Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven

It's sad seeing what he's become. Stylistically I never liked him but he was a decent player, right now he's probably the worst CB I've ever seen. He looks like someone who needs a break from football.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's sad seeing what he's become. Stylistically I never liked him but he was a decent player, right now he's probably the worst CB I've ever seen. He looks like someone who needs a break from football.
I think he needs to be helped by his coaches. ETH has helped him by taking him out of the team because he's not good enough in the system he wants to play. Southgate hasn't helped him by keeping him as a key player when he's out of form and low on confidence.

It would piss me off as an England fan as if he doesn't keep playing for United then Southgate has had a couple of games to bed in someone like Tomori, hasn't used him and will rely on an unfit Maguire who will be prone to more mistakes.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
He's barely a defender these days. What does he even bring to any team?

- Passing: He may be able to kick the ball accurately over long distances, but he is not a good passer. He takes ages to do it and usually plays the receiver or himself into trouble. Ball-playing defenders don't take 5-6 touches before playing a simple pass to the FB.
- 1v1: Shambolic, anyone faster than a tortoise raises alarm bells and you can see the panic spread through him.
- Awareness: Countless times we've seen him not track simple runs in behind, and even when he does attempt it, he's so slow that hopeless punts down the channel become a real threat as he isn't able to get out quick enough. We've also all seen him hold his hand up like an idiot for offside calls when he's been too slow to push up and played everyone onside.

He brings decent heading ability, but a clogger from the Championship can bring that as well.

Doracle

We've seen it before at United, a spell of poor form invites pressure and it snowballs from there. The incident in Greece really didn't help either in terms of attracting even more scrutiny.

It's got to him because whatever you say about Maguire, he was before arriving here and in his first 36 months or so, a very composed player.

He now looks a bag of nerves. It's hard to see him turning this around whilst in the United spotlight.
He was shaky in the first few matches after Greece but then went on to have a very solid season. I’d have had him in the premier league TOTY for 20-21 and he was in the Euros TOTT.

I actually thought he had started to recover form at the end of last season and that he did okay in the first two matches this season. However, he doesn’t strike me as a player who can do well as third choice as he seems to need a run of games to start to look comfortable. Selling him in January for £10-15 million or so would be a good move for both parties now. We can rely on Jones as first choice CB cover.

FrantikChicken

Don't really understand how some think he's not at fault for the second goal. He lost the ball far up front, that's true. But he's not an attacking player - if he loses it, there's one man missing behind to defend the counter. Especially since he lost it in a central area and while dribbling towards his own goal. And it was a stupid dribbling to begin with. On top, he was far too passive when Havertz took his shot. Maguire defended an already defended area in which there wasn't even an opponent. So much that Shaw had to abandon his to pressure Havertz.

I think it's clear that the whole memefication of him goes too far and people should be more critical of it but he has far too many brain farts. I don't know if I ever saw a footballer who has such a collection of blunders. Even if he is decent in some areas, this overshadows every quality he has by far.
Yes but he also doesn’t help himself does he? The knee slide against Andorra for example.

He’s now posted on his instagram “mistakes are part of the game” like yes sure mate, but is that really what you want to be saying on social media right now?

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
He was shaky in the first few matches after Greece but then went on to have a very solid season. I’d have had him in the premier league TOTY for 20-21 and he was in the Euros TOTT.

I actually thought he had started to recover form at the end of last season and that he did okay in the first two matches this season. However, he doesn’t strike me as a player who can do well as third choice as he seems to need a run of games to start to look comfortable. Selling him in January for £10-15 million or so would be a good move for both parties now. We can rely on Jones as first choice CB cover.
Seriously?

saint Jose

It was a shambolic performance last night, its now beyond embarrassing and getting depressing that this clown still plays for us.

YES!!! slab is NOW a liability and net negative value to the club, he costs us games and destabilises the dressing room which has a knock on effect on all players. ONLY play him in mickey mouse cup and FA before selling him for 10-15m in jan to relegation battle club like Nottingham Forest who would be desperate to sign players to stay up, also he can reunite with JLINGZ and Dean Hendo

eire-red

We should look to sell him in January. If we could get even half of what we paid for him that would be good business.

