Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
So if we actually get Maguire and AWB and spend 120m on these 2 our defence would look like

AWB--Maguire--Lindelof--Shaw

How would this defence compare to the rest of the Top 6? Is it still good enough?
We'd be better defensively and would be able to retain possession easier but dont really think Maguire is the answer to our problems at CB and I worry that Shaw/AWB don't have the attacking quality required. It's an improvement on last season though, but 120m for AWB and Maguire is... well, we'd have been robbed.

Crashoutcassius

You’re quite right but wasn’t the story put out last year that City walked away when the money, both in terms of wage and fee, got daft?
I guess it's hard to get the truth from media but I find it hard enough to believe city thought they would get him for 30m and wouldn't pay 50m for their new cm

JoaquinJoaquin

Feel like this one might happen. I'd be happy with a CB partnership of Maguire and Lindelof. At least Maguire brings an aerial presence we massively lack.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Isn’t the one thing we know about City and Fred that they wouldn’t pay £50m for him? That’s why he’s here.

no, We would have paid, but we wanted him in the January window, when Shaktar refused to sell in the Jan window we didn't go back in for him in the summer

ZLATAN9

We'd be better defensively and would be able to retain possession easier but dont really think Maguire is the answer to our problems at CB and I worry that Shaw/AWB don't have the attacking quality required. It's an improvement on last season though, but 120m for AWB and Maguire is... well, we'd have been robbed.
You make a good point But like you said for 120m we'd be robbed.

25m we could get Aldewield
15m Reported we could get Aarons if that was true.
So we could still improve on what we got for 40m

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Feel like this one might happen. I'd be happy with a CB partnership of Maguire and Lindelof. At least Maguire brings an aerial presence we massively lack.
The only issue with this pairing would be a lack of pace. Against a CF like Aubameyang or someone of that ilk, they will struggle as they'll have to play very deep, pushing the entire midfield line deeper.

ZLATAN9

I just don't think he will pick us over City , it hurts me to say but if they both offer 65m why should he pick us? The only thing we have going for us is History and that don't count for a lot now a days. Man City would suit his style of play also. The only way I think we can get him over City is if we offer better wages then he is here for the money like the rest.

Dahnsouff

Supports
Leicester City
I just don't think he will pick us over City , it hurts me to say but if they both offer 65m why should he pick us? The only thing we have going for us is History and that don't count for a lot now a days. Man City would suit his style of play also. The only way I think we can get him over City is if we offer better wages then he is here for the money like the rest.
:lol: For 65m I can guess exactly where he is going.

Sp00ks11

Maguire is criminally underrated on here, just like VVD was. We have Smalling and Jones regularly partnered in our defence.. a crisp packet would make for a better defence than those two. Maguire and Wan Bissaka easing Young and Jones/Smalling out of our defence would improve us big time!

Dahnsouff

Supports
Leicester City
How much do you reckon will you lot realistically sell him for?
Judging by the rhetoric from the Club/Owner, it would be 75m minimum, but its a scare aware price. If anyone offers that much, then negotiations would begin I imagine. Genuinely think we do not wish to sell him though.

King7Eric

Judging by the rhetoric from the Club/Owner, it would be 75m minimum, but its a scare aware price. If anyone offers that much, then negotiations would begin I imagine. Genuinely think we do not wish to sell him though.
The thing is even though the club may not want to sell, the player will know he's 26 now and time is running out for a big move. Yes, I know there have been reports that he won't push for a move out of respect for Leicester, but at the end of the day, if he has ambitions of winning trophies, he's going to have to get a move on now (not necessarily to Utd).

Dahnsouff

Supports
Leicester City
The thing is even though the club may not want to sell, the player will know he's 26 now and time is running out for a big move. Yes, I know there have been reports that he won't push for a move out of respect for Leicester, but at the end of the day, if he has ambitions of winning trophies, he's going to have to get a move on now (not necessarily to Utd).
You are right. He has already stated he wants to play in the CL (Sorry), but unless City stump up which I doubt they will - he will stay for a year to see what Brendan's project can do, then leave I reckon.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
is he? there is no reason he cannot win trophies at Leicester, that's the ambition of the club not to simply maintain prem status

King7Eric

is he? there is no reason he cannot win trophies at Leicester, that's the ambition of the club not to simply maintain prem status
If you are gonna go all Glaston over here regarding Leicester, then any discussion is futile. Suffice to say, he's more likely to win trophies in Manchester ( be it City or Utd, City more likely of course) than he is in Leicester.

King7Eric

You are right. He has already stated he wants to play in the CL (Sorry), but unless City stump up which I doubt they will - he will stay for a year to see what Brendan's project can do, then leave I reckon.
Well let's see. Personally, I wouldn't be very comfortable with a Maguire-Lindelof CB pairing as someone with pace to get in behind would cause them massive problems, so I hope we can find an alternative to Maguire, which I'm sure will work out pretty well for you as well.:D

RedCurry

It's a myth that Maguire is that good at passing and carrying the ball. He's a donkey.
Oh c'mon. Give credit where it's due. He may not be the fastest defender out there and positionally suspect sometimes, but he is excellent on the ball.

SwedishFish

Good news as long as we still try to sign a new CB. 100 million? Are they taking the piss?

Johnny Weather

I really, really wanted de Ligt. That looks like it won’t be happening. I wouldn’t mind Maguire even though he would cost so much. I just really want to see a CB come in. We need to have an upgrade over Smalling, Jones, Bailey, and Rojo. These players are not good enough to be starters for Manchester United.

tjb

I would want him, but not at that price. Tuanzebe is still waiting in the wings, we can get a cheaper centre back for the price. Ask barcelona about umtiti, keep an eye on dias, watch ake.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
This is how you finish outside the top 4 again.
I wasn't being serious, I don't really think Tuanzebe should be anywhere near the team next season, personally.

Canagel

So if we actually get Maguire and AWB and spend 120m on these 2 our defence would look like

AWB--Maguire--Lindelof--Shaw

How would this defence compare to the rest of the Top 6? Is it still good enough?
If we get a LB yes.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Why?

He's criminally overrated and not worth anywhere near £80m.
As a Leicester fan i truly hope that MUFC management agree with you, I really don't want to see him go even for 80 large

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Maguire is criminally underrated on here, just like VVD was. We have Smalling and Jones regularly partnered in our defence.. a crisp packet would make for a better defence than those two. Maguire and Wan Bissaka easing Young and Jones/Smalling out of our defence would improve us big time!
Smalling is better defensively than Maguire is. Obviously Maguire is far better on the ball though. If we were to buy him it wouldn't surprise me if we ended up playing a Maguire/Smalling partnership most of the season, although obviously Lindelof would get first shot at that position. I just don't think Lindelof and Maguire would be a good partnership.

Status
Not open for further replies.