Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
they just beat a team by the slimmest of margins.
This is genius. Spinning a win into a virtual negative.

Winning by a single goal - for a club with Liverpool's history as well. Pathetic from Klopp.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
But they're closer to the top 4, not further away. 8th is closer to 4th than 10th is to 4th.

Ignoring league position to focus on points is disingenuous because of how early in the season Rodgers was sacked. The table hadn't spread out, hence my point about the gaps between them and 4th and them and 17th being almost the same.
Hey, they were joint top after the opening game.

Klopp out!

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I'm supposed to be impressed by Liverpool this season? I haven't been. They've been a team that's had a hard time closing out games and were only two minutes from being talked about completely different on here.
That's right, Snow. Educate these fools on that balmy night in Barcelona.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
It is. Football is back for me. It was a delight to beat you so thoroughly and yesterday is a game to remember for years to come. Even for neutrals.

Trading that for a generic CL campaign that ends as soon as you meet one of Bayern, Barca or Real? Nope. Last night is what football is all about.
When did you beat Chelsea in the Europa League?

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
When did you beat Chelsea in the Europa League?
The point is, it's more fun winning games like last night than losing in the CL. Of course anybody would rather win the big one but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy wonderful wins against very good teams.

I think Klopp will get Liverpool into the CL pretty soon but until then this ride is superb.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
The point is, it's more fun winning games like last night than losing in the CL. Of course anybody would rather win the big one but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy wonderful wins against very good teams.

I think Klopp will get Liverpool into the CL pretty soon but until then this ride is superb.
But saying you'd rather be in the Europa then the Champions League? Nah, sounds like lies to make your situation seem better then it is. Which is stupid as your win was a great and fun performance. Just no need to make up stuff to try and big it up.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
But saying you'd rather be in the Europa then the Champions League? Nah, sounds like lies to make your situation seem better then it is. Which is stupid as your win was a great and fun performance. Just no need to make up stuff to try and big it up.
I'd prefer to be in the EL semi than fail in the CL group stage like last season. That was miserable. This European campaign is actively awakening Liverpool Football Club from a slumber. It's brilliant.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I'd prefer to be in the EL semi than fail in the CL group stage like last season. That was miserable. This European campaign is actively awakening Liverpool Football Club from a slumber. It's brilliant.
Sure it is, while you're worse off in the league than us!

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Or even better, wait until the end of the season and see where everyone ends up. One of or both clubs could end up with a trophy and a Champions League place.

It doesn't seem like a fair comparison to make with Liverpool and either of Spurs and United though. Pochettino and Van Gaal are both in their second seasons having had two summers to buy/sell and work with their players. Klopp's had one January window so I suppose the real question is, where do you think this Liverpool squad should be? If you think we should be closer to the top four (within 1-8 points better off than we are now) then he has been below par.

His start wasn't amazing. it's been said on here before that his results were fairly mixed up until February, at which point we did improve in terms of performance and for the most part results. There's still a lot of work to be done though and he has to get his transfers right if we're going to continue to improve next season. The transfer windows are where Liverpool managers normally fall short.
I think that he should be closer to the top 4 if what he's done is improving the team. That team has shown more than this in the past and should be capable of more if Klopp is doing wonders for their morale. United have been poor, perhaps poorer than Liverpool if you go into detail of every league match (definitely poorer in Europe) but they are still ahead, as are 3 other teams for now.

I don't disagree that the comparison is an unfair one but it's one that needs to be made if there's to be a comparison at all and if people are going to claim that they've improved they need to show it. Before the win on Thursday they had 1 win in the past 5. Of course it won't matter at all if they keep up the good form in Europe and simply win the competition. That seems to be the smarter way of doing things but they go into every game trying to win and they simply haven't done it at an impressive degree.

But they're closer to the top 4, not further away. 8th is closer to 4th than 10th is to 4th.

