ICC World T20 2016

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
A) The suggestion is that the asking price from Star Sports to Fox Sports and Channel 9 to show the competition is too expensive. Fox Sports has shown every world twenty20 tournament and ICC event outside Australia this century.
B) Valid point. If Australia had a realistic shot at winning this, Fox and Channel 9 might have made a bigger effort to pay up and show the tournament.
All sounds very silly.
I second this. @Stack was rude to me once. feck the Kiwis.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
A) The suggestion is that the asking price from Star Sports to Fox Sports and Channel 9 to show the competition is too expensive. Fox Sports has shown every world twenty20 tournament and ICC event outside Australia this century.
B) Valid point. If Australia had a realistic shot at winning this, Fox and Channel 9 might have made a bigger effort to pay up and show the tournament.
Aren't Star and Fox both owned by Murdoch? Seems a bit strange that they can't land a deal.

I am. I like Aamir, and I couldn't care less about T20.
Oh, fair enough.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Aren't Star and Fox both owned by Murdoch? Seems a bit strange that they can't land a deal.

Oh, fair enough.
I don't know but Fox have deemed the asking price by Star Sports too high. They've paid big bucks to keep Rugby League and Aussie Rules rights in the last year or so and maybe this tournament had to lose out. Channel 9 were only ever going to show games involving Australia, possibly the semi finals and the final regardless of who was playing so them not being involved is no great issue for me.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
If the Kiwis weren't as hollier than thou when it comes to cricket, i'd have no issue with them. I'll confess Australia aren't angels but neither are New Zealand.
The trouble is our media are utterly pathetic. They latch onto anything where they can create some sort of Aussie kiwi drama because they are too stupid and incapable of coming up with anything original and interesting. Its cringe worthy and embarrasing. The underarm incident for example is over 30 years old but without fail every single cricket match of any form our media bring it up.
A great example of who insecure and pathetic our media are was when Aussie hosted the olympics. There are a couple of radio or tv hosts in Aussie who i thenk are called HG and Wells?. I may have that wrong. Anyway 1 week in to those Olympics NZ had only won 1 bronze medal. Aussie as hosts were doing brilliantly. HG and Wells during the show were calling out the medal tallies and one of them said " And here comes NZ with an avalanche of Bronze medals". Hilarious, I thought it was a very funny and very clever quip. Sadly and embarrassingly our local media latched onto this as some sort of major slight and even made our evening news tv. It all just keeps feeding itself.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I have completely forgotten what it was about but I remain adamant that I was completely wrong.
:lol:

It was such fun. I was quoting all sorts of statistics about the economies of Bangladesh and Pakistan, in attempt to support my argument, as if I had a clue what they meant.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
The trouble is our media are utterly pathetic. They latch onto anything where they can create some sort of Aussie kiwi drama because they are too stupid and incapable of coming up with anything original and interesting. Its cringe worthy and embarrasing. The underarm incident for example is over 30 years old but without fail every single cricket match of any form our media bring it up.
A great example of who insecure and pathetic our media are was when Aussie hosted the olympics. There are a couple of radio or tv hosts in Aussie who i thenk are called HG and Wells?. I may have that wrong. Anyway 1 week in to those Olympics NZ had only won 1 bronze medal. Aussie as hosts were doing brilliantly. HG and Wells during the show were calling out the medal tallies and one of them said " And here comes NZ with an avalanche of Bronze medals". Hilarious, I thought it was a very funny and very clever quip. Sadly and embarrassingly our local media latched onto this as some sort of major slight and even made our evening news tv. It all just keeps feeding itself.
I will admit i do read some Kiwi sites when it comes to rugby and cricket just to get the Kiwi perspective on the major rugby and cricket news from your side of the tasman. The journalists and broadcasters i find reasonable in the main Grant Nisbett being the exception. The general public who comment? Well, the majority do give off the impression that Aussies just have to sneeze the wrong way to get on the wrong side of Kiwis. I find it as funny as i do stupid. Our media aren't perfect with the anti All Blacks and anti McCaw sentiment in rugby but that's done to generate some interest in Rugby as much as anything else.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's by far the best international tournament in cricket. Consistently puts the 50 over world cup to shame, which is a massive bore fest.
Only because T20 has ruined people's attention spans and appreciation for the game. Test cricket is the real deal. But now I've lost interest in all of it due to the pitches combined with the complete lack of quality and balance.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
It's by far the best international tournament in cricket. Consistently puts the 50 over world cup to shame, which is a massive bore fest.
The group stage is, the knockout stage isn't IMO. I'll never forget the semi final between New Zealand and South Africa. A twenty20 match that goes down to the last ball doesn't have the same resonance for me.

