Hazard or Bale

Who is the better player and attacker?

• Total voters

Rossa

If were talking about 'effectiveness' Hazard has won 2 leagues in 3 seasons, both in which he is one of the best players in the league, he is very effective, if we're talking about stats then thats another story, but you have to remember the composition of the teams Bale and Hazard play for are different, Bale is playing for a team which blitzes the league and plays open expansive football, Hazard especially in the season Chelsea won the league had a greater role for his team than just padding stats against the minnows, he was the hub of the team as a playmaker as a creator and as a scorer, this gets overlooked nearly every time when this discussion is brought up.
You can be an ineffective, or even downright average, player in a great team (not applying for Hazard), so I'm not sure I agree with your argument. Hazard has stated himself that he will never score as many goals as Messi or Ronaldo. He doesn't look to assist a whole lot either. He contributes a lot in build-up play, so he's kind of more similar to Iniesta perhaps?

Prodigal7

Despite bales pace and power I think Hazard brings more to a team overall. Far more ability to get his team scoring rather than trying to be a one man wrecking ball. Hazards impact is really underrated. It's no coincidence that if he has a good season Chelsea tend to win/look like winning the league.

salford_

Bale probably a better match winner, but i prefer Hazard myself. And would rather watch Hazard play

GeorgieBoy

Better athlete - Bale
Better technical footballer - Hazard
If we could sign one though, it'd be Bale for me.

RoyH1

If Bale wasn't so brittle, it would be him by a country mile. Can play all over the midfield and attack.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Hazard is such an overrated player. I cant believe we have this thread comparing him with Bale.

On the other, two years back he was being companre to Ronaldo and Messi so the opinion on him is headed in the right direction at least.

Robben/Ribery level player, one level below Neymar/Bale and two levels below Ronaldo/Messi.
Wow, peak Robben and Ribery have easily been Bale's level if not better. Neymar will go down as the better player than both of them but their prime against his best form so far isn't really much apart either.

mancan92

What a daft post. Just look at the sort of numbers Bale and Neymar have been churning out year after year. The likes of Hazard, Robben dont even come close much less Ribery.
Are you kidding me? How in the world are Neymar and Bale a level above Robben and Ribery at their peak? Robben at the very least has reached levels beyond definitely bale. Ribery although not consistent throughout his career has put in seasons better than bale.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It really is close, unless you think Bale is very close to Messi....

To say its not close is hilarious, Hazard is one of the better players in the world and he doesn't play for teams anywhere near as attacking or expansive as the ones Bale and Neymar do.
Yeah, i meant when judging them it's not really close. Bale is clearly the better player. That said, yes, of course they're close in terms of ability

unitedforeveral

Everybody thinks football is all about scoring goals and if so, knowing that they are both wingers we do know they're both very good players. Both these talents were recognised by the greatest of managers in Jose and Anchelotti, they deserve credit for that. But when it comes to one v one, here are the comparisons:

BALE HAZARD

Offense: 8/10 8/10
Creation: 8/10 7/10
Passing: 9/10 9/10
Finishing: 9/10 8/10
Defense: 7/10 8/10

That's pretty close but there is one more attribute,

Experience: 9/10 7/10

Therefore, Bale.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Put it like this: if we're only judging hazard on his 14/15 pl season, i think he might just edge it. Problem is, hazard has yet to replicate that form, both in the league, in the CL and for belgium

And it might just be a case of him being held back by his teams...

Fenomeno9

Are you kidding me? How in the world are Neymar and Bale a level above Robben and Ribery at their peak? Robben at the very least has reached levels beyond definitely bale. Ribery although not consistent throughout his career has put in seasons better than bale.
To be fair not that long ago Robben was considered a choke artist and wasn't viewed in the same light as he is now.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Has he been great against a top country for Wales?

Genuine question
Easiest example would be Wales v Belgium... direct comparison, recent and think Belgium were ranked 2 at the time?

Bale had a decent game (less obvious in terms of end result but effective and a good example of how he can work as part of a team)....... Hazard relatively anonymous, huffed and puffed but well controlled by Welsh MF and defence.

Bale had 23 shots in the tournament 17 on target, scored 3. Hazard 6, 3, 1.

Bale was good to excellent throughout tournament too.

Finally, which team/squad were most likely to progress and give you the chance to shine? Think most people thought it'd be Belgium but despite players from Italy, United, City, Spurs, etc Hazard couldn't help raise their game..... meanwhile, Bale played in a team with players from non PL teams and some without clubs - good example of someone who can shine individually while making the team he plays for better.

