Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Surprised to see so many writing him off. I expect to see him play in plenty of games, whether through injury to others or just rotation, we need a squad not just 2 CBs.
Really? You’re surprised people are done with him?

No one wants him to be shit if he plays, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t enough evidence to write him off.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Surprised to see so many writing him off. I expect to see him play in plenty of games, whether through injury to others or just rotation, we need a squad not just 2 CBs.
He'll play plenty with games coming up every 3 days from now on. If he doesn't make the 'first XI' because we're winning games then great.

The 'new' defence also hasn't really been tested yet with the things Maguire was being slated for, playing out from the back and a high line. We've mainly gone long and sat deep in the last 3.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The pitchforks are a bit disconcerting. I hope he gets the support he needs to get through this period and does well enough when given a run-out.
No place for sentiment. You can clearly see the side is progressing without him. Why would you undo all that good work just for the sake of it? It doesn't make any sense. He's clearly not at the level that United need so even at his best he wouldn't be moving us forward.

If it's a run out he needs he should have gone to a mid-table club during the window. The writing's on the wall for him here...there's no way back (thank feck!)

M Bison

Supports
York City
Really? You’re surprised people are done with him?

No one wants him to be shit if he plays, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t enough evidence to write him off.
I am yes. The whole team has been poor for an extended period, Harry included. For me I don’t think you can write any of our first team squad off yet, they’ve all been way off it, but that doesn’t mean they’re finished.

Just my view, there’s ability in all our players, I wouldn’t write any off personally.

Pronewbie

Peep
No place for sentiment. You can clearly see the side is progressing without him. Why would you undo all that good work just for the sake of it? It doesn't make any sense. He's clearly not at the level that United need so even at his best he wouldn't be moving us forward.

If it's a run out he needs he should have gone to a mid-table club during the window. The writing's on the wall for him here...there's no way back (thank feck!)
This has nothing to do with sentiment. The vitriol and revisionism has gone overboard, is all.

TOKUGAWA-X

You should never write off a player that was important in a team that made world cup semis and euro final.

If ETH is that great wich i believe he is, he will get the best out of Maguire.

Varane is an injury-prone and he isnt great on the ball wich is an important element in the ETH system.

criticalanalysis

Gonna call it, to say he will play good to very good the next game he starts and people will be surprised by 'wow he's actually not that shit'. He's a capable player and will benefit from the renewed organisation ETH has instilled.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Excellent man of the bench performances! In all seriousness, I think he'll get a good run in mid-week EL matches with Lindelof, Shaw, and AWB.

lex talionis

Harry will definitely get seriously playing time in the EL. A solid third option for us, no question about it.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Gonna call it, to say he will play good to very good the next game he starts and people will be surprised by 'wow he's actually not that shit'. He's a capable player and will benefit from the renewed organisation ETH has instilled.
I think quite a few people on here say that he's not a bad player, but whether he fits a high intensity progressive footballing team is another matter entirely. He won't fit. I just hope we don't have to rely on him in the league and that he'll do alright in Europa.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
When he was actively playing every single game, and we were having a bad season, journalists always somehow knew of what players get up to behind the scenes. They knew which players are demanding change and who's holding the team together, and Maguire was also described as one of the more vocal and important figures to squad harmony.

The man's dropped. Where are those reports now? Where is captain fantastic? I wouldn't be surprised if this guy would leak stuff for positive press.

Stadjer

Should have done that the first and second game of the season and he wouldnt be on the bench now. I have more faith in Lindelof playing good than Maguire playing good if one of them comes on for Varane.

Sylar

Maguire did ok / well first couple of seasons. Thought he was finishing the second season really strong then got injured. He had a good partnership with Shaw on the left and was also driving forward with the ball.

Think we missed him in the Europa League final and final few games where we just drew or lost nearly every game.

He had a good European championships for England (like Shaw). Then they just both fell off after the final. Maguire more so as it seemed he made a mistake nearly every game when he returned from injury (Ole should never have put him in like that and culminated with his red in Oles final game)

He's not a bad player. Think the money spent on him was due to shit negotiators we had (we spent whole summer trying to negotiate and then spent how much was initially wanted anyway and Maguire missed the pre season iirc)

Tap

He is too nice a gentleman to be a CB. You should be that in your personal life but should be a proper cnt on the field.
Gentlemen don’t get involved in fights with the police or taunt critics when on field performances don’t warrant it. He probably got the gentleman-cnt order in reverse.

Sgreddevil

He can definitely contribute by playing in the cup games to reduce the work load of Varane and Martinez. Just not the league games please.

criticalanalysis

Should have done that the first and second game of the season and he wouldnt be on the bench now. I have more faith in Lindelof playing good than Maguire playing good if one of them comes on for Varane.
I'm not defending his past performances or form as they are rightly indefensible. I'm just saying he's more capable than people think and has been an easy target. It's been an emotional mindf**k being a Utd fan and whilst I'm not surprised there's been a lot of genuine vitriol aimed towards Maguire, I think it has crossed the line in terms of writing off his ability to perform for the club.