Ignoring league position to focus on points is disingenuous because of how early in the season Rodgers was sacked. The table hadn't spread out, hence my point about the gaps between them and 4th and them and 17th being almost the same.
Points matter more than positions.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I haven't checked Liverpool's points per game, but as a general example:

If you're behind 3 points after 10 match days then you lost 0.3 points per game.
If you're then 6 points behind after 30 match days you lost 3 further points over (the next) 20 games which means 0.15 points per game, which means you performed better than before while still widening the gap.
If you want to talk points per matches then Klopp has 1,7 vs the 1,5 before he took over. Yes that's improvement but it's a marginal one point wise which is, for a lack of a better word, my point.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
It is. Football is back for me. It was a delight to beat you so thoroughly and yesterday is a game to remember for years to come. Even for neutrals.

Trading that for a generic CL campaign that ends as soon as you meet one of Bayern, Barca or Real? Nope. Last night is what football is all about.
I'm glad for you guys. I enjoyed the game also, not being a fan of either club. But what a night, eh? That's what European football is about for me. :)

ZDwyr

He's definitely improved them in Europe. I can't imagine they would have gone to Dortmund and got a 1-1 with Rodgers in charge. They are set-up much better defensively. It's interesting that while it would appear they have improved domestically, and beaten some good teams, they haven't made any real progression on the table.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
He's definitely improved them in Europe. I can't imagine they would have gone to Dortmund and got a 1-1 with Rodgers in charge. They are set-up much better defensively. It's interesting that while it would appear they have improved domestically, and beaten some good teams, they haven't made any real progression on the table.
We're not the only side to improve in the league. Southampton have hit a good run of form recently and West Ham have become a much better side under Bilic. You've got City and Arsenal still in the top four and Spurs and Leicester's seasons have limited how much progress we can make up the table with our results.

We've still got issues at the back as well, specifically with individual mistakes and Klopp hasn't been able to fix that as of yet. Those mistakes are costing us and despite an increase in goals scored in 2016, we're still on course to concede around 50 goals for the fourth season running. Until the defence improves it's hard to see us maintaining success over the course of multiple seasons.

Cait Sith

Results aside, they are playing very good football at times considering the average personnel. They have a clear game plan. Just not consistent enough. A transfer window or two, a proper preseason and Klopp should be able to turn Liverpool into a much more competitive team.

YzWayne

They will be one of the challengers for the title next season if Klopp buys right during the summer.

francobaresi

For the first time in my life, Liverpool have a manager I find really difficult to hate :(

Klopp would've been the perfect choice for us and we missed the boat

Varun

Staff
I'll wait to see how he does against teams sitting back and defending with 9/10 players before hailing him. That has always been what he finds tough, always been good against teams that have a go due to his style.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I thought the title challenge by Rodgers awakened your club? It was a bigger achievement by miles.

Klopp's stint so far for me has been a mixed bag with clear positives and direction but also many stumbles and periods of mediocrity. All in all the signs are upward IMO as the potential in attack and attitude is evident. But it has to be a lot more meaningful particularly in league football where klopp has been average.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
I thought the title challenge by Rodgers awakened your club? It was a bigger achievement by miles.

Klopp's stint so far for me has been a mixed bag with clear positives and direction but also many stumbles and periods of mediocrity. All in all the signs are upward IMO as the potential in attack and attitude is evident. But it has to be a lot more meaningful particularly in league football where klopp has been average.
Lots of parallels with 2004/2005.

- New manager with real pedigree
- Inherits decent but flawed squad
- Gives emphasis to cups as league requires too much consistency
- Gets to League Cup final - loses in a close game
- Emerge in Europe by knocking out more fancied sides
- Sheer will getting them through in unlikely circumstances

Klopp is exploiting what he's got brilliantly. Give him some windows to buy and give him a preseason to prepare his side. It'll likely come good.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
For the first time in my life, Liverpool have a manager I find really difficult to hate :(

Klopp would've been the perfect choice for us and we missed the boat
This is an interesting one. I'm not sure he'd have gone to United. Not because Liverpool is a better job or anything like that; it's the fact that he's gone to a club who aren't currently at an elite level - a real project is required. There's money but not compared to the very richest clubs. This seems to attract Klopp.

