Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
It's rich you saying trump level when you are the one who deleted part of my post, like peddling fake news :lol:

Next time when you quote someone, quote the entire sentence, what what you like, like some tabloid shit.
All I did was quote the words you wrote.

Next time maybe just don't post something if you then need to back track on it the very next post?

Just a thought.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
All I did was quote the words you wrote.

Next time maybe just don't post something if you then need to back track on it the very next post?

Just a thought.
Or maybe you can quote entire post or sentence, instead of acting like a tabloid merchant?

Just a thought, I mean it's not hard.

Champ

Or maybe you can quote entire post or sentence, instead of acting like a tabloid merchant?

Just a thought, I mean it's not hard.
:lol:

Right you are.

HE was playing bad every game and still was in the team, or lets say significantly more bad games than good games.

face it, you've had a mare, what with another poster calling you out for misquoting as well.

Back to the topic.

Here's hoping Maguire can carry his pre season form over to the start of the new season though, I am sure with a proper structure to the team he will be back to the player we brought from Leicester.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
:lol:

Right you are.

HE was playing bad every game and still was in the team, or lets say significantly more bad games than good games.

face it, you've had a mare, what with another poster calling you out for misquoting as well.

Back to the topic.

Here's hoping Maguire can carry his pre season form over to the start of the new season though, I am sure with a proper structure to the team he will be back to the player we brought from Leicester.
So you missed all the part that said after "OR"

I hope you know what "And' , "Or" means.

Oh the other person :lol:

Face it, you are just like tabloid nonsense, delete part of posts.

Champ

So you missed all the part that said after "OR"

I hope you know what "And' , "Or" means.

Oh the other person :lol:

Face it, you are just like tabloid nonsense, delete part of posts.
I can tell I've hit a nerve here. :drool:

Doubling down on a mistake doesn't lead to it going away unfortunately.

As you were. :)

Olecurls99

I agree with the bolded part, but my point has always been - IF the problem is Maguire (as some people say/think) then why don't we improve with other combinations? Why do we in-fact get worse?

If you look at our CBs objectively, we have Maguire (England regular), Varane (France regular), Lindelof (Swedish captain/regular), Bailly (Ivory Coast regular) and even Jones and Tuanzebe, who are not mugs.

I can't believe that they are ALL bad. You look at some of the CBs playing week-in, week-out who are nowhere near their level of talent or experience and they do fine.

I firmly believe we've given our CBs an impossible job at times. We've asked them to play high and be aggressive but our press has been non-existent and our structure is a shambles, so it's no wonder none of them have looked good!
All fair points

mctrials23

Is that really the justification that a club like Man United should be using for team selection, especially when they're aiming to get back on top? Look at how ruthless City have been in chopping and changing to improve their squad. They don't 'make do' or wait for years. They just move players on and go again.

United's undoing has been persevering with average and less than average players like Maguire for too long instead of being ruthless in the market. If Maguire is as good as some are claiming on here, we would have no problem moving him on.
Its not but its a bit like the argument against DDG. When you have so many more pressing issues to fix, there is little point in trying to fix the smaller ones first if they are going to be expensive. Maguire is on big wages, has been good for us in the past and we wouldn't find many buyers for him.

I still want to see how the season under EtH goes as well because I think we are going to be surprised by quite a few of our players this year. A competent manager with a good team setup will go a long way towards hiding the failings of our players in some areas.

Mcking

Yea Watkins is an Average CF at best, I'll rather wait until Maguire produces beast mode performance against proper teams and elite Strikers before I jump on the bandwagon of trying to support our mediocre captain, which I honestly doubt.

ETH knows this, that fans have every right to boo him for the sort of performance he produced as an individual last season, if not for anything but to let him know this is Manchester United and we would not accept last season performance(for me anyone calling other fans who booed him as disgraceful is well deserve watching him put the ball in our own net like he did against Tottenham)

Yes to some degree the team wasn't well structured but I'll be damned if that means our captain should put on our shirt and put up a performance associated with a Sunday league defender week in week out. We should stop all this nonsense about being a top red and so on, if a player isn't performing well fans have every right to let their feelings known which ever way they see fit.
If we could keep the likes of Watkins quiet every game, then we are winning the league. Either way, we have kept cleansheets convincingly against Man City, Tottenham, and Chelsea with Harry Maguire in our backline, so you don't have to wait for anything, you can just go check them out.

