Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Longshanks

I said many times; for me David de Gea should be a captain. What Solskjaer did to him was great injustice and bad move.
I know that many disagree with me and have their opinion why not (which i respect) but yeah, Dave should be a captain and Bruno vice captain.

Main 2 reasons against Dave are that gk can't be captain and that Dave is not vocal enough. For me, both those reasons are false.
Many gk were excellent captains (Buffon, Iker, Lloris, Kahn...) and as Keane (i think it was him, don't hold me for this) once said; captain doesn't need to be someone who will yell on players during game or speak with the ref. Captain must be respected in changing room. And Dave has that i think

Actually the main reasons against De gea as captain is that he isnt actually a very good goalkeeper and is actually a big weakpoint in our team.

Trequartistry

I said many times; for me David de Gea should be a captain. What Solskjaer did to him was great injustice and bad move.
I know that many disagree with me and have their opinion why not (which i respect) but yeah, Dave should be a captain and Bruno vice captain.

Main 2 reasons against Dave are that gk can't be captain and that Dave is not vocal enough. For me, both those reasons are false.
Many gk were excellent captains (Buffon, Iker, Lloris, Kahn...) and as Keane (i think it was him, don't hold me for this) once said; captain doesn't need to be someone who will yell on players during game or speak with the ref. Captain must be respected in changing room. And Dave has that i think
Yes let’s make the captain someone who constantly sl*gs of the team at every single opportunity he gets whilst neglecting any responsibility whatsoever, bigs himself up during interviews when talking about his season in general, an absolute baby on the field scared of getting hurt by coming out for crosses or closing down attackers, or for example the way we saw him go down against Arsenal with Smith Rowe scoring. Not to mention that he’s arguably our worst big game player since Fergie left constantly letting us down making costly mistakes in big games

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Yes let’s make the captain someone who constantly sl*gs of the team at every single opportunity he gets whilst neglecting any responsibility whatsoever, bigs himself up during interviews when talking about his season in general, an absolute baby on the field scared of getting hurt by coming out for crosses or closing down attackers, or for example the way we saw him go down against Arsenal with Smith Rowe scoring. Not to mention that he’s arguably our worst big game player since Fergie left constantly letting us down making costly mistakes in big games
This.

Ole didn’t give De Gea the captains arm brand because he knew his weaknesses and bought back Henderson to try prove it.

Lyng

One thing that is weird to me. The amount of posters claiming Maguire's limitations are all his teammates/ managers fault, meanwhile wanting De Gea out because he has limitations.

They are both very limited at what they do and not suited for a progressive system in the long run.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
One thing that is weird to me. The amount of posters claiming Maguire's limitations are all his teammates/ managers fault, meanwhile wanting De Gea out because he has limitations.

They are both very limited at what they do and not suited for a progressive system in the long run.
Going by posts on caf, none of the players (except 1 or 2) are good enough.

De Gea - Limited GK

Dalot/AWB - Poor RBs, one can't pass and other is just awful
Maguire - lacks pace and average CB
Varane - Injury prone but can play in any system.
Shaw - lacks intensity

McTominay - can't pass. not good enough
Fred - He can play but caf is divided
Bruno - Can't retain possession, apparently he plays like this nomatter who the coach is.

Elanga/Rashford - not good enough/doesn't have football IQ
Ronaldo - Can't press and poor hold up play
Sancho - apparently PL is too much for him.

Going by posts on caf, we have to change entire team and squad.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
:lol: :lol:. Your whole post is completely untrue. Especially regarding big games. But if it suits your agenda, keep going.

JB7

Who should be captain instead though?
The only realistic option is Ronaldo if they are looking at changing captain. It's a squad bereft of genuine leadership and Maguire is the next biggest talker and organiser in the team, after Ronaldo.

Looking at the options otherwise, Fernandes has worn the armband more than anyone other than Maguire and I don't think he's exactly done anything to show any benefit in taking it off Maguire to give to him permanently, especially given he's more of a whiner on the pitch than a talker. People always suggest De Gea, god knows why, it's as if they don't watch him, he's a complete mute on the pitch. Varane could be an option but he's spent as much time injured as fit, so would need to prove his fitness first. After that you're down to the likes of Fred, Lindelof, McTominay etc which obviously aren't players you'd pick out as Manchester United captains, which just highlights my initial point about how little leadership there is in the squad.

