Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

OmarUnited4ever

Had no choice but to foul Jesus, took one for the team, nothing else of note happened after that, did his bit and the criticisms seems a bit harsh and unnecessary.

Lecland07

I don't think he really did anything wrong. The yellow was more on Casemiro and it was better to stop him there. He also made a good decision to stand still and just let their striker run into him in the box.

He will be criticised, though, because he is Maguire.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The yellow looks bad from an aesthetic standpoint but it wasn't actually bad, he was put in a bad situation by Casemiro. The issue is everything else, his marking was bad and his passion for being 1 or 2 meter behind the defensive line is mind-numbing.
Didn’t want to be the first to say this as I don’t want to be the one putting the boot in, so thank you. :lol:

It was one of the reasons the anxiety was elevated - Martinez is out there attacking men/space/time on the front-foot with no doubt or hesitation and then Maguire comes on and is dropping behind his line and not reading play, particularly glaring because we’re becoming accustomed to aggressive, decisive actions back there.

SAFMUTD

I don't understand why Harry is preferred over Lindelof.
We were holding up the result it was clear Arsenal was going to bomb our box with deliveries. Maguire as awful as he is in open space he's really solid when playing compact and can deal with the aerial threat.

FatTails

I’m speechless. Go back to July and most were shitting on Varane and saying Maguire is ahead of him in the pecking order. Go back a couple of weeks and many wanted him starting over Martinez.

He looked clueless when he came on today. Almost gave away a penalty too. It’s not good. We need competent backups to our Rio-Vidic regens.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Didn’t want to be the first to say this as I don’t want to be the one putting the boot in, so thank you. :lol:

It was one of the reasons the anxiety was elevated - Martinez is out there attacking men/space/time on the front-foot with no doubt or hesitation and then Maguire comes on and is dropping behind his line and not reading play, particularly glaring because we’re becoming accustomed to aggressive, decisive actions back there.
You are welcome, coward! :lol:

The thing that I don't get is that Maguire is a big lad, he should play as a traditional stopper with a sort of sweeper next to him which is what Varane excels at but for some strange reason Maguire plays behind everyone.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
You are welcome, coward! :lol:

The thing that I don't get is that Maguire is a big lad, he should play as a traditional stopper with a sort of sweeper next to him which is what Varane excels at but for some strange reason Maguire plays behind everyone.
:lol:

:angel:

Lyng

The free kick was because Cassamiro gave the ball away at a horrible spot which put Jesus one on one with Maguire. Maguire did the smart thing and fouled him as he's never going to be able to beat Jesus in a foot race. Especially when the ball is given away in such a cheap manner that it would put any defender on the back foot.
Absolutely it was Casemiros fault. Like I said Maguire did well when he came on.

Red-17

It is absolutely pathetic the amount of blame people place on him. Just pure scapegoating at this point. Coming into a back 4 while defending deep with 15 minutes left is not an easy position especially when one of the first things you have to do is defend a 1v1 because of a cheap giveaway ahead of you.

TheGame

It is absolutely pathetic the amount of blame people place on him. Just pure scapegoating at this point. Coming into a back 4 while defending deep with 15 minutes left is not an easy position especially when one of the first things you have to do is defend a 1v1 because of a cheap giveaway ahead of you.
Exactly, people with real chips on shoulders fecking constantly having a go at him. Getting tedious and definitely certain people have their agendas.

Sviken

He should be moved on, tbh. United is just simply not his level.

Tony247

Some debate over his yellow. Yes, Casemiro put him in bad place but the reason Harry had to commit a professional foul at dangerous position was because he was a yard slower to clean tackle or at least put his body between.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
IMy first reaction on that yellow was "here we go again, you slabhead". But then watching the reply, it was a pretty decisive action. It was two on two, and if he's a better CB should not afraid of going 1 on 1 against Jesus. But he's not, and he took the best option.

Red-17

Some debate over his yellow. Yes, Casemiro put him in bad place but the reason Harry had to commit a professional foul at dangerous position was because he was a yard slower to clean tackle or at least put his body between.
I would rather he take a yellow there then try and stay with him only have to make the same foul in the box if he doesn't come up with it. No center back is going to win every 1v1 in that scenario, so taking a for sure yellow card and a free kick that is 25 yards out is perfectly fine for me over risking getting beaten or trying to stick with them and conceding a penalty.

Tony247

IMy first reaction on that yellow was "here we go again, you slabhead". But then watching the reply, it was a pretty decisive action. It was two on two, and if he's a better CB should not afraid of going 1 on 1 against Jesus. But he's not, and he took the best option.
Yes he did what best he could do in that situation.

204Red

I rememeber seeing him on TV warming up behind ETH giving Ronaldo instructions before he came on and i thought "god i hope this donkey doesnt come on".

Any United fan whose nerves didnt jump when they saw McGuire come on is lying.

Djemba-Djemba

The yellow card was him doing the right thing.

Casemiro made an error and Maguire made the smart choice to commit the foul, take the yellow and kill their attack.

I've been as critical about Maguire in the last year as anyone but that booking today was fine.

Mmm-Qatarian

My heart rate increased when he came on and he wasn't exactly great but he didn't actually do a whole lot wrong either. The yellow card was Casemiro's fault; once Maguire's put in that position taking the foul is most likely the smart option.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Oooor...watch this; he could have stopped Jesus without foul? Like good defenders do? No?

Support him in what? In making United's defence shit?
So when your DM gives the ball away in an area where you are on your heels you expect him to just tackle him cleanly. So I guess that means no other central defender ever purposely fouls people? Give your head a shake. To put that on maguire is purely scapegoating. Cassamiro put him in an awkward position and Maguire did what any other defender would have done. enough with the agenda and scapegoating already. Put blame on players when they do wrong, NOT when others do wrong

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
So Cassamiro gives the ball away cheaply in a horrible position and Maguire does the smart thing and fouls Jesus and people are talking about how poor Maguire is? Our fans are absolute toxic. He didn't put a foot wrong. I even see one post saying "he almost caused 2 penalties". When did he almost cause penalties? When he made clean tackles? The agenda is so strong against Maguire people are actually insulting him for making tackles. You guys are pathetic. Try supporting our players for a change. Absolutely brutal...
Normally I find you extremely biased towards Maguire, but this time I agree with you. Taking the yellow was definitely the right decision to make, and the 'penalties' certainly weren't penalties. People are going overboard with their criticisms here.

Mike Smalling

He wasn't a disaster, but it was still clear, why he shouldn't be starting important games for us anytime soon. So clumsy.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
His awkwardness stands out more being brought on as a sub. We really should sell him, for his career.

Newtonius

Even Arsenal Fans know whats up

They no longer look like a disjointed side, which was their biggest issue really.

We're left to check if whenever Varane or Martinez get injured Captain Maguire will bring the errors and uncertainty back

Devil81

His awkwardness stands out more being brought on as a sub. We really should sell him, for his career.
He's so slow and clumsy it's pretty sad to see. When he came on there was a visual nervous air around the defence and speed of moving the ball out of defence.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
The yellow card was absolutely fine. He got sold a poor pass and better to take the booking than risk Jesus clawing a goal back and leading to an uncomfortable finish to the game. We had a lot of height in the team at that point and were always going to be confident defending set pieces.

crossy1686

career ending
What a terrifying reminder of what we're just one injury away of.
:lol: Thought the same to be honest. Hopefully he’s just lacking match sharpness and will get a run out on Thursdays moving forward. I hope he regains some kind of form so we have a decent back up and for his sake he doesn’t go down as the worst signing/captain/CB in United’s history

Status
Not open for further replies.