Hazard or Bale

Who is the better player and attacker?

• Total voters

EyeInTheSky

So your argument was Bale had never done it against decent international opposition, then when given an example, you say it's "only" one and do a smiley face (way to make your case) then given good arguments re last international tournament and DIRECT comparison when countries played each other, you try and tackle it from another angle, namely Hazard has been great against top sides..... has he?

His goals have been v Kazakhstan, Montenegro, Slovakia, Macedonia, Sweden, Cyprus, France (friendly), Bosnia, Cyprus, Andorra, Israel, Norway, Hungary, Bosnia, Gibraltar, Estonia.

Yeah, top opposition?

"You can't have it both ways?"

#agenda
Your having a mare mate. Step away from the keyboard...

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
So your argument was Bale had never done it against decent international opposition, then when given an example, you say it's "only" one and do a smiley face (way to make your case) then given good arguments re last international tournament and DIRECT comparison when countries played each other, you try and tackle it from another angle, namely Hazard has been great against top sides..... has he?

His goals have been v Kazakhstan, Montenegro, Slovakia, Macedonia, Sweden, Cyprus, France (friendly), Bosnia, Cyprus, Andorra, Israel, Norway, Hungary, Bosnia, Gibraltar, Estonia.

Yeah, top opposition?

"You can't have it both ways?"

#agenda
Fair point, also playing for Wales and to the level he does should put in more contrast how a good player he is, and not being a handicap just because he's not facing "the best teams" constantly and it isn't like Hazard has teared apart Germany or Brazil.

That being said I still rate Hazard as he has a different skillset that Bale but considering things as work rate, attitude, etc. I'd give it the edge to Bale.

red4ever 79

IS this a serious question? One is a world class performer who has scored in domestic finals and champions league finals whilst also delivering for his country on the big stage. THe other is a guy who had 1 good season. then threw his toys out the pram and then had half another good season so far

tomaldinho1

He is not as good in tight spaces, thats a weakness from the top of my head.
I wouldn't say Bale is weak in tight spaces though...would you?

I'm assuming you are saying that Hazard is better than Bale in tight spaces which I would agree with, Hazard is phenomenal on the turn and in wriggling out of trouble. My point was just that Bale doesn't really have a weakness whereas with Hazard you could question him in a few areas.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
That there is exactly my point. You can't argue that he has been great for wales when they/he have not faced the best teams.

You can't have it both ways. This is not about bale per say but about the logic of the argument when your comparing with another player who has been great against the top sides internationally.

I think if he was in a better national team then he would not have to be a one man army and would shine against the better sides.
That's the thing, he has shined against the better sides, consistently.

Wales have often played superior teams where Wales have won with Bale being the main factor. It's all about relativity, for Wales playing teams like Serbia, England, Croatia, Russia where Bale has shined shows that he can obviously do it without being part of a star studded team, which you claimed originally. When they have played a 'top' side in Belgium, Bale has played excellently (and better than Hazard) in multiple games against them.

Hazard's exploits at international level don't come close to Bale.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Oh good Chelsea at the top of the league means the overrating of Hazard starts all over again. Hes miles behind Bale as a player and the only reason people would say otherwise is because he has pretty little dribbling skills

Righteous Steps

Oh good Chelsea at the top of the league means the overrating of Hazard starts all over again. Hes miles behind Bale as a player and the only reason people would say otherwise is because he has pretty little dribbling skills
He is a better passer, better dribbler and playmaker.

Not just pretty dribbling skills, Chelsea being top of the league again is partly due to Hazard, not as much as it was in Mourinhos season but still its no coincidence that hi form coincides with Chelsea running away with the league again, he is important to Chelsea in many ways that goes beyond just common goal and assists stats which seems to be the only way to judge attacking players nowadays.

Righteous Steps

Bale has 7 in 16 this season btw, he had an incredible season last season across all boards, but barring that 17 goals in 48 and 22 goals in 44 playing for a far more expansive and better attacking side than Hazard doesn't scream of someone who is levels above, not at all.

The only players a level above Hazard, are of course Messi Suarez and Ronaldo, everyone else including Neymar and Bale are at a similar level imo.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
2nd League title in 3 years. Would've been 3 in 4 if he didn't get injured in 2014. ;)

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The only players a level above Hazard, are of course Messi Suarez and Ronaldo, everyone else including Neymar and Bale are at a similar level imo.
mmm....i don't know about this. I don't think Suarez is a level above neymar and bale for one(and neither is the current cristiano), and i think hazard is a level below those guys. He's played at a similar level for one season but has yet to reach the same peaks as those other 3 players and lacks the same consistency at that level(with neymar, you could make a case he also hasn't consistently been on that level, but on the other hand, the peak he reached in 2015 calendar year was a thing to behold)

Righteous Steps

mmm....i don't know about this. I don't think Suarez is a level above neymar and bale for one(and neither is the current cristiano), and i think hazard is a level below those guys. He's played at a similar level for one season but has yet to reach the same peaks as those other 3 players and lacks the same consistency at that level(with neymar, you could make a case he also hasn't consistently been on that level, but on the other hand, the peak he reached in 2015 calendar year was a thing to behold)
Suarez is a level above at his best, neither Bale or Neymar have come close to Suarez last Liverpool season and since then he has outscored and assisted both of them in a comparative time, can't be one argument for one and another argument for another, people use metrics like goals and assists to argue Bale is a level above Hazard then the same applies in regards to Suarez doesn't it?

I agree though would say Suarez is better than Bale and Neymar but yes only Messi is truly a 'level above'.

Hazard Bale and Neymar are on the same level, Hazard is having a good season this one, Bale hasn't outperformed him(injuries) and neither has Neymar.

