Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

rooney2009

Harry is the new scapegoat
Just leave the players alone,we need a good squad this season
Let ETH decide the team,we need the full squad this season
Let’s support our players, especially after we’ve just beaten the league leaders

Hulme91

Had no choice but to foul Jesus, took one for the team, nothing else of note happened after that, did his bit and the criticisms seems a bit harsh and unnecessary.
It's a bit of a pile on with him at the minute tbh, everything he does gets scrutinised to a ridiculous degree
He made a routine tackle on someone (which gets turned into him almost giving away a penalty) and took the yellow in 10 minutes of play. Nothing of note

DickDastardly

Imagine being a defender that gets praised for "making the right choice" when fouling a CF who's making a run at you.

So that's what, 2 times a forward runs at you and it's 2 yellow cards and you're out kind of defending is praised?!?

What kind of standards are you folks running here?!

You do know there is an option of - Defending?

Litch

Whilst it right he’s coming off the bench, any criticism of him today is nonsense. Yes he fouled Jesus but Christ (excuse the pun) its never easy picking up the speed and intensity of the game when coming on….give him a break

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Sorry, but Maguire needs to leave the club. For his own sanity and progression, he should be off in January, perhaps to a Championship side with ambition, just to take the heat off for a while.

If Southgate still picks him for the World Cup, it will only just confirm what we've suspected all along.

Mmm-Qatarian

Imagine being a defender that gets praised for "making the right choice" when fouling a CF who's making a run at you.

So that's what, 2 times a forward runs at you and it's 2 yellow cards and you're out kind of defending is praised?!?

What kind of standards are you folks running here?!

You do know there is an option of - Defending?
There are thousands of instances of players taking a card in order to prevent an opposition attack, especially when said player's team is leading the match.

Gabriel Jesus was giving our defence a hard time quite often throughout the match, and he was given a lot of space to work with because Casemiro had given the ball away so cheaply. Given all of this and the state of the game, it was probably the right call to take the card and give away a free-kick which isn't going in 95% of the time.

Put it this way: Nobody would be batting an eye had, for instance, Ruben Dias done what Maguire did in that situation.

Vapor trail

Exactly, people with real chips on shoulders fecking constantly having a go at him. Getting tedious and definitely certain people have their agendas.
I think it goes both ways the problem when fans rate Maguire is they are at two opposite ends of extremism. When he was in decent form he was called one of the best in the league which was inaccurate and a large amount of the fan base believed it you can simply scroll back in this thread. Then there are times when the team loses and Maguire is wrongly highlighted as the sole reason for the loss which is also inaccurate.

The reality however is that the team looks far better without his inclusion. Fans recognize this and so do the players, Eriksen mentioned in his interview the ability to defend a lead. ETHs comments when United beat Liverpool is the biggest determination to Maguire's role within this team. He mentioned the need for the defence to have experience (Varane) and mobility.

I don't think Maguire is a bad defender but he's a very conditional player. The conditions he thrives in are aspects that ETH seemingly is not planning for. Back three and or low block defensive line. If Maguire can reinvent himself and adapt then he easily features more.

Zoo

So Cassamiro gives the ball away cheaply in a horrible position and Maguire does the smart thing and fouls Jesus and people are talking about how poor Maguire is? Our fans are absolute toxic. He didn't put a foot wrong. I even see one post saying "he almost caused 2 penalties". When did he almost cause penalties? When he made clean tackles? The agenda is so strong against Maguire people are actually insulting him for making tackles. You guys are pathetic. Try supporting our players for a change. Absolutely brutal...
Well said.

SAFMUTD

He's a scapegoat at this point, he had a solid game he didn't nothing great nothing wrong. blaming him for the yellow card is dumb, Casemiro lost the ball very foolishly and we were not organized in the back, Maguire made the right call fouling Gabriel Jesus to stop the counter.