As for Lindelof, backpedaling into his own box, leaving his full back exposed (AWB and Dalot probably have PTSD of this) by not doubling up and generally not being aggressive in any situation? They are both equal liabilities in terms of 'playing good' as replacements, if you want to be neutral about it.

Anyways we will have a clearer picture when he/if (?) he starts next.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
This has nothing to do with sentiment. The vitriol and revisionism has gone overboard, is all.
Vitriol? Debatable...certainly no different to what the likes of Rojo, Pogba, Lingard, Fred, Rooney, Rashford for example have endured in the past.

Revisionism? No way. The guy has been crap for ages and bizarrely overrated. I don't think he's ever had any MOM awards. Even Fred had a run of standout performances. Nah, Maguire has always been an embarrassment and no doubt the worst United captain, I've seen in my lifetime.

shahzy

Writing him off and understanding he will probably still play are not the same thing.

People are writing him off because the writing is on the wall. He is terrible, slow and his playstyle doesn't work for a team that wants to be on the front foot because they will be playing a high line. That being said, Varanes injury record suggests that he will get injured, pretty high chance of that and then we'll need to bring either Lindelof or Maguire in. Imo I'd prefer younger, faster Lindelof but I'm sure Maguire will get a chance too. Should he? Imo, no. He's finished. But will he? Probably

marcus agrippa

I am yes. The whole team has been poor for an extended period, Harry included. For me I don’t think you can write any of our first team squad off yet, they’ve all been way off it, but that doesn’t mean they’re finished.

Just my view, there’s ability in all our players, I wouldn’t write any off personally.
This is a fallacious argument. Sure, the team was poor last season. but ETH has given everyone a chance (bar AWB, but we've known for a long time that he's a bit shite - ETH wanted rid as soon as he stepped through the door). Consider:

ETH on Maguire: he'll have to prove himself.

ETH on goals conceded last season: they were mainly conceded from the left hand side of defence. Rather than drop the pair of them, he shifts Maguire to the right, and keeps starting both him and Shaw. We lose - badly - two games on the trot. Neither of them cover themselves in glory.

ETH changes things for Liverpool, mentions a need for 'agility and mobility' in defence. Maguire and Shaw are benched. We keep consecutive clean sheets, and are full of aggression at the back, with players 'fighting for each other'. Clear as day, Varane and Martinez read the game, and cover ground better. Even if they miss a tackle, they have the recovery to get back. Malacia is tenacious, and, in the words of Neville, he 'has something'.

Given all the above, I'd say Maguire has written himself off/played himself out of the team. As has Shaw. Maguire is 29, and Shaw is 27. Both should be at or near their peaks, but aren't. We've seen Shaw for nearly a decade now. That's enough to know.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
You should never write off a player that was important in a team that made world cup semis and euro final.

Varane is an injury-prone and he isnt great on the ball wich is an important element in the ETH system.
What? There's many shit average players that won the world cup because they played in a stacked side. Member the world class Kleberson?

marcus agrippa

I'd say ETH is getting the best out of him right now by making him a bench player. :lol:

JeffFromHK

What? There's many shit average players that won the world cup because they played in a stacked side. Member the world class Kleberson?
According to TOKUGAWA-X's logic, Chelsea was wrong to sell Maniche after a single poor season, since Maniche was pivotal to the Portugal team that made it to World Cup 2006 Semi and Euro 2004 Final. Also, Kostas Katsouranis and Antonios Nikopolidis were the key players for Greece winning Euro 04 so they must be good enough for teams like Man Utd .. while they had never joined any teams from the top five leagues in Europe

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Vitriol? Debatable...certainly no different to what the likes of Rojo, Pogba, Lingard, Fred, Rooney, Rashford for example have endured in the past.

Revisionism? No way. The guy has been crap for ages and bizarrely overrated. I don't think he's ever had any MOM awards. Even Fred had a run of standout performances. Nah, Maguire has always been an embarrassment and no doubt the worst United captain, I've seen in my lifetime.
Criticise the player for his performances by all means, but don't post utter bollocks. The quickest of google searches reveals he's had multiple MOTM awards, including on his debut v Chelsea.

www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11661/11783260/harry-maguires-manchester-united-debut-showed-his-importance

www.givemesport.com/88052842-ramos-van-dijk-maguire-20-cbs-with-most-motm-trophies-since-2009/amp

Pronewbie

Peep

But you also don't play him over a player that was important in a team that won the World Cup and 5 Champions Leagues.