About the booing, not sure whether they were Manchester United fans, Palace fans or England fans who were booing him when he was in the national team, but one thing I'm pretty sure about is that Maguire hasn't been booed because of his performances for Manchester United, otherwise almost every player at the club would be booed whenever they touch the ball wherever they go, based on their performances for the club last season. Rashford, Sancho, Lindelof, Shaw, AWB, the lot of them.

So don't give me the reverse top red or poor performances rubbish. He has been booed because of the internet and the memeification of a player who was just having a poor season, as if it was something unprecedented among footballers.

Last edited:

romufc

So don't give me the reverse top red or poor performances rubbish. He has been booed because of the internet and the memeification of a player who was just having a poor season, as if it was something unprecedented among footballers.
Exactly this. People think Maguire is booed because of his performances is deluded. I didn't see the other 10 players get booed in our pre season games.

Maguire has performed quite well for England and got booed, clearly shows that his performances were not the reason.

He'sRaldo

Exactly this. People think Maguire is booed because of his performances is deluded. I didn't see the other 10 players get booed in our pre season games.

Maguire has performed quite well for England and got booed, clearly shows that his performances were not the reason.
He started getting booed mainly because of his shite attitude.

Cupping his ears after scoring vs Albania was the trigger. Even Keane ripped into him for that.

romufc

He started getting booed mainly because of his shite attitude.

Cupping his ears after scoring vs Albania was the trigger. Even Keane ripped into him for that.
Oh so Maguire is getting booed because of his celebration?

Keane has ripped into everyone, what does that mean?

Keane doesn't rate SAF''s man management skills, so he must have been rubbish at it just because Keane thinks so?

Lyng

Keane doesn't rate SAF''s man management skills, so he must have been rubbish at it just because Keane thinks so?
He is right that the booing started after that.

He'sRaldo

Yes that’s when the majority seemed to turn against him.

Also lends credence to @roonster09 point that he seemed to not want to take responsibility for his poor form.

romufc

Yes that’s when the majority seemed to turn against him.

Also lends credence to @roonster09 point that he seemed to not want to take responsibility for his poor form.
I can see why Manutd fans boo him, his performances were not to standard last season.

Also, Maguire has actually come out and said his performances were not good last season, so does that mean you prefer to ignore that?

He'sRaldo

I can see why Manutd fans boo him, his performances were not to standard last season.

Also, Maguire has actually come out and said his performances were not good last season, so does that mean you prefer to ignore that?
He performed so poorly last season, of course he had to eventually do that.

It’s his initial reaction to the criticism that’s more indicative. Things like the cupping of ears and the strange interviews were unbefitting of a Utd captain who was largely culpable in one of our worst ever seasons.

romufc

He performed so poorly last season, of course he had to eventually do that.

It’s his initial reaction to the criticism that’s more indicative. Things like the cupping of ears and the strange interviews were unbefitting of a Utd captain who was largely culpable in one of our worst ever seasons.
So are you saying we had a bad season primarily because of Maguire? Nothing to do with coaching?

So really what you are trying to say is, if we replaced Maguire with another player, we would have had a successful season, regardless of manager?

He'sRaldo

So are you saying we had a bad season primarily because of Maguire? Nothing to do with coaching?

So really what you are trying to say is, if we replaced Maguire with another player, we would have had a successful season, regardless of manager?
Read my post if you want to know what I’m saying.

romufc

Read my post if you want to know what I’m saying.
Largely culpable means at fault for alot of our issues.

I suspect you will point out it was Maguire's fault that we didn't create chances in games as well.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Maguire put in one of the worst CB seasons at United in a long, long time last season. Wasn't entirely at fault for last season but did a very good attempt at it.

Thought he was pretty good the season before that though. Don't think he's a good captain though.

Red Royal

Maguire put in one of the worst CB seasons at United in a long, long time last season. Wasn't entirely at fault for last season but did a very good attempt at it.

Thought he was pretty good the season before that though. Don't think he's a good captain though.
He just needs a clean slate and for everyone to forget his stupidly high transfer fee. Then hopefully will see we have a dependable CB to get us through this season. We have much bigger priorities to upgrade on before targeting Maguire.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
He just needs a clean slate and for everyone to forget his stupidly high transfer fee. Then hopefully will see we have a dependable CB to get us through this season. We have much bigger priorities to upgrade on before targeting Maguire.
I actually think he's a pretty big handicap, every team and player knows that he can be isolated and given Maguire's speed and acceleration issues means that most players can beat him. I'll be interested to see how he copes with Ten Hags football in the PL, if we play a high line then we're going to be in deep trouble. But he produced far too many unforced errors last year from poor passes, he needs to cut that out immediately. Also needs to stop pushing our own players out of the way, that would be a good start.