Trequartistry

:lol: :lol:. Your whole post is completely untrue. Especially regarding big games. But if it suits your agenda, keep going.
it’s a real shame I’m unable to embed tweets however if you were to twitter search ‘Quick thread showcasing De Gea’s world class shotstopping which has saved us from relegation in “one of the best seasons” of his career’ you’d come across a thread with almost all de Gea mistakes this season

And if you was to search ‘A list of De Gea mistakes in big games:’ You’ll come across a list of every de Gea mistake in big games in previous years

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
it’s a real shame I’m unable to embed tweets however if you were to twitter search ‘Quick thread showcasing De Gea’s world class shotstopping which has saved us from relegation in “one of the best seasons” of his career’ you’d come across a thread with almost all de Gea mistakes this season

And if you was to search ‘A list of De Gea mistakes in big games:’ You’ll come across a list of every de Gea mistake in big games in previous years
Sure, sure....

Tavern in the town

There’s also the small matter of him being absolutely shite.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The only realistic option is Ronaldo if they are looking at changing captain. It's a squad bereft of genuine leadership and Maguire is the next biggest talker and organiser in the team, after Ronaldo.

Looking at the options otherwise, Fernandes has worn the armband more than anyone other than Maguire and I don't think he's exactly done anything to show any benefit in taking it off Maguire to give to him permanently, especially given he's more of a whiner on the pitch than a talker. People always suggest De Gea, god knows why, it's as if they don't watch him, he's a complete mute on the pitch. Varane could be an option but he's spent as much time injured as fit, so would need to prove his fitness first. After that you're down to the likes of Fred, Lindelof, McTominay etc which obviously aren't players you'd pick out as Manchester United captains, which just highlights my initial point about how little leadership there is in the squad.
He is but even he comes with his downsides. I think it's just a lazy thing to say 'Maguire shouldn't be captain' when you consider the other options and the difference it will make.

Lyng

He is but even he comes with his downsides. I think it's just a lazy thing to say 'Maguire shouldn't be captain' when you consider the other options and the difference it will make.
Maguire has been an atrocious captain. We have a dressing room with unprecedented amounts of toxicity. This would never had happened under Keane. There might be doubts about the others, but we have at least seen without a shadow of doubt that Harry simply doesnt work in that role.

I really hope he can become a great defender for us, but a captain he isnt.
With how terrible it has gone under his time as captain it is worth giving another player the shot.

JB7

Oh I absolutely agree. Captaincy certainly isn't something I'd have changed mid-season and depending on how the summer goes, maybe isn't something I'd change next season either.

Leftback99

Maguire has been an atrocious captain. We have a dressing room with unprecedented amounts of toxicity. This would never had happened under Keane. There might be doubts about the others, but we have at least seen without a shadow of doubt that Harry simply doesnt work in that role.

I really hope he can become a great defender for us, but a captain he isnt.
With how terrible it has gone under his time as captain it is worth giving another player the shot.
Saying it wouldn't happen under Keane is irrelevant. That team had 6/7 players who would all be better captains than anything we have now.

As I said before, let the players pick and then the players (and fans) can stop whining about it.

OmarUnited4ever

Was there ever a player who was appointed as the club's captain who was then stripped of the armband and still remained to play with the same club?

I can only remember Xhaka, but his situation was bit special as he flipped the fans, I can't remember anyone else

Lyng

Saying it wouldn't happen under Keane is irrelevant. That team had 6/7 players who would all be better captains than anything we have now.

As I said before, let the players pick and then the players (and fans) can stop whining about it.
It is not. it is a clear sign our standards have fallen way below, when we simply accept a captain despite his reign being terrible.

Leftback99

It is not. it is a clear sign our standards have fallen way below, when we simply accept a captain despite his reign being terrible.
Yes, it's all down to Maguire being captain :lol:

Lyng

Yes, it's all down to Maguire being captain :lol:
Please find a post where I said anything like that.
Would you like us to keep Rangnick instead of Ten Hag? Should we persist with McFred in midfield. De Gea in goal? Lindelöf as a starting defender?

Things that dont work should be changed. That goes for the captaincy as well.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

It's still wrong, your initial post was " Not to mention that he’s arguably our worst big game player since Fergie left constantly letting us down making costly mistakes in big games " If anything, he is our consistent player in big games making lot of saves.

Him being a poor allround keeper doesn't change his performance in big games.

Based Adnan

Several journos like Whitwell, Wheeler and Ogden have said a bunch of senior players approached Rangnick that his style wasn't working and the tactics needed to change. What does it say about the captain of the team that he wasn't involved in this discussion?