It makes sense to keep him with the schedule coming up, but after the new year we should look to bring in a young CB that won't cost a bomb as 4th choice behind Martinez, Varane and Lindelof.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
We should look to sell him in January. If we could get even half of what we paid for him that would be good business.

It makes sense to keep him with the schedule coming up, but after the new year we should look to bring in a young CB that won't cost a bomb as 4th choice behind Martinez, Varane and Lindelof.
Maybe get Timber in the summer :drool::wenger::drool:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Hate to say it, but other than the penalty he didn't put a foot wrong, was in the right place more often than not, and really was pretty solid on the ball.
I was there at the game tonight and it's noticeable that he does actually read the game pretty well, but he needs to be quicker on the ball.

Giggsy13

Maguire seems finished playing football at a high level. I think it’s fair to say the most disastrous transfer post-Fergie and arguably in club history.

yamo123x

Cant help but feel sorry for Maguire.

Here is a prime example of someone who has badly lost his way due to the constant abuse received on social media and mainstream media. It started the day OLE rushed him back from injury against Leciester, he made an error and its snowballed from there....

Some of the abuse on here from so called supporters has been nothing short of disgraceful. He hasnt played well but the constant hounding, hatred and ridicule is way over the top.

Ultimately its our club that suffers as we now have a player who's confidence is shot, and is no longer a sellable asset.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

Here is a prime example of someone who has badly lost his way due to the constant abuse received on social media and mainstream media. It started the day OLE rushed him back from injury against Leciester, he made an error and its snowballed from there....

Some of the abuse on here from so called supporters has been nothing short of disgraceful. He hasnt played well but the constant hounding, hatred and ridicule is way over the top.

Ultimately its our club that suffers as we now have a player who's confidence is shot, and is no longer a sellable asset.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Are you joking? Almost every fecking pundit was defending him for years and still does. Keane was the only one who said it as it is while the rest were cherry picking with words.
We live in the day and age where people don't even criticize players like they used to in the past.

FriedClams

Perhaps ETH will try and boost his confidence and give him a man marking job against Haaland on the weekend.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't understand why they keep playing him as a LCB in a back 3. A role that requires a certain level of mobility and positioning. It's literally his worst attributes.

If he played in the middle at least he can stand there, head/kick away anything that comes close and allow others to rotate around him. Instead he's running around like a lost sheep.

He needs to start again fresh somewhere, I think a 6 month loan to a side that sits deep and wants to counter would be perfect. Just get back to defending, regain his confidence without the pressure of the spotlight.

He can do some good things, but he just throws them away with bad decision making and over complicating things. The flick out at Masaila for example, why even try to win it there? just force him to beat you and let somebody else sweep it up.

Real Name

Southgate's insisting on playing him is strange. Maybe he's trying to get him out of his slump but the more he plays the worse he gets. Combine that with the fact he's in the media and social media's focus it's a recipe for disaster.
Its even more strange given England has better defenders at the moment and Maguire shouldn't even be called for NT duty cause he's not playing for the club and probably wont in the near future if, knocks on wood, everything will be all right with Varane and Martinez.

Its a vicious circle and Southgate is practically putting his job on the line with this, among other things.

All things said I genuinely feel sorry for Maguire, his career is in tatters and it doesn't seem it will get better any time soon.

Last edited:

Tony247

He was quite solid in 19-20 season, also good during 20-21. So, there is somewhere a good player and not just had a purple patch. Sometimes players catch bad habits, lose form. Hope ETH helps him to regain his confidence. Best would be to work hard in training and not to play him regularly until he improves.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
This guy doesn't fancy understanding that the reason he stepped out was due to the midfielders going AWOL, which happened alot last night for England in defensive positions, as they'd been told to step further up the pitch! :lol: :lol:

wangyu

Its evident that he's not good enough at this level. He should handle his transfer request and we should do our best to find him a buyer
He did make the world cup and European cup team of the tournament though.

