David
Gakpo
Morata
Müller
Giroud
Lautaro
Mertens
Muani

OH MY GOD I CANT BELIVE HOW BAD STRIKERS ARE TODAY THEY WERE SO MUCH BETTER IN THE PAST!!!!!"

Charles Miller

Cup would be great with more brave teams like Korea and Japan. Now look at Switzerland. What's the point of playing that way? 90 minutes in the defense as if they were playing against Brazil 70. Some matches are boring for neutrals because one of the teams dont want to play.

Bobski

And ins 24 years you'll write something like this:

"Just on strikers, had a quick look at the 2022 tournament and it had:
Messi
Ronaldo
Suarez
Cavani
Lewandowski
Lukaku
Füllkrug
Leao
Kane
Mbappe
Vlahovic
Jesus
Martinez
Son
Nunez
Felix
Griezmann
Dybala
Moukoko
David
Gakpo
Morata
Müller
Giroud
Lautaro
Mertens
Muani

OH MY GOD I CANT BELIVE HOW BAD STRIKERS ARE TODAY THEY WERE SO MUCH BETTER IN THE PAST!!!!!"
Yep, very possible if some of these guys develop. Still think that period was an incredible time in football for depth of talent, the best I have seen, but perfectly fine to disagree.

Tarrou

Just on strikers, had a quick look at the 1998 tournament and it had;

Suker
Batistuta
Vieri
Bergkamp
Kulivert
Shearer
Owen
Ronaldo
Salas
Zamorano
Baggio
Henry
Bebeto
Klinsman
Bierhoff
Hernandez
Moreintes
Raul
Mijatovic
Benni McCarthy
Claudio Lopez
Trezeguet
Edmundo
Solskjaer
Flo
Etoo
Del Piero
Inzaghi
Chiesa
Van Hoojdonk
Jimmy Floyd
Asprilla
Crespo
Balbo

I mean, god damn.
20+ of those guys are probably 100m+ players today

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Cup would be great with more brave teams like Korea and Japan. Now look at Switzerland. What's the point of playing that way? 90 minutes in the defense as if they were playing against Brazil 70. Some matches are boring for neutrals because one of the teams dont want to play.,
The reality is that they care about the result and eventually having a chance to go through, not about the neutrals. Any smaller team knows that if you try to play toe to toe with the likes of Brazil you will get crushed. Also, Swiss players do not have the energy levels of S Korea or Japan ones to run nonstop.
Serbia played the same against Brazil created 0 chances and against Cameroon, the same team managed to be part of the best game of the tournament so far.

The worrying thing is that England played like that against USA, that is not acceptable in any way.

appleman

Supports
Atletico Madrid

Messi
Ronaldo
Suarez
Cavani
Lewandowski
Lukaku
Füllkrug
Leao
Kane
Mbappe
Vlahovic
Jesus
Martinez
Son
Nunez
Felix
Griezmann
Dybala
Moukoko
David
Gakpo
Morata
Müller
Giroud
Lautaro
Mertens
Muani

This whole thread is something you see every 2-4 years. Like they forgot their exact same feelings four years prior.

Maybe this one is different because people need more reasons to justify watching it with the amount of (overt) controversies.
But actually looking at your list, this tournament isn't all that bad.

That other list had Jimmy-Floyd and Van Hooijdonk, like people forgot about all the limits of past players. Memphis is no Van Persie or Van Nistelrooy, but I don't think Van Hooijdonk was any better.

It's goals like Gakpo's that will be remembered in years' time, but right now people see he's struggling because they've seen more than the highlights. In just two years all we remember is the sneaky header and the strong left footer.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

Messi
Ronaldo
Suarez
Cavani
Lewandowski
Lukaku
Füllkrug
Leao
Kane
Mbappe
Vlahovic
Jesus
Martinez
Son
Nunez
Felix
Griezmann
Dybala
Moukoko
David
Gakpo
Morata
Müller
Giroud
Lautaro
Mertens
Muani

Almost all of the players mentioned on Bobski's list scored at least 1 or more goals at WC 98
Just look at the player names on the goal list.
and compare it to Qatar's so far

Red the Bear

Something less generic
If you really want the mind blown look at the strikers who were not at that tournament. Feck it, will do it myself

Cole
Yorke
Fowler
Shevchenko
Rebrov
Elber
Marcio Amoroso
Sonny Anderson
Romario was still killing it in Brazil
Totti
Zola
Signori
Montella
Henrik Larsson
George Weah
Recoba
Anelka
Nuno Gomes
Pauleta

Probably dozens more, and as many have said shows the changing styles.

