Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kostov

I would hope so… there’s a different expectation on an £80m buy vs a free. Not his fault what the fee was (that’s our stupidity) but even at half that fee, I’d consider him a failure.
For 40m pounds he would have been one of our better signing imo. We bought Lindelof for 40m and Fred for 60m. And maybe I am wrong but with that lesser transfer fee, I think the expectations and pressure would have been different.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I stand corrected, either De Gea miss understood Ten Hag's instructions, or he insanely decided to pass to the same marked player nearly every time... not sure which is less scary.
He didn't miss understand, DDG took the easy option like he always does

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
How is passing to a marked player when there are players open, or he could hit it long the easy option?
He would need to be able to decide what the correct pass is and execute it well; hitting it long doesn't mean launching it; it means making a correct pass to an open player.
He did it once in the first half, when he made the pass out to the wing to Shaw.
The easy option is to pass to the first player you see right in front of you, look at his body positioning before the pass too.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
He would need to be able to decide what the correct pass is and execute it well; hitting it long doesn't mean launching it; it means making a correct pass to an open player.
He did it once in the first half, when he made the pass out to the wing to Shaw.
The easy option is to pass to the first player you see right in front of you, look at his body positioning before the pass too.
I mean I have a low opinion of De Gea in terms of his on-the-ball skill, but the idea that he was just passing it to Erkisen because he was the first person he saw and didn't want to have to look around despite him being marked.... that's damming at an altogether new level

The1974s

For 40m pounds he would have been one of our better signing imo. We bought Lindelof for 40m and Fred for 60m. And maybe I am wrong but with that lesser transfer fee, I think the expectations and pressure would have been different.

Tbf we didn't spend those amounts on those players and even if we had spent £20 million on Maguire we would still be at the same stage were he simply isn't good enough to play in the system being asked. I wish he had cost 20 because he would have been dropped a long time ago

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
He is pull the marker towards him to make space so Maguire can pass long, like Ten Hag said in the interview afterwards. So of course he doesnt expect his team mate to go straight against the tactic.
So in your head, the attacking player who is following Erikson is needed to come forward in order to make a long pass? Ok then.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kostov

Tbf we didn't spend those amounts on those players and even if we had spent £20 million on Maguire we would still be at the same stage were he simply isn't good enough to play in the system being asked. I wish he had cost 20 because he would have been dropped a long time ago
Sorry you are right, we spent 35m euros on Lindelof and 59m euros on Fred, and no for 20m pounds Maguire would still have been our best CB but nobody would bark on the transfer fee. We have so much absolute dross in the starting eleven that Maguire would not be our biggest worry, just like he is not our biggest worry now.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
He has to be sold. Had to be sold last year tbh but the club is embarrassed and doesn't want to admit defeat. The value of paying him his £200k pw is to pay him to not play for us. That is the best thing for the club.

It's an elephant in the room but if I was running the football operations, he'd be out of the club. Would have told him after last season that it's over, he can either sit on the bench and see out his contract or he can find a new club. No ifs, no buts.

His presence in the starting lineup exacerbates the toxic culture in the dressing room. Why? Because a player with so little ability, performing that badly yet always making the team creates a mentality in the squad that standards and quality don't matter, the price tag you were bought for does. These players know he is awful, they know and yet he is in the team AND IS CAPTAIN.

Stadjer

Maguire (and Shaw) rated amber in terms of how successful they’ve been :nono:

If Shaw and Maguire werent English they would have been in red. If return on investment was used Maguire and Shaw would both have been red. :lol:

Pogba has been better on the field (certainly his earlier seasons) than Harry Maguire. Fellaini also had his use. Blind played well. Lindelof hasnt been worse than Maguire. Martial had atleast one good season... if any of them was English they would have been 'amber'.

Chief123

Please be true. Will be the best news of the summer.

Chief123

So in your head, the attacking player who is following Erikson is needed to come forward in order to make a long pass? Ok then.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
“Tell me you don’t know how to play football without telling me you don’t know how to play football.” You’ve gone first.

