Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Would removing Jones from the list add validity to the point that seemed to go straight over your head?
Not really. From that list Harry Maguire is the only one who has played almost every game for us when fit. We have seen Telles play instead of Shaw, Varane instead of Lindelof. Since Maguire's signing we have always talked about who should partner him instead of talking about dropping him.

It is only the first time we have witnessed him demoted to the bench and how well the team is doing in his absence.

There were people talking on the Ronaldo thread hoping he would be gone during the deadline day and even before that. There were countless posts on how inept McFred are and there are still posts being made for McTom being dropped for Casemiro.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
It suits no one. It's not as if his issues weren't present with Lindelof, Bailly, Varane and whoever plays next to him. At Leicester Evans was the better performer.
Maguire seems to be the common denominator on why our CBs don't look like they belong at a top club. Even Varane last season looked an average player playing alongside him. It must be nice for them to finally be able to concentrate on their own jobs instead of worrying about how Maguire will either play them into trouble (especially De Gea) or be continually out of position pulling the whole defence out of shape which reflects on everyone.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Maguire seems to be the common denominator on why our CBs don't look like they belong at a top club. Even Varane last season looked an average player playing alongside him. It must be nice for them to finally be able to concentrate on their own jobs instead of worrying about how Maguire will either play them into trouble (especially De Gea) or be continually out of position pulling the whole defence out of shape which reflects on everyone.
To be clear, I'm not trying to say that Maguire is an awful player, I still think that he is good when you use certain schemes. The point was about the CBs that we have at the club and the defensive scheme that we use and tried to use last season To me it's clear that there is a mismatch, Maguire and Lindelof could work in a system similar to the one Sweden played a few years ago with Granqvist and Lindelof as a pairing. I could see the both of them be good in Simeone's 442 but I don't see them succeed in a scheme that requires to control larger space with fewer defenders.

phelans shorts

Varane’s very worst last season was with Maguire out of the side. Try again.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
There are plenty of things to criticise Maguire for without having to make up silly lies about him.
It wasn't a lie and why are you so triggered about it anyway?? He's not the first person who's had claims made against him so what makes him so special? Like I said already, Pogba had it 100 times worse than Maguire on a good day.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
To be clear, I'm not trying to say that Maguire is an awful player, I still think that he is good when you use certain schemes. The point was about the CBs that we have at the club and the defensive scheme that we use and tried to use last season To me it's clear that there is a mismatch, Maguire and Lindelof could work in a system similar to the one Sweden played a few years ago with Granqvist and Lindelof as a pairing. I could see the both of them be good in Simeone's 442 but I don't see them succeed in a scheme that requires to control larger space with fewer defenders.
I'm not saying Maguire is an awful player myself it's just at this level he doesn't complement his partners like Varane does. I could only imagine Maguire playing with Martinez would be a disaster. Martinez looks like he's an impetuous player and aggressive CBs have a tendency to get caught on the wrong foot. Varane reads the game so well that he always seems to be in the right place to help out. Martinez being quick means he needs very little time to recover his position whereas if Maguire is caught on the wrong foot I could put the kettle on, take out the rubbish and make myself a cup of tea before Maguire recovers his position meaning the defence is pulled out of shape.

A great CB partnership covers each others deficiencies which is why Martinez playing alongside Varane looks to be a very good signing because I'm sure if he was continually playing alongside Maguire it wouldn't be too long before people started questioning his ability as a footballer. My only worry is what happens to the defence when Varane inevitability gets injured?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
It wasn't a lie and why are you so triggered about it anyway?? He's not the first person who's had claims made against him so what makes him so special? Like I said already, Pogba had it 100 times worse than Maguire on a good day.
It just seemed that someone so obsessed with slating a player who's been in a shocking run of form has to resort to untrue supposition in his critiques.
The fact more people may have talked objectionable nonsense about Pogba and other players isn't a good argument for doing the same about Maguire is it?

Chief123

Yeah, that would make sense if other performance threads for Ronaldo, Lindelof, Fred, Jones, Shaw and any other player currently out of the side were discussing the same things.

But they aren't.
But they aren’t central defenders who have been the common denominator playing through the chaos of our 18 months. It’s pretty evident the replacement of Maguire has had a huge improvement on our team. Especially as the other players around him such as Martinez, Dalot, Shaw/Malacia played in the first 2 games when we were shit.