Great day today by all accounts, missed the first 2 games and only saw the last 15 of Brazil, but yesterday was an improvement so hopefully this is the start of the real tournament.
Truly the Golden age of strikers, we sure have some catching up to do, hopefully we'll see a revitalization of the position.

Red the Bear

Something less generic

Messi
Ronaldo
Suarez
Cavani
Lewandowski
Lukaku
Füllkrug
Leao
Kane
Mbappe
Vlahovic
Jesus
Martinez
Son
Nunez
Felix
Griezmann
Dybala
Moukoko
David
Gakpo
Morata
Müller
Giroud
Lautaro
Mertens
Muani

That's uncalled for i do like the quality of the ongoing tournament but to claim the striker list is anything comparable is misleading, half of the players listed are geriatric anyway and not all world cups are equal.

El Zoido

Football in general is less entertaining than it used to be. Most of the personality has been coached out of it.

Swordsman

This is definitely a low quality one so far. None of the big teams look particularly impressive, but I don't see many dark horses among the smaller teams either.

To be fair, the middle game in the group stage is usually pretty dull, which exacerbates the lack of quality. Once you reach the last game and teams are fighting to stay in the competition, the interest level rises, even if the quality doesn't.
So far only France looks the most impressive. Spain and Brazil get the job done. Joga Bonito has been dead for so long.

Kopral Jono

Cup would be great with more brave teams like Korea and Japan. Now look at Switzerland. What's the point of playing that way? 90 minutes in the defense as if they were playing against Brazil 70. Some matches are boring for neutrals because one of the teams dont want to play.
I still find the current competition format and number of teams competing to be the best compromise between an exclusive and an expanded World Cup but a less Uefa-centric tournament could well be the way forward. The likes of Poland and Switzerland and Wales, with all due respect second-rate European teams, bring precious little excitement to the tournament.

Kopral Jono

The one thing I also miss from World Cups of yesteryear is the old advertising boards, donning iconic names such as Gillette and Philips and Fujifilm, on the perimeter of the pitch -- as strange as this may sound those old sponsors added grander sense to the occasion! Hisense and fecking Wanda just don't quite do the job as well.

LoneStar

Some shock defeats, some late goals. It's been just fine. Nostalgia just makes you remember the best of previous world cups, or some childhood memory.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Some shock defeats, some late goals. It's been just fine. Nostalgia just makes you remember the best of previous world cups, or some childhood memory.
For real. The first world cup I remember is 94 and for me every one of them have been enjoyable for their own reasons and games. This list of past strikers, all of them weren't great nor consistent. Nostalgia really plays a lot in how things are perceived

Zetrio2002

The strikers are fine.

4 years ago, nobody really cares about Cavani but he put two goals past Portugal and eliminated them.

Now he's still at world cup. Everyone knows him but he didn't score any last night.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
How on earth are the strikers fine in comparison to previous years :lol: Strikers have been in smaller demand in recent years, of course there’s a dearth of talent there.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
I still find the current competition format and number of teams competing to be the best compromise between an exclusive and an expanded World Cup but a less Uefa-centric tournament could well be the way forward. The likes of Poland and Switzerland and Wales, with all due respect second-rate European teams, bring precious little excitement to the tournament.
UEFA is the best confederation in terms of achievements, they deserve to have more spots than the rest, and in terms of % they do get even less than Conmebol.
Poland itself got 3rd and 4th place in the past, playing good football, not the defensive style they have showed this year.

If other confederations want more spots they should start going further in the WC, that's how it works.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
The world cup has been fine, I think it is low on star quality but in terms of the games in the groups - not any worse than anything I have seen since 1998. 2014 I think was the best group stage since then and this is probably the second best IMO. Where a world cup true worth is determined is in the knock outs. That is where many have fallen by the way side since 1998.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Messi
Ronaldo
Suarez
Cavani
Lewandowski
Lukaku
Füllkrug
Leao
Kane
Mbappe
Vlahovic
Jesus
Martinez
Son
Nunez
Felix
Griezmann
Dybala
Moukoko
David
Gakpo
Morata
Müller
Giroud
Lautaro
Mertens
Muani

How many on each list are actually strikers and how many are 'forwards'?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

Messi
Ronaldo
Suarez
Cavani
Lewandowski
Lukaku
Füllkrug
Leao
Kane
Mbappe
Vlahovic
Jesus
Martinez
Son
Nunez
Felix
Griezmann
Dybala
Moukoko
David
Gakpo
Morata
Müller
Giroud
Lautaro
Mertens
Muani

That list is mostly past it former stars, average at best strikers or attacking midfielders - doesn't compare to the striker list for '98, not even close

At the moment we are desperate for a striker at Old Trafford, how many of that list would I want? Not many

I do think there is a dearth of top class striking talent in World football at the moment - obviously there are exceptions like Mbappe

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Personally, I think it’s been really good.