Ten Haag has literally stated himself that's what he expected De Gea to do. But of course, you know better.

Last edited:

Doracle

Please be true. Will be the best news of the summer.

Hard to envisage when Maguire has probably been our best player so far (albeit not saying much). Maguire and Varane were solid in the second half against Brentford and I’d start them. Might be a good chance to give Martinez a try at DM as well, as neither Fred nor McT have done anything to justify playing there.

saivet

The Athletic (Crafton?) reported that ETH took his time to make a decision between Varane and Maguire for the Brentford game which suggests he nearly didn't start that match. I think Maguire is probably a better fit in terms of progressing the ball, even if he is a bit slow to make passes. Varane is just as good in the air and better defending in transition, so overall imagine Varane will be preferred in the long-term this season.

buckooo1978

Id rather see Bailly lineup v Liverpool in all honesty.

Ignoring the mistakes Maguire simply isnt quick enough

RuudTom83

Id rather see Bailly lineup v Liverpool in all honesty.

Ignoring the mistakes Maguire simply isnt quick enough
Good shout!

The whole team needs urgency and a kick up the arse, at least with Erik you know you are going to get a madman at 100 miles an hour.

Not sure if they is the answer long term but its a change. Simply playing Maguire every week is not having an effect on his form.

Chief123

The Athletic (Crafton?) reported that ETH took his time to make a decision between Varane and Maguire for the Brentford game which suggests he nearly didn't start that match. I think Maguire is probably a better fit in terms of progressing the ball, even if he is a bit slow to make passes. Varane is just as good in the air and better defending in transition, so overall imagine Varane will be preferred in the long-term this season.
Varane will be fine with the ball. He’s more than good enough. Right now we need to tighten up the shitshow at the back which Maguire has been a big part of for a long time.

It’s no coincidence we’ve been crap with Maguire Varane, Maguire Lindelof, Maguire Martinez….common denominator.

Thiagoal

Who would be captain? Surely not the Portuguese sulkers so struggling to think who else

Mmm-Qatarian

Who would be captain? Surely not the Portuguese sulkers so struggling to think who else
I'd just let the squad vote on it. Nobody in the side strikes me as an outstanding candidate; at least if it's voted on there can be no bitching on the players' end.

Xaviboy

Be great if we sold him. Newcastle be ideal for him pay his wages.

Love if he isnt anywhere near starting 11 at all this season. Varane Lindelof, Martinez and Bailly ahead of him.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
How many years left does he have on his current deal? i can't wait for us to get rid of him.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Hallelujah.

Although I do understand EtH not just ousting all the players that were already here and had performed poorly in the last season, I do think he made a mistake in maintaining Maguire as captain for this time. It is so clear that Maguire doesn't have what it takes, especially for EtH,'s football, that he should honestly just have transferlisted him from the start. Actually when he got together with Utd board at the end of last season he should have told Murtough/Arnold to sell Maguire so he wouldn't have to deal with that situation.

What's done is done however. Would be good if he corrected this mistake asap. Maguire needs to go.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Unless United are looking to bring in a GK, DDG would probably be the captain IMO. If no GK arrives DDG is surely the #1 GK and he won't be sold. Bruno could be an option too, but if he is playing poorly he could fall out of the team. If Ronaldo would be committed he would be a logical option as well, but he clearly hasn't been committed. Hence I'd say DDG is the most logical captain if in fact Maguire would be left out.

Bwuk

Unless United are looking to bring in a GK, DDG would probably be the captain IMO. If no GK arrives DDG is surely the #1 GK and he won't be sold. Bruno could be an option too, but if he is playing poorly he could fall out of the team. If Ronaldo would be committed he would be a logical option as well, but he clearly hasn't been committed. Hence I'd say DDG is the most logical captain if in fact Maguire would be left out.
Bruno is the VC.

He should be dropped. Maguire doesn't inspire confidence at all.

Chief123

I really hope Varane and Martinez can forge some sort of partnership and understanding so they can force Maguire to the bench permanently.

There’s nothing more demoralising when you’re excited for a match and you see Maguire and McTominay in the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.