Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
If it was Martinez, he'd be praised.. No nonsense Warrior, Hero and whatnot..

Casemiro messed up a pass and Maguire took one for the team and got booked.
How is it tragic comedy.

Agenda against Maguire is honestly sickening.
Spot on.

Jesus dominated our CBs all game.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...

How is it tragic comedy.

it comes from a person who doesn't rate Maguire but blaming him for the yellow card is just daft. He did what was the right choice.
However, if you look at the situation again you will notice how slow Maguire is on a turn. Just incredible.

Jericho

It was Casemiro's fault that the defence got exposed like that, he fecked up giving the ball away. But after that for me it was just another reminder of how uncomfortable Maguire is with players running at him. His lack of pace and immobility are a real problem when he's on the pitch. The game often seems too quick for him. He needs to be in a low block with everything happening in front of him. When players start running at him and in behind him his limitations become exposed. Add to this his tendency to switch off and the fact that he's fairly error prone for a player at this level. He's a liability on the pitch for us. In different system he may well thrive, but I don't see it happening here.

Reactions: Sultan

florisW

Supports
Ajax
Spot on.

Did I miss something? Did he score? Because that is dominating a CB. That is his sole purpose to score. I must have missed Arsenal’s win. Sorry for that

Tony247

About the yellow. I watched it again. Casemiro lost the ball quite high up on the pitch, in fact in Arsenal half. Jesus then ran for 20 odd yards towards Maguire. Maguire had all the time in the world to close on to him, made a clean tackle or put his body across to slow him down. When he brought Jesus down it was 3 (united) against them 2. Direction towards which Jesus was running had no Arsenal player and space was covered by united.

In context Casemiro lost the ball in Arsenal half and Maguire committed foul near his box.

Maguire could have done better IMHO. He committed professional foul because he had to due to his lack of pace and judgement.

Pat Cat

How is it tragic comedy.

Martinez literally fouled Jesus in the first half after fecking up a much more favourable situation and also got spun in the second half by him but nobody will hear a word against him while Maguire apparently had a cameo worthy of his League 1 level talent. It's mental

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Harry should have never ended up with Manchester United. He lacks pace, he is thin skinned and his defensive awareness is too crap to play in a high line at a club like United. If our club was properly run then he would have never been signed on that ridiculous fee and we would have cut the losses the moment it became evident that he's not good enough. That's what the likes of City would have done. We kept him instead and now our 80m signing and captain is just a living/talking meme.

Just get him out as soon as possible. Its good for every party involved.

spiriticon

I don't focus too much on the yellow card, but for sure my confidence in the team dropped a few levels when he came on.

It was a good thing we had about 8 defenders out there in the final 15 min.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I am sure he must have been a nervous wreck when he came on as a sub. If he failed to win the ball, the yellow card was the right thing to do in the circumstances.

RonaldoVII

Martinez literally fouled Jesus in the first half after fecking up a much more favourable situation and also got spun in the second half by him but nobody will hear a word against him while Maguire apparently had a cameo worthy of his League 1 level talent. It's mental
Welcome to RedCafe.

Doracle

About the yellow. I watched it again. Casemiro lost the ball quite high up on the pitch, in fact in Arsenal half. Jesus then ran for 20 odd yards towards Maguire. Maguire had all the time in the world to close on to him, made a clean tackle or put his body across to slow him down. When he brought Jesus down it was 3 (united) against them 2. Direction towards which Jesus was running had no Arsenal player and space was covered by united.

In context Casemiro lost the ball in Arsenal half and Maguire committed foul near his box.

Maguire could have done better IMHO. He committed professional foul because he had to due to his lack of pace and judgement.
Can someone show a clip please of Casemiro losing the ball in Arsenal’s half? My recollection is that he lost the ball in a very dangerous area, giving Jesus the ideal time to get up to speed before Maguire had to go out to stop him but, of course, my memory may be playing tricks on me.

A-man

Can someone show a clip please of Casemiro losing the ball in Arsenal’s half? My recollection is that he lost the ball in a very dangerous area, giving Jesus the ideal time to get up to speed before Maguire had to go out to stop him but, of course, my memory may be playing tricks on me.
Casemiro lost the ball just on the other side (Arsenals side). Maguire backtracked him and in the end Jesus got up to high speed, turned in centrally and while Varanes guy ran in between the CBs. I think taking a yellow was the right thing to do. If he hadn’t stopped him, Varane would have been alone with two forwards at full speed. Maguire is poor when isolated 1v1, but in this very situation, few CBs could have done better imo.

Tony247

I am sure he must have been a nervous wreck when he came on as a sub. If he failed to win the ball, the yellow card was the right thing to do in the circumstances.
Yeh, it was a right thing to do for him otherwise he was losing Jesus.

