Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_toad

Why and what exactly is embarrassing in opinion that Varane, Lindelof and Bailly are better than Maguire (no matter is it true or not)?
He’s not our worst defender, last season he was our best central defender. He’s simply out of form and should be getting support from the fans. But seems like sticking the boot in is the order of the day. I find it embarrassing, as it is.

Ixion

He wasn't on long enough to judge really, he gave the ball away a couple of times but he's been out so rustiness is expected. I would persist with Varane Lindelof as it's important to develop a consistent CB pairing but switching to a back 3 and using Maguire makes sense, or for rotation until he makes himself undroppable.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Language barrier was the point.
The captain is supposed to be the most vocal on the pitch not a few words and finger pointing.
And say what?

What needs to be said on a football pitch? I mean seriously besides:

Man on
Time
Left shoulder/Right shoulder
Your man
Follow him
Quicker
Slow
Better
Now
Give it
Cover me
Out
Go ball

I feel like you guys believe you need to have a Stephen Fry grasp of the English language to be captain. He was able to speak English, just didn't want to be interviewed live after a game.

Pintu

Of course he is no Ferdinand but still a decent defender. And it certainly wasn't his fault that the incompetent board paid an absurd 80 M for him.

Lentwood

I think it's clear that the likes of Maguire and AWB are never going to be accepted by a percentage of our online fanbase because they are tarred with the Solsksjaer brush.

Basically, if you were opposed to the appointment of Solskjaer as manager, you dogmatically stick to rubbishing everything he did or was part of at the club.

The hyperbole is ridiculous. We are talking about a man widely considered England's best CB. The team has had huge issues this year with structure and style, and it's had a negative impact on every individual.

Ixion

I think it's clear that the likes of Maguire and AWB are never going to be accepted by a percentage of our online fanbase because they are tarred with the Solsksjaer brush.

Basically, if you were opposed to the appointment of Solskjaer as manager, you dogmatically stick to rubbishing everything he did or was part of at the club.

The hyperbole is ridiculous. We are talking about a man widely considered England's best CB. The team has had huge issues this year with structure and style, and it's had a negative impact on every individual.
Bruno doesn't get tarred with the same brush.

KennyBurner

He isn’t accepted by a large majority of the fan base because of his limitations. I remember when we paid 80 million for him I was under the impression he was going to solve our buildup from the back. After 2 season now it’s clear he doesn’t really excel at that. Even worse he takes ages to turn and pass the ball quickly.

let’s also not forget we can’t play a high line because he isn’t comfortable chasing the ball with an attacker right behind him. This transfer has been a disaster for the money spent. A tactical disaster for any manager that comes in after Ole.

Varane was signed to replace Lindelof but actually he's more suited to replacing Maguire. Maguire is not a bad defender, but Varane is world class, and the difference in how they play was marked yesterday. Varane was composed and assured where Maguire was frantic, booting the ball under pressure.

youngrell

It was pretty obvious that Brentford were going to put in even more high balls in the closing minutes so it was the right call to get him on for that.

Another poor showing with the ball at his feet though. He’s not at it at all since the summer.

Jaap

He had an atrocious cameo. Mind, defensively, we hardly looked solid but I‘m more relaxed having Lindelöf & Varane at the back.

OmarUnited4ever

His time on the bench can be one of 2 things.
1- get back together mentally and regain his position through hard work in training and good performances when given game time.
2- eventual exit from the club.

it’s him who needs to show he is worth being part of the starting 11. Respect to Ralf for dropping him
I actually hope this the case, him being dropped, because Rafa & Victor and doing well together, so for now, unless there is an injury or suspension, he sits on the bench until he gets to play when either Rafa & Victor are being rested, or its a cup game where he is given an opportunity to impress.

OmarUnited4ever

He had an atrocious cameo. Mind, defensively, we hardly looked solid but I‘m more relaxed having Lindelöf & Varane at the back.
agree with this, but probably the one value he brought was being an extra body in the box to make it difficult for Brentford, that's about it.

yamo123x

Dont think he is finished here.

In horrible form this season, but he still has a big role to play. Taking captaincy off him may be the right thing.

A good proven CDM like Rice will make a huge difference to this team, and a huge difference to Maguire.

Zouma and Ogbona were made to look like world beaters before their injury....
Now Dawson and Diop are the same..Yes Moyes is good coaching defensive units but its no co-incidence Rice is in front of both partnerships.

Corridor of Uncertainty

Dont think he is finished here.

In horrible form this season, but he still has a big role to play. Taking captaincy off him may be the right thing.

A good proven CDM like Rice will make a huge difference to this team, and a huge difference to Maguire.

Zouma and Ogbona were made to look like world beaters before their injury....
Now Dawson and Diop are the same..Yes Moyes is good coaching defensive units but its no co-incidence Rice is in front of both partnerships.
And for England too.

tomaldinho1

Good CB, nothing more nothing less. issue is the £80m price tag which isn't his fault.

Might be what he needs to be honest, to be 3rd choice and fight his way back in (if he can) because Lindelof/Varane looks a lot more balanced right now. Let the lad get out of the spotlight and regain some confidence.