Winning the league with Liverpool would be a greater feat than doing it at United. Klopp wants to do it the hard way.

togg

He will make Liverpool a top club again, no doubt. I love his passion, his encouragement, the way he celebrates, hugs his team. He's a good leader and probably a good listener. LVG is a dinosaur in comparison.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
This is an interesting one. I'm not sure he'd have gone to United. Not because Liverpool is a better job or anything like that; it's the fact that he's gone to a club who aren't currently at an elite level - a real project is required. There's money but not compared to the very richest clubs. This seems to attract Klopp.

Winning the league with Liverpool would be a greater feat than doing it at United. Klopp wants to do it the hard way.
I know Liverpool fans like to romanticise pretty much everything, but I think it was far more of a right place at the right time thing. If the United job had been vacant last October, with Liverpool pressing on with Rodgers, and assuming Mourinho hadn't yet become available, then it's likely Klopp would've got a shot at the job here.

The project to get United back to title winners is almost as big as Liverpool's, and whilst it wouldn't be as big a title win as for Liverpool (due to the timescales since last win), the next manager to get United to win a title will be part of club legend.

Anyway, it won't be Klopp. Hopefully he never wins another league title again (in this country anyway). I think we've a better shot at league success with the other obvious candidate anyway.

Classical Mechanic

Or he had effectively been sacked by his old club and was looking for a job.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
Um, as far as I know, he resigned against the wishes of the club. @Sphaero will be able to correct me if I'm wrong.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I don't, a priori, prefer the Europa league. What I am saying is that I have a hard time imagining a cl campaign this year being equally enjoyable.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
I know Liverpool fans like to romanticise pretty much everything, but I think it was far more of a right place at the right time thing. If the United job had been vacant last October, with Liverpool pressing on with Rodgers, and assuming Mourinho hadn't yet become available, then it's likely Klopp would've got a shot at the job here.
I guess this is a total unknown, and you could be right, but Klopp does seem to have a profile that he pursues - Dortmund and Liverpool match that whereas United don't so much.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
I guess this is a total unknown, and you could be right, but Klopp does seem to have a profile that he pursues - Dortmund and Liverpool match that whereas United don't so much.
Yes that sample of two certainly suggests there's a very specific profile of club he would only choose to manage and nowhere else.

Maybe it's having You'll Never Walk Alone as the club's anthem which is the key determinant for him. Celtic next then when it goes tits up at 'pool.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What is that profile? what is the fundamental difference between United and Liverpool?

Treble

What is that profile? what is the fundamental difference between United and Liverpool?
Like Bayern, United are topdogs, whereas Dortmund and Liverpool are underdogs. I guess it is something along these lines.

JPRouve

Scout
Like Bayern, United are topdogs, whereas Dortmund and Liverpool are underdogs. I guess it is something along these lines.
But United aren't a topdogs or a top level team, we are underdogs too and Liverpool have money. Liverpool and Dortmund don't have the same profile.

Edit: Liverpool are more like Wolfsburg a wealthy club, less wealthy than the very wealthy clubs while Dortmund had no money and were in danger of disappearing.

Treble

But United aren't a topdogs or a top level team, we are underdogs too and Liverpool have money. Liverpool and Dortmund don't have the same profile.
It's relative. Liverpool may be rich relative to Dortmund but United are supposed to be the biggest club in the world.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Yes that sample of two certainly suggests there's a very specific profile of club he would only choose to manage and nowhere else.

Maybe it's having You'll Never Walk Alone as the club's anthem which is the key determinant for him. Celtic next then when it goes tits up at 'pool.
Well it's bigger than the sample of zero based on pure supposition.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
About 20 odd years of winning a league. Liverpool win the league and it's very significant. United win the league and its revert to type.

Surely you wouldn't disagree that winning it at Liverpool would be a bigger challenge.

JPRouve

Scout
Well it's bigger than the sample of zero based on pure supposition.
In my opinion, you are wrong. He joined Liverpool because it's a good club, with a good history and they offered him the job, nothing else.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
Again it's the romanticised notion of Liverpool which probably bears most resemblance to Dortmund (underdogs, great atmosphere, passion, unequivocal support for team).

Of course, in this country, everyone knows the reality, that Anfield is largely a morgue apart from some contrived and cheesy set pieces early and late in games, the club have been profligate and mismanaged rather than true underdogs, and the fans turn on their team/manager with a fair degree of regularity.