Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
First choice with Lindelof right now, it's up to Martinez to take Victor's spot.
:confused:
I’ve said it before, and even ETH has said it, Martinez is bought for the team. It’s him plus 1 other

after todays usual dross from Lindelof he should be looking over shoulder, which might be hard for him running backwards

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Captain or not, Maguire is not on Varane's level and I don't see him even mentioned as a competition here. I get that the injuries are a big issue, but it's not like it's a common theme throughout his career so chances are we might have a fit Varane next season.
For all the people saying you don't bench an 80 mil defender - try benching a 340k/pw, multiple CL winner one.
I think there will be some rotation. It's a long season. But if we are talking about who our starters will be in the big games, since his arrival at United, Varane hasn't done anything to prove he's the better player than Maguire. I know Maguire gets scapegoated around here, but in order for Varane to be the #1 choice he has to prove it in games for United and not just live off past glories of France and Real Madrid. Truth of the matter is, no matter how much people here want to blame him for all that is wrong at United, we are better with Maguire in the starting line up, not without...

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Varane has been a disappointment in United shirt. Even against Villa, he's making several mistakes and not assuring. I don't see how he's nailed on to replace Maguire.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
What are you on about? I never mentioned the bomb threats which were a disgrace. I said the English media consistently comes out defending him after a few boos. Actually think the booing is doing more to cement his united career than silence would have.
Since when has the UK press ever defended United players?

mu4c_20le

Varane has been a disappointment in United shirt. Even against Villa, he's making several mistakes and not assuring. I don't see how he's nailed on to replace Maguire.
Didn't Harry mess up against Melbourne? It's just presason innit

Kag

I said Ten Hag would like Maguire when he was hired and pre season has only reinforced this.

Unlike Varane, Maguire is fit to play every week. Martinez will partner him.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
We need to do better as a forum than to continue to bully one of our own players. First people are looking for reasons to blame him every time our opponent scores and now people are looking for reasons to hate on him for liking a post? Our fanbase is toxic
Great post. Well said. We need to do better.

George The Best

I said Ten Hag would like Maguire when he was hired and pre season has only reinforced this.

Agree with this. Harry also plays best for England when on the right.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He's been decent so far. And he's soooo much better off the right. His previous CB partners must have been shocking for him to have "gotten used to" playing on the left.

I thought his decision making on when to press high up was neat.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm

Well, I wouldnt be so sure about that.
EtH Will drop Maguire if he makes even 10% of the mistakes that led to a goal last season. So it all depends on his level or performances.

That was a Huge problem last season. He made a mistake that led to a goal Almost every game he played but still wasnt dropped. So frustrating. EtH Will never accept that level of performances from any of our starting XI.
Which means the best players Will play. Either if its Maguire, Varane, Lindelof or somebody else.

Maguire havent showed anything in two seasons to be called ”the first name on the team sheet” in fact, he was one of our most out of form players for 12 months straight.

He really needs to get back to England NT in the worldcup form ASAP. Finally he gets some competition though. I hope it will motivate him.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Didn't Harry mess up against Melbourne? It's just presason innit
True. I guess he has this Villa game to show he's ready against better team. Varane still looked so rusty.
Hopefully we can see how both will be against Atletico.

A-man

As if we've just spent £50m on a CB that fits Ten Hag's system perfectly for him to sit on the bench. He'll be a starter as soon as he's available
The intention is not to buy a bench player for that big money, but you never know how it plays out as he is untested in the PL. Martinez will probably be tested 2x45 mins in pre season matches before the season starts; is that enough to find chemistry with Maguire and the others? Maybe he will walk right in, maybe he’ll need to earn his spot, we’ll see.

Amarsdd

EtH Will drop Maguire if he makes even 10% of the mistakes that led to a goal last season. So it all depends on his level or performances.

That was a Huge problem last season. He made a mistake that led to a goal Almost every game he played but still wasnt dropped. So frustrating. EtH Will never accept that level of performances from any of our starting XI.
Which means the best players Will play. Either if its Maguire, Varane, Lindelof or somebody else.

Maguire havent showed anything in two seasons to be called ”the first name on the team sheet” in fact, he was one of our most out of form players for 12 months straight.

He really needs to get back to England NT in the worldcup form ASAP. Finally he gets some competition though. I hope it will motivate him.
He had a bad last season but lets not rewrite history and pretend he was not our 2nd-3rd best/important (however you want to put it) player the two seasons before the last. And also your comment about his mistake leading to goal every game last season. Just because you choose to blame him for the goals doesn't mean he was actually at fault for them. You just have to look at this thread to see there's a huge difference between them. (

He looks like he's a starter for now and will continue as so if he's close to his form before last season. And as it is for now, Varane and Lindelof aren't showing much to contest him for that, and Bailly is Bailly.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
He had a bad last season but lets not rewrite history and pretend he was not our 2nd-3rd best/important (however you want to put it) player the two seasons before the last. And also your comment about his mistake leading to goal every game last season. Just because you choose to blame him for the goals doesn't mean he was actually at fault for them. You just have to look at this thread to see there's a huge difference between them. (

He looks like he's a starter for now and will continue as so if he's close to his form before last season. And as it is for now, Varane and Lindelof aren't showing much to contest him for that, and Bailly is Bailly.
I dont ”choose” to blame him for everything that got wrong last season. The whole team was a car crash for sure. Maguire was at fault for too many goals last season and thats not something I ”choose” to blame him for. It’s a fact.
I would be more than happy if he actually plays like the worldclass CB and captain he was bought for. Unfortunaly I havent seen anything yet to prove that he’s a nailed on starter.