Sylar

Either the man or the ball, not both. It was fine.

I think he (with Shaw and AWB) will be Europa / cup players. And its fine, it will still get him minutes, game time and allow for resting of the new backline.

justsomebloke

No, that's mental. Martinez had a solid game, Maguire unfortunately definitely did not have a confidence-inspiring cameo. I thought it was pretty stunning how insecure he looked.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
If he continues to sit on the bench, he will most likely ask for a transfer next summer. Issue solved

Pat Cat

No, that's mental. Martinez had a solid game, Maguire unfortunately definitely did not have a confidence-inspiring cameo. I thought it was pretty stunning how insecure he looked.
How is it mental? Everything I said there is indisputable.

Real Name

Spot on.

This is offtopic, but how on earth did he dominate our CBs all game?

Ontopic: Too much done about Maguire's level, he did what he had to do in the circumstances but criticism is going over the top and that's been the situation for a long time now.

justsomebloke

How is it mental? Everything I said there is indisputable.
Haha. No. As far as I can see, Martinez had a strong game with lots and lots of positives to offset against his few moments of trouble, while Maguire had a worryingly weak cameo all round. It's not just the yellow card situation.

Last edited:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I feel a bit sad for him.

He is obviously not in any form or even not that good and yet is at a club where it’s own fanbase are making fun of him every chance it gets.

It’s a shame really. I just wonder if Karma will ever return this type of evil back to the people that dish it out in the first place.

Our rivals always have a better fan base than ours. Respect to them.

Robbie Boy

I feel a bit sad for him.

He is obviously not in any form or even not that good and yet is at a club where it’s own fanbase are making fun of him every chance it gets.

It’s a shame really. I just wonder if Karma will ever return this type of evil back to the people that dish it out in the first place.

Our rivals always have a better fan base than ours. Respect to them.
Course they do bud; Arsenal fans have been known to openly boo players, Liverpool fans are having constant digs at Salah this season, despite being one of their best players for years. There are literally countless other examples, but yeah, all our fans are ever so mean.

Maybe, just maybe, you notice it more as you support the club? Funnily enough, I feel our fans have been ridiculously patient with underperforming managers and players for a long time now. Fergie, Keano etc set really high standards at this club, which have totally fallen by the wayside since Fergie retired.

Fabio Rochemback

It's only four games, but McTominay seems to have improved a lot under EtH. Maybe there's hope for Maguire, under a good coach?

Stadjer

Did I miss something? Did he score? Because that is dominating a CB. That is his sole purpose to score. I must have missed Arsenal’s win. Sorry for that
A striker can dominate a centreback without scoring. I also didnt know we went back in time 20+ years where the striker his sole purpose is to score a goal. If all a striker needed to do is to score goals why isnt Ronaldo starting games then?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
A striker can dominate a centreback without scoring. I also didnt know we went back in time 20+ years where the striker his sole purpose is to score a goal. If all a striker needed to do is to score goals why isnt Ronaldo starting games then?
He didnt dominate any CB

Chief123

The reason why Martinez isn’t getting stick for a couple of mistakes he made is because it hasn’t been the norm for him. Unfortunately, Maguire is regularly involved in situations where unforced errors are leading chances against us.

Everyone accepts that all players will make mistakes. Every player will give the ball away or switch off now and then. But when it happens repeatedly that’s where the concerns lie.

I genuinely don’t believe fans need a reason to just single out and destroy a player on their own team just because they have an “agenda” against him. There’s always going to be players who are favoured by groups of fans or little tribes. But the reason Maguire seems to be overwhelming targeted is because as much as all fans would want to get behind him, it’s hard to when everything he does leaves you feeling high levels of anxiety in the hope he doesn’t make a mistake. It has got to the point where it’s more relief that he doesn’t make a mistake than even wishing he plays really well.

Yes, I completely agree Casemiro was at primary fault for that incident. However, that isn’t the norm for Casemiro hence he will get leeway. My concern is Maguire’s attempt to recover the situation was uncomfortable to watch and not even down to the fact he just came on as sub. It happens on numerous occasions where he is slow and not very agile to deal with those kind of scenarios where you have to be quick on your feet.

I get the whole “take one for the team” with the yellow card. In that instance with us leading the game by 2 goals it was the right thing to do. But my concern is he would probably do the same if it was 0-0 and only 5 mins gone. He would carry a yellow card for the remainder of the game. Whereas I’m certain the likes of Varane and Martinez would have tried to compete with Jesus one v one physically while shepherding and jostling with him. They wouldn’t have just completely cleaned him out.