As always it's the conundrum of DDG behind as well, put a sweeper keeper in there and Maguire's biggest weakness vanishes but we obviously don't trust/rate Henderson

Lentwood

He isn’t accepted by a large majority of the fan base because of his limitations. I remember when we paid 80 million for him I was under the impression he was going to solve our buildup from the back. After 2 season now it’s clear he doesn’t really excel at that. Even worse he takes ages to turn and pass the ball quickly.

let’s also not forget we can’t play a high line because he isn’t comfortable chasing the ball with an attacker right behind him. This transfer has been a disaster for the money spent. A tactical disaster for any manager that comes in after Ole.
Those are your opinions though. I would say Maguire is excellent at progressive passing and we'll see more evidence of this when we actually have some structure in our attacking play.

I also don't buy the point about not being able to play a high-line because of Maguire. England manage to do it fine, granted, it's not a ludicrously high-line like Liverpool, but it's definitely in the 'high-line/progressive football' category.

All I am saying is this - let's have a bit of an amnesty and give every player 6-12 months to show what they can do under a new manager. I think we all accept that Ole's coaching and tactical ideas were somewhat 'lite'.

Marcus

I think he is just going through a really bad patch. He will come good again.

GlasgowCeltic

Baffling to discover there's only a month age difference between him and Varane, these are his prime years

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
He was never brilliant for us :lol:
He had a few good games but brilliant he was never. Not once did i think this guy might be one of the best cb's in the world. NOT ONCE
The way some of you overrate players is just baffling
I can only think some here never witnessed or have forgotten watching the likes of Stam, Rio, and Vidic, and so have lost sight of the standard of CB that we require to achieve what we want.

sukhy

Average defender, doesn't spot danger quick enough, and he's also not fast enough to correct his own mistakes.
Get rid as soon as.

Foxbatt

Exactly. It has got nothing to do with Ole. Bruno, Varane, Cavani were players signed by Ole and fans accept them. Maguire was accepted until he had a meltdown and is now behind Varane and Lindelof in the pecking order. To me even Jones should be in front of him if fit. Probably Bailly too.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
I find it peculiar that he always plays at the left in a back three, for both United and England. I would think the faster and more mobile players would play out wide in such a system, like Kyle Walker at the right. Maguire is no Walker, to put it mildly.

OrcaFat

He was never brilliant for us :lol:
He had a few good games but brilliant he was never. Not once did i think this guy might be one of the best cb's in the world. NOT ONCE
The way some of you overrate players is just baffling
He was brilliant. There were times when he was our best defender and best attacker, running forward and making incisive passes, dragging the whole team forward.

It’s probably true that these performances were the exception rather than the rule. His cumulative mistakes over a long period, mainly when struggling for full fitness (but at other times too) are what people remember and that’s fair enough - we can’t afford to have a cumbersome CB who costs us a lot of chances and goals against.

As for being one of the best CBs in the world, I’m not sure who said that, not me I don’t think. But he is highly rated internationally and gets into UEFA squad of the tournament etc.

He has done some shit things but he is not a shit player. Like I said, getting him back to form won’t be easy.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

Ehm, Bruno? Cavani? Sancho? Varane? Telles?
Maguire and Awb will not be "accepted" because they were awful transfers. Literally we wasted 130 mil on those two.
They are not bad players but they are not good enough for Man Utd (and for any side which want to play attacking football).

ShinjiNinja26

I don’t want him anywhere near the starting 11 at the moment, he’s been terrible. Came on last night to sure things up at 3-0 and we end up looking more shaky. Varane and Lindelof were looking relatively comfortable in the 2nd half until Maguire was thrown into the mix and then the panic and uncertainty sets in.

Rajma

Ehm, Bruno? Cavani? Sancho? Varane? Telles?
Maguire and Awb will not be "accepted" because they were awful transfers. Literally we wasted 130 mil on those two.
They are not bad players but they are not good enough for Man Utd (and for any side which want to play attacking football).
:lol: Why do people have to overcomplicate everything? They’re simply not good enough, nothing to do with the attitude towards Ole.

the chameleon

Also, his overconfidence in himself at the expense of the rest of the team. In any other era, he would be playing for Blackburn Rovers. The biggest mistake Ole made after signing him for £80m was making him a captain.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Ronaldo got booed at Real Madrid - as supporters we need to create an environment where these players (that are paid millions) don't rest on their laurels, cheering them when they're playing crap is one of the many reasons why we're stuck with overpriced and overpaid players.

If these guys can't handle being booed when they're in poor form, then they need to leave, it should really be that simple.

Ideally weak minded players shouldn't be purchased in the first place so the situation where fans boo players don't happen often, sadly our team is full of players that are, and have been playing subpar for years.

Put it simply they've been coddled into this false sense of entitlement where they assume supporters of Manchester United should automatically support them, no matter what, and its attitudes like yours where you're wagging your finger at other supporters for pointing out the obvious that creates this environment.

Obviously one off bad games won't make supporters boo them, but I think many fans have just become fed up of this lot and its difficult to cheer them when it doesn't seem to make a difference.
Being booed is one thing. Getting harrassedand hated is another all together. If Maguire wasn't putting in any effort I'd understand. That's not the case. He's hated on hard. Just check out his instagram...

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Lindelof and Varane should remain as our starters, with Maguire coming when rotation is needed. That should be his role from now on. He came on yesterday and gave two balls away under no/very little pressure. Instead of bringing stability and calm (which I what I assume the sub was for, although I thought it was another poor one), he brings hesitation and uncertainty.

lex talionis

I was thrilled when we got Maguire and he did start off brilliantly. But something has gone wrong with him and he looked anything but a solid presence against Brentford. He’ll come good again, but it’s an open question whether we should sacrifice results by playing him to help him return to form.

Status
Not open for further replies.