Skills

Snitch
Only because T20 has ruined people's attention spans and appreciation for the game. Test cricket is the real deal. But now I've lost interest in all of it due to the pitches combined with the complete lack of quality and balance.
I've watched four 50 over world cups. All of them bar the 2011 edition have been mostly crap and a complete drag.

The t20 editions have been immensely competitive and produced far better cricket. Test cricket is for e-hipster to shout about how great it is. I bet hardly anyone sits and watches 5 days of cricket on television. Even fewer go out to actually watch a single day of it.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
I've watched four 50 over world cups. All of them bar the 2011 edition have been mostly crap and a complete drag.

The t20 editions have been immensely competitive and produced far better cricket. Test cricket is for e-hipster to shout about how great it is. I bet hardly anyone sits and watches 5 days of cricket on television. Even fewer go out to actually watch a single day of it.
This method of argument is increasingly common, and equally tiresome. Revisionism, cricket hipsters. Lazy, uninformed arguments which bely a lack of knowledge more than anything else.

Varun

Staff
Test cricket on good competitive pitches is great. Not nonsense with flat belters in the subcontinent. T20 is entertaining but can't get myself to care too much. ODIs are the middle ground, neither here nor there. Wouldn't say I don't give a shit about a tournament like the WC though, always great to win it regardless of format.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
T20 is more of an entertainment like a movie. I don't watch IPL (keep tab of scores) but don't mind watching WT20 as it is an international competition involving all teams.

Mani

In spite of game had gone through several changes, i still love watching test matches when its played away from Sub continent pitches.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
So India to beat Pakistan in the group stages and Pakistan to lift the trophy? Sounds like a plan.
Won't mind. Ind losing to Pakistan would be a disaster.
And Pak won't win the WC

amolbhatia50k

Wrong, and childish. Test cricket is the proper form of the game I grew up loving. 50 over cricket was good as well to a point. T20s are farcical and almost a different shittier sport entirely. If you prefer that then that's all well and good, but it's a fairly different contest and spectacle to what used to be cricket. So to sum up - I don't like this new type of cricket.

I also don't like the current game in general but that's a different point.

amolbhatia50k

This method of argument is increasingly common, and equally tiresome. Revisionism, cricket hipsters. Lazy, uninformed arguments which bely a lack of knowledge more than anything else.
Yep. Fair play if one likes this kind of cricket, but it is completely alien to test cricket, as it used to be, at least. It's hardly unsual for some people to prefer the format considered the true format pretty much throughout the existence of the sport. Infact, to find that unusual is... rather unusual.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Whilst I understand that people don't like T20, its hipster like to announce that you don't like T20 in a T20 thread.

Norris

Haven't followed the T20 culture too much neither Internationally nor league level except for the odd game or two (Then again haven't closely followed the sport for a few years). But that seems to be the direction, cricket is heading (But people have been saying that for a good few years now and there is still undeniable popularity in the other formats of the game even now). More money, less time, closer games seems to favour it.
Personally, I like all three formats. All of them have their merits and demerits. Ultimately, as a fan you just want to be entertained.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Personally, I like all three formats. All of them have their merits and demerits. Ultimately, as a fan you just want to be entertained.
Ultimately, that is the truth of it.

It's a little concerning how ICC have handled this tournament...ticket sales, TV rights, players stay and travel arrangements, everything is either last minute or in the process.

amolbhatia50k

Whilst I understand that people don't like T20, its hipster like to announce that you don't like T20 in a T20 thread.
If it means going against the grain then it's not really a bad word.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
If it means going against the grain then it's not really a bad word.
Not saying its a bad word.

BCCI has handled it badly as ever. No care for the visiting fans as usual.

Norris

Today will be the first proper Cricket match I watch in ages. Mostly just saw the scorecards.

Norris

Are you a fan of jazz or Ijaz Ahmed?
The first, but my name also happens to be the second (Not Ahmed). So I will go ahead and say neither. Apple stole the i Series from me btw. :p

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth

Woah woah woah.

Test cricket is still an incredible game, although I can only speak for myself but I will happily sit down and watch every ball from s five say test.

But I really enjoy T20 aswell and I'm really looking forward to this tournament, I don't think enjoying one form of the game means you don't enjoy another.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Fox Sports and channel 9 will show the tournament in Australia after all. Fox will show every game live, channel 9, in typical channel 9 fashion, will show Australia's games and the finals matches. A broadcast deal agreed better four days before the start then never.