Leftback99

Please find a post where I said anything like that.
Would you like us to keep Rangnick instead of Ten Hag? Should we persist with McFred in midfield. De Gea in goal? Lindelöf as a starting defender?

Things that dont work should be changed. That goes for the captaincy as well.
I've said change it for me. Any captains reign would have been terrible this season. Just like performances of the team we're still terrible when Maguire didn't play, another theory on here proved to be nonsense.

Lyng

I've said change it for me. Any captains reign would have been terrible this season. Just like performances of the team we're still terrible when Maguire didn't play, another theory on here proved to be nonsense.
You could use that defence for anything. Any manager had been terrible as interim, any goalkeeper would be terrible in this team, etc etc.

phelans shorts

Several journos like Whitwell, Wheeler and Ogden have said a bunch of senior players approached Rangnick that his style wasn't working and the tactics needed to change. What does it say about the captain of the team that he wasn't involved in this discussion?
Who said he wasn’t? He himself is without doubt a senior player.

Leftback99

You could use that defence for anything. Any manager had been terrible as interim, any goalkeeper would be terrible in this team, etc etc.
Not really. We're talking about a captains armband taken from Ashley Young. Irrelevant in the grand scheme.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Maguire was most likely one of those senior players who confronted Rangnick.

Did any of the articles imply that he wasn't involved?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The players were Ronaldo, Varane, Pogba and Fernandes according to the articles.
If that's true, then we have to question how those journos came by that information. I can't imagine it was Ralf who told them, so it has to be one of the four mentioned above. Which also puts them in the frame for being one of the dressing room leakers.

My money's on Pogba.

Lyng

If that's true, then we have to question how those journos came by that information. I can't imagine it was Ralf who told them, so it has to be one of the four mentioned above. Which also puts them in the frame for being one of the dressing room leakers.

My money's on Pogba.
Even if that was true, it doesnt really contradict Based Adnan's point...

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
My unpopular prediction for your next season is that Maguire will be much improved and will have a good season

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Even if that was true, it doesnt really contradict Based Adnan's point...
No, it doesn't in fairness.

Given what we've heard about our players this season, it doesn't surprise me that a selection of them are arrogant enough to directly question the manager's style of play and tactical approach, implying they know better. With their combined wealth of tactical knowledge gained through years of managing at the highest level of the game, maybe they do. Or maybe they know feck all, and should just shut the feck up and get on with it :p

The clearout can't come soon enough.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male

Thing is, Maguire has shown plenty of times throughout his career that he is (or can be) a very good defender. Not the world class, VVD sort of bracket, but still very good.

De Gea has never really shown himself to be anything but a world class shot stopper. Fair play to him - he has saved us many times over the years, but for me thats part of the issue in itself. If you are constantly requiring the GK to bail you out by making great saves, it means you are conceding too many chances and not playing well enough as a team. Some of this, DDG brings upon himself by not coming out or claiming high balls/commanding his area well enough - its like the old Terry vs Rio debate, one of them made brilliant last ditch tackles (read: saves), the other didnt need to because they snuffed out the danger in advance. Right now we have a John Terry in goal who is constantly required to make great saves.

Going back to Maguire since this is his thread not DDGs, I think Maguire is more than capable of playing in a top quality side, progressive side. If you put him in Man City I think he would look good, because (when his confidence isnt shot) he is good on the ball, good in the air, and good at snuffing out danger; put a sweeper keeper behind him so he doesnt get caught out for lack of pace so much, and you have a good starting point. Maguire's worst time at the club (namely this season) has coincided with the team being at its most dysfunctional; he performs better in a progressive, confident team. You could make this argument for almost any player, but I think it is more pronounced with Maguire and the other defenders because their job is naturally more reactionary, and in order to play progressively they need the players in front of them to be doing something.

That said, I dont think he should be captain, not the right personality for it.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Was there ever a player who was appointed as the club's captain who was then stripped of the armband and still remained to play with the same club?

I can only remember Xhaka, but his situation was bit special as he flipped the fans, I can't remember anyone else
It happens sometimes. Conte at Juventus for example — he was their captain for multiple seasons before they gave the armband to Del Piero and Conte remained at the club for 3 or 4 seasons after that.

Gallas was stripped of his Arsenal captainship in the middle of 2008/09 season but remained at Arsenal until the end of his contract in 2010 (before completing yet another move to his club's local rivals).

Apokalips

My money's on Pogba.
If anything it is more likely to be one of the players that were not involved that leaked it.

I also can't imagine Pogba would leak anything to British press, who rarely have anything positive to say about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.