g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

romufc

Thats true but Maguire + linelof is too slow, Smalling will get played and then it becomes pointless.
Exactly, I don't think Smalling and Maguire is a good partnership either. Spending £80m on a lindelof replacement is excessive.

Eric's Seagull

The current record for a much better defender is £70m + 5m in add ons. This would beat that record by fifteen feckin million. Don't get me wrong, Leicester are right to demand whatever they want but they're asking for figures nobody will pay and seems they will not negotiate that guaranteed figure. Even City walked away.
Maybe they are asking money they know nobody will pay as they are puropsefully pricing him out of the market, as the desperately want to keep him to build on last season and as they may feel they have the quality to qualify for Europe.

Dahnsouff

Supports
Leicester City
Maybe they are asking money they know nobody will pay as they are puropsefully pricing him out of the market, as the desperately want to keep him to build on last season and as they may feel they have the quality to qualify for Europe.
Or maybe 90m was the opening gambit from Leicester, to which Utd have said 70m and no more. End of negotiations. Doubt thats true, but who knows!

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat

This! Leicester don't want to sell. They've put a price on Maguire that reflects that. They've created a win / win. They either keep the player or raise enough to improve their squad. I'd do the same.

Even though it's a shed load of cash I would just pay it and get I done. It is what it is.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Thats true but Maguire + linelof is too slow, Smalling will get played and then it becomes pointless.
Pace is over rated. They both aren't exactly slow either, Lindelof is more than quick enough and Maguire is fast enough in a straight line, just a bit slow to turn.

Plenty of CB partnerships aren't exactly flying machines anyway. Pique / Puyol played one of the highest lines going and they weren't exactly sprinters.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Anyway, would be a massive statement from the club if they agree to pay it.

Alemar

Do we so far know exactly how much Leicester is asking for and how much did we offer?
There are way to many contradicting rumors around in this relation

Hammondo

Pace is over rated. They both aren't exactly slow either, Lindelof is more than quick enough and Maguire is fast enough in a straight line, just a bit slow to turn.

Plenty of CB partnerships aren't exactly flying machines anyway. Pique / Puyol played one of the highest lines going and they weren't exactly sprinters.
Pique was faster than maguire or lineolf, puyol was quick at turning. They also played possession based football and didnt get attacked a lot.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Pique was faster than maguire or lineolf, puyol was quick at turning. They also played possession based football and didnt get attacked a lot.
Apart from homesickness, Pique was also unused to the variety of threats faced in the PL: balls over the top,possession,crosses,route 1,pace etc. I'm not sure he would have adapted as well as Vidic and Rio did.

Fair play to him though, what a career he had.

Inigo Montoya

You're forgetting Axel. If it's pace we're after, look no further.

NinjaFletch

Leicester are not going to cave. They don't need the money and he's shown he's not going to down tools. So the only option is us caving to paying £90m. That's an outrageous sum.
And you may well be right.

That doesn't mean that the club share your view however.

stevoc

Do we so far know exactly how much Leicester is asking for and how much did we offer?
There are way to many contradicting rumors around in this relation
United offered £70,000,278.90p and Leicester want £90,000,980.75p

Seriously though theres no way anyone outside of the clubs negotiating teams would know the exact figures. Everything in the media will be 2nd hand accounts and/or guess work.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You're forgetting Axel. If it's pace we're after, look no further.
Well we're assuming the partnership will be Lindelof/Maguire.

Obviously Tuanzebe, Smalling and Bailly are both lightening quick, so if we're playing against a particularly fast CF then we will be fine.

Inigo Montoya

Well we're assuming the partnership will be Lindelof/Maguire.

Obviously Tuanzebe, Smalling and Bailly are both lightening quick, so if we're playing against a particularly fast CF then we will be fine.
Bailly is sicknote model 2 and he looks like he's trying to kill someone, never mind tackle. fecking useless! Oh he's out until 2020 anyway

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
Go for Umtiti or other CB throw a 100M on Varane, otherwise we end up panick-buying Ake or worse stay with Jones to partner up with Lindelof.
Why would Varane want to join?

What a waste of time that would be.

Nialinho

This surely will go through eventually but if it doesn't who do you think will be our Plan B? Issa Diop, Milenkovic or perhaps Ake?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Exactly, I don't think Smalling and Maguire is a good partnership either. Spending £80m on a lindelof replacement is excessive.
Lindelöf replacement? Victor Lindelöf is the best CB currently in the club, he is not being replaced.

Alemar

This surely will go through eventually but if it doesn't who do you think will be our Plan B? Issa Diop, Milenkovic or perhaps Ake?
Plan B would be Dybala and Bruno in, with Pogba staying and NO defender coming, with perhaps another attempt on Lonstaff as well.

With funds limited and several positions in need of improvement, we may just spend elsewhere this window

dove

I too think we would lack pace. We have a pacy RB and Shaw is relatively fast as well when he is not fat but playing Matic in DM will not work. Paying anything over £80m would be ridiculous.

