Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiber

Its all a bit patronising when talking about one of the most expensive players in the history of the sport, but he did play well today

Anustart89

Last 9 games Harry has started we are now 9-0-0 with only 3 goals against and 6 clean sheets
That's great. How about when he gets subbed on at half time? Not knocking his recent performances but you've picked a stat that conveniently leaves out what you don't want to highlight.

Doracle

That's great. How about when he gets subbed on at half time? Not knocking his recent performances but you've picked a stat that conveniently leaves out what you don't want to highlight.
Are you trying to make a point about the Sevilla match, where he was excellent? Seems an odd one to call out.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I went with starts. If you'd like to pick all his appearances, no problem. Since the world cup we are 16-2-0 when Harry has played. Or do you just want to pick out one game out of all these and at the same time accuse me of picking stats that suit an agenda??

AndySmith1990

Player performance threads for mediocre players go around and around in circles. All is forgotten as soon as they have one or two "decent" performances. I hope Ten Hag is more ruthless when deciding to replace players otherwise we can keep dreaming about ever winning the two major trophies again

humdinger

Horrible start to the match but fair fecks to him for getting his head out his arse and going on to have a pretty good game.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Sadler my man, it's ok.

You like him, you keep defending him.

He's utter trash, no amount of stats can change that.
He's nowhere near my favourite player. I just don't like seeing him scapegoated so much. It's as if some of our fans want to see him do poorly so they just go looking for it. I'm just posting the actually facts...

DickDastardly

He's nowhere near my favourite player. I just don't like seeing him scapegoated so much. It's as if some of our fans want to see him do poorly so they just go looking for it. I'm just posting the actually facts...
Facts? You mean stats?

Cos facts ain't that.
Him starting and the fact we're 9-0 with him are just that, stats.

Cos that stat has nothing to do with him.

He's still the weakest link in the team.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
What is comfortable for Martinez and Varane is chaotic and last gasp for Maguire.

Forest played a nothing ball down his channel in the first half and since he is so slow he had to run for his life and stretch a leg out for it, conceding a corner. Varane or Martinez pick up that ball comfortably and take it out of defence.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Last 9 games Harry has started we are now 9-0-0 with only 3 goals against and 6 clean sheets
And the teams we played against were good right?
Nottingham Forest - 18th
Everton -16th
Leeds - 14th
Bournemouth - 15th
West Ham - 13th

barely played vs Soton, Palace, City, Wolves and Forest

It's like arguing last year with some people saying how great of a season Mason Mount had when he was stat padding against the bottom 5 in the EPL

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Can’t recall a player needing a fresh start as much as Maguire in my life. Bereft of any sort of confidence. That first fifteen minutes is not what he is about.

He clawed it back a little, in fairness.
Honestly, it feels like everyone in the stadium is just waiting for him to make a mistake whenever he plays. Just a level of nervousness that probably won’t ever go away here

Dve

Didn't succeed in any of his attempts at scoring an own goal, and after the first 15 shaky minutes, he did everything right. It's hard for strikers to keep the ball up, facing their own goal and having Maguire on their shoulders. That a qualify of his game that is a bit overlooked.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Didn't succeed in any of his attempts at scoring an own goal, and after the first 15 shaky minutes, he did everything right. It's hard for strikers to keep the ball up, facing their own goal and having Maguire on their shoulders. That a qualify of this game that is a bit overlooked.
Agreed. He's quite aggressive on his marking today. Good passes, and he won many headings as well.

A-man

Horrible start to the match but fair fecks to him for getting his head out his arse and going on to have a pretty good game.
Going from that horrible and nervous start to an overall good performance was very impressive.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
It's not just how slow he is running in a straight line from A to B. Lots of brilliant defenders haven't had blistering pace in a foot race, but were still able to react quickly to the play around them.

As well as obviously slow at running, Maguire's reactions are also hypnotically slow. Any kind of clever sideways movement or shimmy by an attacking player, and Maguire is out of the game and often ends up having to f**king rugby tackle someone!

