Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Having the form of his life right now. I would argue it is only bested by his peak at Leicester.

Chief123

@Robbie Boy and I’ve said Maguire is not good enough for us - but I think the amount of hatred he is getting from nearly a million people is shocking.

the same with Rashford. Millions of people hate him.
People don’t hate Maguire as a person. They hate the fact he was regularly playing in the team when like you’ve said, he is not good enough for us.

Robbie Boy

@Robbie Boy and I’ve said Maguire is not good enough for us - but I think the amount of hatred he is getting from nearly a million people is shocking.

the same with Rashford. Millions of people hate him.

Sancho is being put down by only a few people that can be counted by hands in comparison so I don’t feel sorry for them.
You still have to understand why it looks extremely hypocritical to endlessly defend one player, but slag off another to try hammer home your point? You also then went totally off kilter in here and tried to say our fans are shite compared to our rival fans. The same rival fans like Chelsea who have at numerous times had racists exposed in their ranks etc? Again, it's just hyperbole to try hammer home a point, and people are going to call you out on it. Why not just say that Rashford and Maguire have deserved criticism and not personal abuse? I don't think anyone would argue with that.

Any personal abuse that Rashford and Maguire have received is uncalled for, but the criticism has been warranted.

Lentwood

When you have several seasons with absolute shocking defending from Maguire and Shaw and you start the new season with the same shocking display, and then they get replaced and suddenly the defence is looking rock solid, then yes its kind of impossible to debate.
I'm not getting drawn into this because this is my problem on here...I'll argue with some obviously flawed statement that makes no sense and then within two or three posts someone will be along to call me a 'Maguire-lover' or a 'Shaw fanboi' or something...

I return to my original point to just say this and that's me out of this crazy thread...the back four now are benefitting from playing deeper, from much better organisation and work-rate in-front of them and from the 'honeymoon effect'

It's not about defending individuals. I like Malacia. I like Martinez. I like Varane. I like Maguire. I like Shaw (sometimes). It is about trying to be objective and assessing the performances fairly wherever possible.

Personally, and this is my opinion, I thought Varane was shaky at times on Sunday, I like Martinez's aggression but it will get him into trouble (like it did on Sunday) and I love Malacia's energy but I'm not rushing to say he's this elite fullback yet because I think there's much work to be done.

Robbie Boy

People don’t hate Maguire as a person. They hate the fact he was regularly playing in the team when like you’ve said, he is not good enough for us.
Of course some idiots do; wasn't there a bomb scare at his home at some stage? But these are in the very small minority - mostly just mentalists online - and the overwhelming majority stick to criticising him as a player.

Chief123

Of course some idiots do; wasn't there a bomb scare at his home at some stage? But these are in the very small minority - mostly just mentalists online - and the overwhelming majority stick to criticising him as a player.
People do stupid things when they are frustrated. There’s been a lot of frustration at the club over the last couple of years.

The reason I believe people don’t have hate towards him as a person is because when he’s dropped to the bench, those “haters” seem to be happy. They clearly don’t want him in the team like myself. That’s not hatred towards the person. It’s hatred towards him playing in the team.

Robbie Boy

People do stupid things when they are frustrated. There’s been a lot of frustration at the club over the last couple of years.

The reason I believe people don’t have hate towards him as a person is because when he’s dropped to the bench, those “haters” seem to be happy. They clearly don’t want him in the team like myself. That’s not hatred towards the person. It’s hatred towards him playing in the team.
Can't argue with that. As I said, our standards have slipped massively as a club since Fergie retired, especially under Ole. I'm just delighted that we have gotten ETH, who seems to set a very high bar.

I'm glad to see him finally benched - as it's the correct decision - but as a person, I certainly don't hate him. I'm not going to lie, I have never found him to be particularly likeable/endearing, but that's about it.

Greck

People always made it out to be like we should sign a DM to help him. Everything that happened back there had to happen around him. I'm glad to finally be away from the disgusting idea that we had to build a defence around a rotation player at best. Like every mediocre player wouldn't benefit from sharing their role with someone better. Why was he the one who deserved to have his weaknesses covered? Because clueless club staff spent 80m on him? He was one of them who reportedly asked the board for signings so I hope he doesn't mind being the one to lose his place.

Chief123

Can't argue with that. As I said, our standards have slipped massively as a club since Fergie retired, especially under Ole. I'm just delighted that we have gotten ETH, who seems to set a very high bar.

I'm glad to see him finally benched - as it's the correct decision - but as a person, I certainly don't hate him. I'm not going to lie, I have never found him to be particularly likeable/endearing, but that's about it.
I think we’ve all as fans have slowly lowered our standards over recent years as we’ve had a big regression in standards.

We are all desperate to have top quality team again which is naturally going to lead to differences of opinion when it comes to the rebuild to get back to those levels.

I’m guilty of it myself with being happy with a standard of player which in truth would have got nowhere near the side in our title winning days 10 years ago.

However, I’ve seen enough to know that ETH can be trusted to get us to a high level of quality again to compete at the top. Just from his actions and what he says, he seems to be doing a lot of things that were “obvious” to us as fans and pundits but our previous managers were reluctant to address.

ETH is using players right now which in his mind he knows for sure they won’t be in his long term plans unless they drastically improve with his coaching. However, he knows he needs them on board to help him get to the final goal.

Maguire is one of those players which I don’t see ETH having in his long term plans. I think it would actually be good for Maguire to have a fresh start elsewhere himself.