Hawks2008

Hazard for me. Bale has stronger athletic qualities but I think Hazard is a better technician and has a better 'football brain' for lack of a better term.

The underrating of Hazard on here is mental. He's arguably the best player in the league and if he came to United he would instantly be our best player.

Last edited:

RooneyLegend

Either. Depends on what a team needs and all that. Very different players and both world class. A level below the Neymar's, Suarez's and Robben's of this world while being 2 levels below the messi and Ronaldo level.

Treble_Winning

It seems that the art of being a winger is lost in modern football. Neither Bale nor Hazard offer the directness or the sheer entertainment value of Giggs. Now that was one world class winger who would just take opponents on and run past them like they were department store dummies. The world has yet to produce a worthy successor to Giggs, the last true elite winger.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
It seems that the art of being a winger is lost in modern football. Neither Bale nor Hazard offer the directness or the sheer entertainment value of Giggs. Now that was one world class winger who would just take opponents on and run past them like they were department store dummies. The world has yet to produce a worthy successor to Giggs, the last true elite winger.
Yeah I think the role of the modern winger has also evolved a bit. They are no longer mainly touchline hugging wingers, getting to the byeline for a cross. The preference these days being playing a left footer on the right and vice versa, then cutting in to cause chaos, with the fullbacks providing the overlap.

I really like Douglas Costa, fwiw.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Yeah I think the role of the modern winger has also evolved a bit. They are no longer mainly touchline hugging wingers, getting to the byeline for a cross. The preference these days being playing a left footer on the right and vice versa, then cutting in to cause chaos, with the fullbacks providing the overlap.

I really like Douglas Costa, fwiw.
Probably only Bayern player who didn't look good against Arsenal. He started superbly last season and then the assists and goals dried up isn't it?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
It's not a quality issue more a tactical one. Had Arjen Robben or Neymar came through in the 1990s for example, they'd have likely fulfilled similar roles to Giggs. And had Giggs come through today, he'd probably have been on the right cutting in, or in a roving Nedved or Di Maria-esque role.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Suarez is a level above at his best, neither Bale or Neymar have come close to Suarez last Liverpool season
I'd take 2015 Neymar over any version of Suarez in a heartbeat. Anybody who watched barcelona regularly would do the same. During Messi's injury fall of 2015, Suarez was still his usual great self, and yet he looked at least a level below next to neymar

and since then he has outscored and assisted both of them in a comparative time, can't be one argument for one and another argument for another, people use metrics like goals and assists to argue Bale is a level above Hazard then the same applies in regards to Suarez doesn't it?
I don't. Yes, Suarez has been better in the first half of 2016. Since then, not really. Suarez has better goal stats and similar assists stats because he's usually the one getting on the end of what neymar does. Neymar's the player who created the most chances to score in europe this season

Hazard is having a good season this one, Bale hasn't outperformed him(injuries) and neither has Neymar.
Agree on this though. Hazard and Neymar are performing on a similar level this season. Bale was doing better than both before he got injured, but he's been injured for months

Righteous Steps

I'd take 2015 Neymar over any version of Suarez in a heartbeat. Anybody who watched barcelona regularly would do the same. During Messi's injury fall of 2015, Suarez was still his usual great self, and yet he looked at least a level below next to neymar

I don't. Yes, Suarez has been better in the first half of 2016. Since then, not really. Suarez has better goal stats and similar assists stats because he's usually the one getting on the end of what neymar does. Neymar's the player who created the most chances to score in europe this season

Agree on this though. Hazard and Neymar are performing on a similar level this season. Bale was doing better than both before he got injured, but he's been injured for months
The best Suarez was the 13/14 season one, the one at Barca is a dumbed down more efficient number 9 version, Suarez at the last season at Liverpool was actually combining the best of Neymars creative game, while putting up scoring at a rate Neymar is yet to match.

And Suarez has been better this season also.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Bale and easily so. Bale has done at every possible level for club and country whereas Hazard has been underwhelming in the CL and for Belgium.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
They're different sorts of players and you'll choose one depending on who else is in your team. If you have another player who can provide quality service and pull defenses out of shapes, you'll take Bale every time. If you have a quality finisher in or around the final third, you'd take Hazard.

For a one off match Bale is probably the better option but if age and injuries are a factor you'd have to be mad to not take Hazard though in my opinion.

beckbeck

Another big game where Bale is an absolute passanger and/or gets injured.

It's insane how many people still rate him above Hazard, a guy that wins points week in and week out. It's also crazy how Zidane insists on picking him over Isco, Asensio or even Morata.

Exxxcalibur

Supports
Chelsea
Another big game where Bale is an absolute passanger and/or gets injured.

It's insane how many people still rate him above Hazard, a guy that wins points week in and week out. It's also crazy how Zidane insists on picking him over Isco, Asensio or even Morata.
In this forum, every good attacking player (regardless of position) who plays in a foreign league is compared to Hazard and almost always rated above him so it's not something to be taken seriously.

el3mel

Overall it's Bale, but his form has dropped heavily recently so now it's Eden.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
A graphic was shown last night does Bale really only have 7 goals this season?

LFC-Fans

Supports
Liverpool
4 UCL goals in his last 3 seasons, very consistent

IMO he has been a bit of a meh signing at Madrid for 85m
Hazard last season was a relegation player. That's a huge spectrum.

Aidan Azar

Supports
Chelsea
Bale obviously. Hazard is just an inconsistent 1 season wonder living off his 2015 season.

08-09 Ligue 1 Young Player of the Year
09-10 Ligue 1 Young Player of the Year
10-11 Ligue 1 Player of the Year
11-12 Ligue 1 Player of the Year
12-13 Premier League Team of the Year
13-14 Premier League Young Player of the Year
14-15 Premier League Player of the Year
15-16 ...
16-17 Premier League Player of the Year Runner up