Did ok today after a shaky start, but Forest are one of the worst teams in the league. If he gets booked after 2 minutes v Brighton, he ain't seeing out the end of that game with the likes of Mitoma running at him all day!
He's suspended for the Brighton game

Doracle

So that’s now the 3rd or 4th time in recent games that he as a defender played the whole game after an early yellow, but Bruno and Antony as attackers weren’t trusted to finish the game against Sevilla. Sevilla are an annoying team but still a bit weird.
The ref apparently warned ETH that Bruno and Antony were treading a thin line.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Nottingham Forest - 18th
Everton -16th
Leeds - 14th
Bournemouth - 15th
West Ham - 13th

It's like arguing last year with some people saying how great of a season Mason Mount had when he was stat padding against the bottom 5 in the EPL
Stat padding is how you win the league. Our bête noir for years and years has been dropping points against relegation fodder.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
So, a decent performance, yet again.

But he is definitely the problem....etc etc

The Hilton

He gets far more stick than he deserves, having become a bit of a meme, and some of our fans are the worst for it - just look at the wild hyperbole in this thread, the criticism goes way over the top.

Realistically, he probably needs a change of scenery to get out of the limelight a little bit - he looked a bundle of nerves for the first 20 mins or so today, which could have cost us. Without the nerves, which probably means without the pressure that comes with wearing a United shirt, he'd be a good player, probably a level or two below the top centre backs around at the moment, but that's still a high ceiling.

BorisManUtd

Martinez out for the remainder of the season
Varane out until early/mid May
Shaw still out

He’s got the chance to sell himself to a decent PL club from now until the end of the season. Though he’ll probably end up at a decent PL side regardless of how he does over the next month and a half. But would be nice if Maguire can end his United career on a high and in good fashion.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
The ref apparently warned ETH that Bruno and Antony were treading a thin line.
I know, still weird. I find it weird that the ref warned about it and I also find it weird that ETH as a result subbed them off instead of calming them / telling them to calm down.

You see many players on yellow cards in many important games and usually they manage to still finish the game.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Nottingham Forest - 18th
Everton -16th
Leeds - 14th
Bournemouth - 15th
West Ham - 13th

First off, I'm not trying to argue that Maguire should be starting. I'm just stating the facts that it's not all doom and gloom and that our fans should stop trying to scapegoat Harry. Mind you, I see that you brought up Leeds. Tell me. What was the result when we played them a couple days earlier?

criticalanalysis

I know, still weird. I find it weird that the ref warned about it and I also find it weird that ETH as a result subbed them off instead of calming them / telling them to calm down.

You see many players on yellow cards in many important games and usually they manage to still finish the game.
Considering how inconsistent the ref was with his cards/judgement AND the fact he warned ETH, I think it would have been stupid from the manager if he didn't listen and act on it.

Although separately I do agree ETH has to manage the tempo/his players in game more.

Mmm-Qatarian

Facts? You mean stats?

Cos facts ain't that.
Him starting and the fact we're 9-0 with him are just that, stats.

Cos that stat has nothing to do with him.

He's still the weakest link in the team.
When the moron brigade are consistently trotting out the "hurr durr, Harry Maguire is in the team; we're definitely going to lose" line, I think it's more than valid to point out that our record with him starting has, of late, actually been rather exemplary.

Sylar

He did.... okish? Its hard to say cos his start was atrocious, he was a nervous wreck, an early yellow, passing the ball out of play under no real pressure, could have given a penalty away on another day, i think he hit the post as well from a corner (although it might have come of the attackers hand?).

He did grow into the game but I think that was also because the opposition stopped attacking him down the wings and ran out of steam. A top half team could have hurt him and us today. We will see as we have an important set of games coming up and we will need him (well not fa cup cos hes suspended).

Mmm-Qatarian

There's no point trying to reason with some of these lot mate. Seeing the way they talk I'm convinced Maguire's fecked their missus.

