ICC World T20 2016

MJJ

You cannot blame the captain for the bowler not being able to defend 19 runs. 4 length balls, 4 sixes. Dhoni, Ganguly, Waugh, Fleming, Varun, doesn't matter which legend is captain.
Dhoni would have found a way, he always does in 50/50 situations.

Norris

That's a big conundrum isn't it? Keep your best bowlers for the last or allow the weaker one's to have as many runs to play with as possible. Most captains seem to prefer the former
This format does that to you. They think it's better to keep that stranglehold on the batsmen for as long as possible until it's next to impossible in the end. In England's case, it almost worked.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
What? How can you have a world t20 without the windies? They are everything thats good about the format.
Not T20 but the Champions Trophy. Either WI or Pakistan were going to miss out, Pak managed to save themselves by beating SL last summer.

MJJ

Not T20 but the Champions Trophy. Either WI or Pakistan were going to miss out, Pak managed to save themselves by beating SL last summer.
oh yeah remember that, didnt we cancel a series against someone because we didnt want to risk losing out?

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
He could have atleast spent some time discussing options with Stokes. Look at what Dhoni regularly does when it's crunch time ? It may not work every occassion, but he could have done a lot lot more, including the final over. Disappointing from him.

Starting to feel sorry for Stokes. That's his confidence completely shattered. Wonder if he will ever want to bowl in the final over ever again.
You basically answered your question. It may not work in every occasion and it hasn't worked here. I think Morgan gives a lot of freedom to his players and they have backed his approach. You can't have it both ways, play well when given the freedom and criticize for not giving a plan.

Stokes is a very confident player. He gives plenty on the field, dishes out plenty while sledging players and I'm sure he can live with it and come back. He's a talented player and he'll be back.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
:lol: What a hero. Give the man a full Old Trafford tour like Bolt got after Beijing.

Rumours of Stokes being an Arsenal fan. Would explain the bottle job.

zing

Zingle balls
We don't deserve him after the stick he has been getting from everyone in this thread. There wasn't even one positive comment about the guy before tonight.
Brathwaite - the cricketer the caf needs, but does not deserve.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Loving Braithwaite more after those tweets.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Think Morgan got it right in his post match interview: For a final, England were always +-25 runs short to have a genuine chance. Badree won WI the game in the first 5 overs.

Heroic bowling from Willey, Rashid and a freaky over from Root were great but you'll always go for 1 or 2 massive run conceding overs in T20: unfortunately for Stokes, it was in his final over. It was a pathetic attempt at professional international bowling but the loss is not his fault: Roy, Hales, or Morgan needed to make a significant contribution with the bat.

As a romatic, great for cricket that W.Indies won and it's also a great story of team bonding overcoming adversity. Am also delighted they did it in final stages without Gayle proving without doubt that it's a genuine team.

As for England, lots to be proud about. A year ago, knocked out of world Cup in 1st round by Bangladesh, yet now have possibly the most balanced team in this format which is still young and with lots of remaining potential to fulfill.

Lastly, thoroughly enjoyed the tournament and have become a genuine T20 fan. It's an amazing version of the game requiring talent, skill and nerve.

Sad it's over.

Last edited:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Think Morgan got it right in his post match interview: For a final, England were always +-25 short to have a genuine chance. Badree won WI the game in the first 5 overs.

Heroic bowling from Willey, Rashid and a freaky one from Root but you'll always go for 1 or 2 massive run conceding overs in T20: unfortunately for Stokes, it was him in the final over. But not entirely his fault: Roy, Hales, or Morgan needed to make a significant contribution with the bat.

As a romatic, great for cricket that W.Indies won and it's also a great story of team bonding overseeing adversity. Am also delighted they did it in final stages without Gayle proving without doubt that it's a genuine team.

As for England, lots to be proud about. A year ago, knocked out of world Cup in 1st round by Bangladesh, yet now have possibly the most balanced team in this format which is still Young and with lots of unfilled potential.

Lastly, thoroughly enjoyed the tournament and have become a genuine T20 fan. It's an amazing version of the game requiring talent, skill and nerve. Sad it's over.
You're not the first person who has said this today. It has its critics but I think it works and this is Cricket's best chance by far to truly globalize the game.

Skills

Snitch
You're not the first person who has said this today. It has its critics but I think it works and this is Cricket's best chance by far to truly globalize the game.
It's stupid how making it every 4 years now. It's the one thing the ICC have actually managed to get right, it's short it's great fun and it should be held fairly often.

