Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
This guy doesn't fancy understanding that the reason he stepped out was due to the midfielders going AWOL, which happened alot last night for England in defensive positions, as they'd been told to step further up the pitch! :lol: :lol:
If you step out like that you have to win the ball. If you can't, hold your position.

mu4c_20le

He has been set up four failure from the moment he arrived. Solskjaer should never have given him the armband.
He is struggling with pressure badly.
He was fine in his first year, rock solid and it was basically a toss up between him and DDG at the time, who himself was going through some bad form and under pressure from fans and media. Still think the biggest mistake was not decisively taking it off him and giving to Ronaldo. There were reports that he was intimidated by his presence, maybe he felt alpha'd or something.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Feel sorry for him? The Greece incident should be enough for everyone to question his character, but then he has family on social media slagging off any supporter who dares criticize him and his place in the squad; that interview before the Liverpool game etc etc etc.

There is no agenda against Maguire, it’s just that many have now seen through his bullshit and his unwillingness to take accountability for his poor performances. He is the very worst of the rot from the last few seasons and the fact that pricks like Southgate and Shaw still defend him is even worse. The quicker we can get rid the better.
How anybody can feel sorry for someone that earns salary of £9,875,000 a year and his healthy, is beyond me. Feeling sorry for a young multimillionaire, he is one of the luckiest people alive.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Maguire seems finished playing football at a high level. I think it’s fair to say the most disastrous transfer post-Fergie and arguably in club history.
You're probably right regarding Maguire's current situation, he has to improve tremendously to get his place back in United's back four, but his lack of pace will always be there, and realistically, I can't see him becoming a fixture in Ten Hag's United team.
Your second statement is quite ridiculous really. When Maguire first came in, along with the much maligned Wan Bissaka, they helped stem the flow of goals we were letting in at the time, thereby gaining a spot in the Champion's League. He also performed pretty well for the next season, but this last couple of seasons he has, more and more, looked more vulnerable to pace, decision making has become dodgy, and, to me, it looks like there is a split between players like De Gea, Ronaldo and Maguire.
The most disastrous transfer ever, or even post Ferguson, I would argue would be Sanchez.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
If you step out like that you have to win the ball. If you can't, hold your position.
Again, if he held his position what do you think would have happened?
The German player has a free turn and ten yards of space to pick a pass/have a shot on the edge of the box.
Not an ideal situation.
Maguire done the right thing for me, no one went with the run from the German player which was the bigger issue.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He was fine in his first year, rock solid and it was basically a toss up between him and DDG at the time, who himself was going through some bad form and under pressure from fans and media. Still think the biggest mistake was not decisively taking it off him and giving to Ronaldo. There were reports that he was intimidated by his presence, maybe he felt alpha'd or something.
The fact that he could feel intimidated by Ronaldo is the more reason he should never have been given the armband. At least, get to know a player before making him captain. Once Ole gave it to him, his hands were tied. You can't remove the captain just because Ronaldo has arrived

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Yes but he also doesn’t help himself does he? The knee slide against Andorra for example.

He’s now posted on his instagram “mistakes are part of the game” like yes sure mate, but is that really what you want to be saying on social media right now?
He definitely doesn't come across as the most self reflected person, that's true, but that doesn't really justify this kind of treatment and toxicity, does it? I must admit, I find all the reels and memes pretty funny, too, but I wouldn't want to be in his shoes right now. You're right with the point that his response to all of this doesn't help his case but everybody copes differently with stuff like this and it seems he's going down the "now more than ever, feck the haters" route (which us brings us back to self reflection). One way or another, we've had a few mental breakdowns and depression cases in football already and I just think people should learn from those grim incidents and don't cross certain lines.

I mean, in the end he didn't do anything wrong to deserve such a treatment. He's not up to the job he's supposed to do, as is evident when witnessing some of his mindblowing mistakes (still can't figure out what went through his head when he fouled Shaw), but it's not his fault somebody paid 80m for him and made him captain of one of the biggest football clubs in the world.

Glorio

Have to if the Yaya Toure's shamans got to him (Bailly is Ivorian after all!) :nervous:.