Firstouch20

For the sake of his own sanity he needs to step down a level. He's a midtable level CB playing at the highest level of club and international football and as a result he is getting badly exposed everytime he kicks a ball. I don't know how certain managers have persisted with him for such a long time. I'm baffled. Probably one of the most protected players in world football.

Sylar

Southgate did him no favours at all. The world cup starts 20th November
So either this will be his one random game and then no football for two months or he will actually get game time (which would have happened as we have a big ass fixture pileup coming with a game every three days)

Not playing this would have allowed Maguire to focus more on trying to get back into the United team. By picking somebody he knows how he plays just indulges Maguire rather than challenges him. It's idiotic by Southgate

This does no favours to united or Maguire. At the very least Maguire would have played minutes / games and allowed varane some rest

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
The abuse he gets goes far beyond what a footballer should receive, and that has happened to plenty of England players in the past who have been scapegoated at major tournaments and what not.

But it is simply undeniable that he has been at fault for many goals conceded in a United shirt over the past season or so. And undeniable today that he was fully at fault for the 1st goal and at least partially (being generous there) for the 2nd.
The amount of goals he's been at fault for and the amount he is blamed for are two very different numbers. As for England players who have been scapegoated in the past, there's a major difference here. When Beckham and Rooney were scapegoated, we protected them as they were our players. With Maguire, we are the biggest abusers...

spiriticon

Maguire would have been a decent/great defender in the early 2000's before pressing the defence became popular.

I do wonder whether someone like John Terry would be so highly regarded in this age. But Terry at least has the determination and leadership that Maguire hasn't.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
This guy doesn't fancy understanding that the reason he stepped out was due to the midfielders going AWOL, which happened alot last night for England in defensive positions, as they'd been told to step further up the pitch! :lol: :lol:
Except you can literally see where the midfielders are in the video. They are not AWOL or ‘high up the pitch’. They are no more than 15 yards in front of the defenders.

Maguire has stepped out to try and intercept a pass that is already at the feet of the opponent, and his charging forward and leaving space is a common feature of his game. And Rice, the DM, came off the pitch with a lot of credit and I would hardly say he had been instructed to play high. With a back 3, there is definitely scope to step forward and intercept, Maguire has just timed/judged it poorly on this occasion, and Sule really should have scored what would have been a very avoidable goal if Maguire didn’t abandon his post.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The amount of goals he's been at fault for and the amount he is blamed for are two very different numbers. As for England players who have been scapegoated in the past, there's a major difference here. When Beckham and Rooney were scapegoated, we protected them as they were our players. With Maguire, we are the biggest abusers...
I have no problem with football performances being critiqued, but will always draw the line at personal hate campaigns. Maguire has been objectively under par (to most people, I’m aware that you don’t agree) for a long time. Not only for England, in fact, not really for England - mainly for Manchester United, which is the real reason why he isn’t being ‘protected’ by United fans. United fans are primarily unhappy with his form for us, not his England form.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Maguire would have been a decent/great defender in the early 2000's before pressing the defence became popular.

I do wonder whether someone like John Terry would be so highly regarded in this age. But Terry at least has the determination and leadership that Maguire hasn't.
He'd be around Ehiogu's level and i'd say Ehiogu was slightly better than him. He was never good enough for a top 6 team. Never

Sylar

Who is we?
You can't mean the club or match going fans

If you are using this forum or Twitter / social media, think you must know that its a bubble and doesn't represent the fan support he gets at games
I've seen united players booed when their names have been read our at England games before

We also can't use Beckham as an example due to the difference in time
However we can use the likes of rashford (who has had much more abuse than Maguire).he tops the list. I think even Fred and Bruno get it more than Maguire (non England players)

I'm not dismissing that Maguire gets abused at all. But to say we are the biggest abusers needs to have some context.