Bestietom

This is exactly what they are trying to do, but if It's true that Maguire is pushing for a move it could be a different matter. They still won't let him go for any less than 80million which Woodward don't want to pay. This saga will go on until into next week and maybe last day. Hope we have an alternative lined up.

Last edited:

Stacks

I disagree, but I take your point... so which CB out there do you think we should be in for that would be a more reasonable cost ?
Play Axel more and use the remaining money to buy an actual quality DMC to provide cover for the defence and buy a better LB than Shaw. there are other ways to improve our overall defensive capabilities as a team. 2 quality FB's, a quality DMC, quality GK and 2 good CB's is a good defence

Dahnsouff

Supports
Leicester City
It's all so fragile though, isn't it?

One dodgy season and all the top players want to leave, or one incredible season and all the big clubs come and take all your best players.

Football has seen tons of cases like Leicester, and whilst you should undoubtedly enjoy it, it seems a little daft coming to a Man United forum to give it big guns as, whether you like it or not, we will always be above you in the food chain, and will inevitably always be more successful than you no matter how "ambitious" your owners are.

Don't forget, in this case, your player wants to leave. It just seems to have been sidetracked by the fact Unted are in talks to sign one of Europe's best attackers, whilst Leicester wait to see if they need to bid for Lewis Dunk or not.

If this Leicester team is very successful, it will get broken up. If it is incredibly unsuccessful, it will get broken up. The only hope you have of keeping this incredibly "ambitious" team together is if Shankley reincarnated himself leads you to utter mediocrity, as to prevent interest in your players.

Something to mull over before your next post informing us of how great your are and how you're coming to get all the big boys.
I actually agree with most of your points, even if they are quite combatively put!

You need look no further than your frenemies Liverpool to see that big clubs don`t disappear after time due to bad results, they just fade for a while and then re-emerge once significant investment and decent managerial decisions are made.

You are correct that Leicester and their ilk will be poached by historically large clubs when it has players with potential, but this is not a reason to not try to build ourselves a longer term established european scraping team.
Only over a sustained long period of times, likely decades, and with succes, such as trophies, high league positions, etc can clubs like Leicester, Wolves, Everton, West Ham, etc hope to shed their second tier tag.

To simply dismiss any club is a touch disingenuous*, imply that no matter what any clubs from outside the big 6 does, it is doomed to return to its "place" in the grand scheme of things.

* It may be true, it may not, but to say that any clubs attempts to do so is futile, would render this league tedious and less exciting, and we become La Liga with less challenge.

It is now difficult to declare that there has not been a seismic shift in the way most clubs in the EPL now operate with transfers, and the Maguire negotiations, and I dare say the same would occur for Diop, would confirm this belief.

Last post today, so no replies possible until tomorrow. Cheers! :)

Reactions: Ødegaard

Jcrossley94

Play Axel more and use the remaining money to buy an actual quality DMC to provide cover for the defence and buy a better LB than Shaw. there are other ways to improve our overall defensive capabilities as a team. 2 quality FB's, a quality DMC, quality GK and 2 good CB's is a good defence
United have been crying out for a solid experienced CB since Rio and Vidic left, and you think the answer is to just play Axel more? I’m sorry I couldn’t disagree more. Every great team needs a solid spine and CB is one of those positions where we lack a leader.

I fully agree we need a great CDM, but that doesn’t have to be at the expense of a great CB we can afford both...

Nialinho

Plan B would be Dybala and Bruno in, with Pogba staying and NO defender coming, with perhaps another attempt on Lonstaff as well.

With funds limited and several positions in need of improvement, we may just spend elsewhere this window
I'd say CB is easily the position that needs strengthening the most. Surely we'd prioritize a CB over signing Bruno and Dybala? Dybala is looking like a straight swap anyway is it not? Although he'd probably be one of our top earners per week..

I don't think Longstaff will happen, Newcastle have a piss poor squad as it is and although he's a big prospect £40-50M would be way too much. Maguire and one of Dybala/Bruno would be a good window, then hopefully a Matic upgrade would be next on the agenda.

foxedup

Supports
Leicester
It's all so fragile though, isn't it?

One dodgy season and all the top players want to leave, or one incredible season and all the big clubs come and take all your best players.

Football has seen tons of cases like Leicester, and whilst you should undoubtedly enjoy it, it seems a little daft coming to a Man United forum to give it big guns as, whether you like it or not, we will always be above you in the food chain, and will inevitably always be more successful than you no matter how "ambitious" your owners are.

Don't forget, in this case, your player wants to leave. It just seems to have been sidetracked by the fact Unted are in talks to sign one of Europe's best attackers, whilst Leicester wait to see if they need to bid for Lewis Dunk or not.

If this Leicester team is very successful, it will get broken up. If it is incredibly unsuccessful, it will get broken up. The only hope you have of keeping this incredibly "ambitious" team together is if Shankley reincarnated himself leads you to utter mediocrity, as to prevent interest in your players.