The 4 games a day onslaught has been waaaay too much though. Finding time for a game and it finish 1-0 or 0-0 after you’ve just found time to see a 0-0 is demoralising.

It’s happened less than I suggest, but the sequencing of bad games closely together has felt draining on some days.

redcucumber

Messi
Ronaldo
Suarez
Cavani
Lewandowski
Lukaku
Füllkrug
Leao
Kane
Mbappe
Vlahovic
Jesus
Martinez
Son
Nunez
Felix
Griezmann
Dybala
Moukoko
David
Gakpo
Morata
Müller
Giroud
Lautaro
Mertens
Muani

:lol: I worry about anyone that thinks the above list of forwards (not strikers) is remotely comparable to those at the 1998 World Cup.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04

Messi
Ronaldo
Suarez
Cavani
Lewandowski
Lukaku
Füllkrug
Leao
Kane
Mbappe
Vlahovic
Jesus
Martinez
Son
Nunez
Felix
Griezmann
Dybala
Moukoko
David
Gakpo
Morata
Müller
Giroud
Lautaro
Mertens
Muani

to be honest that list kind of sucks

Füllkrug? You must be taking the piss.

El Jefe

20+ of those guys are probably 100m+ players today
Its a nice list but well over half of those players didn't scratch 20 goals in their domestic league in the season leading up to France 98. Some players were well past their peak and others were very young and not established at the time.

You remember things more fondly as a child. I remember thinking Zenden and Denilson were world class as a child watching them in 98, as an adult now they weren't but you couldn't tell me they weren't at the time.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
UEFA is the best confederation in terms of achievements, they deserve to have more spots than the rest, and in terms of % they do get even less than Conmebol.
Poland itself got 3rd and 4th place in the past, playing good football, not the defensive style they have showed this year.

If other confederations want more spots they should start going further in the WC, that's how it works.
UEFA also had more participants than the rest since always (bar the first tournament that they actively boycotted), particularly 3 and sometimes 4 times more participants than Conmebol. Nevertheless, the animators are always the same 5-6 teams that represent around 10% of UEFA's federations (to Conmebol's 30%) and about 50% of its population (about the same as Brazil alone in Conmebol).

Anyway, I'll admit that Conmebol's football is going downhill since Bosman and that the sport is becoming increasingly more euro centric quality wise. I hope teams like Morocco, Iran, Australia or Japan make it out of the group stage so there's at least a breath of fresh air.

Lee565

I think there are too many past it players in this world cup like saurez, cavani, ronaldo, messi, bale, hazard with little in regards to great players in their prime, the main one that stands out is mbappe and hard to think of many others on that level?

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I think there are too many past it players in this world cup like saurez, cavani, ronaldo, messi, bale, hazard with little in regards to great players in their prime, the main one that stands out is mbappe and hard to think of many others on that level?
This is spot on. I was talking with a friend about his, where this world cup just happens to be in between generations. All the great players you mention are well off their best and the next big group of stars either haven't hit their best yet (like Spain and Brazil's young stars) ). The age group that should be in their prime are either not here at all or injured (Benzema, Salah, Neymar, Mane, Haaland). Neymar never quite achieved the level we originally expected and some of the others like Salah and Haaland don't play for the greatest national teams.

MUnchies

I don't know about that, my national broadcaster is showing Netherlands Qatar and it's been terrible.
Two teams who have nothing to play for, so understandable it's going to be terrible. The Ecuador Senegal game is fantastic, back and forth affair.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
How many on each list are actually strikers and how many are 'forwards'?
Who cares. You just go through the tournament and list every name you remember, who kinda played that role at some point during his career.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Two teams who have nothing to play for, so understandable it's going to be terrible. The Ecuador Senegal game is fantastic, back and forth affair.
Ok but are we only allowed to talk about the good games now?

Also Netherlands had to win to top their group right? And Qatar are the hosts so it's not like it's a completely dead rubber.

MoskvaRed

I don’t think it’s been noticeably worse than most (maybe worse than 2018) and the Group stage always throws up some dreary games. Worst host nation team by far though and, unless they award a future WC to St Helena or Pitcairn Island, I imagine Qatar will keep that distinction.