ICC Cricket World Cup 2019

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
ffs if this thread is getting into reasons for partition and 'contribution' of British to the countries they ruled, better to close it. We move on to the Ashes!

AshRK

I'm not Indian and I was firmly cheering NZ on. They were extremely hard done by imo especially with the news that England were awarded a run too many during their chase. Typical New Zealanders won't complain because it's not in their character but they certainly have cause to feel cheated.
Thanks for clarifying you are not an Indian otherwise some here would have written "another indian hating england"

freeurmind

weak willed
Thanks for clarifying you are not an Indian otherwise some here would have written "another indian hating england"
I think anyone not English would have been cheering on NZ yesterday as they were the clear underdog? Also imo they are the classiest team in international cricket probably alongside Sri Lanka.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
It really is puzzling that that some people are confused as to why were Indians were supporting NZ in the final. Must be new to the concept of underdogs or sports in general.

Zlatattack

I regret not watching the full match. Flicked between overs here and there, did grocery shopping. Thought it would be a one sided game. NZ played great, the end of the match was exciting AF, shame about the silly rules - but honestly England were the better team all tournament, they deserved the win.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
It really is puzzling that that some people are confused as to why were Indians were supporting NZ in the final. Must be new to the concept of underdogs or sports in general.
I mean there's supporting and then there's calling the English cheats and not deserving?

rotherham_red

I regret not watching the full match. Flicked between overs here and there, did grocery shopping. Thought it would be a one sided game. NZ played great, the end of the match was exciting AF, shame about the silly rules - but honestly England were the better team all tournament, they deserved the win.
Yeah, the way I saw it was if any team deserved to have the luck go their way it was England. Easily the best team in the tournament, and how they got through two do-or-die games just to get to the semis against the two other semi-finalists is commendable enough and to then avenge the Aussies in the semis in that emphatic fashion.

Fair play to them, honestly.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I mean there's supporting and then there's calling the English cheats and not deserving?
Who cares? Why is such a huge deal being made out of opinions on the internet? None of this changes the fact that England won yesterday and our world champions.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Something very sweet and wholesome watching cricket players celebrate (vs football players!)

KM

Who cares? Why is such a huge deal being made out of opinions on the internet? None of this changes the fact that England won yesterday and our world champions.
This is also true. They're the best team in the world who started this process four years earlier. Something India could learn something from.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
No doubt.

Over the last 4 years we've been the best ODI side by far.

Thoroughly deserve to be Champions.
It's been a great turn around in the last few years.

20 years ago when the last WC was in England, we were knocked out before our offical WC song was released!

Djemba-Djemba

It's been a great turn around in the last few years.

20 years ago when the last WC was in England, we were knocked out before our offical WC song was released!
4 years ago we were an absolute embarrassment, playing a brand of cricket about 20 years behind the times.

Remarkable turnaround since then.

So much credit to Strauss Morgan and Bayliss.

AshRK

This is also true. They're the best team in the world who started this process four years earlier. Something India could learn something from.
It is sad BCCI with so much resource have wasted the last 4 years. Yes we have done incredibly well in Tests but seriously we should have done much better in limited over formats. The fact our management never bothered to fix the middle order is itself a sackable offence. With the way we have been running in Kohli era, won't be surprised if we do not win any thing in other 4 years. Need some drastic changes.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Bairstow being a ginger really puts me off from the team.
Understandable.

He’s one of those players that looks like he could be a massive twat with his attitude when he plays but in interviews actually seems like hes probably an alright guy.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
It is sad BCCI with so much resource have wasted the last 4 years. Yes we have done incredibly well in Tests but seriously we should have done much better in limited over formats. The fact our management never bothered to fix the middle order is itself a sackable offence. With the way we have been running in Kohli era, won't be surprised if we do not win any thing in other 4 years. Need some drastic changes.
Why do you think this has happened?

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Naseer Hussain was asked about Indian campaign and said that they have so much talent but don't select well at all . Singled out Dk as to how there is no way he is one of the six best batsmen India has

KM

Naseer Hussain was asked about Indian campaign and said that they have so much talent but don't select well at all . Singled out Dk as to how there is no way he is one of the six best batsmen India has
Nasser is spot on. DK has been a failure since 2007 and yet kept picked in. Scandalous.

and then there's the case of MSD but let's not get there.

KM

Understandable.