There really is no defence of Maguire’s omission. Him being removed has had a drastic improvement on the team simply because of the attributes he simply doesn’t have which affect our cohesion as a defence.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
It just seemed that someone so obsessed with slating a player who's been in a shocking run of form has to resort to untrue supposition in his critiques.
The fact more people may have talked objectionable nonsense about Pogba and other players isn't a good argument for doing the same about Maguire is it?
It is to me when the same level of objections and rebuttals have not been made in their case. I don't see why I should be giving Maguire any special treatment.

And unless you've consistently raised similar objections in other threads, your protestations here carry no weight. So, we move.

Jippy

Staff
It is to me when the same level of objections and rebuttals have not been made in their case. I don't see why I should be giving Maguire any special treatment.

And unless you've consistently raised similar objections in other threads, your protestations here carry no weight. So, we move.
:lol:So not posting untrue nonsense about a player is giving them 'special treatment' in your eyes?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
But they aren’t central defenders who have been the common denominator playing through the chaos of our 18 months. It’s pretty evident the replacement of Maguire has had a huge improvement on our team. Especially as the other players around him such as Martinez, Dalot, Shaw/Malacia played in the first 2 games when we were shit.

There really is no defence of Maguire’s omission. Him being removed has had a drastic improvement on the team simply because of the attributes he simply doesn’t have which affect our cohesion as a defence.
I'm not disputing that the team looks better off with Varane + Martinez in central defence. For me, it's the best partnership we've had back there since Rio + Vidic.

I'm saying if many (not all) in this thread are happy to make petty comments about Maguire being dropped and the team improving as a result, then why aren't they saying the same about Ronaldo, Fred and Shaw as they were dropped at the same time?

Jam

I'm not disputing that the team looks better off with Varane + Martinez in central defence. For me, it's the best partnership we've had back there since Rio + Vidic.

I'm saying if many (not all) in this thread are happy to make petty comments about Maguire being dropped and the team improving as a result, then why aren't they saying the same about Ronaldo, Fred and Shaw as they were dropped at the same time?
Have you read this forum? Ronaldo, Fred and Shaw get slated every day.

Ronaldo and Maguire are the club’s two most hated players, but both also have vocal support.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
:lol:So not posting untrue nonsense about a player is giving them 'special treatment' in your eyes?
All I'm saying is, whether it's lies, nonsense, exaggerations or whatever, it's no different to what goes on in any other thread. I just used the likes of Pogba, Rashford and Fred as examples. I'm just questioning why you bizarrely are only irked as to why it's happening to Maguire?

Just seems very odd.

Jippy

Staff
All I'm saying is, whether it's lies, nonsense, exaggerations or whatever, it's no different to what goes on in any other thread. I just used the likes of Pogba, Rashford and Fred as examples. I'm just questioning why you bizarrely are only irked as to why it's happening to Maguire?

Just seems very odd.
Loads of shite was challenged and/or deleted in those player threads too.
I don't care about Maguire either way particularly, it just annoys me when people post stuff that's obvious nonsense.

Ladron de redcafe

Yeah even though I don't share the same opinion of McGuire that you do, I was reading through and I couldn't find the supposed "lie" either :lol:

led_scholes

You should never write off a player that was important in a team that made world cup semis and euro final.

If ETH is that great wich i believe he is, he will get the best out of Maguire.

Varane is an injury-prone and he isnt great on the ball wich is an important element in the ETH system.
What about a player who won the World cup and EL and reached the Euro and CL final?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Loads of shite was challenged and/or deleted in those player threads too.
I don't care about Maguire either way particularly, it just annoys me when people post stuff that's obvious nonsense.
I don't know whether you personally were as vociferous in those threads as in the Maguire one as I can't be arsed to check but it doesn't really matter what we think anyway.

The important thing is that this guy is kept as far away from the starting XI as possible.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
3 wins on the bounce but certain people want to come to a performance thread of a player not playing and wank over their hatred of him. Pathetic stuff.
Some people just exist to be toxic, which sucks. Whether he’s in form or not Maguire is by all accounts a good person who volunteers his time for club outreach to hospitals etc most times when there are no cameras. Yet you read some posts here and think he likes to peg satan in his free time.

city-puma

Maguire had been a great player. Anyone who denies this simply has no clue at all.
but his performance level has been dropping since last season. It seems more about his physical condition. He has become more and more slower and more and more clumsy.
can he get fitter a lot? I don’t know. But it should not be so difficult to be better than now. When next time he starts a game, I expect a much improved performance from him and a much better fitness of course.

