ICC Cricket World Cup 2019

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Nah New Zealanders have everything right to have a moan. The fact that the players have been so gracious is a credit to them. Least Cnuty team in the world.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Why were so many Indians supporting New Zealand/are salty England won?

Is there some sort of Anti-England agenda amongst Indian fans?
Are you deliberately being obtuse?

Did you, as a Spurs fan, celebrate on congratulate Arsenal when they won the league at WHL?

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Nah New Zealanders have everything right to have a moan. The fact that the players have been so gracious is a credit to them. Least Cnuty team in the world.
I do feel sorry for them, and their fans. I don’t feel sorry for their media mind after some of the shite they write about rugby.

marktan

Could England theoretically offer to share the world cup? Would make them look very classy, and didn't really feel like there was a winner or a loser yesterday.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Agreed. They are a real respectful bunch & play the game the right way without moaning about what happened. Credit to both sets of players for how the game was played.

AshRK

Why were so many Indians supporting New Zealand/are salty England won?

Is there some sort of Anti-England agenda amongst Indian fans?
Another generalizing stupid comment. Not only many indians but many people around the world cheered for NZ, because they were the underdogs and nothing to do with anti england brigade. If India or Australia were playing against NZ yesterday many English people would have cheered for NZ. Just go back to the semifinals game and you will see a lot of anti indian posts and people celebrating when each indian wickets fell. So would that mean there is some agenda against Indian side too.

Secondly apart from couple of posters a lot of people (Indian) have congratulated and actually called england deserving winners, not only here but all across social media. Maybe you are just focusing on those couple of posters and are choosing to ignore other posters. So stop generalizing.

Last edited:

Djemba-Djemba

It's a shame there had to be a runner up yesterday, especially because these Kiwis seem brilliant people.

Kane Williamson is an absolute gentleman, as well as an incredible batsman and the best captain around.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I have no issue with England winning because of the tied super over rules. That was the rule in place before the tournament.

I do think in the future though, that a tied super over should result in another super over being played. Shane Warne mentioned this. Seems a fairier way to do it.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I have no issue with England winning because of the tied super over rules. That was the rule in place before the tournament.

I do think in the future though, that a tied super over should result in another super over being played. Shane Warne mentioned this. Seems a fairier way to do it.
I can assure you right now that till you & I are alive we will never see another tied superover in an ICC knockout game . It was a completely freak thing that happened

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Another generalizing stupid comment. Not only many indians but many people around the world cheered for NZ, because they were the underdogs and nothing to do with anti england brigade. If India or Australia were playing against NZ yesterday many English people would have cheered for NZ. Just go back to the semifinals game and you will see a lot of anti indian posts and people celebrating when each indian wickets fell. So would that mean there is some agenda against Indian side too.

Secondly apart from couple of posters a lot of people (Indian) have congratulated and actually called england deserving winners, not only here but all across social media. Maybe you are just focusing on those couple of posters and are choosing to ignore other posters. So stop generalizing.
It was a question and not a comment, you tit. It genuinely comes across from this thread/social media that a lot of Indian fans are angry England have won and I asked why.

If NZ/Australia won I probably wouldn't invest time in telling people that England cheated, England were lucky, England didn't deserve it.

And once again, asking a question isn't generalising, and a couple of people praising England doesn't change the general fact that a lot of Indians seem to be weirdly against England. It's not just here, it's all over the internet that I've observed it.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Could England theoretically offer to share the world cup? Would make them look very classy, and didn't really feel like there was a winner or a loser yesterday.
Why would England do that . They won the tournament and it actually demeans their own victory. Kiwis had their own share of luck in this tournament . Williamson didn't walk Vs Saffers and won his team the game , heck he didn't walk yesterday either .

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Lot's of people from various countries don't like England being successful in sport. Remember the world cup last year? Given British history in those countries, it's understandable. I don't really care if people don't like when England are successful. It's just sporting banter.

AshRK

It was a question and not a comment, you tit. It genuinely comes across from this thread/social media that a lot of Indian fans are angry England have won and I asked why.

If NZ/Australia won I probably wouldn't invest time in telling people that England cheated, England were lucky, England didn't deserve it.

And once again, asking a question isn't generalising, and a couple of people praising England doesn't change the general fact that a lot of Indians seem to be weirdly against England. It's not just here, it's all over the internet that I've observed it.
And again you are generalizing by just focusing on Indians. And also no one is angry, many (even non indians) are upset that NZ could not win and again nothing to do with England, you are just reading too much into the english hatred crap. No one hates this English cricket side and just because one guy here has some hatred towards England does not mean all are like that or most are like that because there are some here who hate Indian people and their cricket, does that mean all english people hate Indians.

Again to repeat people in general are upset for NZ and not upset because England freaking won it. And fun fact many Indians fans actually have a more heated rivalry with Aussies and won't mind england winning the cup. You are just choosing to focus on Indians in particular when there are many people from different nationalities who wanted NZ to win because they were the underdogs, just like many neutral non spurs rivals were supporting you lot in the CL final as you were the underdogs. Not that difficult to understand unless you are thick.

Di Maria's angel

I think the rivalry between India and England has developed a lot recently. The tour of 2011 followed by losing at home in 2012. I think Kohli came out and once said something along the lines "wait till you come to India".