Seriously though, everything seems to be going against him at the minute. He seems so out of sorts

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
He’s slow and clumsy. Awful traits at the highest level. I feel really sorry for him but he shouldn’t be anywhere near United.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Don't really understand how some think he's not at fault for the second goal. He lost the ball far up front, that's true. But he's not an attacking player - if he loses it, there's one man missing behind to defend the counter. Especially since he lost it in a central area and while dribbling towards his own goal. And it was a stupid dribbling to begin with. On top, he was far too passive when Havertz took his shot. Maguire defended an already defended area in which there wasn't even an opponent. So much that Shaw had to abandon his to pressure Havertz.

I think it's clear that the whole memefication of him goes too far and people should be more critical of it but he has far too many brain farts. I don't know if I ever saw a footballer who has such a collection of blunders. Even if he is decent in some areas, this overshadows every quality he has by far.
How is he perceived on German TV and amongst your fanbase?

Meino

Feel like southgate is doing him no favor by continuing to play him when he is in his shiteperiods, he gets so much abuse that he should be protected from the public by not playing

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Maguire would have been a decent/great defender in the early 2000's before pressing the defence became popular.

I do wonder whether someone like John Terry would be so highly regarded in this age. But Terry at least has the determination and leadership that Maguire hasn't.
No, he absolutely wouldn't. What on earth is this?

And Terry understood his limitations and read the game in a stratosphere Maguire will never manage to do in his career.

There is no era that favours Maguire - this notion needs to die.

Reading play and the game going on around you has always been a prerequisite, and Maguire is dire at that.

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
How is he perceived on German TV and amongst your fanbase?
In social media, he's just as much of a meme. In TV, the treatment is a little bit more respectful but the commentators and experts etc. are of course aware of the story and rather hint at it during games and summaries. It's a bit of a conflict of interests for them since they are usually very sensitive with topics such as online abuse/cyber mobbing but also highly critical of the absurdly high salaries/transfer fees/etc in England with Maguire being the personification of this.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
In social media, he's just as much of a meme. In TV, the treatment is a little bit more respectful but the commentators and experts etc. are of course aware of the story and rather hint at it during games and summaries. It's a bit of a conflict of interests for them since they are usually very sensitive with topics such as online abuse/cyber mobbing but also highly critical of the absurdly high salaries/transfer fees/etc in England with Maguire being the personification of this.
Hmm.. I have to be honest, I'm referring to him as a player, opposing player.

Do you have tactical breakdowns and assessments of the opposition, etc.

I've never watched a big international game in German, unfortunately, so I am curious how you guys go about it.

Glorio

How anybody can feel sorry for someone that earns salary of £9,875,000 a year and his healthy, is beyond me. Feeling sorry for a young multimillionaire, he is one of the luckiest people alive.
I honestly don't get this line of thinking. You're basically saying rich, healthy people deserve no sympathy.

At the end of the day, they're still human, and anyone subjected to the amount of nationwide (perhaps even worldwide), disdain, ridicule and abuse Maguire receives just for not being as good as expected deserves some sympathy.

It's like refusing to feel sorry for a billionaire who loses his entire family to an accident (extreme I know, but it's the same principle)

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I do feel sorry for him, as I would for anyone in the glare that he finds himself now. I can't see a way back for him really, not at the top level. I look at John Stones, when he looked down and out. I have huge respect for the way he turned it round but his baseline of talent, speed, technique was still there. Confidence was all that was missing. I feel Harry's potential journey back has a lot less of a foundation for lift off.

Tap

Cant help but feel sorry for Maguire.

Here is a prime example of someone who has badly lost his way due to the constant abuse received on social media and mainstream media. It started the day OLE rushed him back from injury against Leciester, he made an error and its snowballed from there....

Some of the abuse on here from so called supporters has been nothing short of disgraceful. He hasnt played well but the constant hounding, hatred and ridicule is way over the top.

Ultimately its our club that suffers as we now have a player who's confidence is shot, and is no longer a sellable asset.
Aren’t the media pundits and journalists kissing his arse for years?

All he needs to do is just shut up, stop posting tone deaf messages on social media, stop giving interviews for a while and sit quietly on the bench where he belongs. The furore will die down.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Hmm.. I have to be honest, I'm referring to him as a player, opposing player.

Do you have tactical breakdowns and assessments of the opposition, etc.