I believe that’s where the frustrations have come from despite the fact he didn’t do too much wrong other than look awkward when he came on. Even though it was never a penalty, the way he ran into the back of Nketiah could easily have led to a penalty on another day just because of his size and lack of agility carrying him into the path of the player.

We can sit and argue with each other to death about whether he’s good enough or not but that’s a matter of opinion which many will differ on. The concern I have is I just don’t feel confident at all in our ability to be in control of a game when he is playing with the concern always being what passage of play is going to lead to a mistake today.

Bebestation

Course they do bud; Arsenal fans have been known to openly boo players, Liverpool fans are having constant digs at Salah this season, despite being one of their best players for years. There are literally countless other examples, but yeah, all our fans are ever so mean.

Maybe, just maybe, you notice it more as you support the club? Funnily enough, I feel our fans have been ridiculously patient with underperforming managers and players for a long time now. Fergie, Keano etc set really high standards at this club, which have totally fallen by the wayside since Fergie retired.
That’s okay. I’ve said it before - Liverpool were able to win CL titles with players like Milan Baros, Hamaan, Traore, Rise etc That was such a mediocre team and a team that our fans would try to get mentally shot down so that they leave the squad.

I’ve always wondered why certain clubs can win when they are shit whilst certain clubs can only win when they are at their bests.

Robbie Boy

That’s okay. I’ve said it before - Liverpool were able to win CL titles with players like Milan Baros, Hamaan, Traore, Rise etc That was such a mediocre team and a team that our fans would try to get mentally shot down so that they leave the squad.

I’ve always wondered why certain clubs can win when they are shit whilst certain clubs can only win when they are at their bests.
That random part about Liverpool :lol:

You're talking absolute shite; so now it's our fans that are responsible for some of our players being terrible for a long while now? The support at OT doesn't reflect what gets said online about our players, so are you insinuating that they read the Caf, Twitter etc. all the time?

Funny isn't it; I've seen Liverpool fans berate Hendo and Milner quite a-bit this season - saying they're past it etc - but sure these players have been responsible for a big period of success for the club. I guess they just have, you know, standards. Anyone insulting Maguire isn't being constructive, but he certainly deserves criticism based on his form over the past 18 odd months.

This line ' Our rivals always have a better fan base than ours. Respect to them. ' was pure and utter hyperbole and you know it. Funny too that you seem to have your favourites like Maguire, but have no issue obsessively slagging off Sancho in the Rashford thread. Guess you are a contributor to our ever so awful fanbase.

Lentwood

The new lads in the back four are definitely benefitting from the 'honeymoon effect' and from a much better all-round shape, defensive effort and lower-block.

I really like what I have seen from Martinez so far but if we're being objective he made one critical mistake on Sunday when he was levered off the ball in a dangerous position that led to a good chance and also a less-significant but still notable mistake when he was done by Jesus in the first couple of minutes and had to foul him.

Likewise, Malacia was done twice in the first half in dangerous positions by Saka and then again in bizarre fashion in the 2nd-half leading to probably Arsenal's best chance (bar the actual goal) when Malacia gambled on Saka coming inside and was left completely for dead, only for Saka to thrash the chance across goal with his right-foot.

And...Varane was at fault for the goal, losing possession in a dangerous area and then being left out-of-position as a result. He was also bullied several times by a smaller man (Jesus) who was able to win territory and multiple free-kicks against him.

Now...I am not so much getting at these lads, because I like them all, I am saying (as usual) to temper your hyperbole and be objective. I think some of you, if you're being honest, would admit that if Maguire, Shaw or AWB made these mistakes you'd be going in on them on here. Fact is, if you have the 'will' to do so, you can probably find a way to blame either CB or the GK for every single goal that a team concedes.

Personally I think we can debate Maguire vs Varane vs Martinez. I think there's definitely merit in that and it's close.

I have to say, I am yet to be convinced Malacia is actually a better footballer than Shaw. Better attitude, maybe. Better energy, for sure. However, in terms of footballing ability I don't think it's close. So hopefully Shaw can use this as a kick-up-the-arse to work harder and try to win his place back because we need proper competition

Bebestation

That random part about Liverpool :lol:

You're talking absolute shite; so now it's our fans that are responsible for some of our players being terrible for a long while now? The support at OT doesn't reflect what gets said online about our players, so are you insinuating that they read the Caf, Twitter etc. all the time?

Funny isn't it; I've seen Liverpool fans berate Hendo and Milner quite a-bit this season - saying they're past it etc - but sure these players have been responsible for a big period of success for the club. I guess they just have, you know, standards. Anyone insulting Maguire isn't being constructive, but he certainly deserves criticism based on his form over the past 18 odd months.