Based Adnan

Standards are so low for Maguire that a player running at him and him fouling for a yellow card is deemed a good decision worthy of praise

city-puma

It's a bit of a pile on with him at the minute tbh, everything he does gets scrutinised to a ridiculous degree
He made a routine tackle on someone (which gets turned into him almost giving away a penalty) and took the yellow in 10 minutes of play. Nothing of note
It’s a decision well taken even though he had to take a yellow card. Ronaldo thought he was so smart and it made MCT in extremely difficult situation surrounded by their three players pressing. Maguire did the right thing to haul Jesus down before he could run into the box. We at that time must be stable and keep two goal advantage.

Replenish

I'm not going to exaggerate and say he did anything majorly wrong when he came on but his lack of mobility is laughable at this point and that in itself leads to opposition attackers flying past him completely disrupting the balance of our defence. Mobile pacey attackers in around Maguire means certain trouble, he either has to commit a foul to stop them or leaves us completely exposed. You could just feel the defence was weaker and more uncertain when he come on.

He should be nowhere near this team, even as a sub. Lindelof should be ahead of him if someone is to come off the bench.

I fear we are in serious trouble if one of Varane or Martinez gets injured if Maguire is the one to come in and cover.

city-puma

He's a scapegoat at this point, he had a solid game he didn't nothing great nothing wrong. blaming him for the yellow card is dumb, Casemiro lost the ball very foolishly and we were not organized in the back, Maguire made the right call fouling Gabriel Jesus to stop the counter.
It’s not dumb but stupid to bash him for the yellow card.

Wing Attack Plan R

I feel really bad for Maguire. He wanted to play for United just like Antony, but the system changed out from under him. I've seen memes and insults from United fans in other United groups, and it's way out of hand and unnecessary. He might not be your cup of tea (and he certainly is not mine), but I don't wish him ill, and the insults and jokes about him should stop, at least from United fans.

Anyway, I saw today why Maguire's style is such a jarring juxtaposition with ETH's preferred defensive style: watch when Maguire is running back, keeping Jesus honest, at the moment Maguire decides he's going to challenge him, Maguire doesn't bend or swerve his run into him; he basically plants a foot and steps forward bringing his entire moment to a halt. At that moment it was simply a piece of cake to get around him, and Maguire had to foul Jesus. Maguire stepped up like he was going to do a hockey-style hip check on him, when he instead he just needed to try to separate the ball from the player.

A player like Martinez (and even Lindelof) will run alongside and try and nip in to nick the ball or slow the attacker down by keeping them off their preferred line to goal. Any defender with pace will basically defend that way, but Maguire doesn't have pace and he doesn't shift his weight easily, meaning he's slow to change from his right to his left shoulder.

To sum up, I just don't think Maguire can play in this style. He succeeds in a classic "English" style of physically blocking players and clearing crosses away with headers [edit: he would play as a stopper]. He isn't nimble enough, or agile enough, or quick enough, or good enough with his feet to play in possession-based team. I wish the player well, but I don't see him getting back into the side. That cameo against Arsenal was a précis of why he won't make it.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I actually agree ETH to bring him on - only when we are in 2 goal lead cushion in final 10 mins, and in order to rest our key defender.

liman

I was nervous just by looking at him moving around, i bet that's how his teammates feels when they play with him.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
It was funny to see him come on and immediately get booked in a tragic comedy kinda way.

Andersonson

If you go through this thread you can understand why players struggle with their mental health. You also understand what kind of people who mocks players on instagram and Twitter

manutddjw

Victim of the price tag. He had a good first season I’ll give him that, but he’s nowhere near a record defender signing. If he came from our academy we’d say he’s a good squad player. Definitely not good enough to be starting though. Lampard is dumb so hopefully he doesn’t get sacked and gives us a lifeline

Waynne

So Cassamiro gives the ball away cheaply in a horrible position and Maguire does the smart thing and fouls Jesus and people are talking about how poor Maguire is? Our fans are absolute toxic. He didn't put a foot wrong. I even see one post saying "he almost caused 2 penalties". When did he almost cause penalties? When he made clean tackles? The agenda is so strong against Maguire people are actually insulting him for making tackles. You guys are pathetic. Try supporting our players for a change. Absolutely brutal...
The amount of online hate and straight up abuse for Maguire is sickening. Even when he's not playing he's getting stick from some fans.
They even trolled his wedding photos in Facebook.
Some people are just fecking sick in the head.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The amount of online hate and straight up abuse for Maguire is sickening. Even when he's not playing he's getting stick from some fans.
They even trolled his wedding photos in Facebook.
Some people are just fecking sick in the head.
I hate this about our fan base. They talk about how players have become ‘meme’s when it’s usually just them in the first place who have made our players that.