Zippycup

I actually think he's a pretty big handicap, every team and player knows that he can be isolated and given Maguire's speed and acceleration issues means that most players can beat him. I'll be interested to see how he copes with Ten Hags football in the PL, if we play a high line then we're going to be in deep trouble. But he produced far too many unforced errors last year from poor passes, he needs to cut that out immediately. Also needs to stop pushing our own players out of the way, that would be a good start.
His last two games were top notch. He looked back to his best.
I have a feeling our fans will have to find a new "scapegoat" for the coming season

Robbie Boy

He was dogshite last season, but surely we should all hope he finds some decent form this season. He might not have a longterm future under ETH - who the feck knows - but he's definitely going to be here next season.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Its not but its a bit like the argument against DDG. When you have so many more pressing issues to fix, there is little point in trying to fix the smaller ones first if they are going to be expensive. Maguire is on big wages, has been good for us in the past and we wouldn't find many buyers for him.

I still want to see how the season under EtH goes as well because I think we are going to be surprised by quite a few of our players this year. A competent manager with a good team setup will go a long way towards hiding the failings of our players in some areas.
De Gea was one of our best players last season even though a few were slamming him. He's still head and shoulders above Henderson. Really I would have liked to see Romero challenging him more as he was class and dependable. IIRC the amount of clean sheets he had was ridiculous.

I wouldn't say Maguire is one of those smaller problems we can wait to fix either. He's really not a United level player and never has been. And if people are going to make some justification as to why he is, then it really is a sad indictment as to where United are now. None of the top 6 would touch him. At best he's Leicester City/West Ham/Newcastle level....at best. I don't have a problem keeping him for now but having this assertion that our starting XI is him + one is just plain wrong.

I would start Bailly over him every time and would love to see a Bailly/Martinez pairing. You're right we're going to get surprised by a few this season but Maguire ain't one of them.

theatreofdreams777

Well, he hasn't played for them, and we are past the 2010s already. So we won't ever get the chance to find out.
:rolleyes:

There's no need to find anything out to know that he was (and still is) far away from that level. You make it sound like it was a coincidence & Harry was unfortunate to miss out on playing for Real Madrid but there's a good reason why :

Harry Maguire was promoted to Sheffield United first team who were playing in League One when Varane got his move to Mourinho's Real Madrid (after turning down Sir Alex's United & Wenger's Arsenal) and became a part of the team that were record breaking La Liga champions (a record 100 points and a record 121 goals) ahead of Pep's Barcelona & Champions League semi finalists.

Like I said it's not a coincidence. There was (and still is) divisions between them in terms of quality. Maguire didn't have a chance in hell to play for the likes of Real Madrid, Bayern, Barcelona, Juve etc. He wouldn't play for us either if it wasn't for an out of depth manager.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Just been watching the 'Prem Classics' game on Sky Sports there of Arsenal v Leicester from the 2017/18 season. Although he was part of a defence that conceded 4, it’s amazing how much more mobile and quicker he looked.

Idxomer

Just been watching the 'Prem Classics' game on Sky Sports there of Arsenal v Leicester from the 2017/18 season. Although he was part of a defence that conceded 4, it’s amazing how much more mobile and quicker he looked.
Same thing I realized when I watched highlights of the games against Hull City in the league cup some time back.

Red_toad

Probably say the same of Martial, form and confidence make the world of difference to players, Martial has looked so much mobile and sharper in the pre-season than he's done for a long time. Hopefully when we have a functioning well drilled back line, our players will play with more confidence and fluidity.

UtdAgain08

Thought he had a really good performance, wish he'd have scored that easy chance.

JeffFromHK

decent tonite but that corner miss is predictably alarming

1.corner
2. Maguire unmarked
3. Maguire heads the ball wide

That sequence had many times in the past couple seasons and it will keep happening.

He keeps being isn't 100% concentrated in those situations and thus head the ball wide all the time

If we have a 26 years old vidic, that vidic will score 7-8 goals a season with us now

Status
Not open for further replies.