5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marwood

It's about being reasonable, the way some fans are posting, it's as if Sancho went to the hyperbolic timer chamber to come back ala Super Saiyan 2. His improvements won't be noticed that quickly and that evidently. Considering his fee, it's a frustrating situation for sure but it's the most reasonable thing to do (being patient).
But equally it's not like expecting the average bloke to do two months intensive training and turn up a superman.

He was already supposed to be a top flight athlete.

With that basis the two month training session should, you'd think, have some immediate, visible effect.

I just don't know how many years a player can go without really performing before it becomes too late.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
But equally it's not like expecting the average bloke to do two months intensive training and turn up a superman.

He was already supposed to be a top flight athlete.

With that basis the two month training session should, you'd think, have some immediate, visible effect.

I just don't know how many years a player can go without really performing before it becomes too late.
I'm not sure the effect should be immediate tbh. Something like this is rarely done unless a serious injury so I go about it with the same approach, I can't expect instant impact from a player who was struggling badly before.

Olecurls99

Although a lot of the criticism is valid, I think some may be missing some huge potential context in that the final form (or even just the next year version) of the type of football ETH wants to play is exactly suited to Sancho's quality.

The idea at least should be that we dominate possession, rely less on box to box transitions, which particularly highlight Sancho's weaknesses and instead we are camped in the opposition half/outside their penalty box. This in turn will allow for more nuanced play making and the creation of opportunities via short passing, take-ons and movement on and off the ball.

That doesn't take away from the fact that he should still be trying to improve on his physical attributes like stamina and ball carrying ability in tight spaces without secondary support etc.
Abso bloody exactly

Bondi77

How would moving him centrally suddenly turn him into a good player? He can't affect the game on the wings where one is less involved in the game, but you want him in the middle where the game goes through him and the CMs? He'll be even more of a liability.
Because he has not played centrally and looked ineffective there yet that is the reason posters are putting that proposal forward and it is farcical. He will get less space in the centre and less time on the ball and he would be an absolute turnstile defensively and I will not even mention the workrate.
He has made his name as a winger at Dortmund and that is why we forked out all the cash for him and it seems like with the amount of space and time he was afforded there he could put his good technique to use and have a good impact there.
The simple fact is that he has to replicate the same form at Utd but because the league is more intense and is played at a much faster pace then he has to step up to those levels to be effective and if he cannot do that then he will be a bench player for sure.
All this garbage comparing him to when Rashford was out of form and that he will adjust just has no substance as Rashford while out of form has always had the tools to be a standout in the league because he has pace and power.
As I have said before I really hope it works out for him but if he does not have the mentality to go that extra mile in training or to push through pain barriers on Matchday then it is not going to work.

The United

Let's give him some time. Rashford only kicked it into overdrive in like October/November, so let's give EtH some time with Sancho.

I think he's more of a Bernardo Silva than a Mahrez, if that makes sense. With Antony and Garnacho emerging on the wings, I could easily see Sancho in that 10 position, because he doesn't quite have the tools to play as a wide player right now. He's not an aggressive enough runner with the ball.
And bench Bruno?

People talk about this player and that player being good in no 10 (potentially) while forgetting that we already have one of the best no 10 playing for us already.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
And bench Bruno?

People talk about this player and that player being good in no 10 (potentially) while forgetting that we already have one of the best no 10 playing for us already.
Yeh it’s weird and sounds desperate from those wanting Sancho to do well. Sancho has done nothing to show that he should be benching anyone really. United have turned their season around quite nicely after those early horror shows, mostly without Sancho.

eire-red

And bench Bruno?

Did I say that anywhere in my post? Bruno is 28, Sancho is what? 22? Sancho has good attributes to play that position in my view, and Bruno can't play every game. We also have no cover really if Bruno does get injured. But never did I suggest we should bench Bruno. He creates at least one gilt edged chance a game.

I dont think Sancho makes our best starting 11 right now, but he can still be a quality player for us and operate potentially in all of the 3 positions behind the striker. Long term, I think he could be best suited to a 10 role.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Did I say that anywhere in my post? Bruno is 28, Sancho is what? 22? Sancho has good attributes to play that position in my view, and Bruno can't play every game. We also have no cover really if Bruno does get injured. But never did I suggest we should bench Bruno. He creates at least one gilt edged chance a game.

I dont think Sancho makes our best starting 11 right now, but he can still be a quality player for us and operate potentially in all of the 3 positions behind the striker. Long term, I think he could be best suited to a 10 role.
Bruno is 28, not 35. He's not on any kind of physical decline, what? :lol:

Sancho has struggled to finish 90 minutes in a lot of games, and you're suggesting bruno can't play every game? The guy damn well plays every game and never get's injured. Sancho can only hope to have the stamina and determination Bruno has.

Bondi77

So because he's not played there therefore he should? You are basically saying we should put him in there without any proof or evidence he'd perform there. Why would you bench Bruno for Sancho? Thing is, you cant compare Sancho to rashford at all, because even when Rashford is in poor form he still tries and does have an influence, sancho is like playing with ten men when he's at his worst.
I don't think you have read my post properly...try again.