We got smashed in 2014 and then repsonded by whitewashing in 2016. England being the only team to beat us at home since 2004. I think they've become our main rivals over the past fews and we genuinely look forward to their visits. That said, we don't like them and I don't think that'll change.

As long as nothing translates to a personal level, then theres nothing wrong with rivalry in sport. No idea why SquishySquish is offended by Indian fans and their lack of celebration towards England winning yesterday - who cares? Why does it affect you so much?

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Should England have got five, and not six, for overthrows?

It was a contest that could not be separated by runs scored, in regulation play or the Super Over, but were England inadvertently awarded one run too many during the chaotic scenes of Trent Boult's final over to Ben Stokes in their chase?

In what was later pinpointed by New Zealand's captain Kane Williamson as the key "uncontrollable" of England's run chase, Stokes inadvertently sent a throw from deep midwicket skimming to the third-man boundary with his bat, after diving for his crease in a bid to complete a second run.

After consultation with his colleagues, Kumar Dharmasena signaled six runs for the incident, meaning that England - seemingly drifting out of contention needing nine runs from three balls, were suddenly right back in the hunt needing three more from two.

However, according to Law 19.8, pertaining to "Overthrow or wilful act of fielder", it would appear that England's second on-field run should not have counted, making it a total of five runs for the incident, not six.

The law states: "If the boundary results from an overthrow or from the wilful act of a fielder, the runs scored shall be any runs for penalties awarded to either side, and the allowance for the boundary, and the runs completed by the batsmen, together with the run in progress if they had already crossed at the instant of the throw or act."

The crucial clause is the last part. A review of the footage of the incident shows clearly that, at the moment the ball was released by the New Zealand fielder, Martin Guptill, Stokes and his partner, Adil Rashid, had not yet crossed for their second run.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/27191816/should-england-got-five-not-six-overthrows

Dedicated to all those who were asking me how me how england were undeserving to be declared winners.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
And again you are generalizing by just focusing on Indians. And also no one is angry, many (even non indians) are upset that NZ could not win and again nothing to do with England, you are just reading too much into the english hatred crap. No one hates this English cricket side and just because one guy here has some hatred towards England does not mean all are like that or most are like that because there are some here who hate Indian people and their cricket, does that mean all english people hate Indians.

Again to repeat people in general are upset for NZ and not upset because England freaking won it. And fun fact many Indians fans actually have a more heated rivalry with Aussies and won't mind england winning the cup. You are just choosing to focus on Indians in particular when there are many people from different nationalities who wanted NZ to win because they were the underdogs, just like many neutral non spurs rivals were supporting you lot in the CL final as you were the underdogs. Not that difficult to understand unless you are thick.

I mean, that's just the way it comes across to me on social media. It's packed full of people from India spamming chats about how England are cheats, it's undeserved, etc etc .. I can only say what I see. It's not just because there's one guy here, it's something I've observed over numerous platforms. You're talking about one guy on here when it's fecking clear that it isn't just guy (there's been a few pretty bitter ones just in here) and it's actually pretty widespread.

I'm not choosing to focus on anything, I saw mostly Indian people on social media being the ones who were most bitter about England's win, so came in and asked if that was generally the case/if there's some sort of big rivalry in cricket. You'd have to be really thick to not work out the difference between making a generalisation and asking a damn question.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Another take away from yesterday, is just confirming how superior ODI cricket is to 20/20. I will never get the love for the latter. Each to their own and all that.

Zlatattack

It was a long time ago now. Should we be still angry with the french for invading England? Or countless other countries from the past.
British people need to understand that there are still people suffering the consequences today of the decisions of the Briitsh empire. For those people, the evil of empire doesn't end - because the suffering caused by it hasn't ended.

I'm not saying this particular cricketing rivaly is down to that, it might just be that the person involved considers England India a sporting rivalry - but I think the political history adds a bit to it. Like England Germany or England Scotland.

AshRK

I mean, that's just the way it comes across to me on social media. It's packed full of people from India spamming chats about how England are cheats, it's undeserved, etc etc .. I can only say what I see. It's not just because there's one guy here, it's something I've observed over numerous platforms.

I'm not choosing to focus on anything, I saw mostly Indian people on social media being the ones who were most bitter about England's win, so came in and asked if that was generally the case/if there's some sort of big rivalry in cricket. You'd have to be really thick to not work out the difference between making a generalisation and asking a damn question.
And I answered your damn question that you are just choosing to observe Indians being bitter when in the same social media there are lot of Indians who have also congratulated this English side and in fact were supporting your england over Australia in the semis. Also, if you go to the the ICC official twitter handle and check the replies from yesterday you will see a lot of people (even freaking non indians) are upset that NZ were hard one and no one is saying take the trophy away from Morgan or are upset because mighty England won.

Like I said if Aus or Ind won in the similar way people from england would have been upset for NZ. That does not mean all english people are bitter towards India. It's how rivalry in sports work. Maybe if you look at things with open mind you will see the true light. :cool:

Di Maria's angel

Losing to Australia in tiddlywinks would be painful.

Win the Ashes and really make this the greatest year in English cricket.

I think we will win too.
They're a strong outfit. Warner and Smith are back and I feel that'll cause a few problems for you.

I think this is the strongest Aussie side since 2005 (tours to UK).