RORY65

It's stupid how making it every 4 years now. It's the one thing the ICC have actually managed to get right, it's short it's great fun and it should be held fairly often.
The thing that would really grow the game is getting it in to the Olympics, you could keep the World T20 every 4 years if you had a T20 event at the Olympics as well. It's not my favourite form, tests still would be, but it's been a brilliant tournament and I also know people who usually don't watch cricket who have loved it. It's weird that the fact that it's fast and entertaining is sometimes used as a negative by people who only watch tests.

Norris

I think it's more of a commercial approach. Longer gaps will promote bigger and better sponsorship deals, more revenue from host nations etc. They are also looking to ensure that there is one major tourney every year.

NinjaFletch

The thing that would really grow the game is getting it in to the Olympics, you could keep the World T20 every 4 years if you had a T20 event at the Olympics as well. It's not my favourite form, tests still would be, but it's been a brilliant tournament and I also know people who usually don't watch cricket who have loved it. It's weird that the fact that it's fast and entertaining is sometimes used as a negative by people who only watch tests.
I don't think Cricket in the Olympics will ever happen. Cricket has a huge drugs problem that it is not the slightest bit interested in tackling (and I'm not talking about PEDs exclusively) improving its testing procedures to comply with Olympic standards is a stretch.

RORY65

I don't think Cricket in the Olympics will ever happen. Cricket has a huge drugs problem that it is not the slightest bit interested in tackling (and I'm not talking about PEDs exclusively) improving its testing procedures to comply with Olympic standards is a stretch.
I don't think it will happen either but it would be the best way to develop the sport and would also compensate for the T20 competition being changed to once every 4 years. I'm still not sure what the point of the Champions Trophy is given the next 50 over World Cup will only have 2 more teams than it anyway.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I am a cricket purist as well but it is hard to deny that T20 is the only way you can globalize cricket. So railing against it is futile. It is the future.

It is also important to grasp the criticism of T20 by fans of another era. It is not someone just being a hipster. Cricket's simplest definition is as being a contest between bat and ball. Some of the most talented, colorful, celebrated and beloved cricketers have been bowlers. In T20 you see an all time great bowler in Steyn being rendered completely helpless. There is little chance of any bowler capturing the imagination of the audience in this format ala batsmen.

That's not just down to the pitches but also the fact that bowler's participation is limited to just 4 overs. In fact overly bowler friendly pitches turn out boring T20 contests more often that not. Even in ODIs it is hard to strike the right balance between bat and ball when it comes to pitches and there too the balance has swung to one side way too much in the last decade.

So what is the consequence of such format which favors batsmen so much over bowlers? Eventually one particular skill set of the game will be in much much more demand than the other. In fact we probably have already seen impact of this, with a real drop in quality of bowlers in this era. It is only going to get worse. And this will hurt the game of cricket overall, even if T20 ends up bring in more countries and audience.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
What's the drugs thing about?! Never read or heard about that before.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I am a cricket purist as well but it is hard to deny that T20 is the only way you can globalize cricket. So railing against it is futile. It is the future.

It is also important to grasp the criticism of T20 by fans of another era. It is not someone just being a hipster. Cricket's simplest definition is as being a contest between bat and ball. Some of the most talented, colorful, celebrated and beloved cricketers have been bowlers. In T20 you see an all time great bowler in Steyn being rendered completely helpless. There is little chance of any bowler capturing the imagination of the audience in this format ala batsmen.

That's not just down to the pitches but also the fact that bowler's participation is limited to just 4 overs. In fact overly bowler friendly pitches turn out boring T20 contests more often that not. Even in ODIs it is hard to strike the right balance between bat and ball when it comes to pitches and there too the balance has swung to one side way too much in the last decade.

So what is the consequence of such format which favors batsmen so much over bowlers? Eventually one particular skill set of the game will be in much much more demand than the other. In fact we probably have already seen impact of this, with a real drop in quality of bowlers in this era. It is only going to get worse. And this will hurt the game of cricket overall, even if T20 ends up bring in more countries and audience.
I Don't follow baseball at all, never ever watched a game or know the rules... But does anyone know of this is what happened in baseball or is 'the pitcher' still an influential and sexy team member?

shabz

Looking back to that moment Willey mocked the WI player he got out with a 'Champion' chant and dance, I just knew from then that would come and bite England back.

Skills

Snitch
I Don't follow baseball at all, never ever watched a game or know the rules... But does anyone know of this is what happened in baseball or is 'the pitcher' still an influential and sexy team member?
Baseball games are dominated by pitchers. I believe the starting pitchers are on average the highest paid players in the MLB.