Something to mull over before your next post informing us of how great your are and how you're coming to get all the big boys.
Football is very fragile, it wasn't long ago you were the best team in your own city capable of signing who you wanted when you wanted. You are now buying championship wingers, looking over your shoulders at who might take your Europa place, rather than looking at the title Man City keep winning and struggling to get a player from little old Leicester.

So what do you suggest, that we don't bother trying? Cancel the new training ground and ground expansion lads, Jimmy Bond says we'll never get anywhere. Everyone is well aware that we will lose players, but what we can control when people are under long contracts is when and for how much. So if you would kindly pony up £90m, Maguire can skip win his merry way with all of our blessings and we shall all chuckle when your manager gets the tin tack trying to play a high line with someone who looks like they are running through treacle.

stepic

we're gonna sign Dybala out of nowhere before we can agree a deal with feckin Leicester.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
We've spent 2 Summers trying to budge Leicester on a fee. Either pay or move on. Crazy.

Nordskog

I thought the Maguire deal was a certainty to happen and the Dybala one was no chance, it's looking like it's the opposite. I'd prefer Maguire.

Last edited:

Jimmy_Bond

Football is very fragile, it wasn't long ago you were the best team in your own city capable of signing who you wanted when you wanted. You are now buying championship wingers, looking over your shoulders at who might take your Europa place, rather than looking at the title Man City keep winning and struggling to get a player from little old Leicester.

So what do you suggest, that we don't bother trying? Cancel the new training ground and ground expansion lads, Jimmy Bond says we'll never get anywhere. Everyone is well aware that we will lose players, but what we can control when people are under long contracts is when and for how much. So if you would kindly pony up £90m, Maguire can skip win his merry way with all of our blessings and we shall all chuckle when your manager gets the tin tack trying to play a high line with someone who looks like they are running through treacle.
United's worst case situation is Leicester's best. Best thing Maguire can achieve with Leicester is the exact situation United are currently tying to elevate themselves from.

Maybe Ole will get the sack. Maybe then the next manager will decide he wants Maddison or Ndidi, both of whom will undoubtedly rather play for a struggling United side (languishing in 6th) rather than a successful Leicester side (flying high in 7th).

Like everyone else, I grew very fond of Leicester during the year you won the league and of course with what they went through with the owner dying. However, some of the nonsense you post and the attitude behind it makes it difficult to retain such fondness. Like I said in a previous post, you are pricing Maguire out of a move by asking an astronomical fee way beyond his actual worth. It's up to Maguire to decide if this is reasonable on the club's part in correlation with discussions had when he signed his contract. If he not willing to put in a transfer request and waive any "loyalty" bonus and really push a move, and Leicester won't negotiate on £90m, of course we should move on.

I personally think Leicester will regret it more than United in the long run, as when Maguire does eventually leave, it wont be for the figures mentioned this summer. I still suspect it will happen, and I suspect it will be for less than £90m.

Trophy Room

I find it very hard to believe that Leicester won’t agree to a deal of around 80 million.

My feeling is that we have offered significantly less than that and Leicester quite rightly aren’t budging.

It’ll be a shame if this falls through. He’s a lot better than everyone thinks.

Jcrossley94

I find it very hard to believe that Leicester won’t agree to a deal of around 80 million.

My feeling is that we have offered significantly less than that and Leicester quite rightly aren’t budging.

It’ll be a shame if this falls through. He’s a lot better than everyone thinks.
It will be a massive shame. Exactly the kind of character/leader were missing.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Oh, I totally agree. I'd go for Diop at West Ham at 70m if that was the case
I just hope we sign any CB, I wouldn't feel comfortable going into next season with our current options.

foxedup

Supports
Leicester
United's worst case situation is Leicester's best. Best thing Maguire can achieve with Leicester is the exact situation United are currently tying to elevate themselves from..
And the last time you won the league and got into the champions league quarters was? You are going backwards, consistently so very sure that the status quo will stay just that. Much more mismanagement from the top of your club and I think that tune will be changing.

Maybe Ole will get the sack. Maybe then the next manager will decide he wants Maddison or Ndidi, both of whom will undoubtedly rather play for a struggling United side (languishing in 6th) rather than a successful Leicester side (flying high in 7th).
And we can then rinse you for another £90m each and go off and invest in players we've scouted, rather than just looking at who is making the papers and deciding you just have to have them.

Like everyone else, I grew very fond of Leicester during the year you won the league and of course with what they went through with the owner dying. However, some of the nonsense you post and the attitude behind it makes it difficult to retain such fondness.
Irony overload... I think perhaps you should go back and analyse my first post and then yours and see who is spouting nonsense and who has the attitude. Since then, I've just replied in kind to your condescending posts.

I personally think Leicester will regret it more than United in the long run, as when Maguire does eventually leave, it wont be for the figures mentioned this summer. I still suspect it will happen, and I suspect it will be for less than £90m.
I'm sure our billionaire owner will cry tears of sadness at the thought.

SATA

Anyone else thinks we have dropped him and instead decided to go all full mental attack to get Dybala and Fernandes, and at the same time promote Axel to be a first team regular?

Status
Not open for further replies.