I've never watched a big international game in German, unfortunately, so I am curious how you guys go about it.
Ah, I see. Usually there are but I rarely watch them these days since I find them rather superficial, especially when RTL is broadcasting (trash TV that somehow secured the nations league rights). So the commentators criticized especially his losses of possession before both goals as well as his tackle against Musiala but I didn't see any tactical breakdowns afterwards.

If you ask more generally, the quality of these breakdowns depends hugely on the channel as well as the experts they hired. ZDF had Jürgen Klopp as an expert between 2005 and 2008 and he was exceptional. DAZN had a few with smaller names but very good tactical insights the past few years but now seem to switch from expertise to popularity. Most broadcasters rather go for entertainment than insight. That's why Lothar Matthäus is so present right now. If you want great tactical breakdowns, you don't watch TV but rather read something like spielverlagerung.de (they have a few pieces in English as well, if you're interested, this one about England for example)

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Ah, I see. Usually there are but I rarely watch them these days since I find them rather superficial, especially when RTL is broadcasting (trash TV that somehow secured the nations league rights). So the commentators criticized especially his losses of possession before both goals as well as his tackle against Musiala but I didn't see any tactical breakdowns afterwards.

If you ask more generally, the quality of these breakdowns depends hugely on the channel as well as the experts they hired. ZDF had Jürgen Klopp as an expert between 2005 and 2008 and he was exceptional. DAZN had a few with smaller names but very good tactical insights the past few years but now seem to switch from expertise to popularity. Most broadcasters rather go for entertainment than insight. That's why Lothar Matthäus is so present right now. If you want great tactical breakdowns, you don't watch TV but rather read something like spielverlagerung.de (they have a few pieces in English as well, if you're interested)
Excellent! I'm fine with German. Always interesting to get a take from outside the myopic bubble.

Just wondering if any are as outspoken as the Dutch in their take on players.

For what it's worth, it's fantastic they're not piling on with the social media dross and memefication.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Excellent! I'm fine with German. Always interesting to get a take from outside the myopic bubble.

Just wondering if any are as outspoken as the Dutch in their take on players.

For what it's worth, it's fantastic they're not piling on with the social media dross and memefication.
I think you will have fun with the site, then :) Some articles are really in depth, much more so than the one I linked now I've read it. I don't know how specific Dutch analyses are since I don't speak or read the language so I'm curious of your evaluation.

And yes, I think it is a good thing that they don't just adapt the memes and maintain at least some degree of professionalism.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
I honestly don't get this line of thinking. You're basically saying rich, healthy people deserve no sympathy.

At the end of the day, they're still human, and anyone subjected to the amount of nationwide (perhaps even worldwide), disdain, ridicule and abuse Maguire receives just for not being as good as expected deserves some sympathy.

It's like refusing to feel sorry for a billionaire who loses his entire family to an accident (extreme I know, but it's the same principle)
No it's not. And no I can't feel sorry for one of the luckiest blokes on planet. Just because he is getting criticised.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I think you will have fun with the site, then :) Some articles are really in depth, much more so than the one I linked now I've read it. I don't know how specific Dutch analyses are since I don't speak or read the language so I'm curious of your evaluation.

And yes, I think it is a good thing that they don't just adapt the memes and maintain at least some degree of professionalism.
I can't speak or read Dutch :nervous: but he's the antithesis of their schools of thought so it's no surprise when you've got people like Van der Vaart going on national TV saying outrageous things, or certainly not what you could get away with here or most(?) other nations.

Will check out that site as I have a fair amount of downtime at the moment. Many thanks for the link. :)

AlPistacho

Hate to say it, but other than the penalty he didn't put a foot wrong, was in the right place more often than not, and really was pretty solid on the ball.
I was there at the game tonight and it's noticeable that he does actually read the game pretty well, but he needs to be quicker on the ball.
Are you being sarcastic? He was responsible for both goals, also there was a shot that someone on tictok pointed out was down to Maguire rushing out for a ball he couldn’t win and leaving an empty space

AlPistacho

Some of the abuse on here from so called supporters has been nothing short of disgraceful. He hasnt played well but the constant hounding, hatred and ridicule is way over the top
Can you quote some of the abuse that you’re referring to? His family, friends and paid promotors keep going on about this but 99% of what I’ve seen is just people saying his not good enough, analysing his mistakes that get ignored by pundits, questioning why he is starting for England, being grateful that he is no longer starting for United and pointing out why the club is better without him starting, etc. I’ve genuinely seen no abuse.