Chief123

I went with starts. If you'd like to pick all his appearances, no problem. Since the world cup we are 16-2-0 when Harry has played. Or do you just want to pick out one game out of all these and at the same time accuse me of picking stats that suit an agenda??
He’s so good that’s why we’re looking to ship him out in the summer. But Sadler from redcafe things everyone is wrong on this guy.

I’m sure Varane and Martinez would have just as impressive record if they didn’t have to play against the likes of Man City, Liverpool, Newcastle and Arsenal.

There’s a very good reason Maguire is no longer a first choice defender.

Mmm-Qatarian

He’s so good that’s why we’re looking to ship him out in the summer. But Sadler from redcafe things everyone is wrong on this guy.

I’m sure Varane and Martinez would have just as impressive record if they didn’t have to play against the likes of Man City, Liverpool, Newcastle and Arsenal.

There’s a very good reason Maguire is no longer a first choice defender.
Not the point he was making but OK...

Mmm-Qatarian

It’s the point I’m making. Presenting useless stats without context brings nothing to the debate.
I mean I'd usually agree, actually. However, considering a lot of fans bring up Maguire's presence on the team sheet like it's some death rattle for the side, surely guaranteeing a defeat, I think it's quite pertinent to bring up that our performances with him in the team have actually been rather good recently.

It's just tiresome how last season, when the whole side was shite, it was apparently entirely reasonable to make Maguire the scapegoat. However, when he's involved in a winning run this season and the team is playing well, suddenly he has nothing to do with it and it's all coincidence.

But @SadlerMUFC is probably wasting his time with stats anyway. There's no use reasoning with people like that. They'd sooner sell their soul to Satan than admit that Maguire might have had any positive role in the side.

Chief123

I mean I'd usually agree, actually. However, considering a lot of fans bring up Maguire's presence on the team sheet like it's some death rattle for the side, surely guaranteeing a defeat, I think it's quite pertinent to bring up that our performances with him in the team have actually been rather good recently.

It's just tiresome how last season, when the whole side was shite, it was apparently entirely reasonable to make Maguire the scapegoat. However, when he's involved in a winning run this season and the team is playing well, suddenly he has nothing to do with it and it's all coincidence.

But @SadlerMUFC is probably wasting his time with stats anyway. There's no use reasoning with people like that. They'd sooner sell their soul to Satan than admit that Maguire might have had any positive role in the side.
But presenting stats which mean absolutely nothing without presenting the context with it is pointless and partly mischievous.

When you add the context there’s nothing outstanding behind the stats and nothing to change the fact we are right to try and ship him out in the summer.

Maguire has played 7 full premier league games this season.

Brighton Home - Lost
Brentford away - Lost
West Ham home - won
Bournemouth home - won
Leeds away - won
Everton home - won
Forest away - won

The stat doesn’t look as impressive when he’s playing against teams rooted to the bottom of the league fighting relegation. Varane, Martinez, Lindelof all would match if not better those stats playing against those teams.

Like I said we can all see clearly why he doesn’t take part in the tough games.

Mmm-Qatarian

But presenting stats which mean absolutely nothing without presenting the context with it is pointless and partly mischievous.

When you add the context there’s nothing outstanding behind the stats and nothing to change the fact we are right to try and ship him out in the summer.

Maguire has played 7 full premier league games this season.

Brighton Home - Lost
Brentford away - Lost
West Ham home - won
Bournemouth home - won
Leeds away - won
Everton home - won
Forest away - won

The stat doesn’t look as impressive when he’s playing against teams rooted to the bottom of the league fighting relegation. Varane, Martinez, Lindelof all would match if not better those stats playing against those teams.

Like I said we can all see clearly why he doesn’t take part in the tough games.
I wouldn't argue that Maguire deserves to be starting more games either. I'd sell him in the summer if we got the right price.

I just think it's a bit ridiculous that he receives absolute dog's abuse week in week out, including from many in our own fanbase, when his performances this season have largely been alright. Nothing spectacular, but alright nonetheless. And that is supported by that statistic. Sure, the teams he's faced have been lower league sides, but the way people talk about him you'd think he's just been catastrophically bad all season.

Status
Not open for further replies.