Also there needs to be seperation from abuse Vs criticism. You can't lump it all together otherwise you are undermining your own point

Marcus

It's a vicious cycle. You play badly, get dropped, get rusty, play even worse because you have no rhythm etc... Not a great situation for him.

Champ

Except you can literally see where the midfielders are in the video. They are not AWOL or ‘high up the pitch’. They are no more than 15 yards in front of the defenders.

Maguire has stepped out to try and intercept a pass that is already at the feet of the opponent, and his charging forward and leaving space is a common feature of his game. And Rice, the DM, came off the pitch with a lot of credit and I would hardly say he had been instructed to play high. With a back 3, there is definitely scope to step forward and intercept, Maguire has just timed/judged it poorly on this occasion, and Sule really should have scored what would have been a very avoidable goal if Maguire didn’t abandon his post.
The balls gets played last the midfielders, completely bypassing them in one pass, they are out of position in that one pass.
Maguire has stepped out to try stop the German player from turning on the ball, and no one goes with the runner, Sule bypasses two England players.

Sorry, but this is not Maguire's fault. This is exactly what I was alluding to earlier.
People are now picking up on miniscule errors and amplifying them to something bigger than what they are.
The guy, whoever he is, even says 'even when Maguire doesn't make a mistake it's his fault' :lol: :lol:

Teja

The balls gets played last the midfielders, completely bypassing them in one pass, they are out of position in that one pass.
Maguire has stepped out to try stop the German player from turning on the ball, and no one goes with the runner, Sule bypasses two England players.

Sorry, but this is not Maguire's fault. This is exactly what I was alluding to earlier.
People are now picking up on miniscule errors and amplifying them to something bigger than what they are.
The guy, whoever he is, even says 'even when Maguire doesn't make a mistake it's his fault' :lol: :lol:
Not disagreeing with you but defensive positioning is one thing randos on the internet have no clue about. I saw both the video and your post and still can't make up my mind on what's right.

To me intuitively it seems wrong to go for that ball. You stay in shape and prevent a player from running into the space you vacated.

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
I watched England last night outside of international tournaments for the first time in ages, and while I obviously agree that Maguire's performance was horrible, I can't see how you can really blame him, everybody knew that was very likely to happen. His confidence is at -100, he's not match fit, he's totally shot mentally. Southgate is a fecking idiot for playing him against a team like Germany in those conditions, he was setting him up to fail. He's playing Dier and Maguire, the slowest centre backs in the world, where are Tomori, White and the kid from Palace whose name I can't remember right now? They can't be any worse, and Maguire needs to be out of the limelight at the moment for his own good.

Giggsy13

Feel sorry for him? The Greece incident should be enough for everyone to question his character, but then he has family on social media slagging off any supporter who dares criticize him and his place in the squad; that interview before the Liverpool game etc etc etc.

There is no agenda against Maguire, it’s just that many have now seen through his bullshit and his unwillingness to take accountability for his poor performances. He is the very worst of the rot from the last few seasons and the fact that pricks like Southgate and Shaw still defend him is even worse. The quicker we can get rid the better.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He has been set up four failure from the moment he arrived. Solskjaer should never have given him the armband.
He is struggling with pressure badly.

Champ

Not disagreeing with you but defensive positioning is one thing randos on the internet have no clue about. I saw both the video and your post and still can't make up my mind on what's right.

To me intuitively it seems wrong to go for that ball. You stay in shape and prevent a player from running into the space you vacated.
Yeah, it's a difficult one, but Maguire has a split second to make up his mind there, I think he did the right thing, just no one followed the runner which is what was needed in that instance.

If he stayed in shape there then the original receiver of the pass would have been able to gather, turn and probably have an unopposed shot, which would have been a worse situation given how England and Pope in particular dealt with long shots last night!

Skills

Snitch
For the last 10 years captaincy has been a hindrance rather than any help. Just get rid of it.

The most senior player is the on field captain for the sake of the ref. No club captain

Status
Not open for further replies.