The main abuse I’ve seen is actually from him camp and his supporters calling anyone that dares have a critical opinion of him a “troll” “stupid” “idiot” “no life” or “attention seeker”

gza the genius

I do feel a bit sorry for him in the sense that some of the reasons fans are getting on to him are things he has no control over. It's not really his fault that Ole and Ralph started him every single game no matter how horribly he played but that has obviously been a huge frustration to us fans. Same with Southgage and playing him now. The media also has mostly defended him which for those of us watching his every game was glaringly obvious that he is playing horribly. It's not his fault Ole immediately made him captain either.

But, his reactions haven't been great either - he takes absolutely no accountability for his form and seemingly is slagging off teammates and making excuses. If he had an interview like Shaw's just now where he just admits he hasn't been playing well then I thi k people would mostly leave him alone but instead he comes out bragging about being in teams of the tournament or whatever else. He just seemingly has zero self awareness.

FrantikChicken

He definitely doesn't come across as the most self reflected person, that's true, but that doesn't really justify this kind of treatment and toxicity, does it? I must admit, I find all the reels and memes pretty funny, too, but I wouldn't want to be in his shoes right now. You're right with the point that his response to all of this doesn't help his case but everybody copes differently with stuff like this and it seems he's going down the "now more than ever, feck the haters" route (which us brings us back to self reflection). One way or another, we've had a few mental breakdowns and depression cases in football already and I just think people should learn from those grim incidents and don't cross certain lines.

I mean, in the end he didn't do anything wrong to deserve such a treatment. He's not up to the job he's supposed to do, as is evident when witnessing some of his mindblowing mistakes (still can't figure out what went through his head when he fouled Shaw), but it's not his fault somebody paid 80m for him and made him captain of one of the biggest football clubs in the world.
I do agree with you, but dealing with the facts of what has transpired and how he’s perceived now, he needs to be practical about it and make the right steps forward.

his club manager has taken him out of the firing line which IMO is a very good thing, and I’m a bit disappointed that his international manager hasn’t done the same.

What he himself needs to do is, as you say, be more self reflective and also take himself out of the spotlight. Posting silly shit like “mistakes are part of the game”, with the reputation he currently holds, is straight up just inviting more abuse.

He has become so much of a meme that I see him referenced everywhere. On basketball pages, golf pages, random fail pages, etc. he’s literally the joke of the sporting world right now, not just football. It’s unfortunate but that’s what it is and he needs to just get his head down, work, and not say a word until he has hit some sort of actual form that goes beyond scoring against Andorra.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The pile on is over the top. He’s struggling badly and shouldn’t be starting at club or international level. But the guy has become such a meme that I fear for his mental state. Surely isn’t easy for him or his family to see.

After a decent game against Italy, he should have been ‘rested’ for Germany. He did his job without many issues against Italy. He didn’t need to be put in the limelight again so quickly.

little.triangles

Kane on Maguire's injury:

Either Southgate didn't know about it or let Maguire play through the injury anyway. United have 9 games in October. All jokes aside about it being a blessing in disguise for us, how the hell is this allowed to happen?

hobbers

Here is a prime example of someone who has badly lost his way due to the constant abuse received on social media and mainstream media.
Firstly he's had no abuse from mainstream media. He's been protected and coddled by them to a ludicrous degree.

Secondly, neither social media criticism nor abuse is to blame for his shit performances, they are squarely on him.

hart

He's barely a defender these days. What does he even bring to any team?

- Passing: He may be able to kick the ball accurately over long distances, but he is not a good passer. He takes ages to do it and usually plays the receiver or himself into trouble. Ball-playing defenders don't take 5-6 touches before playing a simple pass to the FB.
- 1v1: Shambolic, anyone faster than a tortoise raises alarm bells and you can see the panic spread through him.
- Awareness: Countless times we've seen him not track simple runs in behind, and even when he does attempt it, he's so slow that hopeless punts down the channel become a real threat as he isn't able to get out quick enough. We've also all seen him hold his hand up like an idiot for offside calls when he's been too slow to push up and played everyone onside.