He’s one of those players that looks like he could be a massive twat with his attitude when he plays but in interviews actually seems like hes probably an alright guy.
Yeah this England team is quite likeable except of perhaps Broad but he's in the test team. That old team when Vaughan and KP used to play together though..

AshRK

Why do you think this has happened?
Lack of planning and too much dependency on our top 3 and a blind hope that Dhoni will play like old Dhoni. Our middle order after dhawan's injury was Shankar, Jadhav and Dhoni. That shows how little attention was given to that part.

I also believe Kohli has too much power and say. No way Shastri is a good coach. He is just a yes man who is there to blindly back Kohli. Pant should have been playing in limited over format ahead of Rayudu and Kartik. Similarly Iyer should have been given more chances so that he could have cemented number 4 position but he was left in cold for some reason. It all comes to poor planning and arrogance that hey we have Kohli and Rohit and they will win us.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Yeah this England team is quite likeable except of perhaps Broad but he's in the test team. That old team when Vaughan and KP used to play together though..
And the world still hasn’t been relieved of Vaughan and his opinions :(

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Nasser is spot on. DK has been a failure since 2007 and yet kept picked in. Scandalous.

and then there's the case of MSD but let's not get there.
Personally I don't think that MSD is the problem. India just needed to select & plan better around him rather than just drop him imo . Struggling to anyway pick 3 other middle order batsmen so not sure how dropping Dhoni would have helped .

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Lack of planning and too much dependency on our top 3 and a blind hope that Dhoni will play like old Dhoni. Our middle order after dhawan's injury was Shankar, Jadhav and Dhoni. That shows how little attention was given to that part.

I also believe Kohli has too much power and say. No way Shastri is a good coach. He is just a yes man who is there to blindly back Kohli. Pant should have been playing in limited over format ahead of Rayudu and Kartik. Similarly Iyer should have been given more chances so that he could have cemented number 4 position but he was left in cold for some reason. It all comes to poor planning and arrogance that hey we have Kohli and Rohit and they will win us.
I get that, but why poor planning? Cricket India has the depth of talent, $ resources and infrastructure to plan better than anyone else. So why did they plan so poorly?

Di Maria's angel

It's not 'debatable' because they won, they have the trophy.

It's done. Just accept it.
What do do you mean "accept it"? The game was tied after 8-9 hours of cricket.

Over the basis of the last 2 years, in particular, you can't say England don't deserve. Based on yesterday, you could argue that New Zealand did enough to win.

KM

Personally I don't think that MSD is the problem. India just needed to select & plan better around him rather than just drop him imo . Struggling to anyway pick 3 other middle order batsmen so not sure how dropping Dhoni would have helped .
He is 100% the part of the problem. The stats might not show it, but his style of taking it in the last over and then doing superhero stuff to win it for India became outdated in around 2016. Even in the SF, the bloke was constantly leaving the balls in the end and Jadeja was literally hitting all the boundaries, in the end, it became too much for him.

Pant should've been introduced two years ago. Iyer should never been dropped. Kohli is the most powerful individual in our team's history but hasn't got the ODI results to back it up. Shastri is practically his yes man.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
What do do you mean "accept it"? The game was tied after 8-9 hours of cricket.

Over the basis of the last 2 years, in particular, you can't say England don't deserve. Based on yesterday, you could argue that New Zealand did enough to win.
I can't argue that at all, because according to the rules, New Zealand lost.

It's done.

Di Maria's angel

He is 100% the part of the problem. The stats might not show it, but his style of taking it in the last over and then doing superhero stuff to win it for India became outdated in around 2016. Even in the SF, the bloke was constantly leaving the balls in the end and Jadeja was literally hitting all the boundaries, in the end, it became too much for him.

Pant should've been introduced two years ago. Iyer should never been dropped. Kohli is the most powerful individual in our team's history but hasn't got the ODI results to back it up. Shastri is practically his yes man.
I can't even understand why Rahane wasn't even considered. A very reliable option for number 4. We looked so fragile after having lost two wickets. Bizarre management and, in truth, we deserved to go out to teach those feckers a lesson.

Skills

Snitch
Playing them in position :

1. Sharma
2. Roy
3. Shakib
4. Smith
5. Stokes
6. Neesham in for Pandya
7. Carey (WK)
8. Amir
9. Ferguson
10. Bumrah
11. Starc

2 x IND
3 x AUS
1 x BAN
2 x ENG
1 x PAK
2 x NZ

Sounds about right.
Think Neesham squeezes for Pandya, but apart from that I'll stick with my Team of the Tournament from the group stages.