This line ' Our rivals always have a better fan base than ours. Respect to them. ' was pure and utter hyperbole and you know it. Funny too that you seem to have your favourites like Maguire, but have no issue obsessively slagging off Sancho in the Rashford thread. Guess you are a contributor to our ever so awful fanbase.
Aww, that’s why your hurt - because of Sancho!

I knew it was that. Cute!

I put down Sancho not because I don’t rate him, but because he is treated like a player who is rated on his Dortmund ability than his United ability whilst everyone is putting down Rashford down every chance they get and saying he is going to be in subs bench. Maguire and Rashford has performed for United whilst Sancho has not.

Like wise you Robbie boy - you seem to have your favorites likes protecting new boys like Sancho whilst believing Maguire has had been given too much patience by the fan base :lol: where’s the patience for the others!

Now mug off and don’t talk to me.

Robbie Boy

Aww, that’s why your hurt - because of Sancho!

I knew it was that. Cute!

I put down Sancho not because I don’t rate him, but because he is treated like a player who is rated on his Dortmund ability than his United ability whilst everyone is putting down Rashford down every chance they get and saying he is going to be in subs bench. Maguire and Rashford has performed for United whilst Sancho has not.

Like wise you Robbie boy - you seem to have your favorites likes protecting new boys like Sancho whilst believing Maguire has had been given too much patience by the fan base :lol: where’s the patience for the others!

Now mug off and don’t talk to me.
I don't give a shite about Sancho laddo - I just think posters like you with your little favourites like Maguire, are absolute hypocrites! I called you out yesterday because you wouldn't shut the feck up about Sancho in the Rashford thread.

Sure you don't need to make up waffle about our fanbase; just be honest and say you're butt hurt because people are criticising one of your favourites, in Maguire.

Where have I protected Sancho? Bring the receipts baby. I don't have my little favourites, as I take it most grown adults don't? I thought fan-boys are teens, no?

Bebestation

I don't give a shite about Sancho laddo - I just think posters like you with your little favourites like Maguire, are absolute hypocrites! I called you out yesterday because you wouldn't shut the feck up about Sancho in the Rashford thread.

Sure you don't need to make up waffle about our fanbase; just be honest and say you're butt hurt because people are criticising one of your favourites, in Maguire.

Where have I protected Sancho? Bring the receipts baby. I don't have my little favourites, as I take it most grown adults don't? I thought fan-boys are teens, no?
and you don’t have your favorites where Maguire has had too much patience..but hey let Sancho have all the time in the world.

I actually like Sancho and only put him down because Rashford’s apparently bench worthy when he is on 5 g+a in 6 games and people think Sancho has been the better player.

Bebestation

@Robbie Boy and I’ve said Maguire is not good enough for us - but I think the amount of hatred he is getting from nearly a million people is shocking.

the same with Rashford. Millions of people hate him.

Sancho is being put down by only a few people that can be counted by hands in comparison so I don’t feel sorry for them.

Kostov

How is it tragic comedy.

Can you imagine what would have happened if he made the same mistakes that Martinez did against Jesus in this game alone? Or if McT fecked up the like Casemiro did? The internet would be full of it.

Lyng

Personally I think we can debate Maguire vs Varane vs Martinez. I think there's definitely merit in that and it's close.

I have to say, I am yet to be convinced Malacia is actually a better footballer than Shaw. Better attitude, maybe. Better energy, for sure. However, in terms of footballing ability I don't think it's close. So hopefully Shaw can use this as a kick-up-the-arse to work harder and try to win his place back because we need proper competition
two games with Shaw and Maguire = We lost
4 games with Martinez - Varane and Malacia = We won

Its that simple.

Robbie Boy

and you don’t have your favorites where Maguire has had too much patience..but hey let Sancho have all the time in the world.

I actually like Sancho and only put him down because Rashford’s apparently bench worthy when he is on 5 g+a in 6 games and people think Sancho has been the better player.
I have players I like more than others, but nah, I don't fan-boy over certain players and get bent out of shape when they receive criticism.

Sancho wasn't even mentioned yesterday, yet I saw you had mentioned him 3 times for no particular reason. There is a weird culture on here whereby people think it's ok to praise 'x' player no matter what, yet criticise 'y' player as much as they want. Sancho hasn't been great at all since he signed, and Rashford hasn't been great at all for a long while now, but seems to have picked up form this season.

Lyng

Well, that logic is completely rock-solid and impossible to debate
When you have several seasons with absolute shocking defending from Maguire and Shaw and you start the new season with the same shocking display, and then they get replaced and suddenly the defence is looking rock solid, then yes its kind of impossible to debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.