We get that Harry is not good - but it’s like the fan base then want him to feel mentally depressed on top of this.

Give some support for god sake.

bringbackbebe

Looked so clumsy. I'd have Lindelof over him these days
Lindelof is equally bad, if not worse. Gets away by keeping a low profile and not talking too much like Captain.

I hate this about our fan base. They talk about how players have become ‘meme’s when it’s usually just them in the first place who have made our players that.

We get that Harry is not good - but it’s like the fan base then want him to feel mentally depressed on top of this.

Give some support for god sake.
You can show the fans they're wrong by actually performing? Not sure if Harry's done that this season yet.

fallengt

Just hope he plays well in europa league and worldcup (:nervous:) so we can sell him for decent fee next season.

Kostov

He came on and automatically improved our defense, he is that good. ;)

He was fine, took one of for the team after Casemiro fecked up, and won some headers later on.

big_black_dog

It was funny to see him come on and immediately get booked in a tragic comedy kinda way.
If it was Martinez, he'd be praised.. No nonsense Warrior, Hero and whatnot..

Casemiro messed up a pass and Maguire took one for the team and got booked.
How is it tragic comedy.

Agenda against Maguire is honestly sickening.

Reactions: Jippy

romufc

No, literally his point is that many thought even before the deals were official that it was a waste of money and both players had severe deficiencies for the prices we were paying. And trying to compare that to signing Casemiro, a fecking 4x UCL winner and one of the best DM’s of the past 20 years is daft. Neither Maguire nor AWB had anything close to that experience. On the contrary, both spent much of their careers fighting relegation
I love when people try to have mind reading ability over the internet, seems like you have that talent too.

I tell you why I think that, I actually posted a post from the poster when Maguire was signed and he was all for it, saying " "I'll pay the money for him. He's the best defender we can get this market, as Koulibaly is an unrealistic target. "

So don't come on here with hindsight saying people said xyz when they actually didnt.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I feel really bad for Maguire. He wanted to play for United just like Antony, but the system changed out from under him. I've seen memes and insults from United fans in other United groups, and it's way out of hand and unnecessary. He might not be your cup of tea (and he certainly is not mine), but I don't wish him ill, and the insults and jokes about him should stop, at least from United fans.

Anyway, I saw today why Maguire's style is such a jarring juxtaposition with ETH's preferred defensive style: watch when Maguire is running back, keeping Jesus honest, at the moment Maguire decides he's going to challenge him, Maguire doesn't bend or swerve his run into him; he basically plants a foot and steps forward bringing his entire moment to a halt. At that moment it was simply a piece of cake to get around him, and Maguire had to foul Jesus. Maguire stepped up like he was going to do a hockey-style hip check on him, when he instead he just needed to try to separate the ball from the player.

A player like Martinez (and even Lindelof) will run alongside and try and nip in to nick the ball or slow the attacker down by keeping them off their preferred line to goal. Any defender with pace will basically defend that way, but Maguire doesn't have pace and he doesn't shift his weight easily, meaning he's slow to change from his right to his left shoulder.

To sum up, I just don't think Maguire can play in this style. He succeeds in a classic "English" style of physically blocking players and clearing crosses away with headers [edit: he would play as a stopper]. He isn't nimble enough, or agile enough, or quick enough, or good enough with his feet to play in possession-based team. I wish the player well, but I don't see him getting back into the side. That cameo against Arsenal was a précis of why he won't make it.
Good summary

Lyng

I am probably one of the biggest Maguire critics on here, and honestly dont see him ever working out for us as a starter. But he did well when he came on yesterday. Yes the tackle was slightly clumsy but it was 100% Casemiro's fault that he had to do that foul in the first place. It was the correct decision and after that he did well. If he is satisfied with playing the cup games and being a sub, I would be very happy with keeping him as a squad option.

Status
Not open for further replies.