The United

That's why I asked for your opinion. Bruno does play every game. Even if you suggested that Sancho should play in the No. 10 position in some rare games, do you think he would be happy to do that? Currently, he does not bench anyone in any of the three positions behind the forward, and it will be harder if Rashford goes back to the left side permanently if we get a decent No. 9 later on. Long term, we should get rid of Sancho if his current level doesn't improve (which is likely) and get someone who can potentially bench Anthony on the right.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yep he did. The big one, where Rashy skied it.

Sancho yesterday got dispossessed just once and lost the ball to 1 miscontrol. He had 90% pass accuracy, the highest in the whole team, with 20/22 passes. He should have had an assist when he played Rashy through in the chance where he skied it, so he has the 2nd highest xGA after Rashford. Defensively he had 1 tackle, 1 interception, 1 block and in total 6 ball recoveries. He attempted 3 take ons (only AWB attempted more) beating his man once.
(stats here: https://fbref.com/en/matches/96fc7983/Barcelona-Manchester-United-February-16-2023-Europa-League)

He worked his arse off yesterday, he helped maintain possession and he played some really nice passes. The only thing I hold against him is, fluffing that chance that fell on his left foot. Overall, he was very frugal with possession and the literal last thing you can accuse him of, is losing possession frequently. Did you watch the game or did you post this based on preconceptions you had of him?

Compared to Antony, he shoots less but they have the same goals. Antony has 4 goals from 49 shots and Sancho 4 from 15. So I wouldn't say Antony shooting all the time is good. And Sancho's passing is significantly better.
Thanks, good post. Feels like people have already made up their mind about him and Antony and unless they do something that involves a goal / assist or explosive, it’ll go largely unnoticed amongst the rubble of criticism.

Of course he should have done more on the goal but he otherwise had a pretty good game.

Olecurls99

That's why I asked for your opinion. Bruno does play every game. Even if you suggested that Sancho should play in the No. 10 position in some rare games, do you think he would be happy to do that? Currently, he does not bench anyone in any of the three positions behind the forward, and it will be harder if Rashford goes back to the left side permanently if we get a decent No. 9 later on. Long term, we should get rid of Sancho if his current level doesn't improve (which is likely) and get someone who can potentially bench Anthony on the right.
I think it's good to have somebody that is that flexible. He can definitely do a good job in 3 positions at the moment, which is useful and not to be underestimated, and I think there's a good chance of improvement under Ten Hag.

I certainly wouldn't sell him at a cut rate price. That'd be daft.

Man Utd 3:0 Leicester

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Good performance today. From now on I think he’s best either central or on the left if Shaw is starting as they have a decent connection and he can pull defenders towards him while also giving pass to dangerous positions like the other week.

Nice pic:

mu4c_20le

I'd be very very surprised if he didn't work out in ETH's system. He's silky on the ball.

Golden Nugget

Delighted with him. Was a part of all good things that happened in the last 30 mins or so. Really enjoyed the fun he had with Wan Bisaka of all players.

Should have had another goal and assist

Olecurls99

I'm just gonna leave this here :lol:

Skills

Snitch
Played very well. Should've buried his other chance, and was trying unnecessarily hard to get the donkey scoring. He should've just taken some shots himself

The United

He came very much alive whenever he got near the box or around.

His role right now should be a sub in second half when the other team tries to attack which leaves him a lot of space to work with.

Roboc7

Playing centrally is how best chance of making most of his talent in the Premier League. I’d like to see him start there against Barca.

RORY65

Really happy for him, I thought that was the best 45 minutes he's had as a United player. I think playing him as a number 10 as he comes back in to the team is smart, when he's played wide he's had a habit of drifting out of the game but putting him there ensures that he will be involved and if it helps build his confidence and sharpness then I'm sure he will be more influential wherever he plays on the pitch.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Good performance today. From now on I think he’s best either central or on the left if Shaw is starting as they have a decent connection and he can pull defenders towards him while also giving pass to dangerous positions like the other week.

Nice pic:

His connection with Wan-Bissaka wasn’t half bad either today. Think he gets along best with those that actively try and link up.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Best performance in a red shirt for me, involved in everything. Yes Jadon!

3KDré

He is a half space man. I like him at 10 because he's still on that right hand side, but in the half space where is most dangerous. It at least gives us a threat on the right hand side.

flappyjay

Could have left with a brace and an assist not a bad cameo from him. Definitely better in the middle where he can pass and move rather than take on players.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Very good today, looks like creating something every time he gets the ball. Can go left or right as well.

I like him, he will not compete for RW also, I think Antony is better there, and then we have that new Bruno guy.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
You must be gutted after today

he changed the game for us
Such a weird and strange post.

Why would I be gutted?

I get proven wrong, we get a player who helps contribute to wins, as a fan I'm ecstatic.

Unlike the mental cohort in here who cannot accept genuine critique.

Wobble your head.

The United

I'm just gonna leave this here :lol:
What is there to laugh? He didn't start as no 10. He came and did the job against a poor team who was falling apart in the second half. We didn't buy him to be a good sub (even though that is a good thing but I doubt he would be happy with which I pointed out). We bought him to be a good starter which he is not at this moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.