Even though I personally don’t rate him or think he’s good enough for Utd. I do think he would bring great value to a number of teams in the league which like to set up in a compact structure and focus on counter attacks. The likes of Crystal Palace, Everton, West Ham, Newcastle are all teams I can see Maguire succeeding in. He’s just not suited to the style ETH envisions.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Thursday is the game he should be coming in for. Give Martinez and Varane a rest until the weekend and have Maguire as our cup team CB.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
The thoughts of him ever being number one again is scary - he isnt , and never was, good enough!

florisW

Supports
Ajax
A striker can dominate a centreback without scoring. I also didn't know we went back in time 20+ years where the striker his sole purpose is to score a goal. If all a striker needed to do is to score goals why isnt Ronaldo starting games then?
because he isn't scoring is he? dominating means winning. winning of a CB means scoring despite the CB.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He needs to play in the centre of a back 3 with runners around him. He just cant play in a 4 with such a lack of mobility.

I actually think he'd be really good in Serie A for that reason. Hopefully Mourinho offers him a rescue package.

Lyng

He needs to play in the centre of a back 3 with runners around him. He just cant play in a 4 with such a lack of mobility.

I actually think he'd be really good in Serie A for that reason. Hopefully Mourinho offers him a rescue package.
Could see him do well there yes. Would be the best for all parties.

lsd

The Oracle
Hadn't put a foot wrong last few games but then he got onto the pitch again.

Now I really worry about injuries to Martinez or Varane

DepaysCowboyHat

He's sluggish, slow and not good enough for us and never should've been captain. He's not really a bad player though (I know this is very contradicted)

When he came on against Arsenal the game was so fast for him it was painful too watch. I feel like he couldnt have done any better than taking the yellow altho after Casemiro (?) lost the ball so Ill give Maguire credit there.

That being said I feel like we should try to support the guy when he plays and give FAIR criticism and like EtH, give the players a clean slate and a chance to prove themselves...not just our favorite players.
Hopefully Maguire gets a new team come the end of the season and can get his career on trajectory, a team that fits his profile

NewYorkRed

That video where he says he keeps getting picked because he keeps playing well is..awkward now. Needs to play well when given the chance though because just because he’s a full England intl, I feel someone will pay us for him.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
He's sluggish, slow and not good enough for us and never should've been captain. He's not really a bad player though (I know this is very contradicted)

When he came on against Arsenal the game was so fast for him it was painful too watch. I feel like he couldnt have done any better than taking the yellow altho after Casemiro (?) lost the ball so Ill give Maguire credit there.

That being said I feel like we should try to support the guy when he plays and give FAIR criticism and like EtH, give the players a clean slate and a chance to prove themselves...not just our favorite players.
Hopefully Maguire gets a new team come the end of the season and can get his career on trajectory, a team that fits his profile
All we can go on is his performances and its wrong just to wipe the slate.

He's going to get more chances and it's up to him to take them but for me unless he suddenly develops this new level we don't know about then he's not going to make it anymore at this club

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He's relying on Varane or Martinez getting injured to get a look in for main games as it stands.
Or brought in for games against particularly meaty aerial teams who don't have pace up front.

However, he's got the Europa games for turning over in the meantime at least.

Verward

He was accident waiting to happen when he came on to pitch the other day. He is such a liability when he is on pitch.

lex talionis

It’s hard to forget the transfer fee and wages, but if we can overlook that for a moment Maguire is actually an outstanding third CB to have on the roster.

Dempsey19

I believe ETH quickly figured out after first 2 games that Maguire is detrimental to his plan. Now that Maguire (and Shaw) are dropped we have immensely improved defence wise.

I can see Maguire/Shaw/AWB all being sold at the end of this season to make way for more players that can do what ETH wants.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Up there with the worst players we've ever signed, he's a big part why the dressing room was so divided last season, Eric Bailey just confirm what we already knew.
Should be sold next summer, probably the worst Englishman we've ever signed.

city-puma

It doesn’t seem like that. If they hate that fact, they should only vent the hate to the managers regularly playing him rather than Maguire. No?

Greck

He was accident waiting to happen when he came on to pitch the other day. He is such a liability when he is on pitch.
Having not seen him for several games one thing he all reminded one was just how many needless foul situations his lack of athleticism creates.
It’s hard to forget the transfer fee and wages, but if we can overlook that for a moment Maguire is actually an outstanding third CB to have on the roster.
Turns out Varane and Martinez really were his ideal CB partners. Empowered him in a way that isn't detrimental to himself or the team.

TOKUGAWA-X

The captain looked very decent, no mistakes at all, no doubt this performance would do him good.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It's obviously not his fault we lost... And he didn't have a bad game or anything...

But it kinda funny that we lost when he came back in the side...poor bloke

Chief123

I can not wait to see the day this guy is gone. Slow, mind numbing build up. Has the intensity of a dead rabbit.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Complete performance. He even had his trademark of losing tackle and left 3 against 2 at the back.

Thank god, DDG saved the day with his rare pro-active sweeping.

crossy1686

career ending
He has zero intensity and looks slower by the game but he hasn’t played a lot this season so far and he looks like the type of player that has to play to stay sharp. Didn’t disgrace himself tonight though so there’s always that

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He was fine. The back 4 first half or second half definitely wasn't the problem today.

SER19

He's finished here this is his last season. Ten Hag has dropped him already and he might do fine in another team but he has no skills to play football under ten hag. Hes kept as an adequate sub and will be moved on in summer

AdNani

Not a bad game, but every thing he does is so fecking slow, when he's in the team, the tempo drops hugely

Status
Not open for further replies.