Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

A-man

To be honest, I am with @Lyng in asserting that statistics aren't particularly meaningful when assessing players without being contextualized in per 90 terms. With that said, even last season when he was really poor, his progression numbers were still pretty good for a defender even in per 90 terms. (He was in the 66th and 81st percentile for centre backs across Europe's top five leagues for progressive passes and progressive carries, as per FBREF)

I'm not quite sure where the idea that Maguire is poor on the ball comes from to be honest. In my eyes, even just using the eye test he is quite obviously better than Varane in this aspect, and yet that doesn't appear to be a popular opinion around here.
I don’t think he is poor on the ball. His long balls in to final third are often with high precision. My only remark there would be that all of them end up at the same spot on the left wing. He also used to be press resistant but think he lost that when his confidence went down.

My biggest complaint about him and his passing is that he is so so slow. Both when carrying it and when passing. Sometimes a team in possession need to pass around with some speed but he seems unable to do that.

acnumber9

To be honest, I am with @Lyng in asserting that statistics aren't particularly meaningful when assessing players without being contextualized in per 90 terms. With that said, even last season when he was really poor, his progression numbers were still pretty good for a defender even in per 90 terms. (He was in the 66th and 81st percentile for centre backs across Europe's top five leagues for progressive passes and progressive carries, as per FBREF)

I'm not quite sure where the idea that Maguire is poor on the ball comes from to be honest. In my eyes, even just using the eye test he is quite obviously better than Varane in this aspect, and yet that doesn't appear to be a popular opinion around here.
The problem with any passing stat is that it lacks any detail on whether it was actually a good pass. Only if it’s completed or not. The number of times Maguire rolls a ball towards our left back that they either have to check their run or actually run back to collect is astonishing.

Another factor in being a good passer is how quickly you pass it. Maguire takes an age on the ball. Even if the pass is successful and technically progressive. It happens so slowly it is not an effective pass because all space for the receiver has been closed down.

RedOrange

The degree to which this man has been scapegoated for the club's performance last season is incredible. People speak as if they would rather have revenge against Maguire than see him play well this season. The man's made himself available for 144 matches over 3 seasons, hasn't downed tools, hasn't slagged off his teammates in interviews, hasn't taken himself out of the squad with minor injuries, hasn't requested a transfer.

Regardless of the quality of his recent performances, Maguire will clearly put the effort in, which is all anyone can ask of him. That's been good enough before last season and Ten Hag seems to think he'll be an important part of the team going forward. Maybe some fans need to take a break from following football until the season starts if they can't get over the disappointment of last season.

Reactions: Sultan

Chief123

I know there is a huge divide amongst the fan base about Maguire. I’m not a big fan of his nor am I an irrational critic.

Personally as a Utd fan I’d love for him to do well and therefore help the team succeed. That’s why I’m intruiged to see how it plays out under ETH. Personally I foresee Maguire getting exposed in the style of football ETH wants to play. I’ll be happy to be proven wrong. What I am keen to see is if Maguire does struggle, whether ETH will take action to change it.

I personally don’t see Maguire lasting beyond the next summer transfer window as I think ETH will look for better alternatives.
Ironically came across this…

Grande

Ironically came across this…

This coming after several people conclude Martial is back in the saddle at Utd, and that Fred will fit Ten Hag’s style perfectly, you have to wonder - does Jaq Talbot know what nobody else knows, or does he simply just not know what evereybody else knows? Who is Jaq Talbot?

Chief123

This coming after several people conclude Martial is back in the saddle at Utd, and that Fred will fit Ten Hag’s style perfectly, you have to wonder - does Jaq Talbot know what nobody else knows, or does he simply just not know what evereybody else knows? Who is Jaq Talbot?
Ultimately it comes down to what ETH concludes. No doubt ETH will work with what he has for this season at least, but it’s highly likely that a number of players who even make his starting eleven won’t be here beyond next summer. He won’t be able to change all the players he wants immediately.