Maguire isn't a bad player but he's suited to a team that plays on the back foot, and he's nowhere near as good as Varane or Martinez on the ball. Forget the defensive side, Maguire couldn't pass the way we have been doing the last 3 games. He will be a good squad player for certain games, if he's happy to do that, or he could go to a mid table team with no aspirations and start every game.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
No, he had a brilliant run closer to the end of the 2nd season where he was our best-performing player over a decent period of time. Not that it makes him a good player today, mind.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
At how brilliant we have been without him.
Yeah, that would make sense if other performance threads for Ronaldo, Lindelof, Fred, Jones, Shaw and any other player currently out of the side were discussing the same things.

But they aren't.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Yeah, that would make sense if other performance threads for Ronaldo, Lindelof, Fred, Jones, Shaw and any other player currently out of the side were discussing the same things.

But they aren't.
Jones :lol:

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

If Pep is that great as many claim, he should have gotten the best out of Joe Hart, Mangala, Bravo, Angelino, Danilo, Iheanacho, Delph, Fernando etc.

Pat Cat

Writing him off and understanding he will probably still play are not the same thing.

People are writing him off because the writing is on the wall. He is terrible, slow and his playstyle doesn't work for a team that wants to be on the front foot because they will be playing a high line. That being said, Varanes injury record suggests that he will get injured, pretty high chance of that and then we'll need to bring either Lindelof or Maguire in. Imo I'd prefer younger, faster Lindelof but I'm sure Maguire will get a chance too. Should he? Imo, no. He's finished. But will he? Probably
This high line stuff is such a myth, it's incredible. We're playing deeper than almost any period under Ole, Maguire can easily fit into this system which is very different to the one we used for the first two games.

It's interesting how whenever Maguire had great performances playing back to the wall people would always caveat them with "playing in a deep block" but the same isn't levelled at players they like.

JanK

Supports
Napoli
Excellent man of the bench performances! In all seriousness, I think he'll get a good run in mid-week EL matches with Lindelof, Shaw, and AWB.
If it was possible to train the usual suspects into a second tier back 4 and play only for their strengths, then that would be hell of a rotation in football history. Other teams rotate goalkeepers between league and cups, we are able to rotate our whole back line... but if it works, then it'd be amazing.

We are stuck with these goons (Lindelöf is the most decent one out of the 4), so the best we can do this season is to drill them into a 2nd unit and focus them only on non-league games. But the question is, how should our gameplan look like then? This is a low-block team, lack of energy etc. So, maybe a counter-attacking, ball-hoofing tactic can bring some success? I can see McTominay, Elanga, Ronaldo, VDB, De Gea (as Dubravka is more of sweeper keeper, suiting ETH) and Rashford joining them.

So, in an ideal world we'll have a 2nd team of

---------------De Gea
AWB-Lindelöf-Maguire-Shaw
------------McTominay-VDB
Elanga-----whoever lacks match fitness--Rashford
------------------Ronaldo

Play counter (excellent for Elanga-Rashford), long balls,, lots of crosses (Shaw can cross and McTom, Maguire, Ronaldo have decent header in them) and just try to win the game. That would be superb for team chemistry and everybody gets their minutes.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I think Maguire is a good centre back when played in a back 3. He is evidently at 0 confidence and is rightly sitting on the bench. Long term he will be sold, probably not until next summer at the earliest though, as his style of play doesnt fit into the way we are looking to progress under Ten Hag.
I would be very interested to see if a few weeks of coaching under Ten Hag will show any improvement, same with AWB, Lindelof and Shaw.
The first two matches showed nothing had changed, but even Martinez was subbed off at half time in the Brentford game, but from Liverpool onwards, we have looked a different team, whether that is just a change of personnel in the team, or a change of attitude amongst the players I'm not sure, but say Maguire came in for Varane on Sunday, I would hope, and expect, a far more focussed, aggressive and quicker thinking Maguire than we have seen for a long while. It would probably help that we could possibly have Erikson and Casemiro in front of him giving a little protection, and of course, availability for the pass, we wait and see.
For what it's worth, I always thought Maguire was a better fit for a back three than a two.
I hope he has a much better season this time, and even if we were to sell him, he would get the chance to go to a new club, possibly a newly promoted one, where is experience would help a lot.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Criticise the player for his performances by all means, but don't post utter bollocks. The quickest of google searches reveals he's had multiple MOTM awards, including on his debut v Chelsea.

www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11661/11783260/harry-maguires-manchester-united-debut-showed-his-importance

www.givemesport.com/88052842-ramos-van-dijk-maguire-20-cbs-with-most-motm-trophies-since-2009/amp
Yeah, like I said, Fred has had them, Pogba's had them. So what are you trying to prove.

Doesn't alter the fact that Maguire is still shir.

Status
Not open for further replies.