Bale over Hazard any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

EyeInTheSky

Easiest example would be Wales v Belgium... direct comparison, recent and think Belgium were ranked 2 at the time?

Bale had a decent game (less obvious in terms of end result but effective and a good example of how he can work as part of a team)....... Hazard relatively anonymous, huffed and puffed but well controlled by Welsh MF and defence.

Bale had 23 shots in the tournament 17 on target, scored 3. Hazard 6, 3, 1.

Bale was good to excellent throughout tournament too.

Finally, which team/squad were most likely to progress and give you the chance to shine? Think most people thought it'd be Belgium but despite players from Italy, United, City, Spurs, etc Hazard couldn't help raise their game..... meanwhile, Bale played in a team with players from non PL teams and some without clubs - good example of someone who can shine individually while making the team he plays for better.

Bale over Hazard any day of the week and twice on Sundays.
easy example or "Only" example :lol:

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
What a daft post. Just look at the sort of numbers Bale and Neymar have been churning out year after year. The likes of Hazard, Robben dont even come close much less Ribery.
Its laughable you think Neymar and Bale are above Robben and Ribery. Incredible really. Neymar has been average for the good part of a year now.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Some serious underrating of Ribery and Robben in this thread, Hazard has never reached the levels of either of them or Bale. Hazard's done feck all in Europe for a start which is the best stick to measure with. Not even close for me, Bale every time.

Well when someone (you) types "Has he been great against a top country for Wales?"..... the "a" in the sentence suggests asking for one example?

That said, I didnt post about the "only" example, I posted about the tournament as a whole also and how they respectively performed, individually and in their respective teams?

I'd say they had similar strength group opposition and Hazard scored ZERO..... when they needed him against top class opposition (Italy) which you asked about Bale, he was nowhere. He managed one goal v an average Hungary team and did diddly v Wales.

Bale (in a much worse squad, on paper) scored in every group game.

If a direct comparison and tournament performance is still "only" for you, how about the Euro qualifiers, which is another perfect example to compare being as they were in the same group so played the same opposition?

Hazard scored five (though two pens), Bale scored seven (no pens) and was equal top scorer in the group. When they played each other, one was a draw, the other Wales won with BALE the goalscorer (excellent anticipation and cool finish).... again, Hazard ran around looking busy but couldn't influence the game.

Bale makes a difference through effort, teamwork, assists and goals... stats, above show that. Bale looks comfortable in a good team, but can raise an 'average' team.... Hazard looks good in a good team (still a very good player mind).

Oh and Bale has scored in a CL Final (which are generally stronger quality than a lot of international matches).

By any measure, I'd choose Bale.

prarek

Hazard is a better footballer, more talented and more skilled. But Bale has more killer instinct and is probably a better match winner. Tough one. Bale just edges it for me.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
You think Bale & Neymar are above Robben? :lol:

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
To be fair how many great teams have Wales played? If we're only counting the best teams in the world, then in competitive games they've only played Belgium a couple times and that's it. He's consistently played better teams than Wales though and led his sides to victories, you'd be hard pressed to find someone who was more important to their teams Euro qualification than Bale was.

He played well against Belgium in qualifying too, leading his team to a 1-0 victory where of course he scored the sole goal of the game.

Then again I find your original point well off the mark, as he won the PFA player of the season while playing for Spurs, who were far from the best team in the league.

I can understand someone choosing Hazard, but to say Bale only shines in great teams is very disingenuous when he's shown scintillating form for Wales and Spurs.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Is this even a debate? Bale is clearly the better player IMO.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
I feel like people tend to overrate players that play for the Spanish giants, even to the point of downplaying the level of players like Robben and Ribery. @AshfordLad doesn't have much basis for those claims

prarek

I feel like people tend to overrate players that play for the Spanish giants, even to the point of downplaying the level of players like Robben and Ribery. @AshfordLad doesn't have much basis for those claims
Considering that since 2006 Barca and Madrid have won more CL trophies than the rest of Europe combined..

AgentP

If fully fit, I'll always choose Bale. But he gets injured too often for my liking and takes a bit of time to get back into his rhythm. For this reason and for being 2 years younger, I would choose Hazard. I remember being really pissed off when we refused to pay the 8m agent fee needed to sign Hazard and ultimately losing out to Chelsea.

Erictheking7

From the trawler in front of the seagulls.........
Bale quite easily. I think people have forgotten how good he is since he's been in Spain. Hazard on the other hand is a lovely player when at his best but goes missing in action for club and country far too often. I couldn't see Hazard nailing down a place in Madrid's team for long.

