Harry Maguire involved in incident with police in Greece - conviction nullified by appeal, full retrial pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Thats it. Harrys contract will be terminated, we need 2 new C
Nah he'll be out by Christmas. Not saying which year mind you

I bet his mates will take all the blame in return for their mortgages being paid off.

United58

I'd have assumed he was more mature than this. So we start with Lindelof-Rojo again?
The idea of Rojo being fit for 3 games in a row :lol: Smalling been one of our best defenders in recent years purely because he's rarely injured

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Assuming he was drunk and it’s a first offence I doubt we’re talking jail time but I guess it depends on the assault part. Will he be allowed to leave the country while they decide if it’s going to court? Greece is on the cusp of being added to the quarantine list too so he may have to isolate for 14 days when he gets back. Just what we need going into a new season.

48 hours

Attempted bribery?

Is it just me or did the laughing suddenly stop? :nervous:
maybe its like in the inbetweeners and Harry had heard about the foreign police and kept a rolled up €20 in his arse for if he was arrested

James Ward

Probably mouthy City or Liverpool supporters invading his personal space and slagging his speed and United as a club.

Hopefully he didn't do a Jamie Carragher on it. Wouldn't mind of he decked some Scouse giving him and his family grief.

snowkarl

Feck. Being charged with aggravated assault seems really serious.
It is really serious despite what some comedians might have you believe.

You can not act this way, especially as a public figure representing a billion dollar brand.

Alright if he'd gotten into a scuffle with some blokes in a restaurant in the early hours, but the assault on police, bribery et al is just unacceptable.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Ouch. I thought ‘a compromise’ would be reached but this sounds like the Greek authorities are doubling down, ensuring the case will be prosecuted for exactly what it was.

We are not sure which charges pertain to Macguire, but violence against and attempting to bribe a police officer are two extremely serious charges and makes me seriously question his judgement.

watching that video, I’m quite shocked that Maguire would mix so freely with strangers in this COVID-19 context. Also what the hell Is he doing on a lads holiday in such an environment. He knows he will be targeted by opportunists.

this incident makes no sense given the extreme disipline he has lived his life by for past 12 months. WTF is he doing out on the town in Mykonos?? If he wanted a blow out, he should have done so in private set up and with people he knows and trusts.

Last edited:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Bloody hell. This is jail time in some countries. Famous or not.
I never ever insulted player but this is not based on performances, right? So IF all this is true then he is an idiot. Fighting on the street like some 18y kid and assaulting an officer. In foreign country.
If this is true of course...

Last edited:

Brophs

The One and Only
Probably mouthy City or Liverpool supporters invading his personal space and slagging his speed and United as a club.

Hopefully he didn't do a Jamie Carragher on it. Wouldn't mind of he decked some Scouse giving him and his family grief.
That post really got away from you there, didn't it?

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It is really serious despite what some comedians might have you believe.

You can not act this way, especially as a public figure representing a billion dollar brand.

Alright if he'd gotten into a scuffle with some blokes in a restaurant in the early hours, but the assault on police, bribery et al is just unacceptable.
Aye I wouldn't be that arsed if it was a scuffle with some other lads in a bar.

All the other stuff coming out about the altercations with an officer are serious as feck. Wonder what happens now.

Superunknown

If we had taken our chances in the semi he wouldn't have been there. Not sure if I am being serious or not.
That's a seriously depressing but true thought.

I sincerely hope that this is just all a complete mistake, or at the most he was some sort of bystander who was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Just got to wait for some proper news or confirmation of sorts. Haven't seen any news on the big sites yet...

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
It's a serious business. These alleged offences wouldn't all just be misdemeanours, some would be felonies. Added to that, there will be many Greek witnesses and he won't get an ounce of sympathy, as no-one likes drunk British holiday-makers.

Drawfull

This is from another assault case of former police officer and accomplices assaulting a mayor in Greece. Looks like Harry might be OK...

