Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AFC NimbleThumb

As i suspected, sadly :(

Better hope he finds his form again fast. At least he and Lindelof are coming into a team with lots of confidence, good form and a small Argentinian pitbull beside them at the back :devil:. Casemiro is also a huge benefit.
Fortunately it’s what, 5/6 games between now & the World Cup? Hopefully he’ll be back after that.

Not sure he gets back in if Lindelof stays fit though as EtH tends to prefer consistency.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Think this is a now or never situation for Maguire.

Despite the memes, there is a top CB in there. Hopefully being dropped will push him on. Hoping its a Shaw situation where, when there's competition he ups his game. United need him to with varane out and he needs to for himself.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Despite the memes, there is a top CB in there. Hopefully being dropped will push him on. Hoping its a Shaw situation where, when there's competition he ups his game. United need him to with varane out and he needs to for himself.
United need him to leave because we want to play higher up the pitch and he lacks the agility.
Even in his best form he is the wrong profile (similar issue with Ronaldo)

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
United need him to leave because we want to play higher up the pitch and he lacks the agility.
His pace is an issue but when he's confident, he's fantastic playing out from the back.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
His pace is an issue but when he's confident, he's fantastic playing out from the back.
I didn’t even mention his pace, agility is his main issue.
Not fantastic at all on the ball, hes competent to good. Hes no where near someone like VVD or Martinez even when confident.
The main issue though is his ability to defend when we are pushing up the pitch, which Ole attempted to do last season and broke him. Its not just about his pace alone

Chief123

I fully expect him to return to the team and for us to look disorganised and chaotic followed by his fans finding every excuse to suggest it was another players fault other than Maguire’s.

Bondi77

Looking fit in the training pics so hopefully he will be ready to step back into the team.
Now Lisandro has the LCB spot nailed down I think it won't be long before Harry gets in front of Lindelof for the RCB spot until Varane gets back.

AFC NimbleThumb

‘top’ is a rather vague descriptive.

ants7

Don't want to see him anywhere near the squad and would rather we had kept Bailley instead. Maguire is slow, very prone to mistakes, visibly lacks the ability to read/scan the game. I think we have seen enough of him to know that he is not up to this level and never has been.

Red00012

I fully expect him to return to the team and for us to look disorganised and chaotic followed by his fans finding every excuse to suggest it was another players fault other than Maguire’s.
All he gets is abuse

hobbers

I'll allow playing him against Sheriff and in the league cup against Villa. That's enough gametime to get him back in shape for England.

Lindelof can have the other 4 games.

Stadjer

If Maguire comes in the team, that also has Martinez and Casemiro in it, and all of a sudden the team looks disorganised and chaotic. In that situation surely not even Maguire his greatest fan can blame it on anyone else than Maguire?

If i wasnt afraid of Maguire coming back into the team i would be curious to see how Maguire would look in the current setup. Martinez next to him and Casemiro in front of him should help him. I am afraid of Maguire coming back in the team though...

croadyman

Yeah his lack of agility is what concerns me the most when covering Varane over next few weeks

Strelok

ETH’s first real test: can he make a modern CB out of Maguire?
Maguire is a modern CB. Just not suit for a team with a high line.

The difference between a traditional and modern CB is mostly the on the ball part. Smalling was fecking rapid but shit on the ball. He's an example of a traditional CB whose job is only to defend. Maguire is actually quite decent with his touch and passing. His problem is both his legs and brain are too slow to play in a high line high tempo game. ETH might fix the brain part but the legs are simply impossible to fix.

Last edited:

Amarsdd

think he'll look decent with Casemiro screening and a good pressing structure in front of him. The midfield vanishing esp. during the defensive transitions had been the biggest problem for our defense for a bit.

A-man

I’m pretty sure ETH will give him a game or two, for him to be prepared for the WC.

captain666

No chance Maguire is capable of changing his game,bench is the best he should hope for.Even Harry must see how much better we are without him,time to move him on.

Chief123

If Maguire comes in the team, that also has Martinez and Casemiro in it, and all of a sudden the team looks disorganised and chaotic. In that situation surely not even Maguire his greatest fan can blame it on anyone else than Maguire?
You just need to go through this thread and see the wonderful creativity in trying to defend him. They’ll find a way.

romufc

If i wasnt afraid of Maguire coming back into the team i would be curious to see how Maguire would look in the current setup. Martinez next to him and Casemiro in front of him should help him. I am afraid of Maguire coming back in the team though...
Its surely going to be interesting to see how we react as a team to when Maguire is back in the team.

Now that Varane is injured, I expect him to get minutes considering we play West Ham who are a big team.

I am worried because he just seems to panic on the pitch, at the moment we look so calm building out and defending, Maguire gives me panic in both.

Chief123

Its surely going to be interesting to see how we react as a team to when Maguire is back in the team.

Now that Varane is injured, I expect him to get minutes considering we play West Ham who are a big team.

I am worried because he just seems to panic on the pitch, at the moment we look so calm building out and defending, Maguire gives me panic in both.
What I am interested to see is whether he gets pressed as much as he was before. I’ve noticed teams in recent weeks don’t press us as much now as we seem to be able to break the press comfortably. Largely down to Casemiro, Varane, Eriksen and Martinez all being comfortable on the ball.

Will be interested to see if Maguire is still targeted by teams to be pressed.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I dont think he plays ahead of Lindelof in ten hag's eyes

The1974s

I think Martinez has put that myth firmly to bed that Maguire is good at playing out from the back .
He isn't and as soon as he comes Into this team United will start losing again.
He's Woefully out of his depth trying to play in any progressive back line

talking robot

I think we should play him as a sub tomorrow and in the league cup against Villa, then occasionally until the world cup. Its in our interests for him to shine at the WC so we have at least some chance of selling him on. I pray that we are smart enough to realize that it’s time to cut our losses with him and take what we can get on the transfer market.

Status
Not open for further replies.