Skills

Snitch
Wow, peak Robben and Ribery have easily been Bale's level if not better. Neymar will go down as the better player than both of them but their prime against his best form so far isn't really much apart either.
Not sure that's a given. I don't think there was that much better than Arjen Robben at his best. In my opinion he's a top 5 player of this generation alongside Messi, Ronaldo, Xavi and Iniesta. Pretty illustrious company.

If fully fit, I'll always choose Bale. But he gets injured too often for my liking and takes a bit of time to get back into his rhythm. For this reason and for being 2 years younger, I would choose Hazard. I remember being really pissed off when we refused to pay the 8m agent fee needed to sign Hazard and ultimately losing out to Chelsea.
I remember being pissed that we missed out on Bale, though to be fair that was more Southampton/his agents fault ..... which ended up costing them. Another reason to beat them in the League Cup Final .... on top of '76.

Yes, I hold a grudge.

Righteous Steps

True if Hazard ever goes to one of the big two clubs people will see how truly good he is, for example i don't think Suarez or Bale got the plaudits they deserved till their moves, Hazard playing for a team that blitzes teams by 3 or 4 goals a game would look even more special, also playing under even more attacking orientated managers, Conte and Mourinho are two of the best managers in the world but they're not exactly known for their scintillating attacking setups, rather for the discipline, ruthlessness and sheer robotic like consistency of their teams

Redlyn

Not sure that's a given. I don't think there was that much better than Arjen Robben at his best. In my opinion he's a top 5 player of this generation alongside Messi, Ronaldo, Xavi and Iniesta. Pretty illustrious company.
As a forward/wide forward to stand beside Ronaldo and Messi you need to be literally a goal a game type of player. Which he is not.

tomaldinho1

I think people have forgotten how good Bale is...Hazard's a great great player but I can't really think of anyone I would rather have at United than Bale. Fully fit, I don't think he has a weakness whereas Hazard literally decided not to show up for the entirety of last season.

Righteous Steps

I think people have forgotten how good Bale is...Hazard's a great great player but I can't really think of anyone I would rather have at United than Bale. Fully fit, I don't think he has a weakness whereas Hazard literally decided not to show up for the entirety of last season.
He is not as good in tight spaces, thats a weakness from the top of my head.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
He is not as good in tight spaces, thats a weakness from the top of my head.
Personally I think this was more of a problem in his early days at Madrid, before his latest injury he'd come on leaps and bounds with regards to his ball control and retention when pressed and squeezed. Of course if you're comparing his close control to Hazard then he certainly comes off worse as Hazard is at an elite level with regards to close ball control.

EyeInTheSky

To be fair how many great teams have Wales played? If we're only counting the best teams in the world, then in competitive games they've only played Belgium a couple times and that's it. He's consistently played better teams than Wales though and led his sides to victories, you'd be hard pressed to find someone who was more important to their teams Euro qualification than Bale was.

He played well against Belgium in qualifying too, leading his team to a 1-0 victory where of course he scored the sole goal of the game.

Then again I find your original point well off the mark, as he won the PFA player of the season while playing for Spurs, who were far from the best team in the league.

I can understand someone choosing Hazard, but to say Bale only shines in great teams is very disingenuous when he's shown scintillating form for Wales and Spurs.
That there is exactly my point. You can't argue that he has been great for wales when they/he have not faced the best teams.

You can't have it both ways. This is not about bale per say but about the logic of the argument when your comparing with another player who has been great against the top sides internationally.

I think if he was in a better national team then he would not have to be a one man army and would shine against the better sides.

That there is exactly my point. You can't argue that he has been great for wales when they/he have not faced the best teams.

You can't have it both ways. This is not about bale per say but about the logic of the argument when your comparing with another player who has been great against the top sides internationally.

I think if he was in a better national team then he would not have to be a one man army and would shine against the better sides.
So your argument was Bale had never done it against decent international opposition, then when given an example, you say it's "only" one and do a smiley face (way to make your case) then given good arguments re last international tournament and DIRECT comparison when countries played each other, you try and tackle it from another angle, namely Hazard has been great against top sides..... has he?

His goals have been v Kazakhstan, Montenegro, Slovakia, Macedonia, Sweden, Cyprus, France (friendly), Bosnia, Cyprus, Andorra, Israel, Norway, Hungary, Bosnia, Gibraltar, Estonia.

Yeah, top opposition?

"You can't have it both ways?"

#agenda