Tap

Some people just exist to be toxic, which sucks. Whether he’s in form or not Maguire is by all accounts a good person who volunteers his time for club outreach to hospitals etc most times when there are no cameras. Yet you read some posts here and think he likes to peg satan in his free time.
Tbh, i rather he defends and captains well on the pitch and pegs satan in his free time than the current version we have.

AdNani

Maguire needs to play more if he wants to make the World Cup. Eth should consider resting some players if there are two games in one week.
Maguire making the world cup is of no concern to ETH, winning games for United is. There is no chance he brings Maguire in for a game this big when The back 4 has performed so well.

Chief123

And Lindelof

And Shaw

And Fred

And Pogba
Good effort of deflection, but none of those players have been playing central defence in the recent chaos where we have seen the greatest improvement.

liman

Not really. From that list Harry Maguire is the only one who has played almost every game for us when fit. We have seen Telles play instead of Shaw, Varane instead of Lindelof. Since Maguire's signing we have always talked about who should partner him instead of talking about dropping him.

It is only the first time we have witnessed him demoted to the bench and how well the team is doing in his absence.

There were people talking on the Ronaldo thread hoping he would be gone during the deadline day and even before that. There were countless posts on how inept McFred are and there are still posts being made for McTom being dropped for Casemiro.
One more, David De Gea. Correct me if i am wrong but i didn't remember if there were any discussion among our fanbase about DDG being the problem before we brought Maguire in. As i remember he was literally a fan favorite back then. Harry Maguire is the common denominator of every mess we were in since he was here. He is like covid.

Marwood

Good effort of deflection, but none of those players have been playing central defence in the recent chaos where we have seen the greatest improvement.
It's not defelction it's common sense.

We've been chaotic all over the pitch for the last 12 month. It's impossible to say dropping just one player has made the difference.

And where does Lindelof play?

redcucumber

Maguire had been a great player. Anyone who denies this simply has no clue at all.
but his performance level has been dropping since last season. It seems more about his physical condition. He has become more and more slower and more and more clumsy.
can he get fitter a lot? I don’t know. But it should not be so difficult to be better than now. When next time he starts a game, I expect a much improved performance from him and a much better fitness of course.
Very unusually strong and haughty statement to lead with. Will Maguire really be remembered as a great player? By who? For which team? He was on a promising trajectory prior to his move to United which has largely gone disastrously wrong. A few months of good form over a stretch of 3/4 years isn't sufficient to earn the esteem of being regarded as being a great player, of which Maguire isn't and likely won't ever be.

Chief123

It's not defelction it's common sense.

We've been chaotic all over the pitch for the last 12 month. It's impossible to say dropping just one player has made the difference.

And where does Lindelof play?
Dalot, Martinez, Maguire, McTominay, Shaw/Malacia all played in the first 2 shitshows where we looked a mess. Maguire comes out for Varane and we look completely different. Organised, aggressive, hard to get through. Lindelof is irrelevant.

Chief123

Never has been a great player. Anyone who thinks this simply has no clue at all.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Do you think any of our other players are inherently bad people or are you just making a special exception for Maguire? Look at the abuse Rashford gets and he's done more for charity than Maguire has.

Chief123

I don’t think anyone is questioning his character as a person. He’s just a bang average footballer which is what the discussions here are.

I’m a good person who volunteers and does charity work too. But I’d rightfully be slaughtered if I played for Man Utd because I would be absolutely dog shit.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I don’t think anyone is questioning his character as a person. He’s just a bang average footballer which is what the discussions here are.

I’m a good person who volunteers and does charity work too. But I’d rightfully be slaughtered if I played for Man Utd because I would be absolutely dog shit.
Some of the personal attacks go a little beyond criticism of his work on the pitch. There was a discussion last season where people were criticizing the club social account posting a picture of him with a sick child.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Do you think any of our other players are inherently bad people or are you just making a special exception for Maguire? Look at the abuse Rashford gets and he's done more for charity than Maguire has.
So your response is that you also abuse rashford.

redcucumber

Maguire hasn't played for 3 games so it's odd that people are still going out of their way to dump on him. Can't we just enjoy our current success and leave out the targeted criticism for a bit (given that it's irrelevant to our current form)?

Status
Not open for further replies.