I agree with you though that Maguire (as of today) should start the season as first choice CB. But we never know which Maguire will we see? The one from last season or the better version? We’ll have to wait and see.

Lyng

I've yet to see any actual examples, all you ever hear is the press defends Maguire. But it's bollocks.
There have been plenty posted.

There has been a very clear and different approach from the press towards Maguire compared to other United players.

But. Much like the captaincy and his price, it's hardly his fault.

Ultimately the only thing that matters is what Ten Hag thinks and how Harry plays.
So far in pre season (much like Martial) he has looked much better than last season.
I never wanted him and still have huge doubts, but right now he is our best CB and I hope he keeps it up.

youmeletsfly

Relax a bit, he made 16 errors leading to a goal just until April.

He ain't a bad player but sure in hell he ain't a United starting CB or a captain.

Mcking

Maguire wouldn’t have played for Madrid in the 2010s, it’s that simple. Not that our Varane is the same one that played for Madrid though.
Well, he hasn't played for them, and we are past the 2010s already. So we won't ever get the chance to find out.

Bestietom

Maguire seems nervous now. Don't know if the booing has got to him, but I think it would be better if fans got behind him.

Kag

If the organisation of the team is good then Maguire will look better. He has to perform better individually than he did last season, that goes without saying, but it’s also true to acknowledge that our central defenders are thrown to the wolves due to the glaring inadequacies in midfield. Worryingly, the club have so far neglected to fix this.

UnitedRepublic

Captain and a nailed on starter, the position is his to lose. I don’t think ETH accepts mediocre. Varane will be on the bench waiting for his chance. Hope he does well but his lack of pace and mobility might get him benched as the season goes on.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I've not been watching us live in pre season but I'd definitely take an in form Maguire over Lindelof. His aerial strength should compliment Martinez well. Having said that I'd always have a fully fit Varane in my team. It's a good problem to have IF these players are in their best form and we don't get a season like last year when it was a question of how many mistakes per game.

Idxomer

16 mistakes are probably an understatement.

Hope he's gonna have a good season but don't try to rewrite last year because it will make you look delusional.

Olecurls99

It was published in an article on the club website at the end of last season. In competitive games it's-.

WITH | 52%
WITHOUT | 20%
Thanks for that.

It lends some value to him alright but it might be a very coincidental stat.
We might have won those games without him and lost those games even with him and so on.

He was pretty bad last year, even his supporters aren't disputing that. There were plenty of times were he was all at sea. He has had good years with us before though so hopefully he'll get back to form.

mctrials23

Maguires biggest claim to a starting spot is being fit and available 95% of the time. I don't think he is bad but he isn't top class either. Currently however he is pretty much the only player we can build a defence around and not have to wholesale change the CB pairing every game.

mctrials23

Thanks for that.

It lends some value to him alright but it might be a very coincidental stat.
We might have won those games without him and lost those games even with him and so on.

He was pretty bad last year, even his supporters aren't disputing that. There were plenty of times were he was all at sea. He has had good years with us before though so hopefully he'll get back to form.
Thats probably too big a gap to be just coincidence. The issue with defenders in an underperforming team, especially one without any sort of midfield protection is that they get a lot of blame for team issues. They have a lot more pressure put on them than the top teams and any mistakes are far more costly.

Once people have decided you aren't playing well they also become far more critical of any little mistake you make.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Maguires biggest claim to a starting spot is being fit and available 95% of the time. I don't think he is bad but he isn't top class either. Currently however he is pretty much the only player we can build a defence around and not have to wholesale change the CB pairing every game.
Erik ten Hag won’t just look at that; although important. He will factor in how good you are on the ball, and Maguire is our best cb on the ball. Maybe second best now that Martinez has joined.

3vra

Matthew 16:18

And said Erik ( the bald Jesus) to Maguire:

And I tell you that you are Harry and on this rock I will build my team and the teams of Premierleague will not overcome it.

True story

Olecurls99

Thats probably too big a gap to be just coincidence. The issue with defenders in an underperforming team, especially one without any sort of midfield protection is that they get a lot of blame for team issues. They have a lot more pressure put on them than the top teams and any mistakes are far more costly.

Once people have decided you aren't playing well they also become far more critical of any little mistake you make.
I also looked a bit closer at it. He only missed 8 league games. That's a very small sample size and 2 of them were against Chelsea who we wouldn't be expected to beat with or without Maguire.
We only won 52% of games with him which again isn't good enough for a club like United.
Like a lot of people he'll get a clean slate this year. Hopefully he regains form and proves the doubters, me included, wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.