Three men were arrested and convicted for the vicious attack in which Boutaris, recovering from heart surgery, was pushed to the ground and kicked and punched but two given only suspended sentences and the other allowed to buy out jail time at the rate of 5 euros ($5.85) per day, a common occurrence in Greece even for major felonies.

Bosws87

Not a single piece of footage been seen or leaked, hard to make an opinion when there is plenty of baton happy police in European countries.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Bloody hell. This is jail time in some countries. Famous or not
Innocent until proven guilty, which he won’t be. They can throw a list of BS charges to make it seem worthwhile and then drop them all when they feel like it.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Typical local authority shakedown, lots of money in brown envelopes will be changing hands and Harry will be back home with just a warning. It is not an unusual source of income for these places.
So it’s the Greek Polices fault and not Maguire and his mates? Is that what you’re saying?

podurban2

Ouch. I thought ‘a compromise’ would be reached but this sounds like the Greek authorities are doubling down, ensuring the case will be prosecuted for exactly what it was.

We are not sure which charges pertain to Macguire, but violence against and attempting a police officer are two extremely serious charges and makes me seriously question his judgement.

watching that video, I’m quite shocked that Maguire would mix so freely with strangers in this COVID-19 context. Also what the hell Is he doing on a lads holiday in such an environment. He knows he will be targeted by opportunists.

this incident makes no sense given the extreme disipline he has lived his life by for past 12 months. WTF is he doing out on the town in Mykonos?? If he wanted a blow out, he should have done so in private set up and with people he knows and trusts.
I have friends who go to bars and restaurants, but I actually do not know of a single person who has traveled abroad on a lads trip to party. Pretty disgusting and incredibly selfish if you ask me. Disconnected to the outside world.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Not a single piece of footage been seen or leaked, hard to make an opinion when there is plenty of baton happy police in European countries.
The only footage shown earlier in this thread didn't seem much, just some rowdy blokes acting like rowdy blokes do. Harry looked in a pretty calm mood. So what happened after that?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I have friends who go to bars and restaurants, but I actually do not know of a single person who has traveled abroad on a lads trip to party. Pretty disgusting and incredibly selfish if you ask me.
I think he was on holiday with his fiancée and children, not on a lads' trip.

MichaelRed

It's basic human rights, a man has every right to defend himself from harm.

I'm not big on the law in any capacity, but I'm fairly certain the same basic human rights apply in Greece.
Well, you actually waive that right if you're intoxicated so no you don't have the right to defend yourself. You have a right if you believe your life, or the life of another, is in danger but you're not deemed fit to make that judgement if you're intoxicated and therefore lose the right to self-defence.

Drawfull

I'm English but left the UK to live overseas with all these baton-happy police over 15 years ago. Amazingly, I've never once had a problem despite going out on the lash, being English and no doubt drinking to excess on dozens of occasions.

Edit: this is nothing to do with HM, just that it's not been something I've noticed as a particular issue whilst living abroad.

Gandalf

So it’s the Greek Polices fault and not Maguire and his mates? Is that what you’re saying?
More that the authorities in these situations are very good at painting things in a particular light with the ultimate goal of getting a nice payday from it. Not defending Maguire at all as he clearly put himself in this position but I would not be remotely surprised if his role is being grossly exaggerated as he is the golden ticket in this situation. Small town authorities all over the world excel at this kind of thing and have done since time immemorial, money will talk and Harry will walk.

Classical Mechanic

Assaulting a police officer gets you a slap on the wrist in the uk? Didn't Ant Middleton do time for doing just that?
Depends on the severity. Looking at wikipedia he was charged with the most serious level of assault. The partner of the copper in that incident said that she thought Ant had killed her partner. He served only 4 months in the end. If you pushed a copper over in a ruckus you'd be unlikely to serve time.

I was watching a UK police doc and they picked up some wasted guy and he kept feeling up a female coppers arse. He only got a warning! I couldn't believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.