Grande

Ultimately it comes down to what ETH concludes. No doubt ETH will work with what he has for this season at least, but it’s highly likely that a number of players who even make his starting eleven won’t be here beyond next summer. He won’t be able to change all the players he wants immediately.
Undoubtedly - and wil Ten Hag also evaluate how those players play for him this season before he puts up a transfer list for next summer, or has he already decided not to care about that, and only told Jacques Talbot? (WhoTF is Jacques Talbot?)

MUFC OK

Shit united players get protected by the media and given every excuse. Good players get harassed and hounded out of the club. Go figure.

Chief123

Undoubtedly - and wil Ten Hag also evaluate how those players play for him this season before he puts up a transfer list for next summer, or has he already decided not to care about that, and only told Jacques Talbot? (WhoTF is Jacques Talbot?)
To be fair, I ain’t got a fecking clue who he is. I just saw the verified tick and thought, yep legit!

Mmm-Qatarian

Shit united players get protected by the media and given every excuse. Good players get harassed and hounded out of the club. Go figure.
Yes, Maguire, the man who received a bomb threat to his house a few months ago, has definitely gotten off lightly this season. You're on the money.

evil_geko

This guy is paid millions, is captain of Manchester United and has been underperforming for a long time now. He's also been quoted as saying managers keep selecting him in the team so he must be doing something right, and cupped his ears when he scored against San Marino, as if to say the criticisms have been undeserved.

If some of you feel that fans are not allowed to show their displeasure at him and his performances, then don't ever bring up the fact that standards and expectations at the club have fallen.

If the owners, board members and god forbid the manager and his staff are just happy to coast through season after season collecting their paychecks whilst achieving feck all, are fans not allowed to voice their displeasure? Or would that just be us being influenced by meme culture and tiktok?

One thing I'd note, where were all these indignant talking heads and pundits when Paul Pogba got booed at Old Trafford? Double standards.
Pogba is another thing, Maguire is poor performance only, constantly playing poor performing player is on manager, not the player, booing player is moronic, no matter how bad you want to justify it.

Polar

Pogba is another thing, Maguire is poor performance only, constantly playing poor performing player is on manager, not the player, booing player is moronic, no matter how bad you want to justify it.
Maguire deserves to start this season with clean sheets. Last season was terrible for most players. Maguire’s first season was good and if he continues from there or eventually steps up, I have no problem with Maguire as our CB and captain.

MUFC OK

Yes, Maguire, the man who received a bomb threat to his house a few months ago, has definitely gotten off lightly this season. You're on the money.
What are you on about? I never mentioned the bomb threats which were a disgrace. I said the English media consistently comes out defending him after a few boos. Actually think the booing is doing more to cement his united career than silence would have.

mu4c_20le

He is best when he keeps his mouth shut, no silly ear cupping, and just focus on the job. He can be a dominant defender.

Trex

Had a good game, composed on the ball and reads the game very well.
Plus the goal line clearance to top it off, more of this and he'll stop being a meme.

Lentwood

The degree to which this man has been scapegoated for the club's performance last season is incredible. People speak as if they would rather have revenge against Maguire than see him play well this season. The man's made himself available for 144 matches over 3 seasons, hasn't downed tools, hasn't slagged off his teammates in interviews, hasn't taken himself out of the squad with minor injuries, hasn't requested a transfer.

Regardless of the quality of his recent performances, Maguire will clearly put the effort in, which is all anyone can ask of him. That's been good enough before last season and Ten Hag seems to think he'll be an important part of the team going forward. Maybe some fans need to take a break from following football until the season starts if they can't get over the disappointment of last season.
Good post. Plus, none of his critics can ever explain logically any of the following-.

