenders. You can't have a #8 doing that. it would put everyone out of position. So if we are now playing that 4-3-3 I guess Bruno plays on the wing?

Bottom line is that while I would like an upgrade on Lindelof, their partnership is actually pretty damn good. look at our games vs the big 6 this year. We have allowed 2 goals against with maguire/lindelof partnership and that includes shutting down the best offense in the league not once, but twice. But what about the 6-1 loss to Tottenham you ask? You better check to see who Maguire's partner was for that one...
You see, Mark Goldbridge has this thing where he says the same things over and over again to spread his agenda, and as an influencer, weak minded people start repeating what he says. I see his influence all over this website. Amazing how some of these muppets actually think they're thinking for them selves...
I love it when people watch Goldbridge, get brainwashed by him, then repeat what he says on here. The best part is they think they are coming up with these ideas all on their own and don't even realize that they are nothing but muppets...
Wow, can you quote Goldbridge some more? How about coming up with a thought of your own. Just like him, you are scapegoating him. Sure, the Tottenham game was a gong show by everyone (he was paired with Bailly) but this whole ideal that "he plays better with Bailly" isn't actually true. I like the idea of him playing with Bailly, but in all our "big 6 matches" that we allowed a total of 1 goal against, who was his partner? Bailly or Lindelof? I know, I know, this is the part where you truly embrace your inner Goldbridge and say "yeah, but we have two DM's to protect them" as you think you're coming up with that all on your own. It's called a 4-2-3-1. It's the formation we play. Do you want Bruno to start? Then he plays in the #10. That means guess what? Two players behind him. But go on...claim to not follow Goldbridge. That would be funny...
You're another Goldbridge muppet aren't you? This "we defend too deep" crap is just that. Crap. We are constantly holding a high line but drop off as our opponent gets possession in our end. This doesn't change whether it's Lindelof and Maguire, Bailly and Maguire or Bailly and Lindelof. Goldbridge has an agenda and looks for excuses. Just like how he always moans about "2 defensive midfielders protecting our back 4". We just got a clean sheet against Chelsea and we were NOT sitting deep. We were well at them with our FB's constantly overlapping and McFred in and around their 18. It's all agenda. I'd like to see a different partner for Maguire, but if I had a nickel for every time Maguire's pace cost us a goal, I'd have about 15 cents. His lack of pace is quite possibly the most over exaggerated problem that we have ever had.
Come up with a thought of your own rather than repeating Goldbridge's agenda. back 6? Not quite. When we are in possession McTominay and Fred are constantly around their 18 and our two centre halves are well inside half holding a high line. Shaw and AWB were constantly overlapping and getting deep. Don't listen to what Mr Agenda tells you. Think for yourself. Maguire had 2 tackles, 1 clearance and 5 interceptions today and was a key factor in keeping a clean sheet vs Chelsea. Solid 7.5/10 performance today...

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
He’s always on with the excuses and hard luck stories whenever he speaks to the media. He’s whining on the pitch all the time too. He should be playing for United, never mind being captain. How do you get rid of him though? His real value isn’t half of what he cost.

AFC NimbleThumb

What can a poster say about Maguire that you haven’t heard Goldbridge say that you’ll accept as a criticism?

It’s rather easy to respond to any poster saying ‘you’re quoting X word for word’ without engaging with the topic at hand, it’s not a particularly good faith approach though.

Giggsy13

I wonder what the progressive pass and carry stats were for Rio, Vidic and Stam…oh right no one fecking cares because they could actually defend, which is what Maguire has shown he can’t do at an elite level.

Status
Not open for further replies.