He brings decent heading ability, but a clogger from the Championship can bring that as well.
Rafael van der Vaart on Harry Maguire:

"I think Maguire goes home every day and tells his wife 'I'm so shit at football, but I earn so much. They really believe I'm good.' I really think so, he laughs at everyone."

"If he is worth so much money, Virgil van Dijk is worth £300m.

"If I am going to play with the amateurs on Sunday, I can easily find three who play like him. I mean that seriously.A bit silly to say, but I really think so."

Foxbatt

Our fans would constantly say how bailly was not good enough as a starter for united as he always had a reckless moment in him but Maguire is no different, at least bailly didn't need extra protection in terms of adjusting tactics of playing low block, switching to a back 3 and having 2 defensive midfielders like we have seen with Maguire for club and Country.
I was going to post along these lines. At least with Bailly it was always very entertaining. I enjoy watching him play. He could make the most basic mistakes and yet make the most outrageous of tackles or clearance all in the same phase of the game.
With Maguire he is extremely boring too.

Zippycup

There’s still a person at the end of all this abuse and if his mental health wasn’t in the gutter before the international break it sure as hell is now.

I can get the criticism of his performances and as a professional football he should except that and deal with it. What I don’t get is why we need to put the boot in further with not only unjust criticism but downright abuse.
I don’t care how privileged or well-off he is, no man should be subject to this level of abuse just because he kicks a football around a pitch. The majority of these people who abuse him would probably ask for a photo or an autograph if they saw him on the street, I'd guarantee they wouldn’t say to his face what they say through a faceless profile picture online.

Why we blame the player for playing when being selected I'll never know. Blame the manager who has shown grave negligence for his players welfare by playing him in the Germany game. Not only that, allowing him to play for 90 minutes in both games despite barely playing this season. We can now add that he was kept on the pitch while picking up an injury to Southgate's negligence .

I’ve said this many times, and I know I'll probably get the usual replies but we used to protect our own. Now not only do we leave them out to dry we are the worst ones for giving the abuse

Roux

Our fans would constantly say how bailly was not good enough as a starter for united as he always had a reckless moment in him but Maguire is no different, at least bailly didn't need extra protection in terms of adjusting tactics of playing low block, switching to a back 3 and having 2 defensive midfielders like we have seen with Maguire for club and Country.
I'd say it was more to do with the fact Bailly was never fit.

Lee565

The pile on is over the top. He’s struggling badly and shouldn’t be starting at club or international level. But the guy has become such a meme that I fear for his mental state. Surely isn’t easy for him or his family to see.

After a decent game against Italy, he should have been ‘rested’ for Germany. He did his job without many issues against Italy. He didn’t need to be put in the limelight again so quickly.
Terry had to suffer being a meme and ridiculed when he fluffed that penalty in champions league final but he didn't let him destroy him, if Maguire can not take criticism well then he needs to step down to a level to a club with far less spotlight on them. He would crumble to pieces at clubs like real and barca where the scrutiny is twice as extreme

Pirlo'sBeard

I feel sorry on him. He's trying but he's simply not good enough for United or England. He's now getting exposed in a negative Southgate system. The club should have been moved him on in the summer, so he could have a fresh start elsewhere. Delaying the inevitable.

Suedesi

Let's just debunk this notion that Harry Maguire was Franz Beckenbauer at Leicester but somehow playing badly because of the media scrutiny now at United.

He always has been a lumbering center back with a distinct lack of pace and mobility - which he could compensate if he was extremely good positionally, alert and aware of danger - but he's quite the opposite of that. He's good at set pieces or when the team is sitting back. As soon as the game is stretched, he's a liability.

Harry's convinced people/media he's a good player because he can faff about with the ball and look composed, which people in England seem to love, but when you actually look at what he does durign the match vs others do you realize it's pointless and quite bad.

For example, here's some passing stats - it basically shows passing range for various centerbacks in Europe, where each bar chart measures the passing range of each player (blue = good, red = bad)

He's also someone that is not great at 1v1 defending:

Leicester sold us a lemon and the sooner the club get rid of this big time Charlie the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.