1) The fact that our win percentage is significantly better with him in the side than without him
2) The fact that we finished 2nd and reached the Europa League final the season before with him virtually ever-present. Likewise, England reached the European Championships final.
3) The fact that actual football manager/coaches keep picking him over other International CBs at the club and for England

AndySmith1990

First choice with Lindelof right now, it's up to Martinez to take Victor's spot.
As if we've just spent £50m on a CB that fits Ten Hag's system perfectly for him to sit on the bench. He'll be a starter as soon as he's available

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's quietly had a very solid pre-season.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
First choice with Lindelof right now, it's up to Martinez to take Victor's spot.
Lindelof's biggest competition for his spot is his own dreadful performances, Martinez walks into this team.

sillwuka

As if we've just spent £50m on a CB that fits Ten Hag's system perfectly for him to sit on the bench. He'll be a starter as soon as he's available
I agree, I mean as of right now with Martinez having played zero minutes.

Martinez should take Victor's spot after the next few games.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
There is a reason why Maguire is playing on the right. ETH prefers a left footed LCB and right footed RCB. So Maguire is getting used to playing on the right while Lindelof keeps Martinez's spot warm...

El Presidente

I agree, I mean as of right now with Martinez having played zero minutes.

Martinez should take Victor's spot after the next few games.
There is a reason why Maguire is playing on the right. ETH prefers a left footed LCB and right footed RCB. So Maguire is getting used to playing on the right while Lindelof keeps Martinez's spot warm...
Captain or not, Maguire is not on Varane's level and I don't see him even mentioned as a competition here. I get that the injuries are a big issue, but it's not like it's a common theme throughout his career so chances are we might have a fit Varane next season.
For all the people saying you don't bench an 80 mil defender - try benching a 340k/pw, multiple CL winner one.

Walters_19_MuFc

Love his aggression and front foot defending. Sometimes he needs to be careful not to misread the situation because when he gets turned, he takes a while to recover. Other than that, he's impressed me, and I have no doubt that we'll see him and Martinez as our main centre backs during the season.

Phil Osophy

That was a complete performance. Looking forward to see Martinez-Maguire playing it from the back. I don't see many teams out there with such distribution range.

Mcking

Maguire falls under the latter. Thankfully he is not leaving anytime soon.

Blood Mage

He was our best defender today but still looks shaky playing in a high line.

Red-17

Captain or not, Maguire is not on Varane's level and I don't see him even mentioned as a competition here. I get that the injuries are a big issue, but it's not like it's a common theme throughout his career so chances are we might have a fit Varane next season.
For all the people saying you don't bench an 80 mil defender - try benching a 340k/pw, multiple CL winner one.
Part of the reason this opinion is so prevalent is because Maguire's errors were highlighted to the moon last year while Varane's were largely ignored or brushed off. If Harry got blown by today like Varane did in the start of the second half, we wouldn't be hearing the end of it. On the ball, Maguire is a level above, I don't think it is particularly close. Both are great in the air, Varane obviously has better recovery pace, but Maguire is much better stepping up and winning the ball as he showed today. Varane did nothing last year to say he is undroppable

Mcking

Maguire would probably have a few UCL titles as well if he played for Madrid in the 2010s. Wages and titles won are not going to be a factor here.

Lyng

Maguire would probably have a few UCL titles as well if he played for Madrid in the 2010s. Wages and titles won are not going to be a factor here.
This is why the discourse around him is so volatile.
One bad mistake and he is the worst defender in the world.
One decent pre season friendly and he is suddenly world class and could easily have plaid in Madrid.

Grande

Good post. Plus, none of his critics can ever explain logically any of the following-.

1) The fact that our win percentage is significantly better with him in the side than without him
2) The fact that we finished 2nd and reached the Europa League final the season before with him virtually ever-present. Likewise, England reached the European Championships final.
3) The fact that actual football manager/coaches keep picking him over other International CBs at the club and for England
I’m not saying I disagree with your points, Rafa, but careful with that rethoric.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Maguire wouldn’t have played for Madrid in the 2010s, it’s that simple. Not that our Varane is the same one that played for Madrid though.

TOKUGAWA-X

The captain looked aggresive again no doubt ETH sees the same we do.

He is gonna have a great season.

Status
Not open for further replies.